Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Perfume Storage

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Default Storage: how do you stop your frags going bad?...

Apart from the obvious store in a dark place...In addition has anyone had a scent go bad? If so how long did it take...

Default Re: Storage: how do you stop your frags going bad?...

I show them pictures of a smashed cologne bottle. They usually get the message.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I show them pictures of a smashed cologne bottle. They usually get the message.

Dependent

i boought a little fridge for my room to store my fragrances makes them last!!!!

Usually, I keep them in dark, cool, aired cabinets around my room and never have spoilage problems.

Only happened with 2 fragrances, which I believe were fakes. I just keep mine in my drawer.

Basenotes Junkie

I've never had a fragrance go bad and I've kept a few bottles in some quite deplorable conditions. It's really hard to make most fragrances go bad.

I haven't had a sent go bad of mine that I know of in over 30 years.

I think it all depends on your environment too, in most instances a dark place away from direct sunlight will do it. However, here temps can get up to 35-40 degrees for days at a time - or even just one offs - in the summer+Humidity, which I contend is what sent a handful of mine bad last year.

I do like awakenings idea of showing them the smashed cologne bottles though
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Blog Entries

I had a bottle of Hugo Boss number 1 go bad sitting in a hot bathroom in the sunlight. I still use it, but it lost it's top notes. Learned my lesson and keep everything in a cool dark place now
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Funny you should mention that, the only fragrance I've ever had that went bad was Hugo energise, wonder if Hugo boss frags are more prone to go bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I had a bottle of Hugo Boss number 1 go bad sitting in a hot bathroom in the sunlight. I still use it, but it lost it's top notes. Learned my lesson and keep everything in a cool dark place now

Default Re: Storage

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    For the same reason that you wouldn't wear a bra that you thought looked pretty.
    LOL! good one!

- - - Updated - - -

What if, one day - theres no power in your house? the drastic temp change and ruin your fragrance molecules? i am sure the guys in the french perfume museum someone was just talking about is running and UPS with it -

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guide to storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad650 View Post
    I think the best I can do is the closet - there are shelves in there. Just a bit hard to get at...and that's where I keep my ammo.
    Heh, heh, heh...ammo!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    Apart from the obvious store in a dark place...In addition has anyone had a scent go bad? If so how long did it take...
    My bottle of AdG went bad in less than 3 years (serial code indicates it was manufactured around 3 years ago). I made a thread about it (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/307...-bottle-of-AdG). It's definitely genuine and it was always stored in my wardrobe; the only potential issue that I could see was the broken collar. It's still a mystery to me, really.

Default Re: Perfume Storage

A lot of people seem to be giving good ideas about keeping fragrance cool and dark, but what about air? This isn't something you simply need to accept. One cheap solution if you're happy to decant is to buy some half or quarter sized wine bottles and decant your prized juice into these because you can seal them with vacum stoppers which are rather cheap and quite effective. You can also wrap putty around the stopper and then paint it with epoxy, although you might need a die-grinder to get it open again. This is how I store my best-of-the-best. The added bonus to this is the now-empty bottles can be used for display anywhere that pleases you.

Thanks to a friend who is something of a techie I also have a fishtank full of mineral oil with some cooling gear. It's been spraypainted black (as have my vacum-sealed wine bottles which go inside); I do not believe it is possible to create a better, more stable environment than this. Of course it's only feasable for investment bottles and other things you never wear, or ultra pricey backup-bottles.

Just remember to tie some fishing line around the top of the bottle and hook it over the side of the tank. Otherwise getting the bottles out = messy.

Mine are kept in a dark, cool cupboard.

Default Storage of your fragrances

How do you store your fragrances? Right now, I keep my fragrances that aren't in season in a box in my floor of my closet and the ones I uses in a drawer in my bathroom cabinet. Any one have a better way? Post pictures if you can!
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Default Re: Storage of your fragrances

I keep mine in a cabinet called, "The cabinet of smell-goods". Sometimes I open it just to marvel at my decent collection.

In a basement temperature and light controlled walk-in vault.

There was another thread on this recently, which caused me to put together this blog post of advice on the subject.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    There was another thread on this recently, which caused me to put together this blog post of advice on the subject.
    Chris, thanks.

