Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual

It seems like every review I read (and forgive me for quoting this, whoever you are but I just had to quote something) theres at least a third of the reviews going something like this:

" On me, it smells like I just had great sex while wearing nothing but a suede jacket with bags of ripe apricots as pillows. It’s not refined on my skin…it’s all about tousled hair, slightly smeared eyeliner, slip dresses but with Louboutin shoes as usernameeditedout mentioned. It’s definitely not for everyday but it’s perfect when in a naughty mood. "

its like... where do people get this from? it seems like the words "sex" and "naughty" are two of the most used words in online perfume reviews. Everyone mixes sex in with the notes. Is it the musk?? do you people really smell like galaxolide when you have sex? a bag of apricots for pillows? like some of the stuff is just so unrealistic and fantasy-land ... that it really gets to me! and personally I think it gets in the way of the review as well

do these people never have sex and therefore live imaginary sex lives through perfume and the internet

or do they just have so much sex thats its all they can talk about / think about / describe things as ?

A BAG OF APRICOTS AS A PILLOW ??? TOUSLED HAIR??? LOUBOUTIN SHOES?? you can actually pinpoint the brand of shoes it smells like??

GAH!!

ps - im not just picking on this review, ive read way worse than apricots for a pillow! my apologies to the reviewer I just had to post at least one example.

Default Re: why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual

Well, i love New Haarlem because it smells so....soo...sooooooo......oooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo.....ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh

sorry
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

When describing the abstract sense that is called smell, people use imagery to evoke the feeling they get that the associate with smell. Most scientists will tell you that smell is directly linked to sex. So there you go though I've never described a scent as sexy.

Even in music it's mentioned.

I smell sex and candy here - "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground

Love people are there. The smell of love is everywhere - "I've Got a Match" by They Might Be Giants
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 26th March 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

I can't help it. I'm Scorpio
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Who hasn't had sex in a suede jacket on a bag of ripe fruit? You're weird if you haven't.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Blog Entries

Fragrance and food are both sensual and are, often, both described by using evocative terms. I agree that some descriptions seem over the top, but I can also understand it as I have similar mental pictures that come to mind over certain frags (Gray Flannel and Armani among them, both of which would use the term "sex" but not "naughty").

However, I find it hard to relate to such specific descriptions because of not sharing that reviewer's life experience. Using evocative terms for shared experiences are more helpful: "it's like eating a ripe peach while laying on a lawn of mown grass after it rains" is likely to mean something to more people than referring to some shoe or slip dresses. IMHO.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    When describing the abstract sense that is called smell, people use imagery to evoke the feeling they get that the associate with smell. Most scientists will tell you that smell is directly linked to sex. So there you go though I've never described a scent as sexy.

Even in music it's mentioned.

I smell sex and candy here - "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground

Love people are there. The smell of love is everywhere - "I've Got a Match" by They Might Be Giants
    I won't argue with you, but what I will say is that for the purposes of a fragrance review, one shouldn't delve so far into imagery that they describe Eau Sauvage as reminding them of a computer programme they wrote back in college, why? because its meaningless to everyone except that person. I think there is a certain very fine line on which one side is where one uses imagery (even personal) to help describe a scent and the other just as an excuse to tell people they're horny or live out (type out) some kind of bizarre fantasty.

describing a scent as "sexy" is perfectly alright, or as the user above said as biting into a peach in a grassy field.. like I can get that

describing a fragrance as the smell of sex in a black mercedes with rose petals on the tan leather seats in late summer in malta just south of valletta near where the cactuses grow and the fabric of my skirt rips and releases skirt fabric smell and im wearing chanel lipstik #456 red and it smears a little bit on the seats and then theres a tan leather seat and lipstick accord and night blooming jasmines linger in the background

anyways you get it
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 26th March 2008 at 06:12 PM.

