Code of Conduct

Default They said Creed SIlver Mountain Water smells... bad!?

Alright, I've been wearing this cologne for about a year now, and I thought I was the man, as I would switch between SMW and MI, and I couldn't stop smelling myself. But now someone just commented to me that I "reek." WTF?

I only spray once, and I do it from about 12 inches away.

Is SMW and MI really scents that smell good, or is it that they smell good "in theory?"

I mean, there are alot of scents on here that are said to need a more sophisticated sense to understand. Are SMW and MI in that category? Because, no offense, I don't want ANYTHING to do with ANY colognes in that category any more. Whenever I wear them, I get repulsive glances from others, and have concluded that while I want to not wear run-of-the-mill Aqua di Gio like scents, I also don't want to go to the other extreme and stink up the place.

WTF?

Default Re: They said Creed SIlver Mountain Water smells... bad!?

Maybe something to do with your skin chemistry making them go rancid on you - also are you sure your not wearing ebay fakes??

Just because someone doesn't like your favourite scent doesn't mean it sucks, it only means they don't like it. The real question is, do you like how you smell? If not, then change. If you think you might have a bad bottle, then get a new one. Otherwise, don't forget that people have different tastes; not everyone is going to like what you like.

imo, i dont like mi at all...i think its rather cloying. I have never smelled silver mont. water but my advice is to wear those when you want to smell them privately and if you are self-conscious[sic], then buy something that you know will not be offensive to wear around other people. though i am a proponent of "wear what you like", i am also a proponent of not pissing people off that i have to see everyday in class or the office. Let me put it another way...lets say i have a frag that i adore, but the girl who i want to date cant stand to be within an inch of it....guess what, im not going to wear it around HER, but when she isnt around, i will!

p.s. remember that a big price tag does not always mean quality either. I would rather a miller lite anyday, than drink chimay...but thats just me....go ahead guys, now you can pull the quote...."fragrance is like beer"
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Maybe the juice is starting to go bad. Or maybe the person who complained was a maniac. As already mentioned, it's what your own nose thinks that is important.

"It's Creed so it must be good. Also because I pay big heap money for it."

Uhm, nope. Some people may like it, some people might not.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

ive actually got to add an additional comment here - theres almost no way anyone could possibly think either of these two smell "bad". They are so "focus group" that its pretty much impossible. They could be not someones cup of tea... like they personally wouldn't wear it, but some things are just universally not bad and that is the smell of SMW and MI. Use your own brain: MI, a fresh zesty citrusy slightly fruity and aquatic fragrance in a base of light musks and warm amber and woods. think about that for a second. it cant smell "bad" to anyone except maybe an alien. Please, no hater comments on this, im not saying everyone should wear it (its not my cup of tea either) but its definatley not something that smells "bad". dumps left in the toilet smell "bad", MI does not.

there must be something wrong with your skin chemistry or your bottles are fakes/gone bad/somethingelsewrongwiththem - theres no other explanation that an entire office of people are repulsed by a pleasant citrus fruity smell except that maybe theyre all aliens

then you have a bigger problem!

I know that I am in the minority, but I have worn both enought to say that I really dislike both MI and SMW. I really cant stand either of them. I am not a Creed hater, but I include both of those fragrances in my small group of fragrances that I just cannot stand. I avoid melon notes as a rule, and the note in MI is just ghastly in my opinion. SMW is almost good, but there is some chemical sweetness that just makes me gag. Sorry to all who love these.
    But who cares what I think or "people" in general think. Do you like MI and SMW? If so, wear them proudly and enjoy them yourself. I assume that not everyone likes all of the weird fragrances I like.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I know that I am in the minority, but I have worn both enought to say that I really dislike both MI and SMW. I really cant stand either of them. I am not a Creed hater, but I include both of those fragrances in my small group of fragrances that I just cannot stand. I avoid melon notes as a rule, and the note in MI is just ghastly in my opinion. SMW is almost good, but there is some chemical sweetness that just makes me gag. Sorry to all who love these.
    But who cares what I think or "people" in general think. Do you like MI and SMW? If so, wear them proudly and enjoy them yourself. I assume that not everyone likes all of the weird fragrances I like.

-Slim
    I respect your opinion slim, and although I would probably wear them more readily than you they are also not my first choice or second or third (you get the picture)

but do you believe it is realistic that an entire office be giving this chap stares of repulsion over such a scent ? Joellark if I had either of these bottles id make you some samples and send them to you so you could compare them to your juice. There has to be more to this story than first appears, something must be wrong with your juice...

edit: I just don't want to see this fellow turned off of niche perfumes of creed perfumes or just fragrance in general over something that could be not even what it appears!
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 23rd March 2008 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joellark View Post
    But now someone just commented to me that I "reek." WTF?
    It was probably one of the many Creed bashers on Basenotes with nothing better to do.

But seriously, who cares as long as you like it? Ask people you can trust for their opinion of your scent and what that particular scent "communicates" to them.

i would say....its either your extrme skin chemistry or just spoiled/rotten/fraud versions of the fragrance.

i will honestly say(not to say that this is your problem), but almost none of the Creeds could be worn without extremely clean skin....the cumin note will multiply your body's "muskyness" to the extreme.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    It was probably one of the many Creed bashers on Basenotes with nothing better to do.
    That's uncalled for. Is being low like this what you're about? Is this you? This what discourse is for you? This how you think it's decent to talk to people? This you?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    That's uncalled for. Is being low like this what you're about? Is this you? This what discourse is for you? This how you think it's decent to talk to people? This you?
    I have to back the Dust-man up here. Sampler, there is nothing wrong with being a creed fanatic but that lude comment was over-the-top. We get it, you love Creed but lets not get crazy and start burning people's houses down because they don't have 150 creed bottles in there.

Yeah your MI and SMW must be bad.....so make sure to send them to me :-) I'm only half kidding.........
    Last edited by Maz24; 23rd March 2008 at 07:35 AM.

SMW and MI are both scents that I would call pretty safe-- yet also incredibly good IMO.

Maybe your feet smelled bad that particular day or you ate some garlic. Just kidding. There are some people out there who just don't like the smell of any colognes/perfumes. Maybe your juice is going bad, or something. I wouldn't give up on SMW and MI-- I've had tons of compliments on both-- and one of the people who loved both of them is a woman who once told me that she doesn't like colognes.

I'm also a person who doesn't want to wear fragrances that "reek", so I'm judicious with some of my faves like Kouros, SMN Nostalgia, Messe de Minuit, etc. That being said, I think MI and SMW are two scents I can't imagine anyone hating.

Quote Originally Posted by joellark View Post
    Alright, I've been wearing this cologne for about a year now, and I thought I was the man, as I would switch between SMW and MI, and I couldn't stop smelling myself. But now someone just commented to me that I "reek." WTF?..WTF?
    That someone could have been me! I can only talk about SMW though, which I have owned for two years but don't see myself wearing much in future summers. It can smell heavenly for two days in a row, and the third day I may regret having put it on. It's not in my face, or anything, but it can suddenly just appear to be too much, and then is not as clean as it normally seems to be. A very odd experience. It speaks for the quality of this fragrance, that one spritz or two max. can develop considerable sillage. And it's still noticeable at the end of the day. SMW also has the characteristic Creed dry-down, and unfortunately I am getting a bit tired of it. It can be fatal when you fall out of love with the particular basnotes mix of any house. I have developed a slight aversion against Guerlains vanilla note over time. I hope that does not grow bevause it could mean that I must say good bye to more than just one bottle in the near future.
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd March 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have a friend who just *reeks* of unwashed clothes, unwashed hair, body odour and cooking - his t-shirts are so grease and dirt laden that they're *see-through*. And no matter what perfume I wear he *always* says "yuck! you smell like bug spray!"

Some people just don't like perfume.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I really love SMW and MI and agree that they are both safe, good scents. You probably have bad bottles. Maybe go to a reputable retailer and try some on your skin and compare them to what you have : )
    Last edited by leor_77; 23rd March 2008 at 04:44 PM.

To the OP - where are you located ?

If you are in Toronto area I can give you decant for free from my SMW that I bought from authorized retailer
    Last edited by achanna; 23rd March 2008 at 05:03 PM.
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

I've found SMW to be the most popular Creed scent amongst my colleagues - I'm a merchandising consultant in the luxury goods world. Its take on hygienic black current tea can't be mistaken for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

...that had to leave a mark.

1. Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinions.
    2. However, if you're so unsure, then you might want to check your bottle of SMW against others as other people have mentioned

Basenotes Plus

My SMW turned after a while, it started smelling overly sweet and nowhere near as amazing at it did when my bottle was new. MI is one that I always get positive comments on, possibly more than any other fragrance I own. Both are sterling scents.

If it's only been one person commenting on it then I wouldn't listen, if you've been wearing it for a year then I think someone would have picked up on it sooner if it smelled bad on you. Wear what you enjoy wearing.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wow. Creed discussions do seem to get testy at times.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post

-Slim
    I agree! These are 2 of a group of Creeds that have something in them that, to my nose, completely overwhelms any more subtle notes: it's SO strong. I can just about detect the differences, but they are almost completely sublimated under this other note. The same is true of GIT,Tabarome and a couple of the others which all have this identical note. I can just about take Himalaya, even though it has some of this base I dislike so much.

But there are others that don't have this note at all, my favourite being Epicea.. I have about a dozen Creeds now, I'm not someone who just doesn't like Creed...
    Last edited by alpine; 23rd March 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I agree! These are 2 of a group of Creeds that have something in them that, to my nose, completely overwhelms any more subtle notes: it's SO strong. I can just about detect the differences, but they are almost completely sublimated under this other note. The same is true of GIT,Tabarome and a couple of the others which all have this identical note.
    I think the "Creed note" is Amber - according to other threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I think the "Creed note" is Amber - according to other threads...
    I don't think so, amber is a warm and sweetish note as I understand it, this is a sort of acidic smell. I also thought at one time it was ambergris, but again there are Creeds with what is reckoned to be an Ambergris base which I have no problem with.