Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is the Primary Factor That Makes you Love or Hate a Fragrance?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • The family or class the perfume belongs to, such as fougere, oriental etc

1 2.56%
  • The combination of different notes/ingredients

24 61.54%
  • The balancing or relative strength of the notes

3 7.69%
  • The progression of the top, heart and base notes

7 17.95%
  • The overall longevity of the fragrance

2 5.13%
  • The Sillage of the Fragrance

2 5.13%
  • The bottle

0 0%
  • The brand

0 0%
  • The author, or parfumeur

0 0%
  • The history of the perfume

0 0%

Default The Primary Factor

What is the primary factor that makes you love or hate a perfume? What is it that most perfumes that you like have in common? Choose one of these factors:

1) The family/class the perfume belongs to, such as fougere, oriental etc
    2) The combination of different notes/ingredients
    3) The balancing or relative strength of the notes
    4) The progression of the top, heart and base notes
    5)The overall longevity of the fragrance
    6) The bottle
    7) The brand
    8) The author, or parfumeur
    9) The history of the perfume
    10) The sillage

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 27th March 2008 at 01:55 AM.

Default Re: The Primary Factor

The primary factor that causes me to love a perfume is the great smell, but that wasn't one of the choices in the poll, so I voted for "The combination of different notes/ingredients".

Sur la Plage

I chose "The combination of different notes/ingredients" because I equated that to "I like the way it smells".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Indeed, the main thing for me is how it smells. The sillage is of little importance to me, while longevity is more or less a bonus. I'd buy a scent that I liked the smell of even if it didn't last that long, just like I definitely wouldn't buy one that lasted a long time if I didn't like the smell.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I chose "The combination of different notes/ingredients" because I equated that to "I like the way it smells".
    Ditto...

Same here: The smell (I selected notes...)
    Sillage is not that important; longevity is but it's secondary--a bonus. Other important factors that affect my enjoyment are the bottle and the history but again only as added bonus. Take Pour un Homme or Geir. Simple packaging but great scents; versus A*Men which is eye candy but does not work for me.
    RM

Roger that.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Because of the way it smells. I did not vote because I don't want to misrepresent and skew the data.

While 'combination of notes and ingredients' definitely is a huge factor, I find that what sets apart the good scents from the great scents is not only said combination, but primarily the evolution from top to heart to basenotes. It's why Antidote, an otherwise seemingly 'commonplace frag' sits in my #1 spot. It's light and it's inoffensive, which I've heard many people say in critiques of it, and yet, I don't feel those are qualities that detract from a fragrance. The same things could be said about AdP Colonia, and yet it is still very much loved around here (and rightly so! I love it, too.) The progression and evolution in Antidote is one of the finest and most perfectly orchestrated I've ever smelled, and easily outweigh any minor imperfections in the scent (same goes for AdP Colonia!)
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th March 2008 at 04:01 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

What petruccijc said.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    What is the primary factor that makes you love or hate a perfume? What is it that most perfumes that you like have in common? Choose one of these factors:

1) The family/class the perfume belongs to, such as fougere, oriental etc
    2) The combination of different notes/ingredients
    3) The balancing or relative strength of the notes
    4) The progression of the top, heart and base notes
    5)The overall longevity of the fragrance
    6) The bottle
    7) The brand
    8) The author, or parfumeur
    9) The history of the perfume
    10) The sillage

Lucius

I don't know until I smell it. And when I do, it's rather arbitrary - I just like it or I don't.

If you were to decide whether you like a fragrance or not based simply on one of those categories, then you will know every time whether you'll like a fragrance or not just by looking at reviews. But it's never that way.

It's an emotional decision where everything plays and the nose rules.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I did not know which option refers to the way the scent smells, so I voted for sillage. I think choosing three factors would be better.
    I would still vote for sillage, notes and probably for longetivity.

For me it's the smell. I'm not overly analytical about fragrances. I smell them and see how I feel about them. That's it.

I've read somewhere in a review that 'Antidote is ridiculously good smelling'. Strange sentence, yet it tells a world about it's qualities. Surely my next purchase.

I think the poll turned out as expected on a forum such as ours.

I would expect the main result to be the same on any fragrance forum.
    Had there been an alternative : 'The predominant note is also your favorite note '
    bars might perhaps look a little different
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.