I'm smelling Musc Ravageur and having an intense orgasm right now, it reminds me of that time when I wore nothing but a leopard speedo in a French whorehouse, having sex with dozens of women, and possibly a man as well I'm not sure, on a red suede couch, as feral dogs danced around our oiled up and sweaty bodies, while dust from an old musty piano drifted above the room during the wild night of indecency and debauchery.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 26th March 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries

describing a fragrance as the smell of sex in a black mercedes with rose petals on the tan leather seats in late summer in malta just south of valletta near where the cactuses grow and the fabric of my skirt rips and releases skirt fabric smell and im wearing chanel lipstik #456 red and it smears a little bit on the seats and then theres a tan leather seat and lipstick accord and night blooming jasmines linger in the background
    And here I thought this wouldn't turn into a Greed Frich Tweed thread.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I'm smelling Musc Ravageur and having an intense orgasm right now, it reminds me of that time when I wore nothing but a leopard speedo in a French Whorehouse, having sex with dozens of women, and possibly a man as well I'm not sure, as feral dogs danced around our oiled up and sweaty bodies, with dust from an old musty piano drifting above the room during my wild night of indecency and debauchery.
    your version is much better than mine

Blog Entries

Instead of the Bulwer-Lytton competition for "Best worst first line of a novel" we should have a competition for most convoluted and impenetrable description of a scent. Somethinpositiv and smelly liquid's second one are contendahs. They both certainly made me laugh even if they didn't conjure up a scent memory.....I think.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

I'm smelling Musc Ravageur and having an intense orgasm right now, it reminds me of that time when I wore nothing but a leopard speedo in a French whorehouse, having sex with dozens of women, and possibly a man as well I'm not sure, on a red suede couch, as feral dogs danced around our oiled up and sweaty bodies, while dust from an old musty piano drifted above the room during the wild night of indecency and debauchery.
    HAHA!
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Who hasn't had sex in a suede jacket on a bag of ripe fruit? You're weird if you haven't.
    ha ha lol...freaking pissing on my self...funny stuff! But seriously, you are so right, bunch of prudes...i usually wear a leather jacket with an ascot and cowboy boots, but thats just me.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    It seems like every review I read (and forgive me for quoting this, whoever you are but I just had to quote something) theres at least a third of the reviews going something like this:

" On me, it smells like I just had great sex while wearing nothing but a suede jacket with bags of ripe apricots as pillows. It’s not refined on my skin…it’s all about tousled hair, slightly smeared eyeliner, slip dresses but with Louboutin shoes as usernameeditedout mentioned. It’s definitely not for everyday but it’s perfect when in a naughty mood. "

its like... where do people get this from? it seems like the words "sex" and "naughty" are two of the most used words in online perfume reviews. Everyone mixes sex in with the notes. Is it the musk?? do you people really smell like galaxolide when you have sex? a bag of apricots for pillows? like some of the stuff is just so unrealistic and fantasy-land ... that it really gets to me! and personally I think it gets in the way of the review as well

do these people never have sex and therefore live imaginary sex lives through perfume and the internet

or do they just have so much sex thats its all they can talk about / think about / describe things as ?

A BAG OF APRICOTS AS A PILLOW ??? TOUSLED HAIR??? LOUBOUTIN SHOES?? you can actually pinpoint the brand of shoes it smells like??

GAH!!

ps - im not just picking on this review, ive read way worse than apricots for a pillow! my apologies to the reviewer I just had to post at least one example.
    I loved that review. Sounds like SL Daim Blonde? Very creative imagery ; )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Ah c'mon, you're just quoting the brief, aren't you ?

There should be a version of "The Aristocrats" dealing with wildly lurid perfume description rather than a perverse vaudeville act, the punch lining always being "And what do you call this perfume?" "L'Aristocrate." It might become a tradition among professional noses.

Can you see JC Ellena, Villoresi, JP Guerlain, Polge, Giacobetti, Olivier Creed doing "L'Aristocrate"?
    [...] and a really fresh Haitian cucumber inserted up ***'s ass while he's wearing a peaty bespoke Harris Tweed jacket previously owned by Alfonso XII and smeared with Madonna's lipstick, and sucking on a lime laced with traditional infusion-technique banana extract, listening to Ravel's Bolero in a 1932 recording on a half-molten record pressed from natural ambergris." "And what do you call this fragrance?" "L'Aristocrate."
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Because we just are, BABY, YEAH! (meant to be said in Austin Powers accent)
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Such a lot of nonsense.

Sexual attraction has a lot to do with smell. Smell plays an important part in determining how attracted you are to other people. Therefore it makes perfect sense to review a perfume and describe its level of "sexyness".

