Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Eau d'Italie fragrance: Magnolia Romana

NowSmellThis reports here

'...the full roundness of a pure white flower with the green freshness of basil, the cleanliness of a lotus blossom mixed with a summer ozone note, then the slight contrast of dark green crushed lemon leaves with just a hint of the evanescent bitterness of damp earth...'

I don't think I've ever smelled a magnolia prominent fragrance. Magnolia Romana sounds promising.

I wonder if Dachaufour will be the nose?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Eau d'Italie fragrance: Magnolia Romana

Mike,
    I tried it. It is lovely. But maybe a bit too ozonic/fresh to be bottle worthy.

I tried this today at Lafco. They have a tester but is not yet available for sale. Initial impression is I would enjoy this one. I personally prefer subtle, light and clean fragrances and this one is. Perfect for spring/summer. Definitely not as heavy or strong as the previous three offerings from Eau d'Italie. I would have to try it again to decide if I want a bottle.

Exclamation Eau d'Italie launch Magnolia fragrance

Eau d'Italie launch Magnolia fragrance

Eau d'Italie has launched their fifth fragrance, Magnolia Romana. Like the rest of the range, the fragrance is unisex but it is said to be the most feminine so far.

More...

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Grant - so Dachaufour did do this one. Can't wait to smell it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

There's more on Magnolia Romana here:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...mana_20_1.html

Earlier today I ordered a bottle of Paestum Rose (blind) - also a "Douchaufour". I was a tourist in Positano, Italy (near Naples) a few years ago where apparently Eau d'Italie is available - had I only known then! For those who live in Europe they seem available at:

http://www.sirenuse.it/Eng/Shop_Eau_...nces.asp?Id=05

It sounds very intriguing. The Eau d'Italie fragrances, with their luxe traditional/modernist twist seem to be at odds with the ugly, graphic style packaging. They cry out for a more luxurious bottle, not something that looks like it contains a $3.99 hair gel!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd May 2008 at 10:57 PM.

I hope I will be able to smell this asap, since magnolia is one of my fav floral notes, and duchaufour is one of the lastest noses I felt in love with. Defintely a talented guy!

I have his Bois d'Ombrie and I'm still not out on this one.
    Sometimes it's totally unwearable for me and sometimes I'm craving to wear it .
    It's green, earthy, raw and dark like a cool, damp forest.
    And also, it lasts for hours on me. So before I spray this on, I better be sure I'm into the mood to wear it that day.
    Duchafour is a genius im my opinion, for connecting a particular theme to a fragrance. But I'm not sure every one of his creations is wearable for me. (that reminds me, I still have to sample Dzonka)
    Last edited by eric; 23rd May 2008 at 11:35 PM.

Eau d'Italie is now available at Lucky Scent!!!
    Last edited by Delmar; 30th May 2008 at 02:13 PM.

So I got a chance to try this today...not what I was expecting. Its good, but nothing to get excited over. It reminds me of Lily by CDG. I wrote a little review here if anyone's interested:

http://www.peredepierre.com/2008/05/...u-ditalie.html

Off-Scenter

Bump.

So am I the only one who's enjoying this? The few reviews I've seen have been dismissive, and none of them mention the very sharp , nose-prickling peppery effect that strikes me as Magnolia Romana's most appealing attributes. My full review, lifted from the Directory:

"Neither of the two earlier Eau d’Italie scents I’ve tried – Sienne l’Hiver or Bois d’Ombrie – pleased me much, but I just had to know what Bertrand Duchaufour, master of dark, smoky incense, would do with an aquatic floral. Magnolia Romana goes on with a blend of green floral notes and smoky (yes, smoky,) nutmeg so beautifully calculated that I want to freeze the opening in place for hours. But after a few minutes an aquatic accord wells up to douse the smoke, and Magnolia Romana emerges quickly and dramatically from veiled mystery to limpid clarity. Bright rose, crisp cypress, and ozone/calone notes blend into an accord that smells more of lotus than magnolia to me, while a very hard-edged cedar interacts with the rose to yield a nose-tingling peppery accent.

It’s that sharp, peppery edge that keeps me engaged as Magnolia Romana develops. Its bitter dissonance rescues the scent from the comfortable blandness that ruins so many watery florals. Another redeeming feature is an utter lack of sugar. Most similarly structured scents I know wallow in gobs of tropical fruit syrup, but this one eschews the melon margarita mix for a bracing shot of Campari.

Once it reveals its cool, bitter heart Magnolia Romana remains linear for a full four or five hours before folding down into its cedar base. Much to my delight, the peppery bite persists right till the end. Though not a weak scent, Magnolia Romana wears close to the skin, even when applied generously. Magnolia Romana is not a scent for those who enjoy filling a room with their fragrance, but I can recommend it as a warm weather option for anyone who hankers after a sugar free variation on the aquatic green floral theme."