Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Givenchy kicks rears

I only have experience with Gentleman and Pour Homme Red Label. Everything I wanted to say about Gentleman has already been said by DustB and I'll just say.. he's damn right

PH Red Label is nothing special, it's just your "safe" everyday use citrus-ginger ale-fresh cologne that can't offend anyone even if it tried to.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Well done Chris!
    INSENSÉ is my favorite from this house! I LOVE IT!! My thoughts truly echo your sentiments about this elixir.
    I too am in love with XERYUS. I find it interesting that a powerhouse fragrance from the 80's manages to still smell modern in todays time.
    I like GENTLEMAN a lot... but strongly prefer Bond's copy, H.O.T Always, which is even heavier on the Cinnamon, a tad bit more patchouli (my favorite note) and longer lasting.
    I haven't tried VETYVER but have read a lot about it. I'm starting to get into vetivers lately... so this really interests me.

I'm glad Givenchy is re-issuing some of their discontinued classics with their Les Mythiques line.
    http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/fragr...3_112_626.html
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 30th March 2008 at 04:31 AM.

Question Re: Givenchy kicks rears

Today I bougt a bottle Monsieur de Givenchy.At home I found out that I bougt a bottle of their Mythical serie.Is this scent reformulated or is this still the same juice like in the old bottle?On their website is this the only Monsieur still available.It smell's very good,that's for sure,but I never smelled this scent in the old package,so i like to know if they changed something more then just the bottle...........

Sniff, for me I think the juice is the same or pretty much the same. I'd say it's the same right off, because Givenchy never stopped making Monsieur and thus never "re-introduced" it in the new serie bottles. So I strongly doubt there's any difference. However, I'm just a consumer and there was a post here in which someone mentioned this serie line had had tweaks done to use contemporary ingredients or something. I don't recall the post so DO NOT take my memory of it for truth, and don't necessarily take the post itself for truth either. It could be wrong or could be referring to other parts of the serie, which includes several women's scents.

That's the only hint I've encountered of a difference in the juices and it is a slight hint and a slight possibility. When I smelled the Monsieur in a serie bottle at the store it smelled the same to me. That was only a wrist test though.

If you remain in doubt or remain concerned I'm sure online discount houses are still selling the old style bottles of the stuff, and probably pretty cheap.

My gut says to me you have very little to worry about. If anyone else has firmer information I certainly hope he/she/they post it here to help both of us.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Givenchy made Michael Kors for Men for MK. MKfM is an excellent scent and one of my favorite modern tobacco fragrances...

Hate to say it, but I find most Givenchy scents inferior and lackluster when compared to other houses, namely YSL, Chanel and L'Occitane. The only one that truly rises above is Gentlemen. Everything else is mediocre to gag-inducing.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Hate to say it, but I find most Givenchy scents inferior and lackluster when compared to other houses, namely YSL, Chanel and L'Occitane. The only one that truly rises above is Gentlemen. Everything else is mediocre to gag-inducing.
    Bring on the disagreement! Part of what thinking is all about.

YSL and Chanel sure make great stuff, but I sure disagree about the L'Occitane.
    --Chris

Great thread you have started Dust ... Im certain that if i went on a blind buying binge , the Givenchy one's I have tagged wouldn't let me down .. !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thank you DustB, this has now sparked a massive interest in Givenchy for me!

Basenotes Plus

a bottle of Givenchy Vetyver is on my list now.

learned something tonight about Vetiver. According to Burr's new book pg.122 "Perfumers depended on Veiver from Montserrat but the Volcanic activity since 1995..."

they scrambled all over the French speaking world to get supply Haiti, Réunion, China ( and then to rebalance formulae etc.

Ever since I came here about 18 months ago the Vetiver question always arose.

I think I learned something. He goes on to speak of the loss of supply affecting all the French houses and that quality control, toxicitys and more were a major headache. This went on to exhibit how much happier a perfumer is when he gets a few molecules manipulated just right. Instead of dealing with the hundreds of molecules of the naturals.

a really quick read is this "The Perfect Scent" and the SJP parts have taught me nil. The Ellena quotes are worth the price though.