Perfumes have been used, through the centuries, as weapons of seduction. Can't we acknowledge that in an online review?

Lucius

P.S. I read somewhere that eastern european men used to put handkerchiefs on their crotches, and then give the "perfumed" handkerchiefs to the ladies they wanted to seduce.

Our evolutionary ancestors "used" their noses to seek out potential partners. It was much cheaper back then!

Cool Re: why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual

Its just being fun and creative, and slightly perverse; obviously the reviewer has a sense of fashion. I mean, Louboutins are definitely sexy (whereas some scents make me think of a sorority girl wearing pink crocs and a knee length baggy skirt with greek letter t-shirt) . I think for a scent to spawn such imagery is a great accomplishment from the perfumer. I also think that review was of Daim Blonde.

ps - im not just picking on this review.....
    Ummm, seems like it to me.

While I can clearly see your point, rather than isolating a persons comments and then including them as the subject of your own thread to flame, you could've simply contacted this person privately and discussed your need for clarity on the matter you speak of.
    Just a thought.

I would like to see MORE sexually charged reviews, actually. This is just me, but I thought it was an interesting review. I'm actually curious to know what fragrance it could be. Sounds like the person was trying to describe a trashy/luxe scent.

This thread has far surpassed my expectations of it from just reading the title. Bravo, people!

I suggest a thread where the writer describes a fragrance in terms of a sexual situation, and the readers have to guess what scent it is. The winner writes the next description. The Daim Blond one is a great example. Who wants to go first?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    There should be a version of "The Aristocrats" dealing with wildly lurid perfume description rather than a perverse vaudeville act, the punch lining always being "And what do you call this perfume?" "L'Aristocrate." It might become a tradition among professional noses.

Can you see JC Ellena, Villoresi, JP Guerlain, Polge, Giacobetti, Olivier Creed doing "L'Aristocrate"?
    [...] and a really fresh Haitian cucumber inserted up ***'s ass while he's wearing a peaty bespoke Harris Tweed jacket previously owned by Alfonso XII and smeared with Madonna's lipstick, and sucking on a lime laced with traditional infusion-technique banana extract, listening to Ravel's Bolero in a 1932 recording on a half-molten record pressed from natural ambergris." "And what do you call this fragrance?" "L'Aristocrate."
    Good_Life, you just made my day!

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Ummm, seems like it to me.

While I can clearly see your point, rather than isolating a persons comments and then including them as the subject of your own thread to flame, you could've simply contacted this person privately and discussed your need for clarity on the matter you speak of.
    Just a thought.

I would like to see MORE sexually charged reviews, actually. This is just me, but I thought it was an interesting review. I'm actually curious to know what fragrance it could be. Sounds like the person was trying to describe a trashy/luxe scent.
    well it shouldnt be too hard to google a sentence out of the review as most people up there have. its daim blond.

I don't seek clarity on any of the points though, and as far as I know this person is not a member of basenotes (the review did not come from here). I just don't like the style of the review and above all I don't think it does anything to add to fragrance discourse (maybe turns some people on behind their computers and they do things we don't want to know about) and it does nothing for the evaluation of the fragance. Like I said, some imagery is okay, especially if it is something most people can identify with, but overtly sexual and snobberish imagery - Louboutin shoes do not smell any different than most other "luxurious leather heels" - assuming the tanning process etc is similar - but then again it would be at a certain price point - but thats getting into rediculous details! in any case leaving out the wording "louboutin" means that one doesnt have to put that pretentious brand name out there. The perfume has a soft, slightly suede like leather note in the drydown - it doesnt "smell like my versace heels laying around after hot sex". Thats what im getting at. But like I said earlier, its not just this review, its reviews like this in general, theyre everywhere.

perfume reviews: the new dirty mini-novels

PS - I really apologize to this person that ive quoted, whomever they are. but unfortunatley theyve perpetrated a real life example of what this thread is all about, so ive had to sacrifice a snippet of their writing as a demonstration.
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 26th March 2008 at 08:32 PM.

