Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 66
  1. #1

    Default How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hi, this is a guide to help you, the buyer, to spot counterfeit Designer brand cologne and Perfume on eBay.
    First thing first, the list of the 99% safe fragrance buys on ebay:
    1. Tester Bottles. As far as I know, no counterfeiter goes through the trouble of locating an empty tester bottle and fill it up. And since tester fragrances usually sell for lower than the retail package, those counterfeiters will not make as much money.
    2. Used Fragrance. There's nothing wrong with buying a 90% or 50% filled bottle of fragrance if the price is right. The seller usually gives out good reasons to sell them. Again it won't be a counterfeit because the fakers won't make as much money.
    3. Samples. The little .05oz sample vials of designer fragrance that come in paper packaging are most definitely authentic. They will also come in handy for spotting imitation fragrances as I will mention later.
    4. Gift Boxes. Usually these contain deodorant sticks, shaving balm, lotion, shower gel etc. Counterfeiters usually don't bother faking the whole package.
    5. Smaller sizes. For example The Ralph Lauren Double black has sizes 4.2oz and 2.5oz available. Most of the knock offs are 4.2, so the 2.5 is a safer bet.
    PS:Look for sellers who don't specialize in fragrances, but just got them as a gift and want to pass them on. Also there's some bargain hunters who found a good fragrance for low price and wanted to sell it, that's pretty safe too.(thanks soto88)

    Now, these are the commonly counterfeited fragrances on eBay, note that by no means is this a complete list, and if you have anything to add, feel free.
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed
    Himalaya by Creed
    Actually everything by Creed on ebay is 90% fake.
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for Men AND Women
    Armani Code
    J'Adore by Dior
    Cool Water by Davidoff
    Acqua Di Gio
    Clinique Happy
    Princess by Vera Wang
    Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel
    Actually, watch out for ANYTHING by Chanel.
    DKNY Be Delicious
    L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Sean John Unforgiveable
    Ralph Lauren Romance
    Ralph Lauren Double Black




    Now, those are the most common counterfeited fragrances, but that doesn't mean every single one of them on eBay is fake, you just have to beware of the following points when shopping:
    1. Seller has 0 feedback. This one is a no brainer. No matter how cheap it is, no matter how tempting, don't buy it.
    2. Seller lists A TON of the above "dangerous" fragrances at cheap starting bid(usually between .99 and 19.99). By a ton I mean at least 3 different kinds of the above fragrances and 5+ listings of each. Again, this doesn't guarantee the seller to be a faker, but it is very likely. If the seller sells other (none popularly counterfeited) brands in small quantities, then he's a little bit safer.
    3. Bidder list shows "User ID Kept Private" The seller doesn't want experienced fragrance shoppers to warn the bidder of the possible dangers of the fragrance, so the seller chose to hide all the bidder names.
    4. Seller uses ALL stock photos for EVERY fragrance he sells.
    5. Check the seller feedback. If there's at least 1 negative feed back in the past 3 months, find out what it says, if it's an unhappy buyer who claims the perfume is a fake, or if the bottle is leaking, don't buy from that seller. I know you will be wondering "But he's a power seller! And he has thousands of positive feedback! How can he sell knock-offs?" Well, all those people are just average consumers, they can't distinguish a good knock off from the real thing. (Best tool to check negative/neutral feedback is http://toolhaus.org/ ) Also, check the feedback from the buyers who bought the same juice as you, if they only commented on "speedy delivery" or "pleasant communication" and nothing about the juice being "authentic", be wary.(thanks akshay03) Sometimes people just do a feedback when the item arrived, then it smells funny and they can't take back the positive comment.
    6. You should take the words "100% Authentic" with a grain of salt. Also, if it says Satisfaction Guaranteed and nothing about the authenticity of the fragrance, be careful.
    7. Make sure there's an option to pay with PayPal, so when you do get a faker you can get your money back.
    8. Also make sure the seller have a good return policy set up.
    9. Beware of listings New York City, it is just a counterfeit heaven. The most authentic fakes are from NYC: colognes, watches, purses,, sunglasses, etc. Even if it is not from NYC, but it is from New York state or New Jersey, be careful. I've got nothing against you guys living there, but you probably saw the counterfeit scene there, and it is pretty bad. Also be careful f the seller's origin is not listed.
    10. If you see expensive perfumes like Creed being sold as a "buy-it-now" from a seller that is NOT a store, then it's usually a fake. Especially if the seller has like 63 bottles of it as buy-it-now.(thanks RomanceSilver)

