Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CB I Hate pefumes

found myself dwelling on luckyscent off late and its got me totally mesmerised...im gonna lay my hands on some CDG..such as 2MAN, avignon, kyoto, and the sherbet series...wht caught my attention while surfing was CB perfumes...could anyone shed light on this house...any comments/must buys? ...i was kinda intrigued by the rain drop accord on one of their lines...well, will wait to hear from you folks...
    Last edited by jenson; 24th March 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CB I Hate pefumes

CB I Hate Perfume is a quirky, odd and different house. Very CdG-ish. Unfortunatley, I feel along with the quirky, they don't have the weird that gives CdG an allure, i've been wanting to try their fragrances, but all the time, something ends up taking priority!
    I've got a scary feeling, that despite the allure of the fancy descriptions, the interesting concepts and the relatively new ideas about perfume, that I will find any of them wearable.

I've been meaning to explore the house further, but I've been putting it off. They sound great by description, but they're water based perfumes, not alcohol. Also, majority of them lack in the longevity and sillage department.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 24th March 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got three water perfume decants:1966 At The Beach, Black March, and Patchouli Empire. Like you I was intrigued by the descriptions.
    The only one I've taken out for a test drive is the 1966 At The Beach.
    I was born and raised in South Florida during the 60's and the idea that CB could recreate the Coppertone scent had me intrigued.
    Well on my first wear of this I definitely have to say he hit that note right on the head. The coppertone note took me right back to a sun-baked beach with a briny salty beach tone under the top notes.
    On my skin I got a decent amount of sillage and it lasted for 8-10 hours which was a worry I had with the idea of these water perfumes.
    So my sum up is based on one scent and it is that it delivers what is described and creates a unique experience.
    I'd be interested to hear what your experience is with whatever you get from them.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Having tested most of CB water perfumes, I'd say their descriptions on his website is spot on almost every time.
    The only scent which didn't quite live up to my expectations was Mr Hulot's Holidays.
    I think he is extremely good in making very realistic smells of unusual things which are hardly ever found in "ordinary" fragrances. My favourites are his "dirt" and "smoke" scents.
    I ended up buying full bottles of Black March, Wild Hunt and Eternal Return.

Black March = excellent realistic wet soil (his signature "dirt") + subtle white flowers. Very much the smell of the Spring. At first I worried there could be too much flowers, but now I think it is just alright. Not feminine.

Wild Hunt = earth of the forest floor (drying in the sunshine), dirt, mushrooms. Awesome!

Eternal Return = Wooden luxury yacht + light breeze from the shore. Lovely summery scent. It is not "oceanic" (no seaweed) and not "fresh aquatic". Just a tiny bit sweet. Unisex, but not feminine. Warm woody dry-down.

Also I highly recommend to try Burning Leaves - amazing smoke!

Must add: definitely all CB stuff is "try before you buy". No blind buys.

Cheers

P.S. By the way, I'm going to wear all these three frags... Wish me luck!
    Last edited by kdo; 24th March 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I've got three water perfume decants:1966 At The Beach, Black March, and Patchouli Empire. Like you I was intrigued by the descriptions.
    The only one I've taken out for a test drive is the 1966 At The Beach.
    I was born and raised in South Florida during the 60's and the idea that CB could recreate the Coppertone scent had me intrigued.
    Well on my first wear of this I definitely have to say he hit that note right on the head. The coppertone note took me right back to a sun-baked beach with a briny salty beach tone under the top notes.
    On my skin I got a decent amount of sillage and it lasted for 8-10 hours which was a worry I had with the idea of these water perfumes.
    So my sum up is based on one scent and it is that it delivers what is described and creates a unique experience.
    I'd be interested to hear what your experience is with whatever you get from them.
    sounds good! im not lookign to impress anyone...i definitely would like to have something which evokes certain memories and am happy if i can smell it on me for 6-10 hours...just want to make sure they deliver the goods as promised...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by kdo View Post
    Having tested most of CB water perfumes, I'd say their descriptions on his website is spot on almost every time.
    The only scent which didn't quite live up to my expectations was Mr Hulot's Holidays.
    I think he is extremely good in making very realistic smells of unusual things which are hardly ever found in "ordinary" fragrances. My favourites are his "dirt" and "smoke" scents.
    I ended up buying full bottles of Black March, Wild Hunt and Eternal Return.

