Code of Conduct
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Question Guerlain's Vetiver.... more pepper please?

Fairly new to fragrances, but in the short time i've had an active interest i've settled into (most of the time) Guerlain's Vetiver for daytime, especially in the warmer months, and the wonderful incensey-ness CDG2man when it's a bit colder.

currently (despite the snow here in cambridge today!) i'm wearing the guerlain a lot, and I absolutely ADORE it - the very green opening is a fairly major departure for me, yet i can't seem to get enough of it. but something about it feels slightly lacking.... maybe it's not quite warm enough yet, i don't know - but i seem to be craving something with a touch more spice. nothing too overtly 'spicy' you understand - i'd like a bit more pepper, and perhaps a faint touch of ginger or cardamom?

so this is for all you experts out there: whilst maybe it's not possible, i'm wanting to find something as beautifully constructed as Vetiver, with the very clean, organic, herbal aesthetic - i think the notes I like are the corriander (and tarragon?) herbal accords, alongside the pepper/nutmeg, and the carnation, tobacco and of course the vetiver - but with more peppery spice, yet still quite clean?

hopefully that's not too much of a tall order!

(also: longevity on my skin can sometimes be a problem, it seems to practically drink the cdg2man and many others, but the Vetiver lasts beautifully - i'd like something to match this!)

*awaits to be told to stop wasting people's time with unreasonable requests*

Default Re: Guerlain's Vetiver.... more pepper please?

I don't know of anything that will fit your description. Guerlain Vetiver is about as good as it
    gets in this genre. My most often worn scent.

I have Vetiver de Puig and Horizon. Horizon seems like a stronger version of VdP, but it has a somewhat synthetic quality, possibly because it is so strong. There is plenty of pepper in Horizon, that's for sure, though I think of it as a celery-pepper combination, with that great smokiness. You can get it at a good price on ebay usually.

Cool Re: Guerlain's Vetiver.... more pepper please?

Not a vetiver, but contains warmth---and some notes you've mentioned;
    Jean Patou PH--and good luck finding it at a reasonable price on the net.

Second, there's the (now also sadly discontinued ) Signature by St. Dupont, a very good Oriental with a minimum of sweetness because it's blalanced by---pepper!
    Trust me, it'll open your sinuses. You may want to give this one a sniff during the winter months.

BTW, have you explored the Penhaligon line?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Not to paraphrase Burr, who's become my fragrance demon, but I'll do it anyway: I don't care for the scent of vetiver when it is dominant. It's just too strong for me. I bought Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, for kicks, and it is quite strong -- but not peppery, which is nice, because I don't like peppery. Between it and the Guerlain, well, I just don't know. I've never owned Guerlain but have sampled it a number of times -- same reaction. Personal taste, I guess.

Having said THAT, I think it is great as an undertone. I got a sampler of TDC's Sel d. Vetiver and really like it -- it's a solid fresh scent that feels like summer but has a subtle undertone of earth, which I think is the vetiver going on. Not citrusy. The opening is a bit astringent, although not in a Cologne way, and I'm not sure that I like it enough to buy it.

(Oddly, I also had samples for TDC's Osmanthus and CdG's 888. I really, really, really loved osmanthus -- so subtle and soft, so elegant, but I fear that it lasts very little. My wife was immediately taken by 888 and dismissed osmanthus, on a man, anyway, out of hand. Oh, well.)

well, Fragonard's vetyver has more pepper, but It lacks the elegance of guerlain.

While not exactly what you describe, it may be what you are seeking: I recommend you at least try Trumper's Eucris. It has a beautiful balance of corriander, cumin, some distant blackcurrant, wonderful florals in the heart (jasmine, muguet) and a fabulous base of sandalwood and moss. To my mind, it has perfect silage and amazing longevity.
    Shoot me a PM if you want a sample - (assuming you are in Cambridge UK).
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Well, itsthepens, I just happened to have tried 30+ vetiver scents already two years ago, and there are a few candidates in your general ballpark. My #1 recommendation for you is Parfum de Nicolai's Vetyver. Here is my note on this:

Parfums de Nicolai Vetyver EDT is a very interesting vetiver scent. Indeed, the vetiver label is a bit misleading, since on initial application the predominant notes are citrus (lemon) and spice (cumin and black pepper). Indeed, it is surprising just how spicy this is for a vetiver scent. There is also some clove and coriander, according to beautyhabit.com, along with ylang-ylang and jasmine flowers, “smoothed out with the balsamic and seductive scent of Tonka Bean Absolute.” It is very masculine, very spicy, though very light on the actual vetiver. The quality is undeniable, but for vetiver lovers there are many more stout versions of this fine root.

I have also appreciated a good deal of black pepper in Creed's Original Vetiver, though it is not very spicy. More soapy to me than anything. Try Nicolai's Vetyver!Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    i seem to be craving something with a touch more spice. nothing too overtly 'spicy' you understand - i'd like a bit more pepper, and perhaps a faint touch of ginger or cardamom?
    i'm wanting to find something as beautifully constructed as Vetiver, with the very clean, organic, herbal aesthetic - i think the notes I like are the corriander (and tarragon?) herbal accords, alongside the pepper/nutmeg, and the carnation, tobacco and of course the vetiver - but with more peppery spice, yet still quite clean?
    I enjoy subtly spicy fragrances, including Guerlain Vetiver. Not ones that smell like an Indian curry, but rather have a bit of nose tingling sharpness / prickliness to lend an edge of sophistication to a fresh base. Some others you may enjoy, which have some of the spices you mention are:

Dunhill Edition (clove, nutmeg on a sandalwood base, very aromatic)
    Guerlain Heritage (pepper on a woody oriental base)
    Creed Vetiver 1948 (vetiver and ginger, clean and composed, classy)
    Creed Tabarome Millesime (ginger and green tobacco)
    Bvlgari PH (peppery sharpness with citrus and black tea)

Ged
    --------------------------------------
    Oh and Live Jazz is the epitome of coriander (cilantro) - the leaf not the seed. Perfect for summer.
    Last edited by Ged; 24th March 2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Guerlain Vetiver Extreme will probably fit what you are looking for. It is basically the same as Vetiver but with more spice: tarragon, etc. I also agree with the recommendation of Vetiver Extraordinaire. It is a great fragrance.