    So you finally bought a bottle after you done extensive research on the listing, and it arrives. How do you check if it's real?
    Do as many of these things as possible:
    1. Examine the plastic wrapper. IF it has a plastic wrapper, check to see if it's tight. If it's taped together or easy to open, then it's a fake. (Note that the real cool water by Davidoff doesn't come in plastic wrappers)
    2.Check the box, if the top or bottom is easy to open, i.e. doesn't have that same resistance as a brand new box, then it's most likely a fake. Check the inside edges of the tabs of the box. if it's scratched, then it's a fake.
    3. Check the bottle, if the letters come off easily, something spelled wrong, scratched on the bottle, stickers falling off, sprayer won't work, cap won't fit, then it's a fake.
    4. Go to the nearest mall, Sephora, Bloomingdale, or any other popular fragrance store and ask for a sample of the fragrance you bought. If they don't have a sample you can take home, ask for a card and ask for a spray of the fragrance on the card. Take the sample home and compare the smell of it and the bottle you just bought.
    5. If you live in somewhere remote, with no fragrance stores near you, buy samples off eBay.

    In the event that you DO find it a fake, ask the seller for a refund and ask them to cover the return shipping charges. IF they refuse, open up a "item not as described" dispute through PayPal.

    Thanks for reading. I just wanted to write this guide after falling victim to the dishonest sellers on eBay. I hope it helps y'all to spot counterfeited fragrances.
    Last edited by divinebaboon; 24th November 2008 at 01:15 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Nice post...thank you.

  3. #3

    Smile Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by divinebaboon View Post
    9. Don't buy anything from the NY, NJ area.
    Hahah, this made me laugh!

    If it's too good to be true, it usually is. Just don't risk it ! Basenotes marketplace exists for addicts like us!

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Nice thread dude


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  5. #5

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hahah, this made me laugh!

    If it's too good to be true, it usually is. Just don't risk it ! Basenotes marketplace exists for addicts like us!
    lol in all honesty those areas are highly dangerous. Every time I goto Chinatown I see authentic looking fragrances for 15% of the retail price. NYC is the counterfeit heaven. Buy any fragrance from there and you'll regret it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    This was a much needed thread, props! Please sticky!

    I'd add Milliseme Imperial and Himalaya to that list as well.

    Also, another tip I would add is to try to find a feedback of the item you are trying to buy. For example, if you are trying to get MI, look in the user's feedback and see if they've already sold MI (this is only if they're a 'Power Seller,' if they're just starting out, then it's harder to tell). If they have sold it before, check the buyer's feedback. If it says something like "100% legit!" "authentic!" "real! honest seller" then it's a pretty safe bet to bid on it. I've noticed most buyers just comment on the speed of the shipping or the packaging or stuff like that, but it's the few that comment on the legitimacy of the juice that are really helpful. I also do this when I buy something from a seller on eBay - I comment that it's legit, etc. I suggest everyone else to do the same!

    Another thing would be to list the normal ranges of items. If you're looking for Creed, EXPECT to pay at least $60 for a 2.5 oz bottle, EXPECT to pay at least $100 for a 4.0 oz bottle. If you're seeing 4.0 oz Creeds for 50 bucks then most likely they're FAKE. Remember, fake sellers have no NEED to charge a 100 bucks for something and risk people not bidding on it because the price is too high - only legit dealers do this, because it probably cost them $80-90 to acquire the bottle itself so they're just trying to turn a profit. This is not an end-all system, but I've found it's a good guideline.
    Last edited by akshay03; 22nd March 2008 at 04:27 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by divinebaboon View Post




    .

    Don't buy anything from the NY, NJ area. Or if the seller's origin is not listed.
    Tell me where you live so that I may write stereotypes about you as well...

