Code of Conduct

Default so many bottles of stardust out there now yet no ones talking about it?

I havent seen any threads come up lately about stardust despite the fact that we almost all have a bottle now - it was a total blind buy for me. I cant say im too thrilled about it, the first application was dissapointing but i always like to give frags their fair chance and I think there is some element in this frag which will grow on me. If I had to liken this fragrance to any it would be faconnable - what do you guys think ?

Default Re: so many bottles of stardust out there now yet no ones talking about it?

I got several samples from Griff....thanks Griff! However, I really didn't like it. I think of it as an entry level cologne for a teenager or young adult. It is unoffensive and clean smelling. However, I wouldn't call it a work of art in fact for me it is totally forgettable. I have smelled many, many other fragrances that were very similar in department stores. Sorry, it's just not for me.

Default Re: so many bottles of stardust out there now yet no ones talking about it?

I got a sample from Azsmells (thanks!) and all I could really smell was patchouli. I'll give it another whirl tonight, though.

Update: good longevity but there is no drydown whatsoever for me, same with everything else I've sampled recently. They've all been perfectly linear on my skin.
    Last edited by HughLloyd; 28th March 2008 at 07:39 AM.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Blog Entries

Isn't the initial burst quite reminiscent of GIT? I thought it smells quite luxurios. Especially the drydown.

Sorry you folks aren't diggin' it. I like this juice quite a bit.
    That Mexican Lime note lasts throughout the drydown, and to
    me the whole thing smells luxurious.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I think it is a spectacular frag. I agree with trumpet_guy about the Mexican Lime note lasting throughout the drydown. This has moved into my top 5. I made sure I laid down a lifetime supply as when the distributers sell the last of it, it is gone. Lots of this juice still with the distributer though but 'lots' is relative to how much demand there is for it. They have a thousand or so bottles total of Stardust for Men, Stardust (women) in edt,edp and perfume along with ancillary products such as body wash still available that will dribble onto the marketplace for a few more years I would think.
    Last edited by kbe; 28th March 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I received samples from two great BNrs, Griff and DocPsycho.

I can't say that I am taken with it. When this happens, I normally (and this is the reason I haven't commented previously) set it aside for a few months or until there is a change of season. I will try it again in a month or so - at this point, though, I have a lifetime supply!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'm into it. Its a scent certainly full of contrast. It open sweet and sharp, which I assume to be the lime, and then slowly grows into a much more dignified and classic scent. The first day I wore it, I caught a sniff of myself mid-afternoon and was shocked at the complexity and maturity of the development. It really becomes quite a gentleman's fragrance, certainly reminiscent of a much older scent than one produced in the late 90s.

I think what might be happening is what always happens with good marketing ... disappointment. Stardust has enjoyed quite a lovely run as a hard-to-find favorite of some members who have talked it up over the years. Rarities are gold round these parts and sort of exist on another plane. But what happens when hype becomes a scent rather than a series of ideas and reviews? Some people's nose don't like it.

But I for one enjoy it, and don't regret my purchase at all! Hold on to your bottle kids, its not like they'll be making more any time soon.
    Last edited by bront82; 28th March 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I can understand that it may not live up to the hype for everyone. I do still find it to be
    excellent, and so much better than the vast majority of new releases. Here's a review I sent
    in an E-mail to someone today. I'm posting it here for your discussion.

Tim
    --------------------
    I'm wearing Stardust right now, and I am always struck by how luxurious
    and BOLD it smells. So many scents play it safe and tame, and hence are
    boring. Stardust hangs everything out there and says, "Love me or hate me,
    but this is who I am." Great stuff.

By comparison with some of the more modern, minimalist creations from
    someone like Jean-Claude Ellena, Stardust for Men seems positively
    Old School. I like Ellena's work too, especially Declaration and
    Rose Poivree. But, the bold aesthetic Phillip has achieved here with Stardust
    is luxurious in a way that a minimalist fragrance can't be. Phillip's fragrance
    strikes me as a modern reinterpretation of Old School luxury.

The Mexican lime note coupled with the vanilla, patchouli and musk, make
    an enchanting accord with great longevity. I am amazed that this sharp citrus
    smell can last so long.

anyone with me on the comparison with faconnable ?

PSSST. Top secret.

The actual old stock Stardust cologne, perfume, AS, body mist, etc is much larger than a 1,000. In fact, on last check, the actual stock of Stardust for Men was about 90,000 units of 3.4 ounce bottles. Expect this stuff to be around for quite a while.

