Code of Conduct

Default Looking for classy evening fragrance

Hi. I'm new, so I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Johan, a 19-year old university student from Sweden. That's me in my avatar.
    I usually stay with the same fragrance for a long time, for consistency. Right now, I'm using Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.
    However, I'd like another fragrance for those special occasions (evenings and so on).
    As I said, I have Chanel Platinum Egoiste for day wear - but I'd like something even more special and unique on evenings and other occasions. Any tips?
    Preferably something classy, exclusive and refined - not some teenish latest-fashion-smell.

I know fragrances are very individual, but if I can get some tips and ideas, I can go to my nearest fragrance store and try them out, or else order samples from online boutiques.

Thanks.
    /Johan
    Last edited by xian; 27th March 2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Mens omnia vincit

Default Re: Looking for classy evening fragrance

Hi Johan, Welcome to Basenotes!

You should try the original Egoiste, by Chanel. It is a lot different than the Platinum version. Great for evenings and special occasions and very classy, in my opinion.

Sur la Plage

Hi Johann,

Welcome to Basenotes.

One that I would recommend, and probably a lot of others, would be Creed Bois du Portugal (you may see it referred to as BdP on some posts) - which would be considered a "niche" fragrance. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it.

However, if you are looking for more affordable, mainstream scents I would suggest:

- Calvin Klein - Obession for Men (some people refer to this as a poor man's BdP. I don't - I think it stands on it's own merits)
    - Gucci - Envy for Men
    - Jean-Paul Gaultier - Gaultier 2
    - Lolita Lempicka - Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    - Michael Kors - Michael Kors for Men
    - Narciso Rodriguez - Narciso Rodriguez for Men
    - Rochas - Lui
    - Yves Saint-Laurent - M7
    - Yves Saint-Laurent - Kouros
    - Yves Saint-Laurent - Opium pour Homme
    - Christian Dior - Dior Homme
    - Guerlain - Heritage

Definitely sample before you purchase.

Good luck with your search!

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the suggestions. Price doesn't really matter - it's a long-term purchase anyway, so whatever I buy is going to last a long time. Might as well spend a little extra on it, if you ask me.

What do you think about Creed's Millesime Imperial?

Also, do you know any online boutiques where you can order samples?
    Last edited by xian; 27th March 2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Mens omnia vincit

For samples in the EU.

You can go for Les Senteurs http://www.lessenteurs.com/ (£2.50 a sample)
    You can try Aus Libe zum Duft http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ (3 Euros a sample)
    And then there's TPC (The Perfumed Court) theperfumedcourt.com/ (Varying prices)

Blog Entries

I'd second YSL Kouros. I don't have any experience with MI but I do own Unforgivable which is a carbon copy if you're to believe some of the fellow Basenoters. I'm sure it's not identical but I still don't see it as being any more classy than Platinum Egoiste. Actually that's one of the reasons I just sprang for a bottle of PE, because I was lacking elegant scents.

So some suggestions I'd throw out would be

Yves Saint Laurent - Kouros
    Hugo Boss - Baldessarini
    Aramis - Havana
    EDIT: Versace - The Dreamer
    Last edited by bluesoul; 27th March 2008 at 07:30 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by xian View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Price doesn't really matter - it's a long-term purchase anyway, so whatever I buy is going to last a long time. Might as well spend a little extra on it, if you ask me.

What do you think about Creed's Millesime Imperial?

Also, do you know any online boutiques where you can order samples?
    Then I would personally go for the Bois du Portugal!

I think Millesime Imperial is OK. I wouldn't consider it a "classy evening fragrance" - more of an everyday casual citrus fragrance. A lot of people think it has similarities to Sean Jean Unforgivable. I certainly don't put it in the same league/class as Bois du Portugal.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bois du Portugal it is, then.

How much perfume does one typically expend with one spritz? And subsequently, how long can I expect, say, one milliliter of perfume to last?
    Last edited by xian; 27th March 2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Mens omnia vincit

Sur la Plage

Bois du Portugal it is, then.

How much perfume does one typically expend with one spritz? And subsequently, how long can I expect, say, one milliliter of perfume to last?
    I hope you mean you are going to try Bois du Portugal, not go buy a bottle of it right away just because I like it. Please test/sample a variety of fragrances to see what you like - your tastes may be completely different then mine.

Vivek mentioned the Perfumed Court. They have some very good "Beginner Sampler Packs" where you get a variety of different type scents from different fragrance houses. I would recommend one or more of them so you can get exposure/experience with a number of fragrances, and then make a decision from there.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I hope you mean you are going to try Bois du Portugal.
    Of course - forgive my ambiguity.

That seems like a good idea. Originally, my plan was to order samples of the fragrances suggested in this thread, and add a few of my own choosing. But I guess a beginner's kit would be good as well.
    Mens omnia vincit

+1 on Egoiste. I actually find it more refined and elegant than BdP wich is more bossy.

dior homme, versace dreamer, armani code, and gucci envy. their all pretty classy and around $45-50 for a 1.7 bottle.

This is what I ended up ordering samples of (from theperfumedcourt.com):

* Chanel Egoiste
    * Creed Bois du Portugal
    * Creed Royal English Leather
    * Czech & Speake No. 88
    * Tom Ford Black Orchid
    * Yves Saint Laurent M7

I read some threads here on Basenotes about men wearing the marketed-for-women Black Orchid, so I wanted to try it out for myself.
    Also, I want to test a rose fragrance, and No. 88 seemed like a good candidate.
    And I ordered a sample of Royal English Leather - I simply must try a fragrance that has existed for 228 years.
    Mens omnia vincit

YSL - Rive Gauche
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Sur la Plage

This is what I ended up ordering samples of (from theperfumedcourt.com):

* Chanel Egoiste
    * Creed Bois du Portugal
    * Creed Royal English Leather
    * Czech & Speake No. 88
    * Tom Ford Black Orchid
    * Yves Saint Laurent M7

I read some threads here on Basenotes about men wearing the marketed-for-women Black Orchid, so I wanted to try it out for myself.
    Also, I want to test a rose fragrance, and No. 88 seemed like a good candidate.
    And I ordered a sample of Royal English Leather - I simply must try a fragrance that has existed for 228 years.
    Johann,

I think those are all EXCELLENT choices! I do not think you will be disappointed. The hard part now will be trying to choose one of them

BTW - I wear Black Orchid and love it.

Take care,

Joe

I'll second Michael for Men by Michael Kors, just stunning as an evening scent...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

for my money nothing beats Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme edt.

welcome to Basenotes Xian!
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th March 2008 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    for my money nothing beats Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme edt.

welcome to Basenotes Xian!
    Very nice, that's my powerhouse frag.

Topicstarter, though, is only 19 years old. I think Van Cleef & Arpels will make him 49.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 28th March 2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Here is the thing...

You will probably need at least two scents. Heavier scents like BdP & Michael Kors won't go over very well in the warm summer months. So I would advise you to pick up one for cooler weather and one for warmer weather...

Here are a few suggestions:

Cold Weather:
    C&S - No. 88
    Michael Kors
    Bvlgari Black
    Nicole Miller for Men
    Paul Smith London

Warm Weather:
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Narciso Rogriguez for Him
    C&S - Cuba

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Very nice, that's my powerhouse frag.

Topicstarter, though, is only 19 years old. I think Van Cleef & Arpels will make him 49.
    He could get by with a short spray or two. So as not to overwhelm his own natural pheromones. At 19 he's at his sexual peak performance wise. That's why anything that smothers that smells 'old man' Shit when I was 19 I went without and let my body which....

wait... no one wants to hear this.

Bois de Portugal is kind of old man too. At 57 I can pull it off. About the only thing I can pull... off!

Chanel Pour monsieur is as classy and cool as it gets...

Good call on the Black Orchid.

I'd add Baldasserini Ambre, John Varvatos, Aigner Black and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. All these 4 work perfectly in the evening.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I've got to put in a vote for Antidote by Viktor And Rolf. It starts out fresh and citrusy - which is a nice way to start the night, then goes into a spicy heart with a healthy dose of nutmeg and cinnamon, and ends with a beautiful vanilla/amber drydown that never gets cloying (it walks a fine line between being too powdery and too sweet, but never falls into either category); a perfect way to end the night.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd April 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Chanel Antaeus, that's it!

I've tried the ones I ordered, as well as some other fragrances I found in local stores, and except for Platinum Egoiste (which I have now) I have noticed a characteristic note in all Chanel fragrances I've tried so far (Egoiste, Antaeus and Pour Monsieur). It's sharp and slightly bitter, and I don't really like it. Maybe it's just my body chemistry playing tricks with the fragrances.

I really liked Royal English Leather - that warm leather scent combined with hints of mandarin. Makes me feel proper, elegant, British. Also, it lasts a long time. The scent stayed with me the entire day I wore it, and even the following morning I could still smell it.

Black Orchid smelled nice, but it was way too sweet for my liking. And YSL M7 reminded me of the warm summer evenings I spent in Greece a couple of years ago. Nice, but not what I was looking for.

Then there's Bois du Portugal. I found it very sophisticated and elegant, but somehow... strange. I can't really put my finger on it. It's as if it evokes an aura of mystery, like something ancient that has remained hidden for centuries. I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Perhaps it's best suited for older men, like someone said earlier.

And finally, C&S No. 88. This is probably the one I like the most. I especially like that it actually smells exactly like real roses. It's noble, sophisticated, and elegant, and has a slight note of darkness and mystery as well, in a good way - not like BdP. I think No. 88 is the one I will buy.
    Mens omnia vincit

^ Very good choice about the No. 88

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather