Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Perfume Storage

Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there any benefit to keeping cologne in a fridge?

pluran; All your information is correct. The Osmotheque is where I got my info also. I have four dedicated refrigerators for my fragrances since summers here are quite typically in the late 90 and early 100 degrees F. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Jean Kerleo was the in-house nose/perfumer at Patou from 1967 until 1998. He is also the founder of Osmotheque, the "living perfume museum" in Versailles.

A few years ago I contacted Osmotheque to see if they could provide clarification regarding fragrance storage, temperature, etc. I told them I kept my fragrances in a refrigerator. Their reply was as follows:

"Exactly. This can appear strange, but you must store your perfume in the rerigerator, safe from light, and in the cold." They recommend a temperature of 10 degrees celsius for most fragrances, and 4 degrees celsius for citrus fragrances.

10° Celsius = 50° Fahrenheit
    4° Celsius = 39° Fahrenheit

Osmotheque goes further, in using something like argon gas to seal the bottles/cannisters they use, but for me the info above is pretty much the last word on the subject.

Where I live on the coast it's very cool (average summer temp of 65F and low-mid 50's at night), so a wine refrigerator isn't critical, but I still use one for certain fragrances. But if I lived in a relatively warm place, I would probably keep everything in one.

Default Cologne Storage.

I know this has been discussed before, but where do most of you store your colognes?

Mine are just in my closet in a nice dark spot. I have colognes I've had for over 10+ years. Do you guys use fridges or anything special?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cologne Storage.

on a shelf. life is too short to hide them away.

They are on my dresser. I keep my samples and such in a small basket right next to them

In my dark, dark cabinet!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    In my dark, dark cabinet!
    The FragCave?

I store the fragrances in my rotation in their original boxes on a shelf in a room that's not heated. The ones that fell out of the rotation (including samples) are stored together in a bigger box. The few I have without any box, I have trapped between the boxes of the others so that there's only very little exposure to light (and the room itself is barely lit anyway).

Dependent

I booked marked this one http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...hiller-Freezer

Check out Pluran's post. Hope this helps!

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Temperature and light controlled walk-in fragrance storage room.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I booked marked this one http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...hiller-Freezer

Check out Pluran's post. Hope this helps!
    This makes me want to get a mini fridge! HAHA

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    This makes me want to get a mini fridge! HAHA
    Yeah, it might be a little over the top for some, but just to be safe, I guess it makes sense to spend a little bit more on preservation, if you're already spending heaps of fragrances, and intend to store them for a long time.

Okay guys! I'm crazy... I just purchased a Danby Dar259 fridge strictly for my colognes! HAHAHA

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...of-Your-Scents

This is where I saw the Malle fridge in temperature of 13.4 degrees.

Last edited by volley2; 19th October 2010 at 04:20 AM.

I'll probably invest in a fridge when I have a larger collection. If I ever get one all that big anyway. I'm still pretty finicky
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

I kept them in a plastic drawer in my absement that stays relatively the same temperature...if only the humidity was stable

Does humidity play any role in damaging fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Does humidity play any role in damaging fragrances?
    I can't think of any danger for the juice inside properly closed bottles. The boxes and possibly some non-glass or non-plastic parts of the bottles can suffer from the humidity (like peeling lables or molding cardboard).

I used to be pretty paranoid and keep them on a shelf where the light didn't hit it at all. The actual light doesn't affect fragrances (imo based on experiences); rather direct sunlight, uv rays, and humidity. After all uv rays are cancerous; so just imagine what they do to our fragrances. As for now, I keep my fragrances on my dresser, which is conveniently away from the window.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I used to be pretty paranoid and keep them on a shelf where the light didn't hit it at all. The actual light doesn't affect fragrances (imo based on experiences); rather direct sunlight, uv rays, and humidity. After all uv rays are cancerous; so just imagine what they do to our fragrances. As for now, I keep my fragrances on my dresser, which is conveniently away from the window.
    I do the same thing. It's fairly dark in my room considering my window is right beneath a huge tree branch, so it doesn't effect my frags in any way possible. Seems a bit needless to run electricity to "store" your frags. UGH

Keep cool guys, the temperature has a minor incidence and it must have be for long time with heavy warmness.
    If you are using bottle in 1 or 2 years of a relativly recent stuff i'm convincted (talked of that with an industrial perfumer chemist) that you can put it where you want you won't smell any change (just avoid the extremes).
    I think the most problematic thing is for the splash bottle, you put active oxygen in it evry time you open them.. of course there is anti oxydant in the perfume but every time you use it. I'll recommend to avoid to open your splash bottles evry day, put a large quantity in a decant is a better solution imo.

Who needs electricity anyway? A true collector saves that money and goes for new fragrances instead. No electricity = no light -> longer shelf life for your babies. No heater -> even longer shelf live!!!

Typical collector's home.

All this talk is making me paranoid.....SAVE THE FRAGS!!!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blog Entries

I used to keep them on my dresser top, which was never in direct light. The top notes on my favorite perfumes went bad in 2-3 years. One was the perfume I wore when I was married, so I was particularly disappointed about its loss.

After that, I began storing the perfumes in the spare fridge in the basement. I decanted into 5 ml atomizers that I kept in my dresser drawer. These take up less space than full size bottles, and have the added benefit of being easy to take along, to refresh my SotD or for travel.

Then last year we finally bought a mini fridge for our bedroom-- partly to liberate space in our basement fridge for actual food, LOL! Since we began refrigerating, none have gone bad.

As to light being the sole culprit, over the past 3 years I bought on eBay 2-- yes, 2 (I apparently didn't learn my lesson the first time) bottles of my wedding perfume on eBay, still sealed/never exposed to light. Both had gone bad anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yeah i never fully understood the whole "out of light thing". UV rays are extremely dangerous to all molecules, as you said, so i get the whole direct sunlight thing. But lights in your house? its just particles, photons, not highly dangerous wavelengths

I have my fragrances on top of my dresser in my bedroom for now. No sunlight ever hits them & the heat factor is not a problem. I'm looking buy a curio to put them in & display my collection. The last thing I want to do is hide them away in a dark room or a fridge. Since I have a large collection & never wear the same scent more than two days in a row, I only always buy the smaller bottles (1.7, 2.5) never the big bottles. If I bought the big ones they'd last me 6 years & I know the juice would be bad by then.

That's it.... I'm building a bomb shelter type lead lined, cement poured walls, deep freeze unit far underground to keep my colognes safe in case of a nuclear war....the heck with ammo and food rations. It'll be me smelling great and a bunch of cockroaches after everyone else is gone. In case one woman survives the the end of the world for me to repopulate the planet at least I'll be ready and smell good for her.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Originally posted by Narcus.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post

Originally posted by Narcus.
    That's quite the investment.

Dependent

^^ :-D It belongs to one of the Malle counters/stores. Look right at the top of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Yeah i never fully understood the whole "out of light thing".
    A Chanel no 5 in a local fragrances store had turned green because of the exposing of direct sunlight. But then again it was in "heavy" sunlight.

If you go to the current Post A Picture Of Your Scents thread, mine are in a double cupboard with blacked out doors - if you see on the left, you can see some of the blackout cloth used. My bedroom, much to my girlfriend's irritation, never has the heating on (I don't like sleeping in a heated room, it gets too stuffy) and I have no problems with the life of my fragrances.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...