Code of Conduct

Default where does guerlain fall under?

niche, designer, or something else? i also find it to be good value-price compared to creed and lutens. what other names do you think give good value for the price?

Default Re: where does guerlain fall under?

Quote Originally Posted by ands View Post
    niche, designer, or something else?
    The Fragrance Foundation used to categorize Guerlain as "Exclusive" for purposes of the FiFi Awards (the categories used to be "Exclusive," "Limited," "Broad," and "Mass"). Now, the Foundation uses different categories ("Niche," "Luxe," "Private Label," and "Popular Appeal"), but Guerlain has not won since the new categories were instituted, so I cannot tell quickly where the Foundation would put it. I would say that "Exclusive" and "Niche" probably mean the same thing.

See www.fragrance.org for more.

Sur la Plage

Guerlain's men's and women's fragrances won in the 'Best Designer or Fine Fragrance" category in the 2007 Basenote awards. It also won "Best House". I definitely feel they are deserving of these awards. Although I would not get hung up on how a fragrance house is labeled or classified. Bottom line - Guerlain makes excellent high quality products, and have done so for a long time.

I also feel YSL is another outstanding house that puts out excellent products at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th March 2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ands View Post
    niche, designer, or something else? i also find it to be good value-price compared to creed and lutens. what other names do you think give good value for the price?
    In terms of house categories, it's a classic perfume house, i.e. built on the sale of fragrances (in the 19th century). Guerlain is virtually synonymous with French perfume culture, though sadly they are now part of the LVMH "luxury goods" empire.
    Though many old houses have disappeared or declined into caricatures of themselves, some are still beacons of quality among overpriced designer junk. The great house of Caron comes to mind. pour un homme is classic, Yatagan extreme (but great), 3rd Man impeccable, Anarchiste bold. Not your run of the mill stinkers.

Classic English hosues whether revived (Penhaligon's) or still there (Trumper) offer good value for money, if you enjoy their style.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

That is a good question, and yet, irrelevant when it comes to the apreciation of Guerlain. IMO it is niche just because it is a company that has found a specialized market on perfume. The company was born as a perfume house, that was their niche activity. The availability of it makes it look less exclusive and luxurious, but i think that has nothing to do with "nichness"(?). As I said, In the end it does not matter, this house makes good fragrances with broad appeal at affordable prices.

Guerlain and YSL are great.
    Last edited by irish; 25th March 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Guerlain covers everything I would say. From Niche (SDV, L'art et Le Matiere collection, their exclusive Paris Only scents - Oud Sensuel comes to mind) to Mass Market (Less so in Womens, but in Mens, you've got L'Instant and Habit Rouge and Vetiver)

Nonetheless, all the offerings are fantastic in one way or another, and they're pure olfactory bliss if they 'work' on you - I'm sure someone like Brielle would more than agree
    Last edited by Vivek; 25th March 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: SP

designer.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I would put them into a category of their own; Historic parfumeur.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

As Brielle and good life mentions, they are historic. I choose niche for what they once were and because Guerlain still plays a significant role that is unique in perfume history. If that history deteriorates through mainstream overgeneralization, the house may slide into mainstream.

Quality should be the key. Designer, niche, mass-market - these may be (misleadingly) suggestive of the quality of a fragrance. However, a fragrance should speak for itself. These labels are not infrequently distracting.

Ands - did any of this help you get a grasp of where Guerlain lies in the Perfume Pantheon?
    I'd suggest it's actually an umbrella house, because unlike any other, it covers all the bases.

It's got many classics on its books - scents like Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko that rank alongside perfumes like No.5, Joy and Arpege as famous names all their own. But it has also recently gone mass-market with the L'Instant range and the Insolences; I don't know whether this brings the Guerlain name to a bigger and younger market (like Chanel have done with Coco Mademoiselle) but I can see why they've done it. If it introduces a wider audience to the historic fragrances like Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Apres L'Ondee etc, then I'm all for it.

And of course, Guerlain have kept their profile up by releasing the niche products like SDV and L'Art and keeping the exclusivity of their Paris boutiques.

It's actually quite canny marketing. I know we perfume-fans bitch about Guerlain's genius being diluted with the mass-market stuff, but it's the tens of thousands of bottles of L'Instant that pay for SDV to be created. Conversely, SDV gives the Guerlain brand and therefore L'Instant more credibility.

As for other houses with excellent reputations and surprisingly reasonable prices, I'll definitely second YSL and can I add Donna Karan and Bulgari? I know DK's apple range has got a bit out of hand, but her other scents are highly-rated - I'll cite Black Cashmere as an example. And what does the panel think about Rochas?
    Last edited by Wordbird; 28th March 2008 at 01:26 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    It's actually quite canny marketing.
    Exactly. A lot of people worry about marketing, exclusivness and status of the fragrance. In this case they are buying more a luxury good than the fragrance itself. More pretentiousness than fragrance snobery IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Ands - did any of this help you get a grasp of where Guerlain lies in the Perfume Pantheon?
    So true. I have special respect for houses, such as Guerlain, that are only perfumers. Unlike musicians who also throw out a perfume, or clothiers who expand into fragrance, these houses live or die solely by what kind of smells they produce.