Floris' Vetiver satisfies on many levels. Extremely well constructed. No pepper to mention, but spicy, rich, hint of soap, and warm.
    http://www.liveinfo.co.uk/versions/e...x?itemID=SPG83

best Vetivers:
    -Guerlain's
    -Frederic Malle's
    -Creed's
    -Hermeesence

Guerlain Vetiver is very simmilar to Vetiver Tonka. Vetiver Tonka is sweet (skin sweet) vetiver.
    Guerlain's Vetiver is smoky, tobacco vetiver. It's a very potent, long lasting, scent with great sillage.

I don't like Pd Nicolai Vetiver, Fragonard's Vetiver - very cologny.

You could try Givenchy Vetiver. This one, the same as Guerlain's, is an old-scool vetiver.

It's very interesting how would Sycomore smell
    Last edited by DreamerII; 24th March 2008 at 08:15 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    so this is for all you experts out there: whilst maybe it's not possible, i'm wanting to find something as beautifully constructed as Vetiver, with the very clean, organic, herbal aesthetic - i think the notes I like are the corriander (and tarragon?) herbal accords, alongside the pepper/nutmeg, and the carnation, tobacco and of course the vetiver - but with more peppery spice, yet still quite clean?
    Reading your request above, I almost feel like you're describing many fragrances in the Lorenzo Villoresi line. Have you tried any?

I highly recommend:

Vetiver
    Spezie
    Piper Nigrum

Most people have a problem with LV scents because they feature such strong herbal/aromatic top notes that sometimes it can be 'too much' but seeing as you're craving this, I think you should give these a whirl.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

These are the best vetiver scents, I've tried and own most + why they are special.

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - earthy, dry, very green, and woody. Roots pulled out of earth.
    Vetiver 46, Le Labo - vetiver incense - very penetrating. A sig scent.
    Original Vetiver - green, clean and sparkling - will reset any bad mood to a good one.
    Carlo Corinto Vetiver - Very green cypress/vetiver - a foresty and woodland vetiver.
    Givenchy Vetiver - vetiver oil + coriander for lift / lightness - perfect classic reissue.
    Baie de Genievrie - vetiver + cinnamon + juniper in equal measure for a great blend.
    Bourbon Vetiver, Miller Harris - deep vetiver + oak moss in bold parfum strength
    Guerlain Vetiver - sweet simple vetiver + tobacco. Old world, but nice.
    Vetiveru, CdG - light splash eau d cologne vetiver.
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - green, earthy but very traditional vetiver.
    Le Vetiver, Lubin - green vetiver opening mixes w/ smoke and wood - strange but compelling?
    Sel d' Vetiver - salty, tart vetiver with light sunshine amongst the greens - good summer choice.

did I leave any great vetivers out?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 9th April 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    These are the best vetiver scents, I've tried and own most + why they are special.

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - earthy, dry, very green, and woody. Roots pulled out of earth.
    Vetiver 46, Le Labo - vetiver incense - very penetrating. A sig scent.
    Original Vetiver - green, clean and sparkling - will reset any bad mood to a good one.
    Carlo Corinto Vetiver - Very green cypress/vetiver - a foresty and woodland vetiver.
    Givenchy Vetiver - vetiver oil + coriander for lift / lightness - perfect classic reissue.
    Baie de Genievrie - vetiver + cinnamon + juniper in equal measure for a great blend.
    Bourbon Vetiver, Miller Harris - deep vetiver + oak moss in bold parfum strength
    Guerlain Vetiver - sweet simple vetiver + tobacco. Old world, but nice.
    Vetiveru, CdG - light splash eau d cologne vetiver.
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - green, earthy but very traditional vetiver.
    Le Vetiver, Lubin - green vetiver opening mixes w/ smoke and wood - strange but compelling?
    Sel d' Vetiver - salty, tart vetiver with light sunshine amongst the greens - good summer choice.

You could add Sycomore, but I wouldn't. I have 5ml in my house and it's extremely watered down. Your list is complete with very nice comments. The only one that works with my skin type is-strange but compelling Le Vetiver by Lubin. I do think everyone on this list deserves a sniff though.

Creed Vetiver 1948 has cedar and ginger and is very dry and unmistakenly masculine. It is my favorite scent for the workplace.

and what about Annick Goutal's Vetiver? a salty,very salty one; strange but very well made

the Givenchy's which was recently re-issued is also worth a try: it's smoky and has a roasted note that reminds me of Hermessence Vetiver Tonka (with a greater longevity) and shares notes with the drydown of Terre d'Hermes; it's also reminescent of the 1980's vintage formulation of Guerlain's Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Etro has a very fine vetiver.
    Carven's 2006 re-issued Vetiver is good, but not in the same league
    as Guerlain's.

Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is very good, and less about citrus than about wood/spice.
    Nice.

The original Guerlain Vetiver is still my favorite one, though Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire
    is wonderful too.

MPG Racine should not be overlooked.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 9th April 2008 at 08:14 AM.

I think you might like what I'm wearing today by the description you've given. Personally I don't think that GV needs anymore pepper, but hey, everything smells different on different skins.

It's not a vetiver based fragrance but I think you might like Penhaligon's Castile.