Useful blog indeed! But can you please clarify 1 thing, the 1 year @ 20C is only used as a number, does not mean that @ 20C the fragrances have only 1 year before expiration, right?

@OP I use cupboard in a room at ~20C (a lil less in the winter).

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    I keep mine in a cabinet called, "The cabinet of smell-goods". Sometimes I open it just to marvel at my decent collection.
    I shall quote this and sing your praises.
    The fabled musk deer searches the world over for the source of the scent which comes from itself.
    -Ramakrishna

I keep them in their boxes if I have them, but I like to put them on my sink in the bathroom. Might not be the best place, but I use them on a daily basis.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Dependent

my mini fridge

Since you live in England I guess there's no need to change your storage method. England's weather is nice for fragrances.

I emptied out a drawer, lined it up with some towels, and filled it with my fragrances.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kocy View Post
    Useful blog indeed! But can you please clarify 1 thing, the 1 year @ 20C is only used as a number, does not mean that @ 20C the fragrances have only 1 year before expiration, right?

@OP I use cupboard in a room at ~20C (a lil less in the winter).
    Yes that's correct. Stored well, fragrances can outlive you and even the shortest lived fragrance should last for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    It's an interesting read that and indeed it does contain some sound advice.

Unfortunately most of what it says about the science involved is utter rubbish, starting with the very first sentence and going right up to "Use the perfume within three to five years. Fragrances, especially the ones with synthetic substances, cannot be stored longer than that." which is just nonsense both in the time limit and the idea that the presence of synthetics causes the life of a perfume to be shorter.

The statement that "Storing fragrance in a refrigerator can affect the original smell" is also wrong as is this assertion Humidity: This is another factor adding up to shortening of fragrance life span. Certain chemicals in most perfumes expand and contract with temperature changes, mostly in humid temperature, resulting in altered smell and colour. Chemicals in solution in a bottle are not really affected by humidity at all and they certainly don't 'expand and contract' in response to it. There are some chemicals that are hydrophilic (attract water) and they could in theory attract water from the air into the ethanol solution, but that could only happen if the bottle isn't sealed, in which case you have a much bigger problem.

The description of the way base notes work is a bit odd too, though not exactly wrong it is misleading. What is certainly not the case is this: "A superior quality perfume is made so that similar smelling ingredients are effective during all the three phases, producing one unbroken effect. A good fragrance is one where there isn't any difference in the effect of the smell in any of the three notes. However, when a fragrance is stored for a long time, the final note starts to wear out and shortens the effect of the smell." This is describing a linear fragrance - there is nothing wrong with linear fragrances - but the idea that they represent superior quality is wrong: the perfumer and designer make an artistic choice about the level of development the fragrance will have and top quality (and poor quality) fragrances exist that are almost completely linear and which develop radically over time.

I think I'll stop there, you get the idea: I don't think these guys understand either the chemistry of fragrances or their artistry.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Banned

@ Chris Bartlett - Thanks for the clarifications. I am glad that I used the word "might."

Interesting stuff - thanks Chris

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to by a cabinet and get my fragrances off the dresser!
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Yes that's correct. Stored well, fragrances can outlive you and even the shortest lived fragrance should last for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Really interesting. Thank you for providing this information.

It's an interesting read that and indeed it does contain some sound advice.

Unfortunately most of what it says about the science involved is utter rubbish, starting with the very first sentence and going right up to "Use the perfume within three to five years. Fragrances, especially the ones with synthetic substances, cannot be stored longer than that." which is just nonsense both in the time limit and the idea that the presence of synthetics causes the life of a perfume to be shorter.

The statement that "Storing fragrance in a refrigerator can affect the original smell" is also wrong as is this assertion Humidity: This is another factor adding up to shortening of fragrance life span. Certain chemicals in most perfumes expand and contract with temperature changes, mostly in humid temperature, resulting in altered smell and colour. Chemicals in solution in a bottle are not really affected by humidity at all and they certainly don't 'expand and contract' in response to it. There are some chemicals that are hydrophilic (attract water) and they could in theory attract water from the air into the ethanol solution, but that could only happen if the bottle isn't sealed, in which case you have a much bigger problem.