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Tell me where you live so that I may write stereotypes about you as well...
    Sorry I didn't mean it as a stereotype. ..I will change the wording.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I don't really see it as a stereotype, it's almost a statistic that New York City (and Chinatown in particular) are a hub for counterfeiting. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080226...y_080226204031). And I'm saying this having lived in NY and having my favorite team of 10 years be the New York Giants... so no bias here. Maybe the wording could have been made more "PC" but the fact still remains the same.
    Last edited by akshay03; 22nd March 2008 at 04:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,708

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Wonderful post - thanks divinebaboon and welcome to Basenotes!

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I have come to find out that the best deals come from people who don't specialize in selling cologne or perfume but rather got a bottle as a gift that they decided they would pass on.

  12. #12

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Thanks for the helpful guide, divinebaboon.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Wait a minute, are you telling me that there are fakes on ebay?! What are you going to tell me next, that my bottle of Green Frich Tweed is fake too? :-)
    Last edited by Maz24; 22nd March 2008 at 07:19 PM.

  14. #14
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Wait a minute, are you telling me that there are fakes on ebay?! What are you going to tell me next, that my bottle of Green Frich Tweed is fake too? :-)
    Nope. I would bet your bottle is authentic Green Frich Tweed
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  15. #15

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    You forgot to mention, if you see expensive perfumes like Creed being sold as a "buy-it-now"(for a cheap price) from a seller that is NOT a store, then it's usually a fake. Especially if the seller has large quantities and it shows something like

    Quantity: 63 available.

    Otherwise, it's a really nice guide, great job!
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 23rd March 2008 at 08:55 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Nope. I would bet your bottle is authentic Green Frich Tweed

    Thank goodness, I got worried there for a minute.

  17. #17

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    Another thing would be to list the normal ranges of items. If you're looking for Creed, EXPECT to pay at least $60 for a 2.5 oz bottle, EXPECT to pay at least $100 for a 4.0 oz bottle. If you're seeing 4.0 oz Creeds for 50 bucks then most likely they're FAKE
    what, you mean there's no such thing as a free lunch? **wail**
    Can get (mostly mass market) miniatures on the cheap, inquire within. Will ship worldwide at cost.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Great post, can we get it stickied???
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by elleana View Post
    what, you mean there's no such thing as a free lunch? **wail**
    There is when you go to Birmingham University International Language Day, I got a £3 lunch voucher.

  20. #20

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    You can check ebay seller feedback easily at toolhaus.org

    Also, that site listing Frich Tweed also has Cubas, which are not likely to be fakes, so my guess is that they are just not too swift.

  21. #21

    Question Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I'd like you guys' opinion on something.

    Do you think Creed bottles on AllSheWants ebay store are safe?

    They run about 120 bucks for a 4oz spray.


    I've ordered many designer fragrances from there and those seems to be legit.
    (Cartier Declaration and Bois Bleu I'm sure are legit, Terre d'Hermes, Gucci Envy, Burberry London and Ungaro III also pretty sure are the real deal).


    They sell Annick Goutal and Creed as their only kinda-niche brands, should I just go for it?

  22. #22
    dpak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve
    Posts
    664

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    JimProfit357, you should check out this thread on ebay sellers: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177412
    It also mentions the site http://www.toolhaus.org/ which has feedback on ebay sellers. And, you may want to do a thread search for ebay for more advice.

    You should do your homework before ordering just to be on the safe side. Getting burned sucks.

  23. #23

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Very nice write up.

  24. #24

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I just found out about dsrwatch.com, which is another way to see what ebay buyers think of ebay sellers.

  25. #25
    laim
    Guest

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hi, everyone, I was looking what allshewants sells on ebay and found this juicy couture fragrance: http://cgi.ebay.com/JUICY-COUTURE-Perfume-1-7-edp-NEW-in-BOX_W0QQitemZ200221362728QQihZ010QQcategoryZ159777 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    I don't have this fragrance and thought that the cap of the bottle has to be transparent, and here it seems as if being white, maybe this is just misunderstanding with photo and that's all? Please, share your opinion about the originality of this fragrance - I'm trying to make my mind and to decide if I should order from this seller or to look for another one. Thank you
    Last edited by laim; 7th May 2008 at 06:49 PM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    With that tutorial should come a list of some of legit links to places on ebay where you can get the cheap stuff. This should help the new people that are just starting out to make that first purchase to feel that they can buy off ebay from legit ppl as such.

