Code of Conduct

Default Back from the dead

I doubt anyone on the board was around during my days. But after a long hiatus form the world of fragrance and skincare I got the longing (like an addict who gets an itch). It took a walk past Barneys one day and the curiosity of what's new. I tried a handful of scents some ok some not ok then there was Yosh. i line I've tried before but here they had many Yosh fragrances. I've realized I'm not into finding new scents for me as much anymore as I'm pretty content with the 20 or so scents I've grown to like and still have to find something that smacks me in the face and says "WEAR ME BITCH" like Musc Ravageur, Yojhi, SMW, or Stardust have in the past. But I enjoy finding scents I think I'd love to smell on others and the Yosh line really impressed me.

Out of the Niche world and into the regular world I did like the Tom Ford men's fragrance it was a throwback to the 80's with a bit of modern metrosexual sensuality (it's Tom Ford so of course) and the usual redwood forest stuffed in a bottle thing he has going.

I also digged the Kenzo Tokyo (guess I like wood). Had a sawdust aroma with crisp accords.

Anyway curious what recent scents for 2008 are peaking people's interests these days?

Cheers,
    Al

And what is Mini me wearing Cap'N?

Default Re: Back from the dead

Who is that masked man? You know Al, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The Pirates still haven't had a winning season since you last posted!

Some of us have the power of recall my friend!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Naturally I don't remember you. Welcome back nonetheless!

Welcome back Al .. Im a newb here too .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Welcome back. Incidentally, I was trying to "research" Stardust yesterday and I couldn't find too much info about it. All the threads I found on the board were from way back when, and your name kept popping up.

Hi Ali, how's it going? For those who don't know Ali has been a member since about 2000, and contributed several articles to the site.

Oh, and my mini-me doesn't seem to have preferences yet, but likes spraying them in his eye!

Welcome Back

The only 2008 launches i'm actually slightly alert about are Tom Fords White Patchouli (marketed as a Women's, but like Black Orchid, hopefully wearable by both) and maybe a new launch in the Le Labo line (London Exclusive)

Welcome back! Hopefully you'll stick around for a while and enjoy your 're-birth' here at BN .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I was thinking that you were way overdue to put in an appearance.

I've often wondered how you would have responded to some of the threads here about the merits of being ultra subtle vs those of being somewhat loud.
    Regards,
    Renato

Al, what a nice surprise. Hope everything's well. I also like Tom Ford for Men--there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Like Knightowl says, do sit a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I was thinking that you were way overdue to put in an appearance.

I've often wondered how you would have responded to some of the threads here about the merits of being ultra subtle vs those of being somewhat loud.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Were you referring to fragrances or forum behavior?

Welcome back, ali. I've only been here for a year or so, and I've often wondered where some of the old-timers drifted off to, and why. Reviewing old threads, I frequently come across folks with massive numbers of posts, and seeing one come back to life is a real treat!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 26th March 2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Good to see you, Al!
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Welcome back Ali!! It's been too long. We really miss your pithy commentaries on here. You're a saucy little rascal, you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Were you referring to fragrances or forum behavior?

Welcome back, ali. I've only been here for a year or so, and I've often wondered where some of the old-timers drifted off to, and why. Reviewing old threads, I frequently come across folks with massive numbers of posts, and seeing one come back to life is a real treat!
    Ooops I should have been clearer - I meant subtle vs loud in terms of fragrance application, a topic that shows up quite often within threads.

I remember being a bit of a whimp fragrance application-wise when I first came here. Somehow, Al inspired me to get more daring.
    Renato

Welcome back to the fold, Ali!

Welcome back. I probably read your posts as I started visiting this site shortly after it started up but was more of an observer then. I can also identify with you regarding your 20 frags and that you are satisfied and it has to be very special to consider a purchase. I am a couple away from. Oh, and like you and Indie I too like Tom Ford for Men. I believe this will be the new Rive Gauche where everyone disliked then a 180 and everyone loves.

Greg

Wow guess I was wrong a few of the original are stil lurking! Good stuff! Thank you for the warm response guys I think I will be a bit more active than I have recently. I've been acclimating to a new life in Los Angeles over the last 3 years, dealing with the dirt and mold that is the entertainment industry. Its funny people here always make fun of the adult industry but the mainstream side of things (where I work) is far more "dirty," The "swimming with sharks" metaphor is an UNDERSTATEMENT if anything.

Anyway its been fun and a film I worked on won an Oscar last year which was kinda cool. I'm working on my own feature now called dEAD MAN'S dANCe (www.deadmansdance.com) and even incorporated some "scent" related material in the story just because as a scent addict I had too.

Anyway I am going to check out Le Labo (love the website). There is a LOT of niche stuff I have no idea about and it's nice. I feel like a virgin again with so much new stuff to discover and try out. I feel like an ignorant noobie again and it's soooooo nice!!!

I do have some scent memory. At Saks 5th the other day, the SA asked if I work in the fragrance industry after I made a comment about the Bond line. But it's good to be back.

Cheers,
    Ali

And yes I can be loud and rambuncious at times :^).
    Last edited by anak; 28th March 2008 at 12:47 AM.

Hey Ali, long time no see, how's it going?

Welcome back, Ali!

I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, having been a member for just a little over a year now. But I have great respect for the elder statesmen of Basenotes, and enjoy reading the reviews by the Old Masters.

Thanks for the link to your film website. I'm going to check it out.

noggs

Wow! I haven't seen so many 2003 joiners on one page since I don't know when! Of course, in 2004 - 05 it wasn't that special . I hope you can organize some thread to give us your impressions how this board has changed in five years and add some anecdotes from the early days. I am a fan of the archives. But the oldest haven't been available lately. Welcome, everyone!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Wow! I haven't seen so many 2003 joiners on one page since I don't know when! Of course, in 2004 - 05 it wasn't that special . I hope you can organize some thread to give us your impressions how this board has changed in five years and add some anecdotes from the early days. I am a fan of the archives. But the oldest haven't been available lately. Welcome, everyone!
    You should be able to go back to the old Yahoo group postings, unless one needs to be a member. Those date back to 2001 or so and give a pretty good indication of how much effort Grant has put into this over the years.

welcome back, I dont actualyl remember your name but I had been lurking as well as having another username long long ago (forgot the password) so some of us are still around

glad to have you back!

Holy cow!!!!!!! Ali!!!!!!!!! I've been thinking about the old Yahoo board for a while now. I lurked there for some time. It's great to see you as well as all the good old boys. ;-) Welcome back.
    Now we've gotta find Jeffrey P. Where is my old bottle of 212???

I look forward to lots of new posts from you and updates on you career.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Holy cow!!!!!!! Ali!!!!!!!!! I've been thinking about the old Yahoo board for a while now. I lurked there for some time. It's great to see you as well as all the good old boys. ;-) Welcome back.
    Now we've gotta find Jeffrey P. Where is my old bottle of 212???

I look forward to lots of new posts from you and updates on you career.

Eric
    I think Jeffrey P. goes by the alias "Caroline Herrera", in hopes of hiding from her lawyers. Where else would be a better place than right underneath their noses!

By the way, I read he wasn't a big fan of 212 Sexy Men.

Anak, I wasn't at Basenotes when you were active here but I just went through your articles and look forward to reading more of your contributions.

I agree with your assessment of Tokyo - it suprised me with that subtle sawdust accord.
    -