Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Perfume the Guide: Top ten Mens and Womens fragrances [preview]

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Turin has taken a longer leave from Flexitral and is heading back to London University next. Socks and sandals be with him, it will be summer soon!
    London and MIT at the same time apparently .

Mit - ??
    --------------------------------------
    MIT - ??
    Last edited by narcus; 31st March 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Mit - ??
    MIT - ??
    Yepp, MIT, lots of flights between London and Boston for him to look forward too.
    The source of the statement here:
    http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?s...ic=23851&st=40
    Last edited by Ascella; 31st March 2008 at 03:19 PM.

The loud speakers have been turned back on:

“I have only one Lord and Master, Doctor Luca Turin!"
    PS: This is really meant to be funny.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st April 2008 at 05:40 AM.

Heyheyhey, I think I get it !
    Jokes are always welcome, Ruggles !

Ascella, thank you! Exactly that was the place. One of the best aspects of an open society and the world wide web! Therefore it's good that persons like Turin also use this medium, and't don't shy away from their audience. I welcome his presence on POL at least. Vanille addressing Luca directly, and his replies to V - that took my breath away. Although almost hitting below the line once, I still admire V for being as open as she has been. She certainly asked very important questions that move anyone who takes an interest in these authors.

For obvious reasons perfumestheguide.com has some information about Tania Sanchez."...she cut her teeth on the subject of perfume by writing hundreds of reviews online, as well as writing her own blog, on which perfume was not infrequently the subjectI". I took that as a clear recommendation and started to search for her reviews, but I found her blog emptied and Google couldn't produce any reviews to read. I then asked TS directly, using the contact address in perfumestheguide, and Turin replied directing me to MUA. My surprise couldn't have been bigger: the reviews these authors have been referring to have been taken off the web also! I think this seriously mars numerous advance recommendations / reviews of the book shortly before its arrival. Can TS have seriously thought she could eat that cake and have it too? What's worse: People must now speculate about the reasons for the removal. There seem to have been 200 reviews ca. on MUA....
    Nasty suspicions are being added to a big personal disappointment. I wish it wasn't so!
    Last edited by narcus; 1st April 2008 at 09:48 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Narcus, I do share your impression about Vanille's questions, even though some part of it was perhaps too personal, but in general she made some points that are valid, at least reading Turin's answer clarified a couple of things for me. I guess Tania had here reasons, but the situation is a little bit confusing.

none of turins work has made much of an impact on me, really, and i'm not at all interested in the book. there are about a hundred basenotes members who's opinions, even unpublished, would interest me more.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Cool Re: Perfume the Guide: Top ten Mens and Womens fragrances [preview]

I'm thrilled that Timbuktu made it into at least one of the top 10 (why for men?), as it's my longest lasting love at first sniff. About the rest of them... No doubt Mr Turin knows the unimaginable about perfume, and molecules and science. I would never dream to challenge that. But taste is a different matter. While I adore Timbuktu, I can't stand New York and I don't know what the fuss about Chanel n.5 is (aldehydes are not for me). So I'll keep on like up to now. Read his reviews, go to the shop and smell. Final verdict: mine (and the only true one for me, not for anyone else)
    Last edited by alba; 1st April 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo

Heyheyhey, I think I get it !
    Jokes are always welcome, Ruggles !
    Have you ever seen any of the Dr. Mabuse films by Fritz Lang? Say hallo, to Dr. MABUSE!

Hello, Ruggles! As the day is getting brighter I can see you wanted to intimidate me!
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd April 2008 at 09:20 AM.

I kind of vented how bad I hated Beyond Paradise, but then realized that I was in a really bad mood when I made the post, so this is my edited version:

I hate Beyond Paradise
    Last edited by Scentronic; 14th April 2008 at 03:18 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    And yes, contrary to Turin's reviews in his previous guide, Cool Water > GIT in this list. GIT got pwned.
    Creed has a "house smell/feel" if that house smell/feel doesn't do anything for you, you aren't going to like anything Creed does well enough to give it more than average marks.