Don't ask me how I know. I aint telling.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    PSSST. Top secret.

The actual old stock Stardust cologne, perfume, AS, body mist, etc is much larger than a 1,000. In fact, on last check, the actual stock of Stardust for Men was about 90,000 units of 3.4 ounce bottles. Expect this stuff to be around for quite a while.

Griff
    thats what I figured. I bought a bottle for fun @ 50 bucks but ill really start stocking up when they hit the 20$ mark.. which will happen

theres no market demand

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    thats what I figured. I bought a bottle for fun @ 50 bucks but ill really start stocking up when they hit the 20$ mark.. which will happen

theres no market demand
    Wow, that'd be one heck of a price. I'd buy more than one for that price (plus shipping of course).

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Wow, that'd be one heck of a price. I'd buy more than one for that price (plus shipping of course).
    you'd think so, but dont get carried away. I don't think anyone could possibly ever need more than 3, 100ml bottles even to last a lifetime. thats a hell of a lot of cologne!

I don't think anyone could possibly ever need more than 3, 100ml bottles even to last a lifetime. thats a hell of a lot of cologne!
    LOL There are a lot of BNers that will disagree with you on that, including myself.

If I really like a cologne and it can be worn in all seasons, I can use up a 100ml bottle in 2 to 3 years, so 3 bottles of something is not going to last me nearly the rest of my life.

MEXICAN LIME?! damn! I need a bottle of that stuff. My favorite, citric, fruit, vegtable... I wanna be in lime heaven

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    LOL There are a lot of BNers that will disagree with you on that, including myself.

If I really like a cologne and it can be worn in all seasons, I can use up a 100ml bottle in 2 to 3 years, so 3 bottles of something is not going to last me nearly the rest of my life.
    I suppose it depends on how many you have... but you seem to have alot of well! I dont know, I havent finished a bottle yet that I can remember, except an erolfa 2.5 that i got that was only 30% full upon arrival... actually I didnt even finish it I gave it away with about 10% left to a friend, then bought a new 4.0. how many sprays do you use? i tend to do either 2 at the neck and 2 at the wrist or 3 at neck and 2 at wrist depending on the cologne

how many sprays do you use?
    1-2 chest, 1/2-spray each side & back of neck, 1-2 each arm; ocassionally I'll refresh at some point during the day.

and just to stay on topic.... STARDUST YEAH BABY !
    Last edited by MadScientist; 31st March 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    1-2 chest, 1/2-spray each side & back of neck, 1-2 each arm; ocassionally I'll refresh at some point during the day.

and just to stay on topic.... STARDUST YEAH BABY !
    its ok its my thread, veer off topic if you like

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    PSSST. Top secret.

Griff

--Just about 50k of the Stardust For Men Edt total inventory left, some 38k of the 3.4 oz bottles, with about 4k total both sizes on hand with the current distributors. I ain't telling either
    Last edited by kbe; 1st April 2008 at 02:50 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    --Just about 50k of the Stardust For Men Edt total inventory left, some 38k of the 3.4 oz bottles, with about 4k total both sizes on hand with the current distributors. I ain't telling either
    lol shush you two
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 1st April 2008 at 04:06 AM.

Is there going to be a point where we see these show up at Perfumania, Loehmann's, or Marshall's/T.J. Maxx?

It seems like if Internet sales are at a slump for it, those would be the best places to move the inventory? What I don't know is how much of a hit you take for doing it that way.

I'm curious too as to why this isn't in any online discount shops or even the ones claiming to specialize in "hard-to-find" perfumes.

<edit> seems the women's version is not hard to find online
    Last edited by MadScientist; 1st April 2008 at 05:07 AM.

ONE QUESTION:

W-H-E-R-E D-O I F-I-N-D T-H-I-S?????????

Cheers,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    ONE QUESTION:

W-H-E-R-E D-O I F-I-N-D T-H-I-S?????????

Cheers,
    Al
    Azsmells has it fer sale cheap. Check his thread in the sales forum.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 1st April 2008 at 06:04 AM.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Al

Perhaps if the company actually SOLD the product in recent years, instead of hording it, it would not have had to hold a liquidation sale.

anyone with me on the comparison with faconnable ?
    I smelled Faconnable for the first time today and it does remind me of Stardust.

Actually Stardust + Polo Sport = Faconnable to my nose.