Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 532

Thread: Perfume Storage

Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #1

    Default Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Awright, after hearing that awful news about the discontinuation of Zino, I'm seriously considering buying a few EdTs and keeping them in their boxes in the fridge. *So I'd like some guesstimates from some of you cats with experience/knowledge in this area -- how long will they last in that environment? *Five years? *Ten? *Twenty? *Forever?
    What do you all think?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    More then 50 years IMHO

    .... or as long the fridge is working [smiley=wink.gif]
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Does this fridge thing work? I must confess, I'm reluctant to put an expensive bottle of scent in my fridge. We all know what happens to food that's left uncovered in a fridge - it'll be bone-dry in a week or so.
    Given that alcohol evaporates faster than water - has anyone found that (even for "sealed" spray bottles) there is more evaporation from bottles stored in the fridge than from those stored at room temperature?
    During the summer months I store all my bottles in a room where the air conditioner is set to about 24 C 24/7.

    Gavin


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,755

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Obviously there is only one solution to keep fragrances intact: place them in an underground lair, and encase the fragrance in an obsidian sarcophagus imprinted with a Templar seal.


    Additionally, the fragrance will be guarded with a three headed dog, if a Hydra is unavailable. That or a killer rabbit.


    The fragrance should survive as long as your lieges do not betray the sanctity of your House. [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    If the bottle is tight, there's no chance the juice can go away, but you will spot drops inside when taking the bottle out of the fridge. That's just juice and it will drown. Outside there will be drops as well, but here it's water.

    It's like taking a bottle of Coke out of the fridge. Water drops outside and drops of coke inside. This doesn't mean the Coke gets more watery or less.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Can someone please give me a rough estimate over long a scent lasts when NOT refrigerated?

    I donít have the luxury of refrigerating my scents. My family already thinks thereís something wrong with me just because I own multiple scents. To reduce them further negatively commenting on my new hobby I keep all my scents stashed away in my room. If I was to store them in the fridge they would think Iím being obsessive and over the top so refrigerating is not a reality for me at this stage.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyMoo
    Can someone please give me a rough estimate over long a scent lasts when NOT refrigerated?

    I donít have the luxury of refrigerating my scents. My family already thinks thereís something wrong with me just because I own multiple scents. To reduce them further negatively commenting on my new hobby I keep all my scents stashed away in my room. If I was to store them in the fridge they would think Iím being obsessive and over the top so refrigerating is not a reality for me at this stage.
    I'll go along with dr creed's suggestion, however I couldn't stop laughing with regards to your parents fears!
    Let your nose be your pilot

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyMoo
    My family already thinks thereís something wrong with me just because I own multiple scents. To reduce them further negatively commenting on my new hobby I keep all my scents stashed away in my room. If I was to store them in the fridge they would think Iím being obsessive and over the top so refrigerating is not a reality for me at this stage.

    You can store every single bottle in the fridge, lock it and say there's just sausage and cheese in there. [smiley=grin.gif]

    Works perfect. If you get asked where's all your perfume gone you just reply "What perfume" ?? [smiley=grin.gif]
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    [quote author=MannyMoo link=1122920177/0#5 date=1122923000]My family already thinks thereís something wrong with me just because I own multiple scents. To reduce them further negatively commenting on my new hobby I keep all my scents stashed away in my room. If I was to store them in the fridge they would think Iím being obsessive and over the top so refrigerating is not a reality for me at this stage.

    You can store every single bottle in the fridge, lock it and say there's just sausage and cheese in there. [smiley=grin.gif]

    Works perfect. If you get asked where's all your perfume gone you just reply "What perfume" ?? [smiley=grin.gif][/quote]

    lol, Its the family fridge, I guess I could buy a safe or somthing to put my fragrances in, then I could lock it up and store it at the bottom of the fridge. When my parents ask whats in it I just wont tell them :P

    I guess I'll have to invest in a fridge for my room :/

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    I personally would not store them in the fridge. Not only would I worry about them acquiring other smells from the fridge's contents, but I would also be concerned about the chemistry of the juice. There are some compounds that can fall out of solution at colder temperatures and won't go back in very easily. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies do shelf life experiments at ambient to warmer temperatures to make sure there is no big issue with longevity.

