Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 532

Thread: Perfume Storage

Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #151
    Asha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,428

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    And I did. But I will tell you right now, I'm not going to use the search function to search for threads on the search function.

    But thanks for your input.
    In defense of searching the old threads---there was a new "policy" put in recently about this. Newbies are kindly asked to check the FAQ's before posting a new thread. If a moderator feels the new thread is already covered in the FAQ's, it could be deleted.

    Of course, the FAQ is a work in progress, and I have no idea if it has any links to the storage threads.

  2. #152

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    In defense of searching the old threads---there was a new "policy" put in recently about this. Newbies are kindly asked to check the FAQ's before posting a new thread. If a moderator feels the new thread is already covered in the FAQ's, it could be deleted.

    Of course, the FAQ is a work in progress, and I have no idea if it has any links to the storage threads.
    Checked the FAQ before I posted initially - Grant's entry had 2 links on storage, both broken and lead to error pages (or forbidden, I forgot which).

    I am not against searching threads - why would I mention it in my initial post otherwise?

    Note the original post:
    I've read all the threads I found about storage.
    I didn't say I read through all the links on storage that there were on the forum, only those I found. Can't do more than that.

    But, really, lets not have this become a thread about searching, which it is becoming. I was hoping this to be a thread of practical solutions and concrete recommendations.

    P.S. Note date of registration. I may have been out of touch for a while, but a newbie - hardly.
    Last edited by FroFro; 14th September 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  3. #153
    DustB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    9,210

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    I didn't say I read through all the links on storage that there were on the forum, only those I found. Can't do more than that.
    Clever words, I see. Really a great moment--a question about storage--to be slicing through exact meanings and, maybe I should say, misleading suggestions.

    There are several threads and lenthy ones already available. You suggested you'd read those. Dollops of humor are very nice, but dollops of humility are nice too. Sometimes members find getting the information and answers to their questions to be valuable, sometimes members find having their own thread about their question to be what's valuable to them. If reading members can suggest you find the information that they and others like them have already posted to the forum, they're helping you to find the information you want.

    I'll close this thread if it stays off topic. The search function is useful and respects the amounts of work members here have already put into it.

    If members have further comments on the storage topic they can post them here, but I'll stop this thread from being a discussion of the site's seach feature and its use.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Well, I'm enjoying the thread- especially the photos of that spectacular collection- makes mine look miniscule! It's like a license to shop. No, a mandate to!

  5. #155

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    I just added a pic, to show how I just stack up the boxes on one another, on the lower shelves without the formed rack.

    Here is a pic of how I just stack the fragrances....


    And here is an old pic from a while ago at my old place, a lot more fragrances have been added to the collection since this was taken...

    I was going to add custom made shelves but I was worried there wouldn't be enough room for everything, but I have seen some members with custom made shelves and they look great!
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th September 2008 at 08:33 AM.

  6. #156

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Is there a way to link together all the 'fragrance storage' threads like all of the 'fake Creed' threads? Anyone know?

  7. #157

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I just added a pic, to show how I just stack up the boxes on one another, on the lower shelves without the formed rack.

    Here is a pic of how I just stack the fragrances....
    Oh, rub it in, why don't you! :-D

    *turns green with envy*
    Last edited by FroFro; 15th September 2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    Oh, rub it in, why don't you! :-D

    *turns green with envy*
    I'm sorry but I would love to see your collection, if you could post some pics of it. I am sure it is a nice collection....and by the way, I am not sure if you have seen the post a pic thread yet, but it is truly a wonderful thread! :-)
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th September 2008 at 10:12 PM.

  9. #159

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I'm sorry but I would love to see your collection, if you could post some pics of it. I am sure it is a nice collection....and by the way, I am not sure if you have seen the post a pic thread yet, but it is truly a wonderful thread! :-)
    There was an old thread on collections - I was a very bright green for weeks after it. I try to stay away from those nowadays.

    Mine is far more modest - I just buy those I like any time I chance to encounter them - and as they are old and discontinued and who knows how they were stored before I got them, I thought giving them a chance in a cooler would be a good idea.

    I just use a tv turntable for mine and keep them on the top of my dresser. Very convenient - you can turn it and easily access all of them. I only have a very old picture, I've probably doubled (if not tripled) since then (to the point of keeping some fragrances in a box under the bed). A TV turntable can't hold them all.

