Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman: Old versus New

I already had a bottle of Givenchy Gentleman, but decided to buy another at Ebay, because I read here at the group that the old version of the perfume was stronger, with more civet. So I bought the old version. To my nose, the perfumes are practically identical. The old bottle seems to be slightly stronger, but stays closer to the body and doesn't last so long.

The problem is that the two perfumes have quite different colors: the new one is light yellow and the old one is dark yellow. Does anyone else have both versions? I am curious to know if this difference in color is normal, or if my "old" GG is darker because it was kept in the wrong conditions (exposed to light and/or high temperature). Please help me, guys.

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 28th March 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman: Old versus New

Last edited by pluran; 24th July 2012 at 08:24 PM.

I recently bought a bottle of Givenchy Gentleman and the juice is a darker shade of yellow, not to mention it smells absolutely fabulous. Does that mean I have the vintage formulation? How can I find out for sure?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

isn't the new version a bit perfumey? the older juice was stronger, more of the old school. The new one is more polite, watered down
    Last edited by DreamerII; 28th March 2008 at 03:19 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Javagreen,

Does the packaging have a mixture of white and black colors? In case it does, you have the old version.

Lucius.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Javagreen,

Does the packaging have a mixture of white and black colors? In case it does, you have the old version.

Lucius.
    Yes it is. Great to know i've got my hands on the vintage stuff.. thanks for the tip man

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sorry to bump this old thread. I had started a thread but perhaps i wasn't very clear with my question there. I need some info about GG reformulations.

I own the new version with black cap, 100 ml, came in the new black/grey packaging.
    Also, i recently purchased a 220 ml splash bottle with silver cap and the same black/grey packaging. The bottle is from March 2006 but the juice is darker in color as compared to the latest version available in stores. You can see the pictures below.

images.jpgunnamed.jpg

I need to ask about the following version. It is a 100 ml ( 3 1/3 fl. Oz.) bottle. It is available in a store to purchase and I am thinking whether i should proceed with the purchase or not. The color of liquid and smell of this version are almost identical to the splash bottle that i have. Are these two the similar/same or are there any differences between these?

unnamed (1).jpg

Please advise. Thank you.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and a Heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour

Personal favorites:

1) Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    2) Amouage Epic Man
    3) Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    4) Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve
    5) Creed Aventus
    6) Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    7) Amouage Jubilation XXV
    8) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    9) DSquared2 Potion Royal Black
    10) Christian Dior Fahrenheit Absolute

Has someone tried the new version with the black cap? Is it very different from the silver cap?

I own the old one and have tried the new one and to my nose, I didn't notice that great a difference.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Only know the silver cap version and so far, it seems to be my favorite out of all formulations. It even outdoes the vintage/at the very least earlier formulation (s) a bit, if not in terms of longevity and projection, at the very least when it comes to additional subtlety, suaveness and complex nuanced, being less of the harsher leather-patchouli-civet bomb it used to be, even at the expense of a bit less strength.
    Currently wearing: Tasmeem by Rasasi

Basenotes Plus

On the pics above, only the one with the wrap-around silver label is vintage.

Which current versions are better.. Givenchy Gentleman, or Bond no.9 H.O.T Always?

Quote Originally Posted by drsillage View Post
    I need to ask about the following version. It is a 100 ml ( 3 1/3 fl. Oz.) bottle. It is available in a store to purchase and I am thinking whether i should proceed with the purchase or not. The color of liquid and smell of this version are almost identical to the splash bottle that i have. Are these two the similar/same or are there any differences between these?

unnamed (1).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Only know the silver cap version and so far, it seems to be my favorite out of all formulations. It even outdoes the vintage/at the very least earlier formulation (s) a bit, if not in terms of longevity and projection, at the very least when it comes to additional subtlety, suaveness and complex nuanced, being less of the harsher leather-patchouli-civet bomb it used to be, even at the expense of a bit less strength.
    So this looks like the latest type in production today?
    If this is as good as you guys are stating, I'm tempted to go out and try the latest one.

