Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bad Experience with The Sultan

Yesterday I went to a performance of Bach's "Saint Mathew's Passion", here in Boston at the Symphony Hall. It was a great event; the tenor was Ian Bostridge! I had decided to wear my latest acquisition, Ambre Sultan. I thought that its classy resinous smoky smell would be ideal for the occasion. I sprayed it two times on my chest and one time behind each ear.

But it was a disaster. The guy who was seated next to me kept fanning himself with the libretto/text, as if he were trying to get rid of the smell. Sometimes he even tried to turn in the other direction. I don't like being a nuisance, so I felt self conscious.

Do you think I made a mistake by wearing the Sultan? or was it the other guy's fault, for being too sensitive to fragrances? What should I do from now on?

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 21st March 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Default Re: Bad Experience with The Sultan

Are you certain your frag was the problem?

Four sprays of Ambre Sultan is three sprays too many.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Yes, Fraddicted, I am sure. 100% sure.

Don't stress, it's not your fault he doesn't appreciate SL. I know this isn't the right sort of positive mentality, but really. Don't give a shit. If you spend your life worrying about others, and what others think, and what others do and how others feel, you'll never be able to focus on yourself

Why do you think some people that come off as complete pricks are always happy?

That must have made you awfully uncomfortable. Sorry. Guess the lesson learned would be to go light on "heavier" fragrances when attending such events. I myself have allowed evenings at the opera to be marred by the over use of Estee by a lady in front of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Don't stress, it's not your fault he doesn't appreciate SL. I know this isn't the right sort of positive mentality, but really. Don't give a shit. If you spend your life worrying about others, and what others think, and what others do and how others feel, you'll never be able to focus on yourself

Why do you think some people that come off as complete pricks are always happy?
    In this case, I disagree. AS is a sillage monster and should not be worn (or only applied in microscopic doses) in situations where you will be sitting close to other people and they have no chance of escaping, like a concert. That's simply a question of good manners.
    For public occasions of this sort I'd always choose a fragrance with a very narrow radius, like Santal Imperial or Richard James EdT.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Escaping? Lol, you may call it bad manners, but I am sure, most fragrances are more pleasant than BO, no matter how intolerant certain people are. Once on a 10 hour direct flight to Sri Lanka I was sat next to one of the most unpleasant smelling people I have ever been next to, and I was in club class, where I wouldn't expect something like that. I asked if it would be possible to move seats, and the Air Hostess said to my mom (who was in the row behind me, unfortunately) that she could swap with the man that smelt bad, and the man agreed, despite that, the odor was far from pleasant. I still wasn't fanning stuff in front of me and acting as if my life was over, I simply got over it.

I still agree with you though, and what I said to Lucius, was more that he shouldn't really care now, as it's over Perhaps I should have mentioned that a lesser amount of sprays would be beneficial Lucius, just keep it in mind for next time mate

I would have started fanning too...

in his direction of course...

Nonsense! The Sultan demands respect!

Since it was sort of a high-end cultural setting, you should have reprimanded the person who was annoying you with their constant fanning by lecturing them on Lutens..that to appreciate Lutens is to appreciate art of a higher level of sophisticated cultural philosophy, and that just like the performance they were hearing and watching, this was a cultural tour de force to be appreciated by their nose! And that like everything with deeper more cerebral mechanics, it would require more effort to appreciate and understand such a level of artistic achievement!
    -

Talking Re: Bad Experience with The Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    I would have started fanning too...

in his direction of course...
    Rofl, i'm actually in tears, because it's something i'd do, if I knew I wasn't going to see the person again.

The bottom line here is that youve plonked a small fortune on a scent that you love.
    If you are expected to pre-empt or pre-suppose everyone's reaction to the fragrance before you apply it each day, then you will only make yourself miserable.

I say that (within reason) you ought to use as much or as little as you desire. You selected this fragrance as an integral part of your wardrobe for the evening and it should only be enjoyed to the fullest. Let bystanders deal with it - and don't let them rain on you parade!

In your shoes I would have turned to your neighbour and asked "Is my fragrance bothering you?"...
    If the response is "yes", I would have said "Then feel free to go outside and get some fresh air".

*takes a bow*
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st March 2008 at 05:55 PM.

As someone who loves fragrances, if I was the person who sat next to you, and you had applied that much of a potent fragrance like Ambre Sultan....quite honestly, I'd have the same reaction.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    The bottom line here is that youve plonked a small fortune on a scent that you love.
    If you are expected to pre-empt or pre-suppose everyone's reaction to the fragrance before you apply it each day, then you will only make yourself miserable.

I say that (within reason) you ought to use as much or as little as you desire. You selected this fragrance as an integral part of your wardrobe for the evening and it should only be enjoyed to the fullest. Let bystanders deal with it - and don't let them rain on you parade!

In your shoes I would have turned to your neighbour and asked "Is my fragrance bothering you?"...
    If the response is "yes", I would have said "Then feel free to go outside and get some fresh air".

