Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Perfume Storage

Default Re: Good Cologne Storage Idea?

Is turning on the AC not an option?

for swap/sale:

Basement or wine cooler, if it's really that hot.

Once it gets hot inside the cooler bag, it will stay hot, I don't think it will help much.

Since you mention a basement, that sounds good, out of the sun and where it is cooler. I wouldn't worry about the humidity really, just exposure to light / the sun, and the overall temperature.

Humidity in the basement means that it suddenly got warm.
    So if you detect humidity, that a bad sign.

for swap/sale:

that bag is designed for keeping cold things cold (ie drinks)
    I think the main thing is to keep it out of direct sunlight, maybe in a drawer. unless you have precious or old perfumes that you want to preserve for 10 years, or tonnes of stuff in openable bottles (like samples and dabber bottles), there's not really much point doing anything more.

This could work out brilliantly, especially if you are willing to stick a fresh ice-pack in the cooler every 12 hours from here to eternity.

On second thought, maybe just get the fridge.

Default Re: Is there any benefit to keeping cologne in a fridge?

After doing some research on how to store fragrances i got an idea on how to store my cologne. My room gets very hot. It may not be the best looking idea but i think it will work. I would like to get some feedback to see if this is a good way to keep your cologne fresh for years to come. Its definitely inexpensive.

So i went to target and bought a storage container with a lid. Nothing to big. 11" x 8"x 11". Cost me around $7. Then i bought some igloo ice packs(those plastic light blue packs that you throw in the freezer)two small ones about 7" tall and 3 " wide. i organized my cologne on top of my vanity tray which i place directly in the center of the storage container. Next, after freezing the igloo packs i put 1 each in a freezer zip loc bag. After they are securely packaged i place one on each side of the inside of the storage container. Theres just enough room on each side(left and right). i tightly close my container and it keeps my cologne cool for about 4-5 hours max. Of course this is just a temporary solution for those peak hot hours during the day. Or i can have 2 more igloo ice packs and switch out the ones that melt and stick these new ones in The container also helps from sunlight.

Please let me know what you think of this rather ingenious(hardly) idea.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

DjPhaze,

It seems like it would require rather a lot of attention...and if you were not there to switch out the packs, there would be a lot of heating and cooling, heating and cooling...I don't think the cycling through temperatures would be so good for the fragrances. Also, if the ice pack were in contact with the bottles, I don't know what that might do to the scents.

You might be better off not attempting to keep them cool-- but the box will keep them dark and that is the most important thing.

Welcome to Basenotes, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    DjPhaze,

It seems like it would require rather a lot of attention...and if you were not there to switch out the packs, there would be a lot of heating and cooling, heating and cooling...I don't think the cycling through temperatures would be so good for the fragrances. Also, if the ice pack were in contact with the bottles, I don't know what that might do to the scents.

You might be better off not attempting to keep them cool-- but the box will keep them dark and that is the most important thing.

Welcome to Basenotes, by the way!
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I think you have two good points. Too much attention and temperature changing. Ill just throw the ice packs in my lunch box instead . I was wondering if indirect sunlight will affect my cologne?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I can only say that my own fragrances that used to be stored on my dresser in indirect light eventually lost their top notes.

No doubt direct light is worse but even indirect light, over time, adds up.

I can only say that my own fragrances that used to be stored on my dresser in indirect light eventually lost their top notes.

Ok thanks. Im going to try to look for some type of cabinet instead of a storage box. I think it would display alot better. I recently got into colognes and have bought 3 in the last 2 weeks. I thinks its a full blown hobby now. I want to give em as much life as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by jrose1992 View Post
    Hey guys, new to the forum.

Current collection is:

D&G Light Blue for summer
    Pi by Givenchy for special occasion/romance
    Creed Green Irish Tweed for everyday.

Thoughts?
    Welcome. Your last two are good ones IMO.

What if i keep them in the original boxes? I also have a John varvatos artisan but no original box. But the bottle has that woven thread around it. Would they be fine on my dresser? but what about heat? would they be better off in my dresser cabinet?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dj your dresser cabinet would probably be within a click of the temperature of your room, but definitely darker. The only exception is that in a dresser cabinet temperature swings might be slower to fluctuate on a daily basis.

I keep my wardrobe (the working bottles/decants/samples only) in a small, countertop fridge or in an insulated walk-in wine storage cooler (~60 F) with high humidity I had built in the inner corner of a large attached garage some 25 years ago, when I moved into a new house.
    Last edited by kbe; 25th June 2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Dj your dresser cabinet would probably be within a click of the temperature of your room, but definitely darker. The only exception is that in a dresser cabinet temperature swings might be slower to fluctuate on a daily basis.