You forgot the fact that you were wearing a head dress made out of apricots and suspenders made out of grapes. Oh so sexual

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I read somewhere that eastern european men used to put handkerchiefs on their crotches, and then give the "perfumed" handkerchiefs to the ladies they wanted to seduce. .
    Now that's a completely new version of Mouchoir de Monsieur ! Can you find that? I only know that young western Europeans would use handkerchiefs to increase the bulge of their Levis
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I

anyways you get it

this guy is hilarious....vivid imagery too...

so you still havent told me.....which fragrance makes you have all those emotions?
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

As far as I'm concerned, it's all within the realms of individual writing styles which are given free reign on any internet forum. Some people are very creative and eloquent, others are dry and analytical. In terms of sex as a topic, well, it's pretty well tied up with fragrance as others have pointed out. It's an important part in many, if not most, people's lives. And it's not the only topic discussed - people talk about fragrances to work, job interviews, sport, etc...
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Sex is why we are all here. Who can argue with several eons of biology embedded in our DNA...
    Last edited by kbe; 26th March 2008 at 09:24 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's an important part in many, if not most, people's lives.
    Indeed! It's not like fragrance is one of the stranger things to reference in a sexual fashion. Frankly, people can associate just about anything with sex. My old neighbor once told my mom that using his new lawnmower was a sexual experience. People just like to talk about sex, I think!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

To me, the perfect scent replicates the greatest scent of them all; the smell of kissing the right girl's lips for hours. I've experienced this perfect chemistry several times in my life. When the chemistry between two people is right it produces the most magical fragrance of all through kissing. The only scent I've encountered that nearly duplicates this effect IMO is Acier Aluminium by Creed, which coincidentally, is my favorite scent of all.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

lmao!

i think we have quite a few mark leyner fans around here.

sex sells, baby!

btw- i went ahead and bought daim blond

cheers!
    ryan

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    To me, the perfect scent replicates the greatest scent of them all; the smell of kissing the right girl's lips for hours. I've experienced this perfect chemistry several times in my life. When the chemistry between two people is right it produces the most magical fragrance of all through kissing. The only scent I've encountered that nearly duplicates this effect IMO is Acier Aluminium by Creed, which coincidentally, is my favorite scent of all.

your perfect girl's mouth smells like rained upon metal? maybe instead of invoking ideas of great fragrance from you, she should urgently see a dentist instead.

P.S i am just joking.....dont get offended....Acier Aluminium is great
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 26th March 2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Instead of the Bulwer-Lytton competition for "Best worst first line of a novel" we should have a competition for most convoluted and impenetrable description of a scent. Somethinpositiv and smelly liquid's second one are contendahs. They both certainly made me laugh even if they didn't conjure up a scent memory.....I think.
    I nominate martin something spelled backwards...
    nitram_ something. His reviews are... well
    Last edited by irish; 26th March 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Talking Re: why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    P.S. I read somewhere that eastern european men used to put handkerchiefs on their crotches, and then give the "perfumed" handkerchiefs to the ladies they wanted to seduce.

I was a very sexual person WAY before I was a fragrance enthusiast. I think somewhere my former 2nd grade teacher still has my handerkerchief...but ONLY my handerkerchief. (At least I never gave her my apricots...)

To address the original question, fragrance enthusiasts enjoy many things that appeal to the senses. (i.e.: love, good food, etc. etc.) The off-topic thread attests to this.

Red face Re: why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual

Funny this should come up today. When I arrived at work this afternoon, I stopped by a coworker's desk with a big padded envelope of samples from L'Artisan. She dutifully ooh-ed and ahh-ed over Fou d'Absinthe, Mechant Loup, and L'Eau d'Artisan. This was probably the fourth or fifth set of samples I brought to her for inspection in the last month, so she knows her lines at this point.

Before I went off to my desk, however, she put her hand on my arm and said, "TRex, I think it's about time you found a new partner. I know you say you like being single, but your sublimation is showing."

I stood there blushing and repacking my samples. Could this be true? Am I going cologne crazy because of my backed-up laundry-list of unmet sexual and romantic needs?

Smell is a very powerful element in attraction. It's one of our least refined, animalic senses. Also, all of these fragrances we rhapsodize about are meant to be worn on the skin, the largest organ of the body and perhaps the most blatantly sensuous.

