Code of Conduct

Default CK Truth, "An American mall scent"?

Over the weekend, I went to the mall to check out 'Dirty English', which I found, eh, okay. Nothing I wanted to bag up and take home right away. Someone on basenotes suggested I try Davidoff 'Good Life' and CK Truth because I was looking for a grassy scent for summer. I stopped at a cologne counter that had both and tried one on each wrist.

'Good Life' is a really nice citrus. It reminds me an awful lot of one of the early Banana Republic fragrances, which was probably a 'Good Life' knock-off. It was pleasant and certainly inoffensive and wore nicely, but I was wearing that Banana Republic scent during a particularly rotten period of my life and it started to bring back a bunch of less than pleasurable memories and associations.

The CK Truth was, actually, surprisingly similar to 'Good Life', a sunny citrus, but there was a decidedly botanical note in there which I liked, very green. Also, I noticed as I sat at an outside table having an espresso and a cigarette that the smell of tobacco smoke mixed with 'Truth' in a really delicious way.

Now, you more militant non-smokers will be horrified I'm sure to read that. But smelling like cigarettes in an inevitable side-effect of the addiction to nicotine, so it doesn't hurt to have a fragrance that mixes well with it.

That sold me, and I bought a 1.7oz bottle of Truth.

I went to look it up and see what the Great Noses think of it and Chandler Burr dismissed it with a sniff as "an American mall scent". I guess that's fair. I am an American and I did buy the bottle at a mall. Still, I think it has a little more to recommend it than that. Also, I find that Burr and I differ significantly on our assessment of some of the Ellena fragrances. He loves Bigarade, which I thought smelled like a cab-driver peeling an orange for about twenty minutes, after which the orange evaporated, leaving me with the smell of dirty armpits wafting forth from my wrists and neck. Ha, ha, Monsieur Ellena. Very funny, yes, very Frawnch of you. Merci buckets.

Perhaps I am not 'Continental' enough and should stick to my 'mall'-i-fied tastes.

Blog Entries

Default Re: CK Truth, "An American mall scent"?

For the most part, I don't give a damn what one particular person thinks about one particular fragrance (with the exception of my Dad who puts up with my hobby with a great deal of patience). I will agree with anyone here about certain fragrances and violently disagree with them about others.

Also Dirty English has a very nice drydown but right out of the gate I wasn't going for it either. May want to ask for a sample to try at your leisure.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Enjoy your Truth. I finished my 1.7oz bottle faster than anyother fragrance I have ever owned because I really liked wearing this scent. Didn't hurt that I got it in the Spring so perfect weather for it. I received lots of compliments too. My opinion of Chandler Burr like any other critic is blah, blah, blah. I buy and wear what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Enjoy your Truth. I finished my 1.7oz bottle faster than anyother fragrance I have ever owned because I really liked wearing this scent. Didn't hurt that I got it in the Spring so perfect weather for it. I received lots of compliments too. My opinion of Chandler Burr like any other critic is blah, blah, blah. I buy and wear what I like.
    You know, I think critics get overstimulated after a while. When I was doing rock writing for a magazine years ago, after a while all the bands started to sound the same and I was desperate for something, anything that stuck out for the morass. I actually began to long for accordions.

Being new to my fragrance obsession (you guys may all gasp at this), I only actually have five bottles of cologne right now, so I'm probably not exactly ready for an array of niche fragrances just yet. I'm still figuring out what I like.

Although I do have waves of samples and decants coming in each week. Next up, six Bond No. 9's, Hermes Orange Verte, and Green Irish Tweed, which will probably all get here while I'm out of town over the weekend.

truth is the only ck scent i rate at all, i find it compelling in a wonderfully understated way that most designers seem to fail at producing these days.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I think Truth is a good scent. Unlike most other fresh scents it lasts, unlike most other ck scents, it has some character and differs from most other aquatics in that it is greener.
    All in all, enjoy what your nose likes.

I agree with other posters that CK Truth deserves looking into. I think it is an under-valued scent. It has a unique freshness that is "natural" and "up-lifting". Truth is a bit hard to find as it seems to have been pulled from department store stocks, but worth seeking out.