I keep my wardrobe (the working bottles/decants/samples only) in a small, countertop fridge or in an insulated walk-in wine storage cooler (~60 F) with high humidity I had built in the inner corner of a large attached garage some 25 years ago, when I moved into a new house.
    So keeping them in my boxes should be fine on the dresser?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DjPhaze View Post
    So keeping them in my boxes should be fine on the dresser?
    Yes. Keeping frags in their boxes, in a room at normal temperature, out of direct light, is a way that you can display some of your bottles safely. Knowledgeable perfume sales people taught me this, and it does work. I kept some of my bottles this way for many years. If you get tired of opening the boxes, they taught me another trick. Cut out the bottom and pull out the cardboard liner, and use the rest of the box like a cover. Then just lift the cover off when you use the frag. I have learned over time not to do this, however, because having the full box with the liner intact is good if you want to sell it or package it up for shipment (the unlined boxes are fairly weak).

Personally, I prefer to keep my frags in 3 levels of protection:

(1) Heavy rotation fragrances, in boxes on the vanity in a relatively dark room.
    (2) Active rotation fragrances, in dark drawers, in boxes, but readily accessible.
    (3) Low rotation and vintage, in a refrigerator, in boxes.

Does anyone know where i can find a cabinet no taller than 15"? I cant seen to find anything like that. I want to put my fragrances in a cabinet to protect them. If anyone has any ideas were i can find one please let me know. Thanks

After 2 days of constantly searching for a small cabinet to put my fragrances in i finally found what i was looking for. Not what i actually intended to buy but it works! So today i went to crate & barrel but no small cabinets. I then ran into this bread box. Really nice looking bread box but i thought to myself "this really looks like a bread box""Maybe if i found a bread box that didnt look like bread belonged in it this might work!" So off i went to target and i found this wooden bread box in the kitchen department. It has a rectangular shape which is exactly what i was thinking too look for if i did buy a bread box. I was pretty excited. I kept thinking to myself this is a bread box but it doesnt really look like one. So after convincing myself that aslong as i dont tell anyone nobody will know. Although im sure some people will say it look s like a bread box. Doesnt matter because i finally found something to put my fragrances in! Below are pictures of the bread box(lol shhh) that is now my own personal cologne storage compartment. I think this is perfect for protecting it from the sunlight which is the main contributor to damaging fragrances.

Basenotes Member

Default Do old stored fragrances lose longevity? (say 5+ years)

If you have fragrances that have been stored for a many many years. Do they lose there scent, longevity, effectiveness.
    -If it does, how many years does it take for that to actually to happen.

While I am here, are you suppose to shake your cologne bottles before use? Are you not suppose to? Does it make any difference?
    I want to smell good.

Default Re: Do old stored fragrances lose longevity? (say 5+ years)

If they are stored properly under optimal conditions, I do believe they do no matter how many years you have them.

My mother has a bottle of Chanel No. 5 that is over 25 years old and it still smells really good.

Blog Entries

My old Polo is as good as it ever was. Maybe better. It's about 25 years old.

Seems to me that they'd get stronger, if anything. The alcohol will evaporate off, leaving behind a higher concentration of parfum oils, right?

I have a bottle of Moschino PH that was sealed in the original box, yet maybe 80% full. Apparently it was pretty old and had evaporated quite a bit, but it smells incredible. I've only had one bottle go "off" in the past 20 years or so.

I believe these frags are very durable if stored with minimal care.

Some head notes may weaken or disappear entirely, but as a whole perfume lasts incredibly long (regardless of what Le Labo and their silly expiration date labels tell you). The high alcohol content keeps things relatively sterile and stable. Not sure if perfume oils would have the same longevity.

My mother found an old perfume bottle. It was a splash bottle of some Chanel. Only the oil was left. The alchohol had evaporated.

for swap/sale:

I've noticed the top notes seem to disappear on older bottles of cologne I've acquired. This may have more to do with storage conditions (heat, light) than pure age.

How about keeping frags in a fridge?,
    Mr. Malle is trying to convince us that is the best way to keep a fragrance's freshness, do you guys agreed on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    How about keeping frags in a fridge?,
    Mr. Malle is trying to convince us that is the best way to keep a fragrance's freshness, do you guys agreed on that?
    I don't.

I've heard of people putting fragrances in the fridge but I think it'd cause more problems (condensation/etc) than it's worth. Room temp and out of direct sunlight should be all you need - fragrance will last for an incredibly long time.

My educated guess is that some frags may be more vulnerable to environmental factors, over time, than others. We're talking about a HOST of variables ... aerobic vs. anaerobic alcohol resistant bacteria, natural vs. synthetic oils, solubilization vs. emulsion, water content, humidity, air pressure, nozzle/bottle design flaws, oxidative & light molecular breakdown, formulation, varying physical qualities of each oil...and many more I suspect.

As a GUIDELINE...

"Cool, dark, dry place. Caps on."