So, yeah, I think fragrance enthusiasts are horny bast*&ds, going through life with our senses gloriously alive and awake, always looking for that individual (or individuals) who ignite our chemistry and make our ambient levels of desire and sensual stimulation combust into full-on lust.

Whew. Typing that got me a little hot under the collar. My coworker is probably absolutely right.

Now I know why I get a little miffed when I where a new cologne that I like and no one comments me on it. They're inadvertently offending my sexual ego.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Before I went off to my desk, however, she put her hand on my arm and said, "TRex, I think it's about time you found a new partner. I know you say you like being single, but your sublimation is showing."
    That was deep.

I was a sex maniac, a libertine, for a very long time. Now I cooled down, and I am "semi-retired". Maybe the fragrances are compensating for the lack of sexual adventures. Maybe I just exchanged one obsession for the other.

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 27th March 2008 at 01:13 AM.

I was a highly sexual male long before I ever discovered a love for great scents...

my new hobby is just another crisp facet cut into the carbon of my decadent nature.

That said, it would naturally follow that people who love excellent and exotic fragrances would be very sexual people as taste and smell are hardwired into the limbic system of the brain. What a coincidence that the sex drive and pleasure centers of the brain are located there too...

ain't life grand!

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    I was a highly sexual male long before I ever discovered a love for great scents...

my new hobby is just another crisp facet cut into the carbon of my decadent nature.

That said, it would naturally follow that people who love excellent and exotic fragrances would be very sexual people as taste and smell are hardwired into the limbic system of the brain. What a coincidence that the sex drive and pleasure centers of the brain are located there too...

ain't life grand!

Ditto....1000%

well it shouldnt be too hard to google a sentence out of the review as most people up there have. its daim blond.
    Didn't need to google anything. By that description and the notes it could only be Daim Blond.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I understand how such a specific description has the potential to be obscure or inaccessible by many readers, but what's interesting in this thread is how many people saw that excerpt and immediately thought of Daim Blond. Guess that reviewer wasn't so far off... (and in my mind, Louboutin heels ooze sex appeal and definitely fit the rest of the scene, much more effectively and dramatically than just plain "shoes.")

Last edited by tang; 27th March 2008 at 06:44 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Sex is why we are all here.
    Love, sex - it's eternal topicality. It's life's essence.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't. Darkness - for the blinds.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir
    Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

i am going to fakepost this everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I understand how such a specific description has the potential to be obscure or inaccessible by many readers, but what's interesting in this thread is how many people saw that excerpt and immediately thought of Daim Blond. Guess that reviewer wasn't so far off... (and in my mind, Louboutin heels ooze sex appeal and definitely fit the rest of the scene, much more effectively and dramatically than just plain "shoes.")

they immediatley thought daim blond because of the notes. suede and apricots its a dead giveaway. trust me, the "louboutin shoes" bit didnt help anybody pinpoint the frag. at what?? 800-1500 dollars a pair, I'd say most people on here dont even know what they smell like. I have seen a pair yes in the boutique, but to actually register them as a seperate olfactory memory (immediatley identifiable from dior, versace, or any other type of heels by odour with the eyes closed I mean, like any of us could do with a
    peach and a banana) would need at least ... lets say a few in depth experiences with them. So im glad this perfume review speaks to like 0.000001% of the planet, of which most in that group are Louboutin factory workers.

The scene is exactly the problem!!
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 27th March 2008 at 09:23 PM.

they immediatley thought daim blond because of the notes. suede and apricots its a dead giveaway. trust me, the "louboutin shoes" bit didnt help anybody pinpoint the frag. at what?? 800-1500 dollars a pair, I'd say most people on here dont even know what they smell like. I have seen a pair yes in the boutique, but to actually register them as a seperate olfactory memory (immediatley identifiable from dior, versace, or any other type of heels by odour with the eyes closed I mean, like any of us could do with a
    peach and a banana) would need at least ... lets say a few in depth experiences with them. So im glad this perfume review speaks to like 0.000001% of the planet, of which most in that group are Louboutin factory workers.