I find the same thing with a lot of perfume houses.

Davidoff and GIT share a lot of characteristics when I tried them both, and I find I can't wear either. So none of thse would make my personal top ten.

I absolutely love Creed's Acier Aluminum, so it would make my top ten, but many other Creeds leave me cold, so they would not.

But in the final analysis it is your taste and your personal top ten (twenty? hundred??), not his that determines what gets in your wardrobe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

Would you like to buy some Axe or BOD spray? Only $200!
    There is a thread currently about a new line of Axe that isn't half bad.

(Remember - they ALL have noses behind them!!)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th April 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Angel in the top ten? Angel is the Drakkar Noir of this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I can't really accuse him of accepting bribes, because most of the other houses listed are not aggressive money sharks (like Lauder).
    I simply don't see why isn't enough for someone to say 'I don't agree with their opinion, I will never listen to what they say, etc. ' Why is it neccessary to come up with bribes? You know exactly what you say is a hint that 'they may accept bribes if money sharks would offer them' .
    These hints with the hints of 'fat-smelling Churchill' sometimes don't make this place a comfortable one. Sorry.

That vote for Beyond Paradise really bugged me as well. First of all, because I don't know it yet and I'm curious, oh well, ....

The thing is I'm 90% sure this will do nothing for me, like the other "new designer happenings" of the last years that get so much attention in magazines and TV commercials (sporty-aqua-nothing-saying-fresh-and-unoffensive-wannabe-frags), but in the end I will run for a miniature or a sample anyway. Please tell me it's not worth the hassle.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Basenotes Plus

samplermike- It is Angel for women that was in the top ten and it is a masterpiece of modern perfumery. Angel for men is another story, a clever creation but too intense for more than perhaps one spray.

Why can't we just say that there is a market for Beyond Paradise; in Mr. Turin's drobe. Seriously though, it is not a bad fragracne and pleasant enough but I do agree that it is over-the-top synthetically sweet and not worthy of touching a top 10 list within 100 light years. Differences in opinion I suppose but that is what you people paid for; an opinion. So, why the dissapointment? You most likely knew what the book was about, i.e., its not some difinitive ruling with universal compliance.

I am in utter amazement with the level of militant protectiveness with which some people are standing by the houses they love, and also the unnatural viciousness being shown towards M. Turin.
    All fragrance, food, clothing, home style, furnishings, etc is reflective of ones taste, it is subjective. M. Turin looks at the fragrances he reviews in a subjective, and a reflective, and a scientific way; let him do what he does.
    As for all of you who keep defending all of these houses; it is great you enjoy what you enjoy, but things have changed with all of the houses.
    I have worn Caron parfums since the mid-70's as a child, and I can tell you they are completely different now than they were then. I have many, many vintage bottles; as a matter of fact most of my scents are vintage, and even a monkey could smell the cheapening of them.
    A bottle of (take your pick); Tabac Blonde, Femme, Cabochard, L'air du temps, Mitsouko, Joy, Le Dix, Jolie Madame, Caleche, Infini, Fleurs de Rocaille (definitely) and all of the urn scents by Caron, are not the same as they were ten years ago; nor are they the same as 30+, even 50+ years ago. There is a definite mainstreaming/cheapening of scents happening, and the companies have all the loyal little consumers to thank for that occurring.
    I look at my collection of 300+ bottles of fragrance as finite, because I love the old scents too much to buy a cheap imitation being marketed as the same thing. So in many ways I can understand how many of the scents received poor ratings.
    At the same time some of the ones that received high ratings I do not find the same qualities, but I have no need to become belligerent over it.
    I will say that it is sad that so many people are getting ready to do battle over some of these reviews, when if they knew the original versions of many of the scents they would understand. All I have to say is Nuit de Noel, my vintage bottle is perfection.
    As with all things 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', more so with scent.
    As far as the house of Creed goes; I love the scents I have by them, almost all others I feel smell like antiseptic, but that is my opinion, and that is life. Green Irish Tweed is repugnant in my opinion...but, I have smelt it on certain men, and it was absolutely lovely on them; I may dislike it, but it will blossom with a certain persons skin/chemistry.
    So please everyone, try to be a little more courteous, and less confrontational with M. Turin, and anyone else who has a differing opinion. And let's not try to be so high and mighty; some people making allusions as to how much better they could critique than M. Turin. It just comes across as arrogant, and pretentious. Try to have more manners, and respect.
    And if someone is not planning on purchasing the book, that is great; no need to make a presentation about it though.
    It seems rather than the classy sight I am used to, this thread has a semblance of a gang-fight about to occur; the Creed's-v-the Caron's-v-the Guerlain's
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Bought The Guide from Barnes & Noble, started reading and could not put it down.