The description of the way base notes work is a bit odd too, though not exactly wrong it is misleading. What is certainly not the case is this: "A superior quality perfume is made so that similar smelling ingredients are effective during all the three phases, producing one unbroken effect. A good fragrance is one where there isn't any difference in the effect of the smell in any of the three notes. However, when a fragrance is stored for a long time, the final note starts to wear out and shortens the effect of the smell." This is describing a linear fragrance - there is nothing wrong with linear fragrances - but the idea that they represent superior quality is wrong: the perfumer and designer make an artistic choice about the level of development the fragrance will have and top quality (and poor quality) fragrances exist that are almost completely linear and which develop radically over time.

I think I'll stop there, you get the idea: I don't think these guys understand either the chemistry of fragrances or their artistry.
    Really interesting. Thank you for providing this information.

Default Re: Where do you store your fragrances?

I keep most of my collection in a small dorm refrigerator that I picked up from the local pawn shop that some college kid pawned. I turned it all the way up and it stays about 45 fahrenheit/ 7 celsius. That being said i have kept bottles of cologne for years in my truck and didnt notice any difference even when they sat through the hot Texas summer.

Default Which is it??????

So I have read alot about how to store your fragrances. Some say refrigerator and others say no. Some say in a box away from direct light others say in a cupboard. I read another article stating not to store your fragrances in your car because the extreme heat or the cold could break down the molecules of the fragrance and wind up damaging the scent itself, the scent longevity, and the scent projection. Well, I am wondering about this assumption because I have a small bottle of mustang by Estee lauder that I keep in the console of my car to spray on if I don't have time to run home. The last few times I have worn this since being in my car seems like the actual scent itslef has gotten stronger and the projection and longevity has improved as well. The reason why I know this because after I bought this I kept this same bottle at my house away from direct sunlight and in a dark place and after i started keeping it in my car is when I noticed the improvement of projection and longevity. If I could give you an example let's just say Mustang had a strength of Aqua di gio before and now it has a strength of Polo by RL if that makes sense. Also, I remember getting a bottle of Bora Bora from my brother that had superb projection and longevity and I always got complimemted on it. When I smelt a new bottle it was nowhere near the monster I got from my brother but I did find out that he stored his in the console of his truck. I am wondering what you guys think about this???? Has anyone else had the same experience or am I way off base? WHICH IS IT????

Default Re: Which is it??????

I've never had that experience. I always keep my fragrances stored in the closet away from heat and direct sunlight. Glad it's worked out for you though.

Default Re: Which is it??????

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    So I have read alot about how to store your fragrances. Some say refrigerator and others say no. Some say in a box away from direct light others say in a cupboard. I read another article stating not to store your fragrances in your car because the extreme heat or the cold could break down the molecules of the fragrance and wind up damaging the scent itself, the scent longevity, and the scent projection. Well, I am wondering about this assumption because I have a small bottle of mustang by Estee lauder that I keep in the console of my car to spray on if I don't have time to run home. The last few times I have worn this since being in my car seems like the actual scent itslef has gotten stronger and the projection and longevity has improved as well. The reason why I know this because after I bought this I kept this same bottle at my house away from direct sunlight and in a dark place and after i started keeping it in my car is when I noticed the improvement of projection and longevity. If I could give you an example let's just say Mustang had a strength of Aqua di gio before and now it has a strength of Polo by RL if that makes sense. Also, I remember getting a bottle of Bora Bora from my brother that had superb projection and longevity and I always got complimemted on it. When I smelt a new bottle it was nowhere near the monster I got from my brother but I did find out that he stored his in the console of his truck. I am wondering what you guys think about this???? Has anyone else had the same experience or am I way off base? WHICH IS IT????
    Interesting experience and not one I've shared, but it is by no means impossible.

I tried to emphasise in my blog post on this that perfumes change over time and high temperatures speed-up those changes while low ones slow them down. The speeding up effect is greater than the slowing down, so the widely fluctuating temperature in a vehicle will have the net effect of speeding up the change. Changed, does not always mean damaged though - sometimes the reactions that occur will improve the smell - usually making it more mellow, integrated and smooth.