    The *big* enemy to our precious juices is light. As long as you keep them in a dark place, they should last a long time.

    Just my $.02

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    "Obviously there is only one solution to keep fragrances intact: place them in an underground lair, and encase the fragrance in an obsidian sarcophagus imprinted with a Templar seal.


    Additionally, the fragrance will be guarded with a three headed dog, if a Hydra is unavailable. That or a killer rabbit"

    I think I saw imitation obsidian sarcophagi in blister packs at my Dollar General the other day.
    There was also a special on baby three headed shitzus at my local pet store.
    Yes! My fragrance storage problems are OVER!! [smiley=cheesy.gif]

    G

  12. #12

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Hmmm... i couldn't say as none of my fragrances have gone bad yet and the longest they've been in there is up to 3 years now.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Dammit, people -- enough smart remarks! I'm in a situation here! They're discontinuing Zino!!!
    Okay, I'm a smartass enough on BNotes I guess I deserve all the hoohah. But I am seriously asking the question. Seems like so far we've got two votes for fridges are good, and one vote for they're not good. Anyone else have an opinion?
    And I'm sure one bottle would last long enough okay at room temp, but I'm looking at getting enough to last the rest of my days -- 50 years, as Dr. Creed says. I suppose since I'm always going to have 20 bottles + of various fragrances at all times (or perhaps much more than that!), I guess I don't need like fifty bottles of Zino -- I figure six'll probably be all I'll be able to use up. Or what do you think? How many should I get?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Zino is a pretty strong juice, you don't need 50 bottles. I think even 6 bottles are way too much, but you need to know yourself.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  15. #15
    MadScientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Posts
    1,983

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I personally would not store them in the fridge. *Not only would I worry about them acquiring other smells from the fridge's contents, but I would also be concerned about the chemistry of the juice. *There are some compounds that can fall out of solution at colder temperatures and won't go back in very easily. *Also, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies do shelf life experiments at ambient to warmer temperatures to make sure there is no big issue with longevity.

    The *big* enemy to our precious juices is light. *As long as you keep them in a dark place, they should last a long time.

    Just my $.02
    I agree completely. Ever been told by a SA "Hang on....I'll have to get THAT one out of the fridge" -- I don't think so.

    I have a few precious bottles that I have vacuum-packed in seal-a-meal bags, replaced in the original boxs, & stored at room temperature. I fully expect these to last as long as I do (i'm 30ish).



  16. #16

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    [quote author=MannyMoo link=1122920177/0#5 date=1122923000]My family already thinks thereís something wrong with me just because I own multiple scents. To reduce them further negatively commenting on my new hobby I keep all my scents stashed away in my room. If I was to store them in the fridge they would think Iím being obsessive and over the top so refrigerating is not a reality for me at this stage.

    You can store every single bottle in the fridge, lock it and say there's just sausage and cheese in there. *[smiley=grin.gif]

    Works perfect. If you get asked where's all your perfume gone you just reply "What perfume" ?? *[smiley=grin.gif][/quote]


    What's really strange is the fact that they're probably going to think really negative thoughts if they see all these bottles in the fridge---but if your name was Jeffrey Dahmer; there were 20 missing persons in your neighborhood; your fridge smelled a little "off kilter" and was stuffed full of "produce", nobody would bat an eye. *Or a leg for that matter.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    I would store edt like a fine wine or liquor. Just cool and dark. Away from moisture, and strong odorants. I'd say a lockable cabinet, in the coolest room in the house. Store sealed in box, shrinkwrapped until you intend to use it. Do not disturb.