Originally Hubert de Givenchy’s own personal fragrance, Vetyver, a creation from 1959, returns in this collection of 10 fragrances that were no longer available, or had become very hard to find: Les Mythiques. The launch coincides with the House of Givenchy’s 50th anniversary. Structured around vetiver from Reunion Island, Vetyver is considered a ‘must’ for fans of vetiver fragrances. Info and e-shop : www.parfumsgivenchy.com
    description
    A vetiver scent with forest notes intertwined with light citrus accents, spices (coriander) and the sweeter notes of sandalwood.
    Top note : Bergamot Middle note : Coriander Base note : Vetiver, Sandalwood
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 30th March 2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Currently wearing: Opus IV by Amouage

Chris,

Thanks for this great thread! I agree entirely that the Givenchy men's line is non-traditional, strong and innovative, and often represents good value. I have and enjoy Monsieur de Givenchy, Gentleman, and Insensé.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    DON'T LISTEN to Chris.

Insense Ultramarine and Xeryus Rouge are great - just somewhat misunderstood.

You will have a devil of a time finding a more marine scent than Insense Ultramarine, and very refined to boot.

Renato
    And thank you, Renato, for your props for Insensé Ultramarine! I tried this in an airport duty-free several weeks ago for the first time and was very impressed, for not entirely clear reasons. I had trouble to keep from smelling my wrists constantly throughout my subsequent 3-hour flight. It is clean without being overtly soapy (ala Creed's OV), and it is very persistent. I'm surprised by how often this appears on best/worst lists, particularly the latter! I just ordered a 3.4 oz. bottle of this from scentedmonkey to accompany my three 2.5 oz. bottles of Nicole Miller for Men. Talk about near-polar opposite scents! I'm looking forward to wearing Insensé Ultramarine a lot this summer, along with Bulgari's Aqua PH.
    Last edited by wicozani; 4th April 2008 at 04:42 PM.

I'm not the biggest Givenchy fan on the planet and am not quite as in love with Gentleman as others seem to be.

I think the opening of Gentleman is over the top and over-powering, I would go as far as to say it is anything but well rounded. However, after the first hour, it's a fabulous fragrance that certainly has a broad appeal.

If you are going to go for a patchouli fragrance with better balance, I would wear Lagerfeld Classic, which is as powerful, but in my opinion smoother on the olfactory lobes.

I agree. Chuck made a solid point about the scent lasting. Nothing irritates me more than a great fragrance dissipating after a mere two hours of application. Waste of money in my honest opinion. Fragrances are an investment in ones self...make it worth your money.

I've neglected this thread for too long. Heavens--I've allowed Renato's and Wicozani's untruths go unchallenged for too long! A shame on my reputation, I tell you.

Renato writes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    DON'T LISTEN to Chris.

Insense Ultramarine and Xeryus Rouge are great - just somewhat misunderstood.

You will have a devil of a time finding a more marine scent than Insense Ultramarine, and very refined to boot.

And if you want to wear a sweet scent, you may as well get a classy one like Xeryus Rouge.

Oddly enough Chris's favourites - Monsieur, Gentlemen, Xeryus and Insense - never did much for me. I greatly disliked Insense for about 6 years, but now I like it a lot. Xeryus is just starting to grow on me.
    Renato
    Wicozani agrees with the Ultramarine judgment! The sky is falling, my friends, and a disaster is upon us. Renato and Wicozani have had the same KoolAide.

DON'T LISTEN to Renato. Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine is unworthy of being sold as a body fragrance. What is it good for, smell wise? Windex--the kitchen appliance cleaner in the spray bottle. They are even the exact same color. God this stuff is awful. Don't listen to Renato. If you do, and try this awful stuff (cheap in the states at Perfumania stores, last I checked), small rodents and large bugs will chew your feet while you sleep. It's that bad. Dreck that says nothing. Has no character. Smells of too much clothes washing and too many dryer sheets. God it's awful. A smell that doesn't even speak.

True story: back in the old Yahoo days of this forum AmirHongKong, an agressive contributor who I miss very much, asked what scent to wear when breaking up with a woman in whom he had no interest. Who knows how it even started, since he said he never had any real interest in her, but that's life for you, no? Anyway, she was devoted completely to Amir's happiness and wanted to be until the end of her days. Yikes, Amir said, I need to ask my Basenotes brethren what smell to wear when I break this heart really painfully. Can't be a nice smell, can it?

No it can't. Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine to the rescue! There's no other scent for breaking hearts it's that bad. Says nothing. Makes smellers bored. Kills adventure. Runs away from naughtyness. The scent of naiveté, I tell you! The smell of no nose language whatsoever. Pathos in a bottle--make that bathos in a bottle. Amir thought that might be just the right ticket to persuading the woman she was better off without him. No doubt they're both better off today too--thanks to Ultramarine.