  27. #27

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    AllSheWants seems to be very legit. I have bought several bottles and found good references on BN too. Never got a Creed from them, though. I liked Creedirect when it was around.

    Currently trying to return a fake MI made in "Raris" France. (Not from AllSheWants or Creedirect, tho'.)

  28. #28

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Sounds Like Raris is a hub for Counterfeiting then too?....*Dang*

  29. #29

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by divinebaboon View Post
    Now, these are the commonly counterfeited fragrances on eBay, ...Armani Code ...
    Thanks for this! I just got a bottle of Armani Code for women off Ebay, from a seller in NYC, for a pretty good price, sealed tightly in plastic but with a loose cap and with a bottle shaped way differently than the bottles on the Armani website and even from the bottle shown in the seller's ad.

    So, I just wrote to her and asked about that lid and bottle shape. We'll see what she says. Unless Code comes in two different bottle shapes, I think I've been snookered and will contact Paypal to dispute.

    Btw, the Code smells lovely! Do most fakes smell good and last a long time??

  30. #30

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    9. Beware of listings New York City, it is just a counterfeit heaven. The most authentic fakes are from NYC: colognes, watches, purses,, sunglasses, etc. Even if it is not from NYC, but it is from New York state or New Jersey, be careful. I've got nothing against you guys living there, but you probably saw the counterfeit scene there, and it is pretty bad. Also be careful f the seller's origin is not listed

    Thanks for the shot being from New Jersey and 10 minutes from NYC have to say we all arent theives but glad you pointed it out to me there goes another sleepless night maybe I should move.

  31. #31

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by soto88 View Post
    I have come to find out that the best deals come from people who don't specialize in selling cologne or perfume but rather got a bottle as a gift that they decided they would pass on.
    I agree with that statement. I have bought several frags off eBay this way and they were legit. I've also bought bottles that were partially used.... and they were fine. I have to admit thought, that I've never bought any seriously high-end frags - like Chanel or Creed - off of eBay.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

  32. #32

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogsleeping View Post
    9. Beware of listings New York City, it is just a counterfeit heaven. The most authentic fakes are from NYC: colognes, watches, purses,, sunglasses, etc. Even if it is not from NYC, but it is from New York state or New Jersey, be careful. I've got nothing against you guys living there, but you probably saw the counterfeit scene there, and it is pretty bad. Also be careful f the seller's origin is not listed

    Thanks for the shot being from New Jersey and 10 minutes from NYC have to say we all arent theives but glad you pointed it out to me there goes another sleepless night maybe I should move.
    I feel ya, brother! I live an hour north of NYC.

    I've also seen eBay seller out of California that look like they may be selling fakes. And... please don't buy frags from sellers out of Taiwan, Hong Kong or other parts of China. Nothing against the Chinese, but a lot of counterfeit designer stuff comes from there!
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

  33. #33

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

  34. #34

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I registered an account, just to say "Thank You" for the thread!

  35. #35

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    I was thinking there was a thread where people were posting legitimate sellers on ebay but can't find it now. At any rate just thought I would share that "perfumegalaxy" on ebay is apparently Perfume Emporium. I ordered several minis from them on ebay and the shipping notices came from PE. They are selling them much cheaper on ebay though.

  36. #36

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by msm81 View Post
    I was thinking there was a thread where people were posting legitimate sellers on ebay but can't find it now. At any rate just thought I would share that "perfumegalaxy" on ebay is apparently Perfume Emporium. I ordered several minis from them on ebay and the shipping notices came from PE. They are selling them much cheaper on ebay though.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177412

    It's a couple of posts up.

  37. #37

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Greetings! It's been ages since I last visited or posted on BN. I was wondering if a resident Chanel expert could answer a question about the manufacturing source of Chanels, CoCo Mademoiselle & Chance in particular. There is an Ebay seller that is claiming that these particular ones are manufactured both in the U.S. and in France. He is distinguishing himself by saying that HIS listings are those that are made in France. Is this true or a load of bull?

