Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Live Jazz...meh? Citrus scents

So basically all of my scents are blind or semi blind buys. I got voyage and code a couple years ago before I found basenotes. But everything else is from a bit of research and reading reviews. Pi and Burberry London were semi blinds, I tried them out at at the counter and then bought (in the case of London I waited to get home to buy it online)......

Anyways, on to the point of the post. From what I read I thought I would like Live Jazz...but as of now and after several wears I don't find myself "wowed" by it. If I'm wearing any of my other scents I'll put my head down in class and give myself a few good whiffs because I really enjoy how they smell. I just don't find myself doing that with Live Jazz. Of course it is only 45ish degrees out now so maybe, just maybe, once the weather warms up so will my appreciation of this scent. If not, I've got 3.4oz of it that will have to go for up on the trade block.

I'm going to put this in the back of my dresser until the weather gets warmer but in the mean time I will be looking for a springy/summery scent.

I think I like citrus scents and not so much the flowery ones - I have TdH and adore it. So I think I shall be going to Sephora this weekend for a sample of Clinque Happy for men and Sun Men. How do these compare to TdH, if they are similar I'll have to look for something else...any other recommendations are welcome. Nothing too pricey please!

Anyways, I really hope I come to like this scent, but I'll just follow my nose as the weeks come. And hopefully the directory comes back, I'm lonely without it.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 25th March 2008 at 03:46 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live Jazz...meh? Citrus scents

Clinique Happy is quite a bit sweeter than TdH, there's no lemon to be found in it. It also doesn't have quite the weight that TdH has. Personally I like Happy more than TdH but I think TdH just doesn't do well on my skin.

May want to try Calvin Klein Euphoria, I usually wear it and Happy at the same time as I feel they complement each other and make a scent greater than the sum of it's parts.

EDIT: Lemon is in fact listed as one of the notes on Happy, but I'd call it "lemonade" and not lemon.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 25th March 2008 at 03:49 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Check out Oscar for Men by Oscar de LaRenta. Picked it up cheap at TJMaxx and it's a perfect spring morning frag. Crisp, citrusey and complex (drysdowns to fir & leather)
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Clinique Happy is quite a bit sweeter than TdH, there's no lemon to be found in it. It also doesn't have quite the weight that TdH has. Personally I like Happy more than TdH but I think TdH just doesn't do well on my skin.

May want to try Calvin Klein Euphoria, I usually wear it and Happy at the same time as I feel they complement each other and make a scent greater than the sum of it's parts.

EDIT: Lemon is in fact listed as one of the notes on Happy, but I'd call it "lemonade" and not lemon.
    Clinique Happy reminds me of Orange Julius or one of those Orangina drinks. I personally like it. It's not a "wow that's fantastic" scent to me, but it's a "that's pretty pleasant." scent. I wasn't impressed by Live Jazz either. The citrus was too sharp for my tastes and a lot of the cilantro came out on my skin. It ended up smelling almost like a salsa bar. I was hoping I'd like that one. Oh well. Euphoria starts off fresh, not clean, but very fresh, then it mellows out to be warmer and a bit woodsy. Terre D'Hermes starts off with orange peel for me, then it turns woodsy and warm. A little too warm to me for summer, but alright in the spring. It's good for colder months if I didn't want to wear anything super heavy, but I want something fresher with a comforting warm accord.

Blog Entries

That's what it is. The cilantro. I get a lot of it as well. I really do want to like this tho since so many here like it.
    Looking for:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    I really do want to like this tho since so many here like it.
    I feel the same way about M7, but I've sort of made amends with myself and just said that I'm not always going to like the trendy pick, no matter how refined the collective opinion is.

Don't feel like you have to like something, nobody's gonna begrudge you a thing if you don't.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sur la Plage

You may want to look at Lemon Sorbet by Etro. I really like it. The name is a little misleading - I was expecting something sickly sweet and lemony, which it's not. The notes are Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petit Grain, Lavender, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver. Plus I started seeing this at Marshalls for $19.99 for a 100ml bottle.

There is also Aqua di Parma Colonia, Colonia Assoluta, or Colonia Intensa.

Another citrus fragrance I enjoy is Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Femme (the women's version, not the men's). Although this one may have some floral notes that you may not like.

Every year Burberry releases a men's summer fragrance. The 2007 version has notes of pineapple, citrus, frosted mint, thyme, geranium, cedarwood, white musk, and tonka bean. You can find this at several online retailers. The 2008 version should be released in the US soon - I think it is out in Europe already.