Black March = excellent realistic wet soil (his signature "dirt") + subtle white flowers. Very much the smell of the Spring. At first I worried there could be too much flowers, but now I think it is just alright. Not feminine.

Wild Hunt = earth of the forest floor (drying in the sunshine), dirt, mushrooms. Awesome!

Eternal Return = Wooden luxery yaght + light breeze from the shore. Lovely summery scent. It is not "oceanic" (no seaweed) and not "fresh aquatic". Just a tiny bit sweet. Unisex, but not feminine. Warm woody dry-down.

Also I highly recommend to try Burning Leaves - amazing smoke!

Must add: definitely all CB stuff is "try before you buy". No blind buys.

Cheers
    wow...sounds good!!
    Last edited by jenson; 24th March 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others here, I too was sucked into this line by the interesting descriptions. I sought out the one place in Boston that sells a limitted selection of this line. I ended buying Mr. Hulot's Holiday. I really liked it. It reminded me of walking the beaches of Nantucket on foggy days......the ocean, sand, damp salt air, faint scent of the trees and grasses, worn sweatshirt....it brought me right back. Although I enjoyd the way the fragrances smelled, I was not sure I wanted to wear them, at least the ones I sampled (Burning Maple Leaves smelled just like that!....smoke!).....I got the ambiance spray. I will have to go to NYC in May for a conference and am planning to go to his shop on my off time to try the full line......looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josechan1 View Post
    Like the others here, I too was sucked into this line by the interesting descriptions. I sought out the one place in Boston that sells a limitted selection of this line. I ended buying Mr. Hulot's Holiday. I really liked it. It reminded me of walking the beaches of Nantucket on foggy days......the ocean, sand, damp salt air, faint scent of the trees and grasses, worn sweatshirt....it brought me right back. Although I enjoyd the way the fragrances smelled, I was not sure I wanted to wear them, at least the ones I sampled (Burning Maple Leaves smelled just like that!....smoke!).....I got the ambiance spray. I will have to go to NYC in May for a conference and am planning to go to his shop on my off time to try the full line......looking forward to it.
    Try out the accords in the Boutique, supposedly they're upscale Demeter fragrance library perfection (not a surprise, CB used to work for Demeter) The smoke and food accords sound divine

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Thanks Mike..inputs were really helpful. i think i have my answer, its not the line where you impress others, but neverthless it excellent for personal use..say for eg. idling at home or going for a trek or maybe reading a book...im really glad to know there are houses which does these kinda scents too...i think ill go ahead with the patchouli empire, In The Library, Just Breathe

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct jenson.

Also I forgot to add that Christopher Brosius (the CB stands for his initials) came out with a book about fragrance named: 'Scent:Mysteries of Perfume and the Smell of Happiness'

I haven't read it, but I'd love to grab a copy this summer - it would make a great summer reading book.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th March 2008 at 08:54 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

For those on a budget, Cuba Black has a very realistic smell of ashes, with just a touch of a fresh scent in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ...i think ill go ahead with the patchouli empire, In The Library, Just Breathe
    For the record, Just Breathe was one of the few that were different from what I expected. Though I still liked it.
    Strangely enough I didn't really get much tea or incense in there. For some reason it made me think of a small wooden boat peacefully floating in a park pond. I'd even call it a slightly fresh woody-aquatic. My problem was longevity and it was weak.
    I haven't tried In The Library.

Disclaimer: take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Would be interesting to read your opinion after you have tested your samples.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Library didn't impress me - it smelled slightly musty (which I 'got') but then quickly faded before I could get more scent associations with it. Perhaps ITL is one you have to really over apply to get the whole concept.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In the Library didn't impress me - it smelled slightly musty (which I 'got') but then quickly faded before I could get more scent associations with it. Perhaps ITL is one you have to really over apply to get the whole concept.

I own this one (blind buy).

To me it smells like an almost-clean vanilla popsicle stick wrapped in damp waxed paper wrapping. It doesn't smell at all like any book or library I've every experienced. I'd strongly recommend trying this one before you buy it.

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, thanks for the notes guys, seems will have to go the tradinational way of ordering samples first...

Well, I really enjoy Burning Leaves, and this and other recent CB threads inspired me to get out the credit card again. Also, I found that all the CB IHP decants are on sale at The Perfumed Court.
    So I ordered Black March, Russian Caravan Tea, Just Breathe, and The Fir Tree. I had to restrain myself from ordering more...Winter 1972, Ceaderwood Tea, and many more.

