Code of Conduct

Default A Trade-Off Between Talents: What Makes a Parfumeur

Some people are very lucky. They are born with a natural aptitude or talent that enables them to sense and identify scents efortlessly, including any lack of balance. These are the natural born parfumeurs: Even if they are not very smart, or creative, they have an excellent nose. They are like bloodhounds.

On the other hand, some people do not have such good noses, but are very smart. They have difficulties sensing subtle smells, or identifying subtle differences between notes. But still, they are able to classify fragrances, and use their intelligence to criticize them, to suggest improvements. They are also capable of keeping all the information in their minds, using it when needed, for comparisons and analogies. They use their vast culture and knowledge about the world as a tool to better evaluate scents.

But the question I meant to ask is this: Who do you think would make a better perfume maker? A natural born "hound", or a smart guy, who has a lot of culture and undertands the metier? Of course, the ideal situation is to have both talents. But if you had to choose only one, which one would it be?

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 21st March 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: A Trade-Off Between Talents: What Makes a Parfumeur

If you're looking as Perfumery as an art/craft, then I believe the second, but with a well trained nose (not natural ability, just experience!) The scents made by these people, are most likely to be branded as niche, different, creative and most importantly, individual. I believe that this can swing both ways though, for good or bad, but there will be connoisseurs, like us, far and few, that will appreciate them even if they don't like wearing them too much

The 'bloodhound' type would be most useful, for someone who works for a company that makes fragrances on contracts for generic companies (unfortunately, Coty comes to mind) where they know what they have to smell, as the stuff they're trying to get close to, has most likely been put through a gas/liquid chromotographer and so on!

I appreciate the latter type of person, as they view fragrances and value them in the way I do. The first person, I have very little awe towards, but can still see that they can come up with the odd gem, just because of a natural gift

Ideally, both, is perfect though, and that's what it takes most of the time!

Perserverance always trumps natural talent. Of course, a combination of the two is ideal.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Some people are very luckyThey are like bloodhounds: Who do you think would make a better perfume maker? A natural born "hound", or a smart guy, who has a lot of culture and undertands the metier?
    If scent hounds made good perfumers, then my dog Ruggles would be working for Firmenich and would have developed their most realistic gourmand fragrances. As the saying goes, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st March 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    If scent hounds made good perfumers, then my dog Ruggles would be working for Firmenich and would have developed their most realistic gourmand fragrances. As the saying goes, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
    "It's BACON"!!!!

id say the intelligent chap