*takes a bow*
    I dislike when I go to a show and am wedged between people and forced to smell their fragrances, quite often over-applied. So I either don't wear any fragrance, or wear something light and apply light. It's just being considerate.
    Last edited by DJB; 21st March 2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Blog Entries

I think if Amber Sultan is a very powerful sillage monster to begin with, then *knowingly* putting on a heavy dose of it while being in a close-in situation like a concert would be bad manners. It would be inconsiderate, because our fragrances are unlike the rest of our wardrobe in one very important manner - people around us can't ignore it.

Perhaps multiple sprays of AS would be fine in other contexts but is just too much for a concert setting.

I have to disagree with the wear-as-much-as-you-want-wherever-and-whenever stance. There needs to be some consideration of others in certain circumstances where to ask them to simply step away or go somewhere else is unreasonable.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Ambre Sultan really projects - so it is likely you were noticeable from several seats away. One light spray to the chest would have been plenty when in an auditorium - don't beat yourself up over it - just be a bit lighter next time!

(I agree with the sentiment that one should be discreet with scents in general and be mindful of the venue. Just like dressing for the occasion)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 21st March 2008 at 06:30 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

the sultan is a really bad choice for an auditorium even one spray

I never thought of Ambre Sultan as something that projects much, but I generally agree with those that say being considerate is in order. Of course, I'd be overjoyed to smell megadoes of Ambre Sultan wafting towards me in a public place, but if the fragrance is something you don't like, it's the same as being forced to inhale farts and state cigarettes for 2hrs, or the man on the train's B.O. described earlier.

Actually, lately I've been putting on overdoses of Black Aoud every day - and normally I walk an hour to get to wear I need to go, so that by the time I get there it's at a pleasant level, but the other day I was late, so I got on the bus about 5 mintues after baptizing myself in Black Aoud.

As I sat down, I realized that if I could smell myself, the people around me could probably smell me at about 10 times the level! I was surprised no one looked uncomfortable, but this poor girl a few feet away had her mits over her face and looked like she was really suffering. I felt pretty bad for her, and next time I do that I'll put on something light or just use minute amounts.

And I guess my advice is, if you want to wear Ambre Sultan or something potent at a public close quarters event, go ahead, but use tiny amounts.

And for those who say "who cares" just imagine inhaling high sillage farts for two hours!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

That rampant, self righteous, "I'll wear what I'll please as strongly as I please, to hell with the rest of you" attitude is precisely why Canada, California, and other places are moving towards completely banning scent.

There are times and places where wearing more is acceptable - if it had been an outside concert and you had your own little spot on a grass hill, sure slather it on - but in closed quarters at a relatively high end event? The other man went to listen to the music, not be accosted by a sent. It's not all that different than people talking during a movie.

I really wish people would be more considerate (I'm not pointing at you Lucius, as it seems it was an honest mistake). Don't be the bad apple that ruins it for the barrel. Please?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

*takes a bow*
    I gotta agree to disagree with you on this one Dimitri.

Imagine you are at a play and your neighbor has an ipod with an external speaker playing rap or some other sounds just loud enough to distract to a measurable degree your concentration on the primary reason you are there: to enjoy the play. Or perhaps it is a wine tasting or great dinner where the frag someone is wearing while sitting at your table is somewhat damping your ability to fully enjoy the wines or food by interfering with their aroma/taste. Same principle I think applies to inappropriately loud frag sillage in close quarter or distracting fragrances worn by some to sensitive occasions.

It does seem a bit wrong and somewhat selfish or at least inconsiderate to me if the offender realized prior to going what he/she may possibly do to other's enjoyment. Then again, many times olfactory fatigue doesn't alert the offender to the problem and/or they just have no clue. What a great time to educate them in a positive way so that they will consider not repeating the situation in the future.

But then what could be done after the fact other than the offender leave and remove most of the scent in a bathroom or leave permanently or move to where no one was offended? Of course, you could choose to change your seat (if possible) or choose to leave the event entirely.

More than likely you will just put up with it.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

It seems that the establishment of fragrance-free zones will be the next crusade for those now bored by the success of their anti-smoking initiatives. Let's not intentionally give them more fodder to chew.

"Less is more" is an adage that has stood the test of time for a reason - it is good advice because it works.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

*takes a bow*
    I gotta agree to disagree with you on this one Dimitri.

Imagine you are at a play and your neighbor has an ipod with an external speaker playing rap or some other sounds just loud enough to distract to a measurable degree your concentration on the primary reason you are there: to enjoy the play. Or perhaps it is a wine tasting or great dinner where the frag someone is wearing while sitting at your table is somewhat damping your ability to fully enjoy the wines or food by interfering with their aroma/taste. Same principle I think applies to inappropriately loud frag sillage in close quarter or distracting fragrances worn by some to sensitive occasions.

It does seem a bit wrong and somewhat selfish or at least inconsiderate to me if the offender realized prior to going what he/she may possibly do to other's enjoyment. Then again, many times olfactory fatigue doesn't alert the offender to the problem and/or they just have no clue. What a great time to educate them in a positive way so that they will consider not repeating the situation in the future.