Any insights on the ones I did order?
    And curse you all for inspiring these purchases.

I am wearing Burning Leaves today, and have been for most of the last week. Really interesting and warm incense scent. I was afraid it might smell like liquid smoke, but the fir/cedar incense is prominent, and the result is much more subtle and refined than I had expected.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    So I ordered Black March, Russian Caravan Tea, Just Breathe, and The Fir Tree. I had to restrain myself from ordering more...Winter 1972, Ceaderwood Tea, and many more.

Any insights on the ones I did order?
    I think you will love Black March. I had to over apply it (10 sprays atleast) but I found that I went through my decant very quickly. After a stressful day at work, I found myself reaching for it, when I slipped into my pajamas. It made me feel like a kid (backyard, sun going down...the water hose in the yard making mud out of the dirt...me with my fingers in the mud). Just like Burning Leaves, I could easily own a whole bottle of Black March.

I haven't smelled the other 3. The Fir Tree intrigues me. Please post your thoughts or a seperate review thread when you try it.

I have been meaning to buy some of those discounted decants from TPC also - but I am so overloaded with samples now.

-- Jack Kerouac

...and here it's me again - the ignorant fragrance newbie, reviewing CB's masterpieces:

Fir Tree
    Just a linear single-note scent. For the lack of better words to describe it, I'll say that to my nose it smells very "concentrated", almost chemical. Maybe it tries to recreate the smell of a certain species of the Fir tree, I don't know... but The Fir-trees I've known do smell similar but not quite like this one. Though I can certainly recognize it as a "fir-tree kind of smell".

Winter 1972
    Opens and stays kind of ozonic (which I guess must represent the "snow"?)
    And yes, there is the smell of wet woolen mittens. Definitely there, realistic, and I don't like it. Never liked it. Then there is also "dirt" but it is slightly different from Black March. Here it is like dirt that just now have been cleared from all the snow and ice and not yet come back to life. So this fragrance pretty much delivers what it promises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Try out the accords in the Boutique, supposedly they're upscale Demeter fragrance library perfection (not a surprise, CB used to work for Demeter) The smoke and food accords sound divine
    As a follow-up to this post, and since there is currently an article posted on the basenotes homepage, I'll relate some details of my experience visiting CB I Hate Perfume.

In short, it was not very positive.

The shop was interesting and the assistants were friendly enough. I liked the big friendly dog that kept me company by my legs while I tested all the accords, as Vivek recommended, for about 3 quarters of an hour. It was interesting to watch the 2 assistants categorized and split up my 10 selections up among them to go off and make.

What I didn't like so much was that they wouldn't let me use their bathroom. They informed me, rather unsympathetically, that they didn't have a "public bathroom." I found that rather irritating since I had just ordered over $300.00 of their products. I let them know that I had trekked out to their shop in Brooklyn for an hour on the subway and 25 minute walk in the pouring rain from Boston via my conference in Manhattan. They were unmoved and instead gave me directions to a public bathroom back at the subway station. Well, I took one look at the pouring rain and my already soaked clothes and decided that I would just wait until they finished making my order. Now, maybe I'm just accustomed to having the SA at Barney's kiss my ass every time I go in there and buy a $100.00 bottle of perfume but I thought it was rather odd not to let a "customer" use the bathroom.....especially under those circumstances.

The other thing was that I did not get the sense that the assistants were "carefully mixing" my scents as Mr. Brosius' website states. While I sat in the shop trying not to pee my pants reading a book, the assistants mixed the scents while arguing about what music should be playing in the shop and rehashing their latest night out at the clubs which made me think that there was nothing "careful" about what they were doing.

The experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I put my whole order into a desk drawer when I got back home and didn't try the scents for a couple of months to get over my unpleasant experience there. Well, when I finally felt that my mind was open, I took out the bottles and tried them. Unfortunately my concerns were confirmed as over half of the scents weren't like the testers I tried in the shop. 3 smelled like nothing at all, 4 were remotely like the testers, 3 smelled exactly like the testers. Out of the 3 good ones, they are really great and I wear them all the time. The rest I just ignore.

This is one of those product lines that you really need to try before you buy and not go by the nice lyrical descriptions. The quality seems to be very hit or miss depending on what kind of a day the staff is having.

But this was just my personal experience and I encourage everyone to try for yourselves.

Regards,

J