Good luck!

Joe

What you need is a nice, big bottle of Calypso pour Homme (or Tangerine, as it is called now I think).

Very good citrus scent.

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Loewe Para Hombre

Also, not really citrus but give Versace L'Homme a shot as well...

I really like Live Jazz and sorry if my recomend caused a blind buy reaction. But I find I only can wear it when the weather is WARM. It is a bit loud in mix (like live jazz would be) with grapefruit, mint and coriander - but it all works for me. BUT, if the coriander note (cilantro) bothers you I suggest Signoricci for a similar formula but different result of citrus + very dry follow up. Signoricci has lemon instead of grapefruit for citrus and cedar instead of coriander for dryness - and no mint at all. Both are great in my opinion, but Signoricci has been a classic scent since the 1980's by following the "less is more" minimalist philosophy of design - lemon + dry woods. This same type of tartness followed by dry woods or cilantro is used very well in both of the Tommy Bahama Set Sail frags too - the new one as well as the older St. Barts.

Blog Entries

No need to apologize as it was not a single person who influenced me. All the searching for 'live jazz' turned up an overwhelmingly positive response so I went for it. TdH was similar with a lot of people liking the scent. However, it does have quite a few people who don't prefer it as well. IThere's no such thing as a "safe blind buy" and I know that. I rolled the dice on Live Jazz and as of right now I've crapped out. It's supposed to warm up to 60* this friday but then drop back to 40s next week. I'll give it a go then, and then wait til it gets closer to 70*.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 25th March 2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Looking for:

you should also try iceberg twice at which you want to look at next. Is really a nice citrus/oriental/woody. Similar to opium ysl but lighter and less spicey. My daily office frag. Discreet enough.

terre d´hermes is also my favorite frag. Have to test live jazz too.
    Last edited by sanatik; 25th March 2008 at 03:29 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Basenotes Institution

Try the Happy for women - I think it wears great on a man.

Also try Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like the fresh mint in live jazz.

I love Live Jazz most times I wear it, especially when its really hot and it develops from the lemon / mint / cintronella. But in cooler weather, it can start to smell alot like a citronella candle...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

That settles it, I need to wait for warm weather before I wear this stuff again. I could really use the $40 I spent on it now though haha!
    --------------------------------------
    I got a sample of happly for men and will be headed to try some adp stuff tomorrow. I want to give tangerine a try too.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 29th March 2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Looking for:

Blog Entries

So it was 81* today and I gave it an other try. And I really, really enjoyed it! I'm going to take a break for a few days and try it again but I found myself liking this scent today.
    Looking for:

Cool Re: Live Jazz...meh? Citrus scents

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Loewe Para Hombre

Also, not really citrus but give Versace L'Homme a shot as well...

Members of The Senate, I second KMF's excellent suggestions!!

There's also MIller Harris' Cuir d'Oranger (good luck finding it) but perhaps more suited for spring than scorching summer. I've heard tales about L'Occitane's old (translation: discontinued) Orange Blossoms, though I've never had the pleasure of meeting it.

The new (translation: available) Montana PH by Montana is a citrus bomb that lasts forever, in case the fleeting Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes drives you nuts with its vanishing act.

I like bluesoul and Rawk Lee's description of Clinique Happy, ( Orange Julius? ) It's a weird juice.
    Frankly, It seems to me that it should be marketed as a child's cologne. Though a burly sailor with a "KIck Me " tatoo on his back and a habit of getting into barroom brawls along the waterfront would probably love it as well

Oh yes, let's not forget Signoricci, Tangerine Vert ( M.H. again) or Eau de Rochas

CdG's litlle known Vettiveru is great for summer, as is Creed's " unoriginal " (1948) Vetiver---Yep, not quite citrus, still--and Bowling Green is a wonderful aromatic.

btw, reneirworld, I've always felt Live Jazz to be a C+ on me at best. But if you're being fickle, you're right--just give it a rest for a while. And then besides Clinique Happy, there are other unerrated el cheapos like the aforementioned Iceberg Twice along with Ferrari Black, Caroline Herrera's 212 H2O and Perry Ellis 360 red.

Best of luck in your struggle to find a great citrus that suits you.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 12th April 2008 at 05:55 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I thought I would mention Versace Versus Uomo as you are looking for a citrus-like scent with a lemony accord. I was intrigued by the reviews and since owning it, I am very happy with my purchase. It does have a synthetic aspect to it, but in my opinion it is most welcome for those times when I don't want to feel 100% natural.