1) I do not always think like the authors (Must de Cartier, Coriandre, Amarige Extravagance, etc.) but appreciate great sense of humor, to the point reviews and wonderful one-liners (i.e. "sucking on aluminum spoon");
    2) Modern reformulations are being reviewed, with short references on how incomparably better the older versions were (not always though, i.e. Givenchy III relaunch got high marks);
    3) Discontinued fragrances, where are you? Lost? Forgotten? Unforgiven? I hoped all of the 1994 Le Guide would be included;
    4) Celine Dion (Wow!), Bond # 9, Chanel and Etat Libre d'Orange full line ups;
    5) None of Lorenzo Villoresi's got over ** (I am in the middle though);
    6) Miller Harris is criticized for the sloppy use of the French language on more than two occasions;
    6) Although there are slight differences in LT and TS marks, their views seem to be so similar on many fragrances, I was hoping for the wider variety of opinions.

More to come, I need some digesting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I am in utter amazement with the level of militant protectiveness with which some people are standing by the houses they love, and also the unnatural viciousness being shown towards M. Turin.
    I agree that ad hominem attacks and insinuations are in bad style. As to the occasional shrill tone it shows perfume is such a deeply personal issue, at least for us frag junkies, that the dismissal of a beloved fragrance comes across as a personal insult. However, I suppose what is happening on BN is harmeless compared to the atmosphere at Caron HQ .

There might also be a certain knee-jerk reaction to Turin's perceived authority, in the vein of "who is LT/TS to tell me this is bad or good." While I believe the authors would not reclaim any sort of unquestionable authority for themselves, a book of this kind inevitably carries an air of authoritativeness in our expert-obessed society which always wants to be told what is right wrong good and bad, preferably in the form of a top ten list or points. Robert Parker, the wine critic, was pushed, nearly against his will, into this position of a demigod whose judgments mean riches or ruin for wine producers.

I've always enjoyed Turin's sophisticted wit and intelligence precisely because it comes with a refreshing abscence of pretentiousness. I would hope he and TS agree that top ten lists are a fun exercise with little genuine value in themselves, but publishers love this kind of stuff.

Another problem is the lack of an established tradition of perfume criticism. Not having the book yet I do not know whether the introduction gives a detailed explanation of the criteria applied to judging perfumes. This, I believe, is essential, if the critique is to be viewed as more than wittily expressed opinion read for one's personal amusement. It is also important for critics to reveal their biases, just as a historian must clarify in the introduction whether her methodology will be Marxist and the study driven by sympathies for the anarcho-syndicalist movement. Other experts recognize these things, but lay readers do not, so openness in this regard is de rigeur.