    I think refrigeration poses more complications and hazards than hypothetical benefit. Something akin to a wine cellar or one of those specialized wine refrigerators with controlled temperature and humidity (so you cold hold them at a stable 65 degrees F) might be the extreme cost is no-object solution.

  18. #18
    evogel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Milford,PA
    Posts
    1,503

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1122920177/0#9 date=1122924206]I personally would not store them in the fridge. Not only would I worry about them acquiring other smells from the fridge's contents, but I would also be concerned about the chemistry of the juice. There are some compounds that can fall out of solution at colder temperatures and won't go back in very easily. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies do shelf life experiments at ambient to warmer temperatures to make sure there is no big issue with longevity.

    The *big* enemy to our precious juices is light. As long as you keep them in a dark place, they should last a long time.

    Just my $.02
    I agree completely. Ever been told by a SA "Hang on....I'll have to get THAT one out of the fridge" -- I don't think so.

    I have a few precious bottles that I have vacuum-packed in seal-a-meal bags, replaced in the original boxs, & stored at room temperature. I fully expect these to last as long as I do (i'm 30ish).


    [/quote]


    Actually, the Frederic Malle boutiques use coolers! Michael Edwards, the fragrance guru/specialist, uses a series of refrigerators to store his many thousands of scents. He stores them upside down ,(I would think to keep the seals lubricated..???).
    I think keeping the scents cool and dry, at a steady state temp. is the key.
    I have had many a scent go off stored in a cool dry place in their boxes but I have yet to have one go bad with refrigerator storage. I use a dedicated, small fridge kept in the bedroom, set at it's highest temp. It looks too cool all full of bottles. I was going to go for a wine cooler but every one I saw had a clear front door and light is the enemy too so I went with the gloss black and silver fridge. Our bedroom does get quite hot even with the central a/c because it doesn't make it to the upper floor too well so I really needed a cooler option for my bottles.

    Eric thefreakinlunatic......

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1122920177/0#9 date=1122924206]I personally would not store them in the fridge. *Not only would I worry about them acquiring other smells from the fridge's contents, but I would also be concerned about the chemistry of the juice. *There are some compounds that can fall out of solution at colder temperatures and won't go back in very easily. *Also, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies do shelf life experiments at ambient to warmer temperatures to make sure there is no big issue with longevity.

    The *big* enemy to our precious juices is light. *As long as you keep them in a dark place, they should last a long time.

    Just my $.02
    I agree completely. Ever been told by a SA "Hang on....I'll have to get THAT one out of the fridge" -- I don't think so.

    I have a few precious bottles that I have vacuum-packed in seal-a-meal bags, replaced in the original boxs, & stored at room temperature. I fully expect these to last as long as I do (i'm 30ish).


    [/quote]
    Actually, i have been told that. It gets pretty hot in my country so the high end places store their fragrances in coolers, not freezers. They keep the temperature constant and cool. I think keeping a constant temp is the key.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    I would certainly see no harm in keeping them at a cooler temperature, say 50-55F. I'd just be concerned about typical temperatures of household referigerators (~35F).

    Slightly higher and more constant temps can be achieved rather cheaply by picking up an electronic temperature controller which overrides the thermostat of your fridge, and keeps it quite constant. I personally use the Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller when I homebrew certain beers (lagers), which require a constant temp of about 45F for part of the process. You can pick one of these gadgets up at any homebrew supplier for about $80 USD. You can set the device anywhere between -30F and 220F (you can hook it up to a heater as well) with a differential adjustment between 1F-30F (this tells the device how often it should kick on the compressor. I usually set mine to about 5F when lagering).

    Anyway, I'd suggest this nifty little gadget to those of you going the fragrance-fridge route. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

    Cheers,

    #



  21. #21

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    The alcohol content will prevent freezing in a refrigerator. I've been keeping mine in there on the bottom shelf for years. The only fragrances that have ever changed have been ones that were stored in the room.

    I can't justify a dedicated cooler for this for several reasons so I keep mine in three 6x9 plastic crates and try to keep my collection down to what fits. Very handy. I manage to get about fifty in there and have additional Creeds and MPGs in boxes on the next shelf up. The cold juice also feels more refreshing, especially in this hot weather.

    Should I pass on suddenly I hope my spirit will hover in the area long enough to be able to see the reaction of whomever comes in to settle my things when they open that refrigerator door.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    Should I pass on suddenly I hope my spirit will hover in the area long enough to be able to see the reaction of whomever comes in to settle my things when they open that refrigerator door.
    Don't worry, i'll be very careful! [smiley=evil.gif]

  23. #23

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I would certainly see no harm in keeping them at a cooler temperature, say 50-55F. *I'd just be concerned about typical temperatures of household referigerators (~35F).
    In my country the temp goes up as high as 95F in the afternoon heatwave. I set my cooler to a chill 65F for anyone who's interested. Don't ask me how i come about to that magical number, i just follow what the high-end shops do and have been happy ever since.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Octo--that sounds like a very cool gadget. Is it hard to install?
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    I've put a little thermometer in my fridge right when I bought it. The temperature always is between 65F and 60F. It depends on the room temperature and how much there is inside. I'm very happy with this setting. I don't store food in there, just some Coke cans and bottles of water.
    I don't think that changes of the temperature is bad for the juice, unless it's extreme, but from this setting to room temperature and back is no problem IMO, because it takes a relatively long time till the juice is at room temperature.

    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  26. #26

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    I just wanted to come back here and thank all of you guys for your responses. I appreciate the advice! I think I'm going to go grab a mini fridge!
    Thanks again, brothers.
    [smiley=beer.gif]

  27. #27

    Default Re: Fridge Storage Shelf-Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    Octo--that sounds like a very cool gadget. Is it hard to install?
    I bought the fridge used with the temp controller already attached. It looks pretty simple, and I'm assuming it comes with directions telling which wires to connect to the thermostat, etc.

    #



  28. #28

    Default Need storage suggestions for my fragrances

    We're really short on storage space in our home and our lower dressers/tables/counter tops must stay currently bare as we have an active toddler who touches everything in reach. He recently sprayed himself with my mostly costly perfume, when we weren't looking. Smelled great for a day, but we got some weird looks at Mommy and Me.

    Frankly, I'm running out of ideas for where to keep my fragrances (within easy access), and could use some suggestions. Not a huge collection - maybe 25 - 30 bottles, but am considering some type of wall cabinet for our bedroom. Can anyone suggest anything appropriate and attractive, or do you have any other ideas? I'd really appreciate any help.

    Thanks!

    Herb Lady

  29. #29

    Default Re: Need storage suggestions for my fragrances


    What about a small, say 4 cubic feet, refrigerator. Most of them are whisper quite and quite cheap these days. You could keep it in the bathroom, the bedroom, or even the walk in closet, and the top of it can be used to provide more "placement" or decorative space. The added advantage would be guaranteed longevity of your fragrances protected as they are from light and heat.

    scentemental

  30. #30

    Default Re: Need storage suggestions for my fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

    What about a small, say 4 cubic feet, refrigerator. Most of them are whisper quite and quite cheap these days. You could keep it in the bathroom, the bedroom, or even the walk in closet, and the top of it can be used to provide more "placement" or decorative space. The added advantage would be guaranteed longevity of your fragrances protected as they are from light and heat.

    scentemental
    Scentemental, I love the idea (and thank you for the suggestion), but as I'm still trying to convince my husband that we seriously need a second refrigerator/freezer for entertaining (and the added electrical costs), I know that a fragrance fridge would just about send him over the edge. We'd also have to keep it in our basement, as the living areas of our home are too small, so I wouldn't have the ready access I'd like. But I'm saving the idea for when we finally find our next, larger house!

    Thanks again,
    Herb Lady

    P.S. Actually, now that I think about it - he's been talking about a small wine fridge (he makes wine) for the house.....maybe we could do a wine/fragrance combo thing.....hmmmmm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000