  38. #38

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hi there,

    First time poster here. I've noticed that on eBay some fragrances are described as 3.3 oz, but legit fragrance sites list them as 3.4 oz. Is it safe to assume that these are fakes? The .1 difference is minuscule though, are 3.3 and 3.4 oz interchangeable terms?

  39. #39

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Tell me where you live so that I may write stereotypes about you as well...
    I don't think that this thread was ment to stereotype that particular area, they are just stating facts that there are a lot of immitation products made there, and to be aware before you purchase. I lived in NY for a few years and agree that there are many 'immitation discount sellers' from handbags to jewerly to perfume and almost everything else you can think of.

    This is a very informative thread...especially because I am a frequent eBay shopper. I do follow most of the steps you have listed by checking the listings, prices, and feedback carefully. I also inspect the packaging when the item arrives and test out the perfume a couple of times before I leave feedback.

    I was sold a fake one time...the packaging on the bottom of the box said 'fraquance' instead of 'fragrance'...it also smelled completely different from the ones I have tested in department stores, hence to say I filed a claim with paypal. Other than that I have had good experiences on eBay with perfume purchases. I do have member id names of what I would consider reputable perfume/ cologne sellers if anyone is interested before they purchase from eBay...just send a message.
    www.rigosplace.com

    ...xXjEnNyXx...

    ====MY ADDICTION====

    <3<3 PERFUME<3<3

  40. #40

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by divinebaboon View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean it as a stereotype. ..I will change the wording.
    Sorry all, but I don't see it as a stereotype either. It's no secret that a whole lotta fakes come from places with a lot of commerce, right?

  41. #41

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    This is a fabulous post! Thanks for getting this bumped up. I've been considering ordering some fragrances off of ebay and following these rules will definitely help me sort out the good from the bad!
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

  42. #42

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    <bangs head> In reviewing this post and digging deeper on ebay, I now think that the bottle of frag I'm awaiting will most certainly be a fake. Sigh. At least I paid less than $30 for it...I guess I can use it to scent my delicate laundry water or something....

  43. #43

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    EMB 77477A

    does that seem right for a bottle of GIT that is the newer, clear with gold label bottle, 2.5 ounce?

  44. #44

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Delphium View Post
    Hi there,

    First time poster here. I've noticed that on eBay some fragrances are described as 3.3 oz, but legit fragrance sites list them as 3.4 oz. Is it safe to assume that these are fakes? The .1 difference is minuscule though, are 3.3 and 3.4 oz interchangeable terms?
    Del,
    That would be a bad assumption. Whether listed as 3.3 or 3.4 it doesn't matter. They both refer to 100mL, it just depends on how you round.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

  45. #45
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Beware sellers auctioning off Opium EDT starting at 99 cents. There is one in particular who seems to have an endless supply and these bottles are won at about 30-40 dollars a piece.
    FAKE! I was burnt by this -paid $ 35 dollars, wrapper was loose- bottle and packaging all seemed genuine. Decided to open and test- most defintely NOT Opium EDT just crap in it. So don't bid.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  46. #46

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Wait a minute, are you telling me that there are fakes on ebay?! What are you going to tell me next, that my bottle of Green Frich Tweed is fake too? :-)
    Yeah, but you bought it at 90% discount, right? What a deal !!!!

  47. #47

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hello hello,
    I also wanted to thank you kindly for posting this thread. I was pretty sure the cologne I picked up off e-bay was a fake, and these postings helped me confirm that in my head. There were a few peculiarities about my experience I thought I'd share here..

    Purchased a bottle of "Higher" by Dior, (been using it for too long now probably) from an e-bay "power seller" with 99.9% positive feedback, 1500+ positives, 2 neutral, 1 negative, nothing about a poor quality product though.

    The item arrived quickly and well packaged from a Long Island NYC address.. whereas the seller e-bay address claimed CA as the item origin. The address is associated with several online fragrance dealers efragrances.net, fragranceX.com etc.

