Code of Conduct

Default Newb needs suggestions and answers

Hello everyone. I'm almost through reading a book on clothing and style, and it had a primer on colognes and usage. I also just learned about the three "notes" and about certain kinds of ingredients.

I then learned that the two colognes I currently own are better suited for night-time and more formal uses, is that correct?

Armani Code (black)
    Polo Black

I read something online about how daytime scents need to be more "citrusy" or lighter "floral" stuff. I would like a suggestion as to what scents I should look into. I want something flexible and more casual. I attend professional school and will be in the hospital most of the time, but I'd also hope to be able to use this cologne for lunch dates, etc. Unless the two I already own are just fine, then I'll save the money!

I don't care if I end up with 20 suggestions, it will be a good place to start for me. After my next exam I'll go sniffing around some department store.

Also, I still don't know if the two colognes I listed above have different uses as well. I basically just use what I feel in the mood for. I noticed that some people have "interpretations" for certain colognes, would anyone mind sharing some for those two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very glad that I found this forum.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newb needs suggestions and answers

I would suggest Aqua di Parma Colonia.

Post Thanks / Like

i've worn Armani Code in the day plenty of times, but I agree that it is more of a night-time scent. I associate lighter, citrus scents with the daytime, and Armani Code isn't either of those.. Lighter citrus scents fit better in the day, and so with that I'd give Reaction by Kenneth Cole a sniff.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Eau D'Orange Verte or Terre de Hermes - both by Hermes. Both can be tested / bought at Sephora and many department stores.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Polo black is actually a good example of a day scent. It is very bright and fruty (why is it called black I do not know) and it does not have the smokyness and sweetness thatmekes code a night scent. Another day scent would be Ungaro III and as someone mentioned it, Aqua di Parma Colonia. Rive Gauche is quiete versatile, as well as John Varvatos. If you like Code, you propably like Bvlgari black which is very modern and a good night scent. Guerlains Vetyver is could also be used for day and night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue - My friend uses this one and he doesn't wear heavy scents because at his workplace, there's a lot of sensitive noses. It's nice enough to carry off as professional.

Thierry Mugler Cologne - It's citrus and soapy. It's very subtle. You know you're wearing cologne, but it also feels as if you aren't. It's really weird. If you've smelled Irish Spring soap, that's pretty much it. The vetiver in it gives it a classier, very slightly "bitter", earthier feel.

Kenneth Cole Reaction - I have a couple friends who wear this. It's really nice. I'd say try it to see if it lasts long enough to suit your tastes. Some people around here didn't like it's longevity. It's a shame because it's citrus and melon scents are one of the well put together I've smelled in a designer fragrance.

Kenneth Cole Black - It's Reaction's classier brother, I suppose, but still casual enough not to feel as if you can't wear a t-shirt and jeans with this. It's still citrus and fresh, but it's got a slightly more grown up undertone with it.

Dlish Clean for Men - Pretty much the same vein as Thierry Mugler, but IMO, a bit more expensive (don't know why). It's a more obvious citrus and it's soapyness is less earthy than TM Cologne.

Issey Miyake - If you haven't heard of this one yet, once you walk into a department store or a fragrance shop, you'll know it. It's very popular, but there's a reason for that. It's an aquatic (fresh watery) floral scent with a citrus punch. Wear this lightly and it's really nice. Girls LOVE this one, even though I do admit, it does smell sorta girly. LOL.

Clinique Happy - Citrus, citrus, citrus. It's not terribly strong or sharp. It's a tiny bit sweet. It basically smells like oranges and tangerines, but in a subtle way of course. It's quite nice and very wearable for work. It's very cheery.

Burberry Touch - Once the violet notes settle down, this smells like soft laundry with a little woodsiness and it's kinda sexy. I made the mistake of over applying this a few times and I ended up hating it. I might go back to this one again if I don't end up selling it.

Bvlgari Aqva - If you want a truly unique marine scent in the sea of Acqua Di Gio users. Get this. You can get it pretty cheap online ($30?) and Bvlgari has a refreshing sea coast smell all the way down to the seaweed on the rocks. If you LOVE hanging out at the beach, try this one. Unlike most aquatics or marines I've tried, this one doesn't dance around the genre by drowning it in fruity or bright citrus notes, it's straight up marine and classy. I've worn this to work, I've worn this on a day out, I've worn this to a sports bar, and I've worn this to a dinner at a formal steakhouse. It lasts for hours. I feel bad that I've neglected it lately. LOL.