    Once I figure out the storage issue, I'll definitely take a picture - although it'll be embarrassingly tiny compared to some people's walk-in closets of fragrances.
    Last edited by FroFro; 15th September 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  10. #160

    Default Re: Fragrance storage

    Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Well, I'm enjoying the thread- especially the photos of that spectacular collection- makes mine look miniscule! It's like a license to shop. No, a mandate to!
    Thank you. I am sure you have a good looking collection. You should post some pics of it :-)

  11. #161
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Question Fragrance Archival questions.

    I have searched here on base notes and found some information on archival storage of frags. Some threads agree some differ so, let me ask now for a more up to date response. I store my fragrances in frost free refrigerators at 53 (+-) degrees F or for the rest of the world 11.66 C. What is the lowest frag. temperature without damage and is the before mentioned temperature ideal or, if not, what is? Also, do body lotions suffer or benefit from the same storage? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 3rd April 2009 at 02:03 PM.

  12. #162
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Fragrance Archival questions.

    I really would appreciate this information.

  13. #163

    Default Re: Fragrance Archival questions.

    I've had fragrances delivered to my home in the middle of winter when the temps were close to or below 0F without damaging them. I worked as an analytical chemist that used many temperature sensitive materials (way more sensitive than anything in frags) and we would store them in a lab freezer, sometimes for years with little or no degradation.

    I think you have very little to worry about with cold temperatures. If you really want to get the scoop on the archival storage of fine fragrances call or write to the Osmotheque in Grasse.
    Last edited by surreality; 4th April 2009 at 05:04 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  14. #164
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,379
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Fragrance Archival questions.

    I use a normal refrigerator. Especially for "archival" purposes, I think it's fine. Like surreality, we used refrigerators and freezers in the lab for all sorts of cold storage of highly reactive substances - solid and liquid - without problems.

    I just checked my frag fridge: about 47 degrees F. I could go lower, but I prefer not to bother with things like plastic bags (to limit condensation when I warm them up). I like the convenience of making vintage samples for people without much effort other than letting the bottles come to room temperature before decanting.

    I guess that's my point - you will not damage your frags by low temperatures per se. Low temperatures make the frags last longer, period. It's the incidental stuff from hypercooling that can ruin your day. Unwanted condensation. Oiling and freezing. Non-functional seals.

    I'm not sure what the temperature limits on balms and lotions are, but they have to be more stringent than the limits on alcohol-based fragrances, because these things depend more on physical form for their effectiveness. I would be hesitant to cool them too much.
    * * * *

  15. #165
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Basic Storage

    Hi just a quick basic storage question. Does storing a frag lying down on its side for long periods of time cause it to leak? Is it even advisable?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 22nd April 2009 at 09:55 AM.

  16. #166

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    I've never thought about this before but now that you bring it up I'm curious. I do know I've seen several fragrances that are designed to lay on their side and Rochas Man is even upside down so the weight of the liquid falls to the bottle's opening.

    Rochas Man:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121369.html
    .Dave J

  17. #167
    danho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Bottles should not leak if left lying on their side. I'm certain this is taken into consideration because people want to be able to travel with their fragrance packed away. If you can't lay it down, you can't pack it in a bag. Samples on the other hand will leak depending on the type of vile and stopper lid (Cereus).
    Last edited by danho; 22nd April 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio
    Currently wearing: Eros by Versace

  18. #168
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,379
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Most fragrance bottles are no problem, especially designer scents (the bottles tend to be very robust), but some niche scents have crappy, leaky spray mechanisms. I won't name names, but you can't always trust them.

    If you find that there is any leakage when a bottle is shipped to you, be very careful. It is possible that it has a leaky or poorly designed spray assembly.

    If it has a leak in the sprayer, watch out. laying it down could be very bad. Also, if there is a change in temperature or pressure, then upright is the way to go. For example, if you use a refrigerator for your stuff, then upright is much safer.
    * * * *

  19. #169
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Thanks for the opinions. I decided against laying the bottles on its side when storing.

  20. #170
    teflondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,336

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    My Creed and L'artisan bottles all leak if they're left laying on their side. I found this out when I was traveling and had the bottles stored in my luggage. While most bottles shouldn't leak, it's better not to take that chance unless you have to.