My stars, I like a good scent that spanks me with something weird, but BELIEVE ME, there's nothing weird, there's nothing nice, there's nothing at all that makes sense or gives meaning to use of the nostrils, in Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine!

Wear it to show you're unworthy. That's it's value. And what I think of that Renato.
    --Chris

Chris is right that I found the Givenchy Vetyver lacking in longevity. I also found that my local
    San Jose Nordstrom charges $85 for this 100ml bottle, so I think he and Jaime got their bottles
    at a lucky price. I found I couldn't get more than about one hour of smell from this one. I liked it
    a lot, but one hour is mighty short.

I got out my bottle of Insensé the other night and found that I liked it much more than I had before.
    We'll see how a full day's wearing goes.

Gentleman is good, but it has never knocked my socks off. I prefer Antaeus and Stardust for Men
    in the patchouli department.

Still, Givenchy gets my respect. Good house.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post

And thank you, Renato, for your props for Insensé Ultramarine! I tried this in an airport duty-free several weeks ago for the first time and was very impressed, for not entirely clear reasons. I had trouble to keep from smelling my wrists constantly throughout my subsequent 3-hour flight. .
    Spot on. Guess what I'm doing right now? That's right, constantly smelling the back of my hand where I've sprayed some of this exotic liquid.

It's a good thing that Creed never made this scent - or this board would still be waxing away elequontly and incessantly thinking of two hundred ways to describe it's mysterious qualities. Instead, they just do it about other Creed scents which are infused with whale vomit, and which don't come close to achieving what this scent achieves.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

True story: back in the old Yahoo days of this forum AmirHongKong, an agressive contributor who I miss very much, asked what scent to wear when breaking up with a woman in whom he had no interest. Who knows how it even started, since he said he never had any real interest in her, but that's life for you, no? Anyway, she was devoted completely to Amir's happiness and wanted to be until the end of her days. Yikes, Amir said, I need to ask my Basenotes brethren what smell to wear when I break this heart really painfully. Can't be a nice smell, can it?

No it can't. Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine to the rescue! --Chris
    Hi Chris,

I remember that thread - and it was cruel - he probably broke her heart wearing the Ultramarine. From memory, I may have suggested something more appropriate like Quorum or What About Adam.

True story No.2 - A friend, who happened to be the most devilishly seductive woman I've ever come across, was staying at my place. and she was and still is a scent addict. I went off to buy some food. I came back and she'd doused herself with one of my scents - guess which one? None other than the aforementioned Insense Ultramarine.

She thought it was the best of my scents.

In our game (that of being males), it is important to focus not on just what one as an individual may think of a scent, but rather on what the prey thinks of the scent.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 10th April 2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A rebuttle anyone?

Renato,
    Yes, my friend, it is indeed sad that Creed didn't make this scent. If Creed did, then at least we'd know what famous people wore it. Or, excuse me, what boring people. John C. Milquetoast would be on the Creed Ultramarine list of greats, along with Nathanial M. Blah and David B. Mungiecake.

I also agree with you that Amir might have been wise to wear What About Adam at that crucial juncture of romantic life, but I'm comforted that you've come around to sanity regarding the delights of Quorum.

Speaking of sanity, as True Story No.2 proves, dear readers of this thread, visit Renato, have engaging conversation, look at the telescopes, enjoy the company--great guy, thoughtful in all ways, wonderful wife, but DON'T drink the water at his house! There's something in it I tell you.
    --Chris

Got to test the Givenchy Vetiver last week in London at Harrods. A really great vetiver scent! Very raw vetiver mixed with a heavy dose of coriander for lift and greenness. Xyreus, Gentlemen and Vetiver are classic great scents from Givenchy - could not agree more with this post.

Renato,
    Or, excuse me, what boring people. John C. Milquetoast would be on the Creed Ultramarine list of greats, along with Nathanial M. Blah and David B. Mungiecake.

--Chris
    I haven't laughed this hard all day and couldn't agre more!

For those of you in the US who are familiar with Albertson's grocery stores. I found Givenchy Xeryus and Xeryus Rouge on clearance sale for 19.99 for the 1.7oz in Tampa, FL.

I can't vouch for this being nationwide, but if you are looking for these, it may be worth a trip to your local store.