Anyway, good luck. Just go to the store and get samples if you can. Try it on your skin first because you just want to know how it turns out after wearing it for an hour or so. The list I gave you is a very basic list that's easily accessible and this is based on personal experience.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I had never even heard of most of these colognes until now. I've already begun looking at their prices and ingredients. I'll definitely make it a priority to get a sample or something to try it on my skin (after approving the three "notes" of course).

However, the Agua di Parma Colonia seems to be something that I won't be able to find in a dept store is that correct?
    Last edited by sandbox4837; 25th March 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Neiman Marcus should have Acqua Di Parma. I'd check higher end department stores like Saks 5th and what not.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandbox4837 View Post

However, the Agua di Parma Colonia seems to be something that I won't be able to find in a dept store is that correct?
    Nordstrom's stocks AdP also, as well as the stores Rawk recommended. Besides this, Sephora stores do also.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nordstrom's stocks AdP also, as well as the stores Rawk recommended. Besides this, Sephora stores do also.
    Sephora lists AdP as "online only" - I haven't seen it at any of the stores near me anyway.

Got it.

Will any of these colognes smell worse on paper? I usually just spray them on the sample paper, but I have just learned that it is not always suggested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's a mixed bag. Some smell great on paper, but smell bad on your own skin. Everyone's skin varies. It could smell bad on paper, but smell great on you. My own general rule of thumb for myself, personally, it's the smell on the paper that draws me in. Then I decide if it should even touch my skin. I try my wrist just to make sure it's a smell I like on myself. If I don't like it, then I'm not even going to wear a sample of it on the rest of my skin (neck, chest, etc) since it's a lot easier to just wash off your wrists than just take a shower because you're wearing something for the first time and you didn't like it at all.

Default duplicate post

duplicate post
    Last edited by sandbox4837; 26th March 2008 at 03:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very comfortable buying blind as I have only been 'burned' a few times.

That said, when I do have the opportunity to sample a fragrance first, I never make a decision from paper - always from a test on the skin that I have let dry down fairly well.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Some more daytime suggestions:

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf: Grapefruit to cinnamon/nutmeg to a vanilla base. A hint of leather and florals throughout the heart. This sounds heavy and unsuitable for day wear, but is actually quite light and refreshing. A very complex fragrance. It has 6-8 hours of longevity on me and wears fairly close to the skin - you won't be offending people 5 or 6 feet away.

Prada Amber: A lot of myrrh in this with other florals. Slightly feminine, but quite clean smelling. Smells a bit like a very smooth shaving cream.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Okay I lied.

Just when I thought I was beginning to get this. I started to search all of these suggestions...

Some of the colognes I was recommended (such as Issey Miyake, Dolce Gabbana, Thierry Mugler, Antidote) have musk in it. Isn't that for evening use? Or is that something they tell newbs like me at first, but it can be a flexible rule?
    Last edited by sandbox4837; 26th March 2008 at 04:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is that element in there so that it won't seem too feminine. Issey is very light. Go to a store and give them a sniff. You're nose will be able to tell the difference between a light and heavy scent.

Don't get so wrapped up around a day/night classification. If you like a scent by all means go ahead and just wear it. Apply accordingly though. You don't want to be wearing the same amount of code you'd put on going to a club while you're sitting in class or at work. You don't want to be "that guy" who everyone can smell before entering a room.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 26th March 2008 at 04:59 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you smell something on yourself that you'd feel weird wearing it during the day, then don't wear it in the day. Don't get too caught up in others' opinions on when and where you should wear these, take them with a grain of salt, smell them, and you decide yourself. In the end, it matters how you feel wearing them at those particular times. Have fun searching!
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 26th March 2008 at 05:17 AM.

I think you answered your own question. Wear what ever you are in the mood for. It doesn't matter if something is labled for day or night use, if it puts you in a better place then by all means, wear it!

Post Thanks / Like

As previous posters have said, the day night thing is less important than:

-the weather - freezing cold and snowing, raining, a bit chilly, a nice spring / fall day with the sun out, warm, boiling hot and humid, you get it.
    -the social situation - the beach, sport, casual, school, romantic, sexy-clubbing, professional, formal, etc

I look to have a spectrum of frags that fit into that spectrum of weather and social situations.