Store them at room temperatures (60 - 80 F) with 20 - 60 % humidity. The cooler end of the spectrum is probably better. Obviously next to a roaring fire or near a cold window in winter probably isn't room temperature either. Think stable.

Store them with caps on away from light.

All of these conditions can be met by most people living in the modern age with typical furniture, by placing the fragrances in a lower drawer or cupboard.

I would not store them in a near vacuum since that would likely increase evaporation nor in a freezer or refrigerator unless prior experimentation for that particular fragrance has provided conclusive evidence supporting the method as a better storage hypothesis.

Fragrance degrade primarily from contact with 3 factors: Light, heat and Air:

So try to store them in a dark and not to warm place.

The more air thats in the bottle (The less juice) the faster it also degrades. Now, this doesnt count for a lot, but it IS a factor. I wouldnt really worry about it. It is what it is...

This might be the lucky exception, but the bottle of Horizon by Guy Laroche I own, discontinued in 1993 and also a splash bottle thus, more air likely to get in - has hardly lost any longevity

My father currently uses one of my Old Dunhill Classic AS from 1987.

I tried it for fun and the freshness and staying power of the scent surprised me quite a bit.

It's still fine - may lack some of the topnotes and a bit of staying power - but hey, it's nearly 25 years old !!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

If the fragrance is openly exposed to light for say a month or two would that affect the longevity and projection of a fragrance?

damaged longevity? not in the lifetime of anyone you know. decently stored, that part will keep for centuries, if not millenniums.

the topnotes are more vulnerable. some, like citruses seem to fade a bit. i had only one occasion (out of many, including century old bottles) where the topnotes had taken this infamous nail polish remover note. this odor is not pretty, but it disappears in 5 or 10 minutes or so, and then you'll have the old perfume back as it was before the damage.

Default Guide to storage?

I'm pretty fortunate in that I have a friend who is a semi-retired cosmetological chemist. He's a great resource. I told him that I was ordering a bit of Gucci Envy before I couldn't find it anymore and he suggested I keep it in the fridge both due to the temp and the light.

I asked him about the light thing and he said if the bottle was dark it wasn't a problem - which only applies to half of the scents I have. And someone else in another thread suggested that the temperature fluctuations in the bathroom are bad as well.

So, those of you scent senseis...where do you keep them? I don't really have any shelves out of the light in my bedroom - if they're not under the sink in the bathroom then I guess I could try making space in a dresser drawer but that seems inelegant. (If I don't see them I might forget to put something on! And they look so cool all sitting out on the counter...)

Advice?

Default Re: Guide to storage?

Mine are kept in a temperature and light controlled basement storage walk-in vault area. People here on Basenotes keep theirs in a variety of places like the refrigerator, in a wine cooler, on shelves, in drawers etc.

I keep my fragrances in their original boxes and store them on shelves in a semi-dark, cool room.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hrm...I haven't kept any boxes. Don't have a cellar. My friend suggested a wine fridge but that seems a bit much. I think the best I can do is the closet - there are shelves in there. Just a bit hard to get at...and that's where I keep my ammo.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad650 View Post
    My friend suggested a wine fridge but that seems a bit much.

I even put vinyl over the front glass to keep it dark inside, as well as replaced the light in the room with 40w.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I have 4 bottles. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a bigger gun safe and put them in there...

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post

I even put vinyl over the front glass to keep it dark inside, as well as replaced the light in the room with 40w.

that's what i need to do LOL props man!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad650 View Post
    I have 4 bottles. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a bigger gun safe and put them in there...
    Get a Fort Knox! It might cost you $5,000 - $8,000 but it's worth it IMO. I lul at the idea of some tweaker trying to get into mine. I only keep about 80% of my guns in it, the others are scattered around the house.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Any reason NOT to put them in the fridge (apart from the obvious questions from anyone putting their heads into said fridge..)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    Any reason NOT to put them in the fridge (apart from the obvious questions from anyone putting their heads into said fridge..)?
    With some older, highly concentrated and almost all natural fragrances there is a slight chance that they might go cloudy (and they should clear again when brought back to room temp).

Other than that the only potential harm is to the labels, which will deteriorate from the constant condensation that forms on them each time you take them out to use.

Refrigeration isn't really necessary though - dark and cool is sufficient - and full bottles helps too. Modern fragrances with a lot of aldehydes (so Channel No 5 for example) will deteriorate much more quickly the more air they are exposed to: so full bottles will keep better than part used ones. That's a bit catch 22 because the process of decanting into a smaller bottle will also expose more juice to the air so it's only worth it if it will then stay full for a good while. If you can get into the bottle, spraying a little of the gas from one of those things sold as wine keepers onto the surface will keep the oxygen from it and work very well.

