Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Do any of you guys enjoy Oud Queen Roses by Montale?

I rarely hear it discussed here on the mens board, however I've been testing a sample of it from jr4dt and now I finally see how different it is than Black Aoud, Lime Aoud, etc.

The rose note is much more prominent, the oud note is a little less prominent - and the hibiscus (a flower that I have smelled all of my life...hibiscus plants are everywhere in Miami) gives it a slightly more sensual or exotic feel. It also isn't quite so aggressive as the Black Aoud. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the intensity of BA. Do any of you own Oud Queen Roses and wish to share about your experiences with it?

In addition, why does Montale call this Oud Queen Roses, but then uses the other way to spell it A-O-U-D in Black Aoud and Aoud Lime? Is Montale implying that aoud and oud are different ingredients?

Default Re: Do any of you guys enjoy Oud Queen Roses by Montale?

I do... and enjoy it immensely! I also have Roses Petals... and it's great too. The fact that impresses me the most is that most of the rose based ouds all have something distinctly different about them that makes them all worth having and enjoying.

I wore Black Oud today, and enjoyed it - I went to the library and several people definitely caught some trail of it because I could hear whispers as I went around the bookshelf. You're right, sometimes it comes off too strong. When I wear Queen Roses, I feel more of a comfort scent... something I could wear in a more casual way. Now you make me want to get my bottle out and spray some on (the black oud is fading and I had used a small sample of MPG Iris Bleu Gris on... but it's gone now too... so why not??!!! ).

About your last note - it's something I noticed too, but thought it was just a typo - but perhaps it was first written that way for Queen Roses and they didn't want to change it to be like the others?
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Mike, I had a theory, but of course it didn't last long and that was if the name of the fragrance started with Oud then it was spelled with an "O" and if it came at the end (example: Black Aoud), then it was spelled with an "A". As we all know, there must be another reason. The theory of the typo that just stuck is also a good one...take a look at the Montale fragrance that is named Sandalsliver. I am guessing that was a typo that stuck.
    Last edited by paintrman; 23rd March 2008 at 01:49 AM.

to be honest, it took my nose a hell of a long time to be able to strongly differentiate between most of the montale aouds - initially i found the medicinal note at the opening almost all-consuming. i think it was just continuous exposure that kind of desensitised me, eventually allowing me to get a grip on all of them properly. i find oud roses a little too rosey for me... that's a terrible description, but there's something about the aoud + roses combination in queen rose specifically that doesn't let me get comfortable wearing it. i don't think it's neccessarily a floral thing - fdm and things like oliban i love.

mike, have you tested out aoud velvet yet? it's taken me a while, but this has become perhaps equal favorite with black aoud and aoud lime to me. i've got small decants of each, but would ultimately like to buy a small bottle of each... that's how highly i rate them.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I remember briefly sampling this one, last year in Paris. However, I can't remember why I never bothered getting a sample... I guess I'll have to re-investigate this one in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In addition, why does Montale call this Oud Queen Roses, but then uses the other way to spell it A-O-U-D in Black Aoud and Aoud Lime? Is Montale implying that aoud and oud are different ingredients?
    Nah, whether 'a' is included in 'oud' shouldn't imply anything about the type of oud used (only in the description / note pyramid).

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Mike, I had a theory, but of course it didn't last long and that was if the name of the fragrance started with Oud then it was spelled with an "O" and if it came at the end (example: Black Aoud), then it was spelled with an "A". As we all know, there must be another reason. The theory of the typo that just stuck is also a good one...take a look at the Montale fragrance that is named Sandalsliver. I am guessing that was a typo that stuck.
    Yeah, but the most annoying Montale typo (for me) is Aoud Roses Petals - two plurals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    to be honest, it took my nose a hell of a long time to be able to strongly differentiate between most of the montale aouds - initially i found the medicinal note at the opening almost all-consuming. i think it was just continuous exposure that kind of desensitised me, eventually allowing me to get a grip on all of them properly. i find oud roses a little too rosey for me... that's a terrible description, but there's something about the aoud + roses combination in queen rose specifically that doesn't let me get comfortable wearing it. i don't think it's neccessarily a floral thing - fdm and things like oliban i love.

mike, have you tested out aoud velvet yet? it's taken me a while, but this has become perhaps equal favorite with black aoud and aoud lime to me. i've got small decants of each, but would ultimately like to buy a small bottle of each... that's how highly i rate them.
    I think that may have been why I never took to Aoud Queen Roses - I found Aoud Flowers far more satisfying. As for Aoud Velvet, I love the opening but absolutely hated the powdery drydown. It also morphed into something too old-fashioned and feminine for my tastes.
    Last edited by Trebor; 23rd March 2008 at 12:16 PM.

I have a sample vial of Oud Queen Roses. To me it is sweet roses, almost too much, but the first time I wore it I used too much. You are right about the Oud note being toned down in the fragrance compared to the rest of Montale's offerings. Black Aoud is one of my favorites, but when I am in a mood for a sweeter rose scent, I use Oud Queen Roses.

At first when I opened my sample vial, I was taken back by the absolute punch of the roses. As for the Hibiscus notes, I detect them, but to me they seem to be rather light on my skin. My sample came with my last order from Montale in Paris, I think the sample might be a tad more concentrated than the EDP. Anyway, I do enjoy Oud Queen Roses. My wife does also, she tried it and it smells just incredible on her.

In summary, I like the fragrance and I am considering purchasing it with my next order form Montale.
    Last edited by greendragon; 23rd March 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I love it and wear it more than Roses Petals. It is a big loud mid-range rose scent without some of the very bright high register and very deep darker factors in some of the montales. I think it works particularly well on a man.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Aoud Damascus is another rose-prominent aoud/oud, and it's a favorite of mine (haven't smelled OQR, however).

I hadn't gotten around to trying my Oud Queen Roses sample yet (which I received a few weeks ago) - so I couldn't procrastinate any longer now. I happen to have spent many of my growing up years in the Peruvian amazon where we were also surrounded by hibiscus plants so I'm familiar with tropical lushness (and humidity!)

I guess I should let it dry down some more but already, I think it comes across as not quite as strong a scent as BA. I also think the oud seems less medicinal (or "bromide"-ish). Could it be that AOUD is the more medicinal (bromide-ish) type?? The rose itself seems to be of a different variety - which I seem to recognize from SL's Sa Majeste La Rose. I can't say I recognize the hibiscus yet but it could be that it smooths out the rough edges - or maybe it will become more prominent later on???

I'm currently thinking my first Montale might be Aoud Lime ... which I can layer with Sa Majeste La Rose!

Blog Entries

I've just bought a FB, and worn it a couple of times, however, i cannot help but compare it with (imo) the superior Oud Ispahan. The Montale for me, has an almost herbal, medicinal, even a bitter opening, that i am not too keen on. It is definitely more complex in it's development, and composition, than the simpler, more linear Oud Ispahan.

I'm not too upset, as i bought it to sell as decants, and so it's not really a wasted blind buy, and i really do want to compare more of those rose/ oud combos, because i find i love it, and not just the smell, it hits some receptor in my brain, and provokes a very emotional response. The Oud Ispahan does that, the Montale does not. I got several Montale samples with my order, so i'll try those, and see how I feel

It's a nice scent, but hardly ever wear it.