  21. #171
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Lets say a bottle is left laying on its side for a long period of time (maybe 6 months to 1 year), the atomizer will be in constant contact with the juice. So would it actually cause any kind of build up or residue to form in the atomizer that will clog the sprayer?

  22. #172
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,379
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Lets say a bottle is left laying on its side for a long period of time (maybe 6 months to 1 year), the atomizer will be in constant contact with the juice. So would it actually cause any kind of build up or residue to form in the atomizer that will clog the sprayer?
    Unlikely, but theoretically possible. If there was leakage that was actually going out the normal mechanism, with evaporation, then it could clog it. However, I think you're more likely to see leakage elsewhere in the system if you lay it down, e.g., around the sides of the spray-head assembly.

    It's really a very individual thing. I have fragrances that have rested on their sides for long periods of time without any problems. Others, I wouldn't even try, because I've detected some kind of leakage around the top, and I wouldn't take the chance.
    * * * *

  23. #173
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,226

    Default Re: Basic Storage



    This happened to my adg(the collar ripped off and still attached to the cap in case u cant see the diff), and i know it leaks coz i tried tilting it and small but definite amount juice slipped out.... keep them standing upright Jon, thats my advice...
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th May 2009 at 08:20 PM.

  24. #174

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    For example, if you use a refrigerator for your stuff, then upright is much safer.
    Is it advised to refrigerate? I had read it somewhere so I put a bottle of Angel in the fridge. Then I read another place that it's not a good idea to do it, so I immediately removed it.

  25. #175
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,142
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    I refrigerate my fragrances without any resulting problems. But the main thing is to keep your fragrances out of the light.

  26. #176

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Thanks, 30 Roses I had a bottle of Angel Le Lys in the fridge for a few days and it didn't seem to have hurt it. I got nervous though because the bottle was so wet and I thought that might not be a good thing (?) I have it along with my other fragrances in my closet for now. Do yours seem to last longer, storing them in the refrigerator?

  27. #177
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    matthewfoo,

    noted. I do keep mine standing up. I was considering laying them on the side to save storage space. But i'll just stick to storing them standing up.

  28. #178

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    I can not attest to bottles leaking. I know I have a whole bunch of sample atomizers that I have collected and they were laying on their side for a good 6-8 months without me using them. When I went to check the status of them, alot leaked out all their juice and went completely dry.

  29. #179
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,226

    Default Re: Basic Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMillions View Post
    I can not attest to bottles leaking. I know I have a whole bunch of sample atomizers that I have collected and they were laying on their side for a good 6-8 months without me using them. When I went to check the status of them, alot leaked out all their juice and went completely dry.

    Thats a disaster! feel for you. I do have atomizers and they are layed on tdown, but have never experienced leakage. I believe its the quality of the my atomizers, got mine from SASA and they really have great ones. i could understand if just 1-2 leaked, but if most did, then its definitely a quality issue. For me they are usually meant to be carried around, on the move etc, would hate for them to leak in my bag or pants.

  30. #180

    Default Re: Fragrance Archival questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I use a normal refrigerator. Especially for "archival" purposes, I think it's fine. Like surreality, we used refrigerators and freezers in the lab for all sorts of cold storage of highly reactive substances - solid and liquid - without problems.

    I just checked my frag fridge: about 47 degrees F. I could go lower, but I prefer not to bother with things like plastic bags (to limit condensation when I warm them up). I like the convenience of making vintage samples for people without much effort other than letting the bottles come to room temperature before decanting.

    I guess that's my point - you will not damage your frags by low temperatures per se. Low temperatures make the frags last longer, period. It's the incidental stuff from hypercooling that can ruin your day. Unwanted condensation. Oiling and freezing. Non-functional seals.

    I'm not sure what the temperature limits on balms and lotions are, but they have to be more stringent than the limits on alcohol-based fragrances, because these things depend more on physical form for their effectiveness. I would be hesitant to cool them too much.
    regarding the condensation... I'm a little confused... do you take your frag out of the fridge and let it stay in room temperature and then use the frag or is it ok to spray after taking it direcntly out of the fridge? I'm still quite new to the whole keeping frags in fridge/wine coolers. Thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000