But then what could be done after the fact other than the offender leave and remove most of the scent in a bathroom or leave permanently or move to a spot where no one was offended? Of course, you could choose to change your seat (if possible) or choose to leave the event entirely.

More than likely you will just put up with it.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That rampant, self righteous, "I'll wear what I'll please as strongly as I please, to hell with the rest of you" attitude is precisely why Canada, California, and other places are moving towards completely banning scent.
    I maintain my opinion on this.

I am a devout non-smoker.
    Whilst I do not enjoy being exposed to second-hand smoke, I will always make the effort to move table/cross the street/switch seats/wind down a window as I do not subscribe to dramatic hand-waving and pulling ugly faces as an indicator of my displeasure. I have come to recognize and understand that people and their indulgences are different the world over.

Its not "rampant self-righteousness" that demands the banning of anything from public places - rather, brutish intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I never thought of Ambre Sultan as something that projects much...
    Hey, that's what I what thinking! I've owned a bottle of AS for a couple of months now and am seriously thinking of giving it the elbow, because I'm not getting the projection I was expecting.

It would have been fun to have been one of those sitting within a seats radius to see how four sprays of AS project. (I think I might have enjoyed that more than the show itself!!) I love that fragrance but don't use it much as there is something in me that cautions me about it - that it could be potentially "off putting" - or something to that effect. In a way, I wish I were more like Vivek and Dimitri in being less timid and not "giving a $#%^". But my experiences have wired me differently and it would ruin my enjoyment of the wearing if I knew I was causing a stranger olfactory discomfort with my presence that he/she couldn't escape.

I probably would have used only one spray at most. (I often have wished the sprayers could be adjusted to dose out half-sprays or fourth-sprays). Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is one of those too. I would never put on more than a microscopic amount as it is really powerful. I also think that AS & AA would probably work better in an outdoor or drafty setting where people around have freedom of movement - not crammed in together like sardines in a can.

Keep wearing your AS, by all means!!!!

I forgot to tell you guys that I sprayed the Sultan at the theater, in the bathroom, just before going to my seat. So the fragrance was very fresh and potent.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 21st March 2008 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    In a way, I wish I were more like Vivek and Dimitri in being less timid and not "giving a $#%^".
    I do give a sh*t.

As stated in my first post, I think what we have to remember here is that we are talking about "reasonable" application of a scent. LuciusVorenus has already said that the Ambre Sultan is his most recent acquisition. He may therefore be somewhat at fault for over-applying as I imagine some of us are when getting to know the limits of a new scent.

All I am saying is most of us have a very good idea by now how much or how little fragrance is a "good thing" for a special occasion or an event.

To the dude sitting beside me flaying his arms around and pulling faces... speak up, or save the drama for your mamma!

************EDITED TO ADD****************

Having just read Lucius' admission to having sprayed Ambre Sultan just moments before taking his seat... well I would call that very poor judgement.
    Lucius... what were you thinking?!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st March 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    And for those who say "who cares" just imagine inhaling high sillage farts for two hours!
    I don't have to imagine it - I was on an airplane going to Tokyo from Chicago nonstop sitting next to someone who had obviously had eaten something that disagreed with him - farts and burps for 10 of the 12 hours. Not good ...

[And for those that do know Chicago - in the international terminal there is a burrito place ... whats up with that?! I mean everyone boarding a plane is likely going to be trapped there for several hours at least ... )
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 21st March 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Thumbs up Re: Bad Experience with The Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    In a way, I wish I were more like Vivek and Dimitri in being less timid and not "giving a $#%^".
    It's great being like that, but to be fair, I don't want to come across as an A**hole, so i'm going to justify myself

In the first place, I wouldn't have worn 4 sprays of anything potent, the main message of my post was to just say that Lucius shouldn't be worrying about it now that it's over, and that a bit of perfume wouldn't have killed the guy fanning, if he really did spend the whole show doing that, he's a bit of a drama queen, I mean, olfactory fatigue does kick in, and I'm presuming (with slight past experience) that it's easier to occur if you don't constantly think about the smell!

People always find something to complain about, you just get people like that, i'm sure i'm one of those people when I go to places such as restaurants and hotels. But in places where people gather (public places and/or parties), even if something is annoying me, and I can't get away from it, I deal with it. More and more people nowadays want to control everything, and I can't stand people like that, hence the slightly prick-ish response.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    ...hence the slightly prick-ish response.
    LOOOL! From one "slight prick" to another, I hear ya sonny!

Speaking from previous experience when i didn't know how powerful santal de mysore can be especially when one's body warms up i can have some sympathy with the guy ,but the fanning and snooty looks are just the reactions of a prick ,he should have said something and left it at that and maybe you could have said sorry mate it's new and i didn't realise it was so strong and both got on with watching the performance instead of that cock ruining it for both of you because lets face it if it really was that offensive he would have got up and left.