Light and oxygen are far more damaging than heat: remember that the majority of ingredients are made with heat - all essential oils have been boiled by definition - there are relatively few that are very temperature sensitive. Volatile top notes will of course evaporate quickly when heated but only if your bottle leaks - and in that case the alcohol will still go first so you'll know all about it.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you very much for that highly detailed answer! It answered a lot of open questions I had in my mind on the issue :-).
    I've had some bottles go bad in my bathroom, I figurd it must've been the heat as they've been stored dark but who knows.

Honestly I think storing them in a fridge is going a bit too far. I don't doubt that it maintains the fragrances better but by what fraction better than just storing them in their boxes in your closet is really up for debate. If I didn't live in an apt and had the logistics for an additional fridge to store them, I might do them but for now I've just been storing them in their boxes in my closet and all have maintained themselves very well, including the ones that are over a decade old

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mini fridge in the bedroom is what we use.

I think that this is a great question! Where DO you keep them. I often think about a good solution to this and I don't have one. Mine are mostly in their boxes in a travelling trunk which is not ideal for access, although I am sure that they are very happy there. They get turns to be allowed out! I would like to make a feature of them just as I would if I collected anything else but the problem is that there is no attractive way to display the boxes and I don't want to ruin the fragrances. I also have some Colognes in the bathroom. I am thinking twice about that now having read this but I do like to see them there. I have tried to find an old perfume cabinet or funky old Doctors Cabinet on the Internet but no success. I might have to have something made but that might be too expensive. I might go for a contemporary cabinet. I might go to Ikea. I might think outside the box. Yaaaaarg. You see what I mean. Where DO you put them? I welcome any ideas.

There has been a very recent thread over on the girls side where people have posted pictures of their collections. The photo's are worth a look and you will see that people store and display them in different ways. I think that it is called Post a Picture of your collection (oddly enough)!

A thought; Maybe I should just take them out of the boxes or at least some of them. When friends and family are playing with them and they say that they don't want to spray them, or they will only have a little bit, I tell them to spray as much as they want because a fragrance is not alive unless it is out of the bottle and interacting with someone, and then I put them away in a trunk where I can't even see them. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I keep my fragrances in their original boxes and store them on shelves in a semi-dark, cool room.
    +1.

In previous years I did favour the refrigeration route, but have recently opted for storage in an old chest kept under the stairs. .

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I think that this is a great question! Where DO you keep them. I often think about a good solution to this and I don't have one. Mine are mostly in their boxes in a travelling trunk which is not ideal for access, although I am sure that they are very happy there. They get turns to be allowed out! I would like to make a feature of them just as I would if I collected anything else but the problem is that there is no attractive way to display the boxes and I don't want to ruin the fragrances. I also have some Colognes in the bathroom. I am thinking twice about that now having read this but I do like to see them there. I have tried to find an old perfume cabinet or funky old Doctors Cabinet on the Internet but no success. I might have to have something made but that might be too expensive. I might go for a contemporary cabinet. I might go to Ikea. I might think outside the box. Yaaaaarg. You see what I mean. Where DO you put them? I welcome any ideas.

There has been a very recent thread over on the girls side where people have posted pictures of their collections. The photo's are worth a look and you will see that people store and display them in different ways. I think that it is called Post a Picture of your collection (oddly enough)!

A thought; Maybe I should just take them out of the boxes or at least some of them. When friends and family are playing with them and they say that they don't want to spray them, or they will only have a little bit, I tell them to spray as much as they want because a fragrance is not alive unless it is out of the bottle and interacting with someone, and then I put them away in a trunk where I can't even see them. Doh!
    Keeping them alive through use is really the most important point yet made: fragrances are tougher than we think and useless if they are not smelt.

Some sealed bottles of perfume were recovered from the Titanic after more than a century stored in the cold and dark of the ocean floor - they were still good.

A fragrance can outlive you if you let it - it's more important to enjoy them than to preserve them (unless of course you are a museum, in which case preservation is the whole point).
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Sur la Plage

So do I.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I keep my scents in dark, cool cabinets- sheltered from excessive heat, cold or moisture

Here in Madrid it's difficult for a room to stay cool all year through (we have two seasons: cold and scalding hot). But I keep my bottles out of the sunlight in a closet. My flat has no A/C, but even if it's 40 outside, I don't think the inside temperature will do much harm if the bottles are in the dark.

The same place where I have been keeping them for 40+ yrs. In my dresser drawer. Never a problem.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

The Same here.

In an ideal world, I might consider a wine cooler repurposed for scent storage. But don't have a place for that. I just keep them out of light for the most part. I think they're very durable.

I can't say I've ever had one go bad on me. I wouldn't second guess anyone who dedicates a cooler to their scents, but don't think it's really necessary.

I keep mine in the drawer. It's dark, but I don't now how cold it is in there.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.