If not, pm me, they have about 5 of each left at my local.

cheers!
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Blog Entries

Insense Ultramarine is brilliant...probably THE most underrated Givenchy scent...i find it to be very complex, interesting, and unique. gotten lots of compliments when i've worn it.

Renato,

Speaking of sanity, as True Story No.2 proves, dear readers of this thread, visit Renato, have engaging conversation, look at the telescopes, enjoy the company--great guy, thoughtful in all ways, wonderful wife, but DON'T drink the water at his house! There's something in it I tell you.
    --Chris
    Not you too!

How did you know that everyone who comes to my house complains about the water? That my wife hates the water. That the woman in Story No 2 hated the water. This is a sore point.

So - it is a bit rusty, and I do have to run the tap for 10 seconds to clear it.

When they complain that it tastes metallic, I say - "What's the problem? You go and buy mineral water, don't you - here you get it for free."

The really dumb part is that many of these visitors later ask me what exactly do I do to make such great cups of tea and coffee. I explain that I put the tea bag/ instant coffee into the cup, and pour in the water that I've heated in an open pan (since I dislike the water that comes out of kettles).

I could get the pipes replaced, but then I'd have to go back to the average cups of coffee I get at everyone else's place.
    Renato

Now I have to try Insense Ultramarine and Greenergy, two scents that I never enountered or did not try when I could.

Basenotes Plus

I swear to God that no one, no body cares about the French losing their carefully cultivated Vetiver fields in Monserrat but everone bitches about the Vetivers on the market since 95' or so when volcanic activity quelled the harrveting of this most favored stock.
    Haitian Vetiver?? Why? Because the farmer speaks French?

Next time I find something out I'm keeping it to myself!!

Or did everyone know this except me already?

If so, I'm very sorry about the ranting and childish behavior

Good Day!!

btw: Givenchys Vetyver (reissue) is sublime.
    Currently wearing: Opus IV by Amouage

Xeryus. I have less to observe about this one, but it is similarly perfect. I think it is the house's "wild side" scent. It has a cold heart note that is steel like, geranium like, and austere. It haunts me because I know its smell even from memory--know the smell by brain alone without getting my bottle out to smell. Unforgettable. It's austere and cold, but in a way that is interesting--interesting in the sense that one wants to get closer to it to figure it out. This stuff never gets tired. This stuff is so damn cool!

--Chris
    This Givenchy did kick my rear today. It was love at first sniff, now it's the newest member of my collection.

Chris, your description of it pretty much nails it. I'll add Xeryus is sexy as hell too, an Alpha-male, sophisticated fragrance. Something James Bond would wear.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    For those of you in the US who are familiar with Albertson's grocery stores. I found Givenchy Xeryus and Xeryus Rouge on clearance sale for 19.99 for the 1.7oz in Tampa, FL.

I can't vouch for this being nationwide, but if you are looking for these, it may be worth a trip to your local store.

If not, pm me, they have about 5 of each left at my local.

cheers!
    I picked up Givenchy Xeryus at Albertson's in Arizona today for $19.99, thanks for the tip! They had quite a few other markdowns too.

As of lately, i have fallen for VI Fresh attitude (and i didn't really liked the original), of course i agree with you, Givenchy frags for men give a lot to our nasal experiences. The ones that are must haves IMHO: Insensé (it's a huge deal that they haven't touched the original formula) and Vetyver (the reissue is just as good as the discontinued one, albeit different).

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I swear to God that no one, no body cares about the French losing their carefully cultivated Vetiver fields in Monserrat but everone bitches about the Vetivers on the market since 95' or so when volcanic activity quelled the harrveting of this most favored stock.
    Haitian Vetiver?? Why? Because the farmer speaks French?

Next time I find something out I'm keeping it to myself!!

Or did everyone know this except me already?

If so, I'm very sorry about the ranting and childish behavior

Good Day!!

btw: Givenchys Vetyver (reissue) is sublime.
    Fredericktoo, I found your post on vetiver very instructive.

I believe internet forums can be a bit frustrating sometimes, when a very relevant post gets no answer or no recognition. But it doesn't necessairily mean it went unnoticed.

So, I see what you mean (and/or feel).

Givenchy are really really great. Tough call between them and YSL for best mens designer house.

Givenchy Pi is my favourite, and very Irresistable is very pleasant, despite the hate it gets here.
    Gentleman is also top notch