However in this case I think there is a much simpler explanation: the very high temperature that occurs from time to time in the car or truck is probably causing some of the ethanol in your fragrance to escape (through the sprayer assembly - normally not a problem but at temperatures above 40 Celsius it will be), resulting in a higher concentration left in the bottle. In effect your perfume is being boiled down into a stronger version, so no wonder you find it lasts longer and projects more when you spray the usual amount.
    Chris Bartlett

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have kept fragrances for more than 20 years. Actually since the 80s. It has never been necessary for me to keep them inside of a fridge. I keep all of my fragrances inside the box, inside of a cabinet, away from light, especially sun light. This appears to have preserved them quite well. I have never had a fragrance go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I have kept fragrances for more than 20 years. Actually since the 80s. It has never been necessary for me to keep them inside of a fridge. I keep all of my fragrances inside the box, inside of a cabinet, away from light, especially sun light. This appears to have preserved them quite well. I have never had a fragrance go bad.
    Thanks for that! You really leave me relieved! At the pace I'm using up my bottles, 20 years are definitely going to go by...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Interesting the way you worded that, do you think fluroscent or regular light bulb light poses risk?

I guess every fragrance may react different but im not sold on high heat (eg car/trucks) not causing damage based off my own experience
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Keeping them in a drawer seems to work just fine. The temperature has reached as high as 102 degrees F, in California. Not once have I grabbed a bottle that felt warm

Default Perfume storage

I tried looking in the above sticky, But I couldn't find a thread on this, But I recently read on ebay that It was bad to store your scents in the refridgerator. Is this true. I know cool dark place, to me that says fridge all day, is it something with the cold that messes up the composition? Also Where do you store your frags?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I don't personally use a fridge. I just use my bedroom which always stays cool and my fragrances don't recieve direct sunlight. Plus I keep a smaller collection so I have no worries of any one bottle going bad. I do keep my samples and decants in a small drawer in a chest of drawers. Hope this helps.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've used a fridge for years and my fragrances are in great shape.
    Just do what feels right to you.

I'm about to purchase the following cooler to store my frags.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10182276.aspx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just-visiting View Post
    I'm about to purchase the following cooler to store my frags.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10182276.aspx
    I have NEVER heard of a fragrance degrading if stored under normal conditions. Obviously if one lives in an extremely hot climate with no air conditioning, perhaps. But I have smelled cologne 25 years old stored on a dresser in a shaded room at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and It smelled fine. The volatile oils in the top notes can withstand occasional temps even over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. In scientific terms, higher heat mean molecules bumping into each other faster, means increase evaporation. I would use that money you were going to spend on a cooler for more fragrances!

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I don't personally use a fridge. I just use my bedroom which always stays cool and my fragrances don't recieve direct sunlight. Plus I keep a smaller collection so I have no worries of any one bottle going bad. I do keep my samples and decants in a small drawer in a chest of drawers. Hope this helps.
    pretty much sums up my situation as well...

This is great info! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The Osmotheque is Versailles houses the largest collection of rare perfumes in the world. Jean Kerleo and his staff (including many top scientists) spent several years determining the optimum storage conditions for various fragrances. They maintain most of the perfumes at 50 f, for pure citruses it's 40 f. If you care about your collection, or if it's worth a lot of money (mine is worth in excess of $35,000), then I suggest you keep them in a wine refrigerator with humidity control. Perfumes can last well over fifty years, or they can die fast, especially those made with a higher percentage of natural ingredients. A "cool, dark, dry place" sounds good, but I've seen it fail drastically numerous times, so I'll stick with my wine refrigerator "theory" which has never failed. Wine refrigerators can be acquired pretty cheaply online. There are many to choose from and you don't need anything fancy.

Sent from TapaTalk

The other day I acquired 11 bottles of original formulation Rive Gauche Pour Homme for posterity. For space reasons, I stored them on their sides like firewood, Now it has occurred to me that perhaps I should store then upright. Any thoughts?

What makes you think that?

I'm just wondering if they will leak.

Quote Originally Posted by nucker View Post
    I'm just wondering if they will leak.
    They should be fine but when you can, probably better to stand them upright.

(3984)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.