    The cellophane wrapper came open quite easily, it looked like someone had soaped it, or possibly licked it to close it.. It had a round CD sticker on the top which wasn't actually holding anything closed.

    I pulled out the bottle, noticed it was emanating a smell already.. flipped it over, and immediately saw that someone had taken an engraving pen to the serial number.. Alarm bells began ringing..

    So I took a closer look at the box.. it looked as though someone had a go at it with an exacto-knife.. There were ~7 holes in the packaging, the two on the exterior were covered with stickers, one an obviously printed bar code.. Two rectangular strips on the interior were cut out, and ran nearly the full length of the box.. The seams of the box were ridiculously delicate as well..

    Finally, I popped open the bottom of the actual fragrance housing, which also came out quite easily, and pulled the bottle out of the aluminum casing. To my horror and somewhat surprise, (although I was mostly expecting it at this point..) the bottle was poly/plastic..

    I couldn't imagine Christian Dior would put together a package like this.. Their website claims a "Glass-Opal" bottle, In my previous experiences it was definitely some kind of ceramic. so.. I e-mailed the seller, opened a claim with PayPal saying I figured it was a fake/knockoff, and sent photos and a description/question to Dior.com..

    The seller didn't immediately respond to my e-mail, but they jumped all over me for the paypal claim, saying they were "deeply offended" and that this was a "completely inappropriate" way to interact with a "reputable seller"..

    They wrote back a few more than a few times.. and finally responded to my query about the poly bottle and missing serial number.. saying the bottle is "often plastic" but they were "unsure about the decoding" the seller claimed that this might be so that it "cannot be returned to a retail establishment" (they are purchasing from a wholesale distributor supposedly)..

    Any thoughts on this, as in.. Is this a valid claim? I don't believe it myself.. Why would someone go to the trouble of opening every package, engraving off the serial number, re-sealing it.. and re-selling it unless they were doing something else to the product, or trying to cover their tracks..?

    The final thing that made me sad about this whole deal was that I selected the seller not based on price/availability/feedback etc.. but because they claimed that 100% of the sale price would go to saving homeless dogs or cats... Their website is millcreekrescue.org and totally looks like a scam site in this new light.. Their e-bay ID is millcreekrescue909.. buyers beware.

    I tacked on an image at the bottom, Just for reference..



    If I've violated any user agreement terms with this posting, please let me know, and I'll edit it right away.

    Thank you again for this thread.

  48. #48

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    reposted in a different thread...
    Last edited by *bloomy*; 25th February 2010 at 06:34 PM.

  49. #49

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    moved to the Spot My Fakes thread...I'm new!
    Last edited by *bloomy*; 25th February 2010 at 06:37 PM.

  50. #50

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hi and welcome Bloomy!

    You've got yourself a "grey market" fragrance. It isn't as bad as it sounds. It is common practice for grey market fragrances to have serial numbers removed. This is done to prevent manufacturers from tracking the circulation of their fragrances between different regions of the world. For example, if Creed sells for $150 in Dubai but $250 in the US, the Dubai distributer can sell the fragrance to a US company for $175 and turn a higher profit than they would selling it locally, while the US seller can then re-sell for $200. It's a win-win-win for everyone (distributer, reseller and consumer) but a bad thing for Creed. Hense measures are taken to prevent tracking the movements of these products.

  51. #51

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Hi, Thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome!

    So do you think my Diorissimo might be legit? It smells very strong and synthetic to me. I have been comparing various Lily of the valley frags for spring and Diorissimo is one that I have never smelled before so I have no basis for comparison. Nobody in Washington state (where I am) carries this frag in stock; I've tried Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, Barney's, Sephora and others. Apparently closest stockist to me is Saks in Portland, about a five hour drive.

    I did order some samples coming from Christian Dior for comparison, but they won't be here by the time I would need to return this bottle, if indeed it is a fake.

    Thanks so much for all of your help it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by *bloomy*; 24th February 2010 at 11:18 PM.

  52. #52

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Does the counterfeiters bother to make some bottle of fake Antaeus or fake Pour Monsieur not concentree?