If you are looking for citrus scents, I suggest you go right to the top of the class and sample these:

Acqua di Parma Colonia (Colonia Assoluta is also great)
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien

Also try Dior's Eau Sauvage, which is excellent, but quite short lasting, as is Hadrien.

Colonia, surprisingly, lasts quite a while on me, and it is my favorite citrus.

Can't say I'm enthralled with Live Jazz either. The problem with most citrus scents, especially those with "Eau" in front of them, is that they have very little lasting power - effectively disappearing in three hours (which is what TDH did to me too).

Eau de Rochas Homme is a little better than most, lasting for about 5 hours on me.
    D&G Masculine has heaps of lasting power, but this lemony scent doesn't agree with many around here.
    If you can find it, Aqua di Portofino is the other very citrusy scent with a lot of lasting power (kind of like a double strengthed YSL Pour Homme).

Otherwise, if you want them to last during hot weather, the woody-citrus scents would be the next best bet - Cerrutti 1881, Chrome, Versace Green Jeans, Paris Hilton's Just Me and Heir, Halston Z-14 (for something older style), Dali's Le Roy Soleil etc

Renato

I'm no Live Jazz expert - which I also bought (ordered) blind when I saw a good price. I haven't worn it much but it happened to be my SotD a couple days ago. I was surprised to be reminded of another (notewise and moodwise) - which I only have samples of: Divine's L'Homme de Coeur (which on one occasion got me a compliment). (Divine has been known to send a set of free samples to those who enquire nicely by email www.divine.fr --- divine@divine.fr.) I'd choose LHdC in a second if I were given the chance. Having LJ, though, I don't feel a pressing need for purchasing LHdC - I'll have to see after some more wearings - you know ... it's that "Life's too short..." thing. LJ & LHdC moodwise don't come across to me as a typical "citrus scent" - in the same way that Signoricci, Eau d'Hadrien, & Eau d"Orange Verte do.

I don't like/get Live Jazz either. The mint in there feels out of place for me. Still the best citrusy not yet mentioned in this thread: M7 Fresh. D&G Masculine or Moschino Friends are also focused on lemon, but they just don't work for me. For a greener one, I think Eau de Cartier is nice.

Oh btw, Sun Men is a really bad idea I think, I only get the smell of sun tan lotion out of that.No citrus whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Oh btw, Sun Men is a really bad idea I think, I only get the smell of sun tan lotion out of that.No citrus whatsoever.
    I don't think Sun Men is a bad idea, but it's not a citrusy scent.
    Instead it's more an ambery fougere scent, kind of like a toned down version of Boss Elements Aqua or a less fruity version of Laguna. I think it's quite good in summer when one wants an alternative to citruses or aquatics.
    Renato

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert if you want 100% citrus.
    If you want another aromatic with a big blast of lasting citrus to strart (like TDH), try the ultimate in cheap Lemon aromatics. Bowling Green.

I'm going to second the recommendation of Le Roy Soleil. The top notes are remarkably similar to GIT except with a bitter orange note thrown in the mix. The drydown is a bit different, being a light and slightly bitter mix of cedar and tobacco leaf and a light hint of musk.

I'm giving Live Jazz its first true 'full wearing' and I have to say I like it, but am not wowed as of yet. I actually like it when it stays a bit cooler as a warm breath on the skin really brought the cilantro note (and it's salsa associations) out.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You may want to look at Lemon Sorbet by Etro. I really like it. The name is a little misleading - I was expecting something sickly sweet and lemony, which it's not. The notes are Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petit Grain, Lavender, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver. Plus I started seeing this at Marshalls for $19.99 for a 100ml bottle.

There is also Aqua di Parma Colonia, Colonia Assoluta, or Colonia Intensa.

Another citrus fragrance I enjoy is Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Femme (the women's version, not the men's). Although this one may have some floral notes that you may not like.

Every year Burberry releases a men's summer fragrance. The 2007 version has notes of pineapple, citrus, frosted mint, thyme, geranium, cedarwood, white musk, and tonka bean. You can find this at several online retailers. The 2008 version should be released in the US soon - I think it is out in Europe already.

Good luck!

Joe
    Light Blue for her is a pleasure. I gave this to my wife as a gift recently and she caught me spraying it on myself. It's a great scent. It works on men as well.