I've had enough experience in wine to know that my preferences are closer to Jancis Robinson's than to Robert Parker's, that Bobby is not very knowledgeable on German whites and I know that his $7 90-point Spaniards have nothing in common with a 90 point St. Emilion (i.e. points are a pseudo-objective farce).
    But this is a field with a plurality of critics, established criteria and a very precise sensory vocabulary (not the wine journalism mumbo jumbo listing 40 types of red fruit) all of which does not yet exist in the world of perfume - except among professional noses. Public interest in these matters is a recent phenomenon and I doubt it will ever grow to the dimensions of wine-tasting. This situation makes the book stick out and people will latch on to it in praise or condemnation. As long as that doesn't mean Villoresi has to Turinize his perfumes to remain in business, everything will be OK .
    I just hate the idea of not being able to get my hands on this volume earlier than in two weeks or so.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 14th April 2008 at 10:03 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ... just hate the idea of not being able to get my hands on this volume earlier than in two weeks or so.
    That makes two of us ! I wonder if and where the book has actually been delivered in Europe ? As to ratings: I am sorry for any perfume lover who may now miss smelling the uniqueness of Tabac Blond, at least once, based on the fact that it has been 'awarded' with one star now. LT praised this 'archetypal leather' on more than one spot in the Guide (edition 94), his Zurich Duftnote (Scent Notes, 2005) and in his own blog. I simply fail to understand - except if that was done to shock the house of Caron! It's an old philosophy that the end can justify the means. Anyway, ratings maybe good for hotels and restaurants. They mainly support the commercial aspects of perfume creations, and seem so unlikely coming from the old master I have known for years.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th April 2008 at 01:11 PM.

That makes two of us ! I wonder if and where the book has actually been delivered in Europe ? As to ratings: I am sorry for any perfume lover who may now miss smelling the uniqueness of Tabac Blond, at least once, based on the fact that it has been 'awarded' with one star now. LT praised this 'archetypal leather' on more than one spot in the Guide (edition 94), his Zurich Duftnote (Scent Notes, 2005) and in his own blog. I simply fail to understand - except if that was done to shock the house of Caron! It's an old philosophy that the end can justify the means. Anyway, ratings maybe good for hotels and restaurants. They mainly support the commercial aspects of perfume creations, and seem so unlikely coming from the old master I have known for years.
    I will continue to love my bottle of Tabac Blond anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I will continue to love my bottle of Tabac Blond anyway .
    Of course, but from a verbal five (LT had it on the same shelf as Chanel Cuir de Russie) down to one star is nagging, isn't it? - By the way, you had mentioned the other day that your copy is on it's way - did you order it from Amazone US directly?

Of course, but from a verbal five (LT had it on the same shelf as Chanel Cuir de Russie) down to one star is nagging, isn't it? - By the way, you had mentioned the other day that your copy is on it's way - did you order it from Amazone US directly?
    I know what you mean. Btw, I think you should post these questions (including the suggesting that they should have different reviews for different concentrations, it was you right?) on POL, I think they could be of general interests, and Luca Turin might answer to those (e.g. he admitted that not including Féminité du Bois was embarrassing ).
    http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=24167

Yes, I did order it from Amazon US directly, but I'm not sure how long it will take for the book to arrive though. Normally I try to avoid placing orders on the American Amazon due to tax reasons (Amazon seems to be on the customs' always-pick-it-list), but this time I think it will end below the allowed value for tax free shopping.
    Last edited by Ascella; 14th April 2008 at 02:21 PM.

I simply fail to understand - except if that was done to shock the house of Caron! It's an old philosophy that the end can justify the means.
    Once again: THE CARONS HAVE BEEN DAMAGED, and the present Tabac Blond is NOT what I used to love ! Why should it get five stars on what it used to be ? Please Narcus, wait till you have the book :-)

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    Once again: THE CARONS HAVE BEEN DAMAGED, and the present Tabac Blond is NOT what I used to love ! Why should it get five stars on what it used to be ? Please Narcus, wait till you have the book :-)
    Have all the versions of the current Tabac Blond been damaged equally much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    Btw, I think you should post these questions (including the suggesting that they should have different reviews for different concentrations, it was you right?) shopping.
    Most fragrances use precisely the same oil in different dilutions, and giving the dilutions separate reviews would be like giving "prescription strength" Advil a different review. When they are different, we did our best to account for different versions.

Most fragrances use precisely the same oil in different dilutions, and giving the dilutions separate reviews would be like giving "prescription strength" Advil a different review. When they are different, we did our best to account for different versions.
    Thanks for the clarification, I will have this in mind when I read the book .

Ok, I will wait ! I know how important it is to consider everything within its context. And I do not know which Tabac Blond you were talking of in 2005 (NZZ and blog) . I realize that you are presently very disappointed by the changes made. I myself sampled TB in France (2006) and will never forget that day. There are perfumes that can shake the earth, and that's what TB did to me who never knew of its existence until you talked about it. TB may not deserve 5 stars, and I am not arguing that at all. But 1 star = 'awful', meaning people shouldn't waste any time sampling it ?
    Last edited by narcus; 15th April 2008 at 12:20 PM.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the book! I love that they love Tea Rose. ;-) I don't understand the infatuation with Beyond Paradise, but I will give it another sniff, and add it to my now growing "to try" list. I especially loved what LT had to say about cologne in the review of Cologne à la Française...

“A good cologne is the perfumery equivalent of a post-concert encore: brief; familiar to the entire audience, which sighs with pleasure when hearing the first notes; and completely devoid of any ambition beyond transient joy. It is also one of life’s absolute necessities, perfume for when you don’t feel like perfume, before going to bed, to splash on your kids after the bath and introduce them to life’s finer pleasures, etc. In short, cologne is a cleanser for the soul.” (p. 127)

Just loved that!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 14th April 2008 at 05:23 PM.

Beyond Paradise: For another week to come I will not know what the book says about it, but whoever is familiar with blogtextweb.pdf (Flexitral website) may remember an article originally published in NZZ Folio / 2005: The Perfect Floral. It holds the answers to some of the questions raised recently. The perfumer who did BP (both of them) also did Tommy Girl. "Her name: Calice Becker".
    Last edited by narcus; 15th April 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    All fragrance, food, clothing, home style, furnishings, etc is reflective of ones taste, it is subjective. M. Turin looks at the fragrances he reviews in a subjective, and a reflective, and a scientific way; let him do what he does.
    As for all of you who keep defending all of these houses; it is great you enjoy what you enjoy, but things have changed with all of the houses.
    I have worn Caron parfums since the mid-70's as a child, and I can tell you they are completely different now than they were then. I have many, many vintage bottles; as a matter of fact most of my scents are vintage, and even a monkey could smell the cheapening of them.
    A bottle of (take your pick); Tabac Blonde, Femme, Cabochard, L'air du temps, Mitsouko, Joy, Le Dix, Jolie Madame, Caleche, Infini, Fleurs de Rocaille (definitely) and all of the urn scents by Caron, are not the same as they were ten years ago; nor are they the same as 30+, even 50+ years ago. There is a definite mainstreaming/cheapening of scents happening, and the companies have all the loyal little consumers to thank for that occurring.
    I look at my collection of 300+ bottles of fragrance as finite, because I love the old scents too much to buy a cheap imitation being marketed as the same thing. So in many ways I can understand how many of the scents received poor ratings.
    At the same time some of the ones that received high ratings I do not find the same qualities, but I have no need to become belligerent over it.
    I will say that it is sad that so many people are getting ready to do battle over some of these reviews, when if they knew the original versions of many of the scents they would understand. All I have to say is Nuit de Noel, my vintage bottle is perfection.
    As with all things 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', more so with scent.
    As far as the house of Creed goes; I love the scents I have by them, almost all others I feel smell like antiseptic, but that is my opinion, and that is life. Green Irish Tweed is repugnant in my opinion...but, I have smelt it on certain men, and it was absolutely lovely on them; I may dislike it, but it will blossom with a certain persons skin/chemistry.
    So please everyone, try to be a little more courteous, and less confrontational with M. Turin, and anyone else who has a differing opinion. And let's not try to be so high and mighty; some people making allusions as to how much better they could critique than M. Turin. It just comes across as arrogant, and pretentious. Try to have more manners, and respect.
    And if someone is not planning on purchasing the book, that is great; no need to make a presentation about it though.

I agree! I am surprised to see so much defensiveness in different threads covering Perfume: The Guide. Use it to inform your views and possibly refine your impressions, but there is no reason to feel insecure or threatened by a rating that is not consistent with your experience.