  53. #53

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by divinebaboon View Post
    Hi, this is a guide to help you, the buyer, to spot counterfeit Designer brand cologne and Perfume on eBay.
    First thing first, the list of the 99% safe fragrance buys on ebay:
    1. Tester Bottles. As far as I know, no counterfeiter goes through the trouble of locating an empty tester bottle and fill it up. And since tester fragrances usually sell for lower than the retail package, those counterfeiters will not make as much money.
    2. Used Fragrance. There's nothing wrong with buying a 90% or 50% filled bottle of fragrance if the price is right. The seller usually gives out good reasons to sell them. Again it won't be a counterfeit because the fakers won't make as much money.
    3. Samples. The little .05oz sample vials of designer fragrance that come in paper packaging are most definitely authentic. They will also come in handy for spotting imitation fragrances as I will mention later.
    4. Gift Boxes. Usually these contain deodorant sticks, shaving balm, lotion, shower gel etc. Counterfeiters usually don't bother faking the whole package.
    5. Smaller sizes. For example The Ralph Lauren Double black has sizes 4.2oz and 2.5oz available. Most of the knock offs are 4.2, so the 2.5 is a safer bet.
    PS:Look for sellers who don't specialize in fragrances, but just got them as a gift and want to pass them on. Also there's some bargain hunters who found a good fragrance for low price and wanted to sell it, that's pretty safe too.(thanks soto88)

    Now, these are the commonly counterfeited fragrances on eBay, note that by no means is this a complete list, and if you have anything to add, feel free.
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed
    Himalaya by Creed
    Actually everything by Creed on ebay is 90% fake.
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for Men AND Women
    Armani Code
    J'Adore by Dior
    Cool Water by Davidoff
    Acqua Di Gio
    Clinique Happy
    Princess by Vera Wang
    Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel
    Actually, watch out for ANYTHING by Chanel.
    DKNY Be Delicious
    L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Sean John Unforgiveable
    Ralph Lauren Romance
    Ralph Lauren Double Black




    Now, those are the most common counterfeited fragrances, but that doesn't mean every single one of them on eBay is fake, you just have to beware of the following points when shopping:
    1. Seller has 0 feedback. This one is a no brainer. No matter how cheap it is, no matter how tempting, don't buy it.
    2. Seller lists A TON of the above "dangerous" fragrances at cheap starting bid(usually between .99 and 19.99). By a ton I mean at least 3 different kinds of the above fragrances and 5+ listings of each. Again, this doesn't guarantee the seller to be a faker, but it is very likely. If the seller sells other (none popularly counterfeited) brands in small quantities, then he's a little bit safer.
    3. Bidder list shows "User ID Kept Private" The seller doesn't want experienced fragrance shoppers to warn the bidder of the possible dangers of the fragrance, so the seller chose to hide all the bidder names.
    4. Seller uses ALL stock photos for EVERY fragrance he sells.
    5. Check the seller feedback. If there's at least 1 negative feed back in the past 3 months, find out what it says, if it's an unhappy buyer who claims the perfume is a fake, or if the bottle is leaking, don't buy from that seller. I know you will be wondering "But he's a power seller! And he has thousands of positive feedback! How can he sell knock-offs?" Well, all those people are just average consumers, they can't distinguish a good knock off from the real thing. (Best tool to check negative/neutral feedback is http://toolhaus.org/ ) Also, check the feedback from the buyers who bought the same juice as you, if they only commented on "speedy delivery" or "pleasant communication" and nothing about the juice being "authentic", be wary.(thanks akshay03) Sometimes people just do a feedback when the item arrived, then it smells funny and they can't take back the positive comment.
    6. You should take the words "100% Authentic" with a grain of salt. Also, if it says Satisfaction Guaranteed and nothing about the authenticity of the fragrance, be careful.
    7. Make sure there's an option to pay with PayPal, so when you do get a faker you can get your money back.
    8. Also make sure the seller have a good return policy set up.
    9. Beware of listings New York City, it is just a counterfeit heaven. The most authentic fakes are from NYC: colognes, watches, purses,, sunglasses, etc. Even if it is not from NYC, but it is from New York state or New Jersey, be careful. I've got nothing against you guys living there, but you probably saw the counterfeit scene there, and it is pretty bad. Also be careful f the seller's origin is not listed.
    10. If you see expensive perfumes like Creed being sold as a "buy-it-now" from a seller that is NOT a store, then it's usually a fake. Especially if the seller has like 63 bottles of it as buy-it-now.(thanks RomanceSilver)