Thus of what you own (and this is my personal take not everyone will agree):

Polo Black - most weather situations, most social situations except formal.
    Code - cooler or neutral weather, reserve it for romantic, sexy-clubbing type situations, maybe class on a cold day (though not necessarily restricted to that)

So maybe get something:

1. for the casual hot days coming up - Bvlgari Acqua, Live Jazz, Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes

2. neutral (especially if you are in hospital like me), professional, formal, job interviews, etc:

Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Lanvin Homme
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    ADP is also a lovely suggestion but is a bit more $$$ and harder to try before you buy

A few others which would fit into the same category generally, but aren't quite as neutral, a bit more distinct and powerful:

Dunhill Edition
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    YSL Rive Gauche

If you bought one from each of those categories you'd have a very well balanced wardrobe of 4 fragrance to cover you in most weather, social situations, day and night etc.

Once you've done that, the real fun can start - you can break all of the above rules I just made and do what the bloody hell you want. I'm working from home today, lounging around in tracksuit pants and an old shirt wearing Vintage Tabarome (one of the most formal mens fragrances ever made) and feeling great!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I'll let you all know what I end up getting on this thread next week. Thanks for taking the time to give me advice.

I would suggest not listening to a stupid book telling you what to wear, HOWEVER, if you do want a citrus reccomendation because YOU want one (not the book) I can say Eau Sauvage, Scherrer Immense Homme, D&G pour homme (the navy velvety bottle) or even nuits d'hadrien

Post Re: Newb needs suggestions and answers

The book I read is not stupid; it is "The Style Bible" and it did not tell me to get citrus (it is actually a pretty good book on men's clothing in general). I decided on "light cologne" after doing google searches and reading about day wear.

Status report for the rest of you:

I went to the department stores here (no high end ones...) and tried out what I could

The results:

Reaction Kenneth Cole: It was a good melon smell, but not me

Kenneth Cole Black: Liked it, got a sample

Bvlgari por homme: didn't really like it

Dlish Clean for Men: didn't like it

Dolce Gabbana Light Blue: didn't really like it

Clnique Happy: Smelled very...girly (the saleswoman said many women wear it...gaaahh)

Burberry Touch: This one was tricky. I almost crossed it off my list, but a second careful sniff and now I have a sample with me. It's subtle. I think this is my first choice for now.

Ralph Lauren Safari: did not like it at all

I wish they had Live Jazz, Ungaro III, Terre de Hermes, Vetiver- Guerlain, or even Antidote, but I guess I may have to order samples online now. I'm going to do a forum search right now for cheap samples

I actually carried the entire list of all the suggestions with me. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by sandbox4837; 1st April 2008 at 02:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet, good to see two of the things I listed made it on your list to try. Haha.

If you're in the hospital during the day, I would recommend Creed Original Vetiver, Thierry Mugler Cologne, or Gendarme. All are clean, fresh, and inoffensive scents - they all smell like clean soap.

For the night time, you could go with Armani Code if you're in your 20's. Otherwise, you should get something sexier, such as Montale Black Aoud, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Rochas Man, or even Victoria's Secret Very Sexy For Him.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a happy for men and a happy meant for women. Did you try the men's?
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

She told me it was "Happy for Men"

Sample vials = painful find and expensive

(I removed my opinions because they keep on changing for both Burberry Touch and Kenneth Cole Black)

I'm now backtracking a bit. Do you guys think that the Polo Black would be ok? I so far still like the Polo Black more than any of the ones I tried today (except for perhaps Touch and Cole Black), but I do admit that I suspect it's "heavier" than it should be for hospital wear.

Either case:
    I'll definitely need to sample all the other colognes you all recommended when I take my cousin to Orlando. She'll be in Disney, and I'll be sampling colognes... you guys are horrible influences.
    Last edited by sandbox4837; 1st April 2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: I keep changing my opinion on Burberry Touch

You can also sample colognes at Disney when you come to Orlando. There are fragrance shops / areas in shops at Epcot in England, France, Italy, Norway, Japan. Usually a very full range of things to sample from the lines that are there. If you don't see something ask.