The scene is exactly the problem!!
    I know that it was the suede and apricots that gave it away. I never meant to suggest that the Louboutin name helped identify Daim Blond, or that I would even recall any sort of olfactory memory specific to a particular brand of shoes. My point about the shoes was that, non-fashionista though I am, I (and many others) somewhere picked up a recognition of Louboutins as sexy, and that detail seemed perfectly in keeping with the rest of the scene the reviewer was trying to set, whether you care for that description or not. As with the tousled hair, smeared eyeliner, and slip dress, the Louboutins were meant to be referenced as visual/mood details rather than olfactory.

Now if the reviewer had specified Chanel eyeliner, then I would think the level of detail was a little much.
    Last edited by tang; 28th March 2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I don't have synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia), but maybe people who incorporate visual/verbal descriptions of objects unrelated to the scent are describing what they're experiencing. But you're right, smellyliquid. Even synesthesia is very personal, and what one person may "see" with a smell may be entirely different from what someone else "sees" with a smell. In that respect, a description of actual "scents" is more useful to everyone else who is un-synesthetic.

I can't believe I read this far in this thread. I must be similarly deprived! But I will never look at apricots the same way again!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual? Maybe because our passions (perfume, love, sex) all activate our ventral tegmental area which is closely tied to the limbic system.

"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Because most of the posters on here are men?

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I can't help it. I'm Scorpio
    +1. Hell yea! Lol.

One reason is that enjoying perfumes is a sign of enjoying one of our senses, another sense, just as good, if not better, is sex.
    I can imagine a lot of fragrance enthusiasts are foodies too, whether in wines,baked goods or pastries. Another phenomenal sense.
    Now imagine combing them, along with sight.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 19th February 2012 at 04:14 AM.
    for swap/sale:

In my opinion, it may also be due to the fact that fragrance is almost involuntarily sexual, any fragrance might be at some time or another, as sexual, for whichever reason, it's highly personal as it is highly diversified why it happens perceive fragrances like this
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

...for most of these parfumista's wearing perfumes is an 'attempt to exert attraction to the opposite(or same in case gay) sex'.
    The most visited and replied thread here on Basenotes' male fragrance discussion is: 'Which scent gets you the most female compliments?' So it is not strange many fragrancefreaks are 'sexual'.
    One can also say that the visitors of Basenotes are a miniature reflection of normal society.

OP makes a good point. But those sexual abstract reviews are HILARIOUS so I don't mind them.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Funny this should come up today. When I arrived at work this afternoon, I stopped by a coworker's desk with a big padded envelope of samples from L'Artisan. She dutifully ooh-ed and ahh-ed over Fou d'Absinthe, Mechant Loup, and L'Eau d'Artisan. This was probably the fourth or fifth set of samples I brought to her for inspection in the last month, so she knows her lines at this point.

I stood there blushing and repacking my samples. Could this be true? Am I going cologne crazy because of my backed-up laundry-list of unmet sexual and romantic needs?

Smell is a very powerful element in attraction. It's one of our least refined, animalic senses. Also, all of these fragrances we rhapsodize about are meant to be worn on the skin, the largest organ of the body and perhaps the most blatantly sensuous.

So, yeah, I think fragrance enthusiasts are horny bast*&ds, going through life with our senses gloriously alive and awake, always looking for that individual (or individuals) who ignite our chemistry and make our ambient levels of desire and sensual stimulation combust into full-on lust.

Whew. Typing that got me a little hot under the collar. My coworker is probably absolutely right.
    I think you should go to the nearest conference room and have some fun with your coworker! lol

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    OP makes a good point. But those sexual abstract reviews are HILARIOUS so I don't mind them.
    Agree. They make for a good laugh.

Jimmy Choos smell better than Louboutins. Though my personal favourite pair are my YSL Trib Toos

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post

ain't life grand!
    +1!

People who speak in metaphors should shampoo my crotch.
    -Jack Nicholson

There are few things as toxic as a bad metaphor. You can't think without metaphors.
    -Mary Catherine Bateson

While one man can discover a certain thing by himself, another is never able to understand it, even if taught by means of all possible expressions and metaphors, and during a long period; his mind can in no way grasp it, his capacity is insufficient for it.
    -Maimonides

Writers who have nothing to say always strain for metaphors to say it in.
    -Florence King
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I know!!! I like it when the reviewers just list the chemicals they smell in logical order.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582