    So you finally bought a bottle after you done extensive research on the listing, and it arrives. How do you check if it's real?
    Do as many of these things as possible:
    1. Examine the plastic wrapper. IF it has a plastic wrapper, check to see if it's tight. If it's taped together or easy to open, then it's a fake. (Note that the real cool water by Davidoff doesn't come in plastic wrappers)
    2.Check the box, if the top or bottom is easy to open, i.e. doesn't have that same resistance as a brand new box, then it's most likely a fake. Check the inside edges of the tabs of the box. if it's scratched, then it's a fake.
    3. Check the bottle, if the letters come off easily, something spelled wrong, scratched on the bottle, stickers falling off, sprayer won't work, cap won't fit, then it's a fake.
    4. Go to the nearest mall, Sephora, Bloomingdale, or any other popular fragrance store and ask for a sample of the fragrance you bought. If they don't have a sample you can take home, ask for a card and ask for a spray of the fragrance on the card. Take the sample home and compare the smell of it and the bottle you just bought.
    5. If you live in somewhere remote, with no fragrance stores near you, buy samples off eBay.

    In the event that you DO find it a fake, ask the seller for a refund and ask them to cover the return shipping charges. IF they refuse, open up a "item not as described" dispute through PayPal.

    Thanks for reading. I just wanted to write this guide after falling victim to the dishonest sellers on eBay. I hope it helps y'all to spot counterfeited fragrances.


    I have just been ripped off on Ebay after buying a chanel no 5. On arrival it smelt wrong and on inspecting the package it had a different ingredients list than my store bought one, much simpler and shorter, plus same ingredients listed twice. It has typo errors on the packaging. i complained to Ebay but have been told to get it verified and obtain a letter verifying it is fake. Who is going to do this for me, a store will not as there is nothing in it for them? I am up a creek without a paddle. the seller refuses a refund as I opened it, and he is accusing me of swapping it for a fake !!!!!!!!!!!! Be very careful with Ebay folks. Paypal do not automatically accept your claim. you are made to feel like you are the guilty one.

  54. #54

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Bump!
    Good OP. I thought I would resurrect this as I have seen evidence of this in recent days on ebay..

  55. #55

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Bump!
    Good OP. I thought I would resurrect this as I have seen evidence of this in recent days on ebay..

  56. #56
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,196

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Important especially for those who are just starting recently to buy fragrances on Ebay.

  57. #57

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Important especially for those who are just starting recently to buy fragrances on Ebay.

    Speaking personally I think it is a superb place to buy used designer frags. Especially if it is not Acqua Di Gio, Le Male or Code. Most people do not bid for any others and the others are almost guaranteed to be legit. I have bought many where the postage cost was about the same as the frag price..

  58. #58

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Important especially for those who are just starting recently to buy fragrances on Ebay.

    Speaking personally I think it is a superb place to buy used designer frags. Especially if it is not Acqua Di Gio, Le Male or Code. Most people do not bid for any others and the others are almost guaranteed to be legit. I have bought many where the postage cost was about the same as the frag price..

  59. #59

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    Chanels. My worst experience on ebay

  60. #60

    Default Re: How to spot Fake Cologne and Perfume on eBay

    [QUOTE=divinebaboon;1184968]Hi, this is a guide to help you, the buyer, to spot counterfeit Designer brand cologne and Perfume on eBay.
    First thing first, the list of the 99% safe fragrance buys on ebay:
    1. Tester Bottles. As far as I know, no counterfeiter goes through the trouble of locating an empty tester bottle
    ETC..


    Question: I recently purchased on Ebay , A bottle of Zegna Intenso, However eventhough it was described as brand new unopened , There was no plastic wrapping around the box.

    Is there anyway I can find out if its a fake?

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •