Code of Conduct

Default Ambre Sultan vs. Ambre Extreme vs. Musc Ravageur

Which do you guys prefer? I currently only have a sample of L'artisan's, but tried MR and AS really quickly, and can't really decide which one I like most.

Default Re: Ambre Sultan vs. Ambre Extreme vs. Musc Ravageur

I only know The Sultan, but I can guess that it is the most powerful, smoky and resinous of the three.

i have ambre sultan and MR......dont recall ambre extreme...

MR by a landslide......not even close.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I don't think you can compare them.

But ...

Try MPG's Ambre. It's amazing!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Blog Entries

MR is the best of these 3 by a gazillion miles! Then Ambre Sultan, and fnally Amber Extreme. AE is probably the least interesting L'Artisan I've smelled.

Try Le Labo's Labdanum 18 - it puts Musc Ravageur to shame. Glorious stuff! Ambre Sultan is ambre and herbs. Ambre Extreme a straight forward and lovely ambre - very easy to like.

I think the argument should be between Musc Ravageur and Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, with the clear choice being both.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Off-Scenter

These three are not really all that comparable, except that they are all relatively sweet orientals. When the Directory comes back online I sugest reading the many reviews of each scent for some perspective on their different characters. In summary:

Ambre Sultan - thick, sweet, voluptuous amber of great depth, with extraordinary sillage and lasting power. Sharp herbal notes, dark spices and patchouli, give this amber an exotic, animalic edge. Far more complex than...

Ambre Extreme - anything but. A very plain, "safe," polite amber without the confrontational animal vibe that enlivens some other amber scents. A good amber scent for those who don't think they like amber.

Musc Ravageur - a spicey, musky, sweet oriental with plenty of cinnamon and vanilla. Not primarily an "amber" scent, though an amber accord is certainly present. A very warm, animal base. Not "unwashed," but distinctly lascivious. (A personal favorite of mine. )

If it's the amber accord you're after, my two foremost recommendations would be Ambre Sultan and the somewhat smoother, softer Ambre Precieux from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Ambre precieux is like a Budweiser Light Beer. Ambre Sultan is like a shot of Absinthe laced with laudanum.

Musc Ravageur is the most grossly overpriced of the three.
    -

I haven't smelled AE, but AS and MR are different animals, I feel.

In any case, if forced to make a choice, I'd lean towards MR.

Ambre Sultan by a furlong!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Re: Ambre Sultan vs. Ambre Extreme vs. Musc Ravageur

Both, Musc Ravageur and Ambre Sultan, smells quite fantastic - and are rather sickening. I do like sniffing both on my wrist from time to time, but find full wear quite suffocating, and I always apply lightly! I can't really tell wich I prefer. Laporte's fragrances are alot more refined and restrained than the two, and for that reason not as popular around here than the two mentioned above. Ambre Precieux is certainly worth a try.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 27th March 2008 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Ambre Sultan - thick, sweet, voluptuous amber of great depth, with extraordinary sillage and lasting power. Sharp herbal notes, dark spices and patchouli, give this amber an exotic, animalic edge. Far more complex than...
    I just sold my bottle of AS the other day because it doesn't last on me - within an hour or so, all I get is a skin scent that's hardly detectable after 3-4 hours. This is the only SL powerhouse frag that 'underperforms' on me. It could be my skin chemistry but, based on the recent SL tweaks being made, I wouldn't be surprised if they've now watered down the juice...

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Sultan.

I didn't like Ambre Extreme at all. One of the JC Ellena creations that I do not 'get'.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I adore AS to the point of obsession. I really like the drydown of MR but find it a lot more incensey than AS