Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Florida Water or 4711 - What's your pleasure?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Florida Water

3 18.75%

13 81.25%
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Florida Water or 4711 - What's your pleasure?

Both Florida Water and 4711 have been around for ever and were created for more medicinal purposes and mental well being rather than just an evening of fine dining or a day at the office.

So I'm curious which one you prefer?

I'm more of a Florida Water guy myself. 4711 seems to *cause* headaches for me, while FW seems to remedy them. Plus I like the smell better!

Default Re: Florida Water or 4711 - What's your pleasure?

4711 is a great hot weather scent, I love splashing some on after I get out of the shower in the summertime. My great grandmother used to sprinkle some 4711 on the bed linens when she changed them.

Perhaps it's a good memory to me, but I still like the fragrance and think it will be around a long time into the future.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    My great grandmother used to sprinkle some 4711 on the bed linens when she changed them.
    Florida Water is fine, and I appreciate its historicity, but I don't really like clove that much.

I love using 4711 as a linen spray, too.

But what about other "cologne waters"? Guerlain Imperiale or Eau du Coq? Roger & Gallet? Acqua di Parma? Atkinson's? Floris Number 127? Caswell-Massey Number 6? What do you think of those? I have not had an opportunity to sample any of them except Imperiale (lovely) and Acqua di Parma (wonderful).

Post Thanks / Like

4711 works for me. Wish it lasted longer, though.

Post Thanks / Like

"4711" is simple and beautiful. That's not a very frequent combination. It lasts just one hour on my skin but it cheers me up every time and that's not so easy (look at my username). As far as I am concerned it deserves nickname "The miracle water" (Aqua Mirabilis).
    And what about the history of this scent? It's launched 216 years ago and the story about its origin is just fantastic (with a Carthusian monk and the secret formula). It "created" the term "cologne" (Kölnisch Wasser - Cologne Water). Goethe loved it and used it. Richard Wagner as well.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Florida Water. Much better for voodoo rituals too!

Post Thanks / Like

4711 being no more than a pale imitation of Farina Gegenüber Eau de Cologne, I would choose the latter - or Guerlain's Imperiale, R&G JMF etc pp. The Florida I once bought at a Chinese store was putrid, it would be nice to try the genuine article, though clove is a frequent fragrane killer for me (not if it is as natural and straighforward as in Royall Spyce though, which is wonderful).

@peevish_yolk: perhaps Olivier Creed got the inspiration for his marketing from 4711, unquestionably the masters of PR schlock. 4711 was called Farina until 1875, when German trademark laws made that illegal. It was a cheap copy of the high quality Farina EdCs launched by a speculator and conman in the early 1800s and sucessfully turned to mass production at the turn of the 19th/20th century, all but obliterating the original Farina name in the public consciousness. What Goethe and other members of the elite bought was the original Farina Gegenüber or Farina am Dom EdCs, not what later became 4711. More here, if you read German:
    http://www.eau-de-cologne.com/
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    perhaps Olivier Creed got the inspiration for his marketing from 4711, unquestionably the masters of PR schlock. 4711 was called Farina until 1875, when German trademark laws made that illegal. It was a cheap copy of the high quality Farina EdCs launched by a speculator and conman in the early 1800s and sucessfully turned to mass production at the turn of the 19th/20th century, all but obliterating the original Farina name in the public consciousness. What Goethe and other members of the elite bought was the original Farina Gegenüber or Farina am Dom EdCs, not what later became 4711.
    Thank you, the_good_life, for these informations. I really didn't know all that. I was apparently a "victim" of the propaganda.
    Btw, I regularly get "4711" deo and shower gel (which I really like) from my aunt from Germany (Bremen).
    Post Scriptum: This is one more example that I learnt something new thanks to Basenote(rs).
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    Thank you, the_good_life, for these informations. I really didn't know all that. I was apparently a "victim" of the propaganda.
    Btw, I regularly get "4711" deo and shower gel (which I really like) from my aunt from Germany (Bremen).
    Post Scriptum: This is one more example that I learnt something new thanks to Basenote(rs).
    Of course there's nothing wrong with liking 4711 - but do try Roger & Gallet's "Jean Marie Farina" if you can, it is not overly expensive and fairly available in Europe and, IMHO, way superior.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Florida Water smells pleasant enough but I have a negative association with it, so I have to go with 4711
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I've never tried Florida Water, but I find 4711 to be vile. Maybe, in a pinch, as a bar of soap, but it's plain junk.

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post
    Florida Water smells pleasant enough but I have a negative association with it
    Is it the zombie voodoo curse thing?

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it depends on which brand of Florida Water you're talking about. The name itself refers to water that smells like flowers. I have smelled everything from old cut grass to divine, exotic jasmines that came in a bottle (or jar) that said "Florida Water" on the label. As a guarantee, I prefer 4711. But there are definitely times when a well constructed Florida Water surpasses it. It would be great for a well respected house to research FW history and develop a great frag that could be used a as benchmark for the name; much like what happened for Muelhens and 4711.
    Last edited by argogos; 25th March 2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, being a sixth generation Floridian and I've never smelled Florida Water. Use to use 4711 a long time ago as a teenager and I remember it as being nice.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Florida Water doesn't refer to the state of Florida, so you may have missed it. I'm from Tampa originally and I did come across it in bodegas a lot. There were times when I'd visit some houses and the scent was all over the place. Those were typically traditional, very religious Cuban or Caribbean homes. It was used to "clean" the air both literally and figuratively. However, I think we can safely say these days that there is not much actual antiseptic value to it. As for it's effects on evil spirits...I generally like it, maybe they do too.
    Last edited by argogos; 25th March 2008 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried a Hoyt's Cologne or Kanaga Water?

Post Thanks / Like

typical ingredients
    Florida Water
    bergamot
    lavender
    lemon
    cloves
    cinnamon
    neroli
    jasmine
    musk
    rose water

Kananga Water:
    ylang ylang
    neroli
    rose
    bergamot
    civet

Eau de Cologne:
    bergamot
    lemon
    neroli
    lime
    petitgrain
    cedrat
    rosemary water
    My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

oooh. nice. Let's all mix one up.