Antaeus in the 2014/5 form is way better than what I would 3-4 years ago, so I would be tempted to look out for other re-reformulated fragrances if yo usee what I mean.

GG was the pinacle of the patch until it was changed so I'm excited about this one.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This is the bottle I had when I purchased it two years ago. It smelled great (particularly the opening), but was extremely weak on me and wouldn't last more than 2 hours.

Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    This is the bottle I had when I purchased it two years ago. It smelled great (particularly the opening), but was extremely weak on me and wouldn't last more than 2 hours.

Hmm... Doesn't sound promising..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Hmm... Doesn't sound promising..
    But notice this one doesn't have the silver cap. This one has the black cap.

We are not sure this is the latest version, as it is possible that the latest version (silver cap?) is better. Could be another case as Antaeus as rum is saying....who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

I have to say my experience was different. I get what you are saying about it being less of a leather/civet/patchouli bomb but this is what gives the original it's magic for me.
    i found the recent versions still recognisably GG but a 21st century digital version without the romance, classicism and even sexuality of the wraparound label original.
    I'm pretty sure I've tried the silver and black top recent versions.

Okay, I'm not the most discerning when it comes to current vs. vintage formulations and pretty generous. I do not specifically seek out vintages in most or many cases.

However, in the case of Givenchy Gentleman, I think there is a big difference between the current and vintage versions. I have just tested the two formulations and am forced to personally reach such conclusions. Without going into details and notes etc., let me just say that I was surprised to find the two versions have nearly identical opening on my skin. The vintage has a very nice, 'gentlemanly' dry down with a patchouli focus and hints of soap. However, the current EdT practically collapses into a faint skin scent with hints of soap and patchouli less than 1 hour after application. Compared to the vintage it feels the current version does not have any heart or base notes.

Sometimes some people prefer current formulations (for eg, some prefer the current Kouros since it is less animalic). However in this case it is impossible to think of anyone actually preferring the current version unless one is looking for an eau de cologne.

I think for this fragrance it is a much better idea to go for a vintage version (at least last time I checked it could be commonly found at reasonable prices). If not, there are other patchouli masculines on the market that could possibly be a better alternative to the current Gentleman EdT.

Just my feedback, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Okay, I'm not the most discerning when it comes to current vs. vintage formulations and pretty generous. I do not specifically seek out vintages in most or many cases.

However, in the case of Givenchy Gentleman, I think there is a big difference between the current and vintage versions. I have just tested the two formulations and am forced to personally reach such conclusions. Without going into details and notes etc., let me just say that I was surprised to find the two versions have nearly identical opening on my skin. The vintage has a very nice, 'gentlemanly' dry down with a patchouli focus and hints of soap. However, the current EdT practically collapses into a faint skin scent with hints of soap and patchouli less than 1 hour after application. Compared to the vintage it feels the current version does not have any heart or base notes.

Sometimes some people prefer current formulations (for eg, some prefer the current Kouros since it is less animalic). However in this case it is impossible to think of anyone actually preferring the current version unless one is looking for an eau de cologne.

I think for this fragrance it is a much better idea to go for a vintage version (at least last time I checked it could be commonly found at reasonable prices). If not, there are other patchouli masculines on the market that could possibly be a better alternative to the current Gentleman EdT.

Just my feedback, your mileage may vary.
    Totally.
    I hate to sound opinionated on this matter, BUT - ignore anyone who tells you the current version is anywhere near the wraparound label bottle.
    The only thing I'm not sure about is if there was a decent 2nd formulation, as the first non wraparound label bottle seems to go back to at least 2008 if not earlier, so I can't comment on that, but it seems unlikely. What is available now is not really GG in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of any formulation of this one, the problem with the original being that it's too camphorous, but I'd say there was quite a difference between that one and a bottle with one of the newer designs (I don't remember which one it was).