Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Huge Collection of Everything OR Small Collection of Gems?

In a "best case scenario", my collection would be a combination of both: on one hand, a vast, diverse, versatile range of nearly any scents, on the other, a few highlights, "hidden gems", rare collectibles, in terms of quality, scarcity, luxuriousness etc., naturally intermingled among the many bottles.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 5th January 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    In 2012 I explored the forest - I know how big it is now. I haven't examined every hill or every tree in the forest, but I have a good idea of what is out there now and how to find my way around. 2013 will be about examining a few nooks and crannies - I no longer need to run around like crazy looking for something new.
    you've managed to articulate how I feel.

Basenotes Plus

Dougzar i totally feel you, my wallet is definitely hurtin after discovering this site, lol. I'm kinda afraid i'll end up where you're at haha. In 2 months i've gone from never really wearing scents to having 35+ bottles. I'm looking at my collection now and I realize theres actually a good amount of stuff that I'm not really digging all that much, some other stuff that i like but don't love, things that i dig but i'll probably rarely wear, and then a few samples that i'm almost out of that I should get a decant or bottle of.

I think I'm going to go with the small collection of gems route. Now that i've explored a good amount of scents it makes more sense just to have the ones i will be wearing, and then maybe a rotation slot of stuff that i'm trying out / special occasion & mood. I'll probably start paring down to a max of 20, with around 10 or less of the core classic gems for me that i'll wear on a regular basis.

The problem with going down the 'small collection of gems' route is that your tastes can change, especially for us beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    you've managed to articulate how I feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    Dougzar i totally feel you, my wallet is definitely hurtin after discovering this site, lol.
    Thanks guys - good to know I'm not the only one! lol
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I'm going for the "huge collection of everything" option, and the way I get to wear fragrances more often is I separate them by season.
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 6th January 2013 at 01:44 AM.

I keep my number of full bottles in the 20's, but I only really wear 12 of those bottles on a consistent basis. Some find fun in the amount, but for myself I'd rather wear each one of my fragrances more often and become more familiar with what each one has to offer.

I'm around 30 bottles right now. That's my happy place. Any more and some go neglected big time. I bought Varvatos Vintage two months ago and I've worn it maybe twice. I've had LADDM for two years and I wear it maybe once every three months! That bugs me a little. I wish I could make better use of my collection, but maybe I am already!

Huge collection of everything, including the small gems. Let's not be a baby about these things. Honestly, now. You can always hang out on the website for something like Real Simple magazine if you're into austerity. Otherwise. . .

The gems that wow me. I don't like having stuff just to have it. I'm not a fragrance hoarder lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why not just get a full bottle of 10 gems, and then get decants of the other 50 or 60 that you like but wouldn't wear every week.

Also, the OCD side of me fails to see a compromise of having some gems and some okay bottles. Either I have a lot of bottles, to put less emphasis on the fact that there are some worse than others, or I only have the essentials.

first world problems...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Why not just get a full bottle of 10 gems, and then get decants of the other 50 or 60 that you like but wouldn't wear every week.

Also, the OCD side of me fails to see a compromise of having some gems and some okay bottles. Either I have a lot of bottles, to put less emphasis on the fact that there are some worse than others, or I only have the essentials.

first world problems...
    I feel your pain. I pretty much narrowed down what I like, but I still find it fun to blind buy bottles here and there. Kind of like buying a lottery ticket or buying stock. That's actually what the fragrance market and community reminds me of, which is a mini stock market.

Small Collection of Gems

I am a fragrance hoarder, if I can afford it (most of the time even if I can't afford it) I'll buy it.
    My wallet is suffering and I think I have to see a doctor about this hobby - or bad habit - of collecting fragrances!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I am a fragrance hoarder, if I can afford it (most of the time even if I can't afford it) I'll buy it.
    My wallet is suffering and I think I have to see a doctor about this hobby - or bad habit - of collecting fragrances!!!
    Lol - I think lots of us can relate.

How about a huge collection of gems instead? Just don't buy them all at once or go the small decant route.

My problem is buying in BULK. I try something I like then I buy 3 or so bottles of it. I've been doing a lot of my fragrance shopping abroad and feel the need to stock up or "lose out" on an opportunity. The result is a closet full of doubles or triples!

To make matters worse I don't see myself using them all..."but at least I have them."

Eventually I'd like to find a signature scent again and FINISH the entire bottle before purchasing more juice.

At the moment there is an AMOUAGE fragrance that I want but I've tapped out my fragrance budget.....silly because I have several bottles of cologne that I won't use just sitting there.

Don't create waste. Buy what you will wear and save the money for the GOOD stuff.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 6th January 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I have a huge collection of perfumes in various collectible quality. For a long time I've been wanting to size it down. In my mind, my collection already exists of two separate collections; the one I truely love (about 40%), and the one consisting of frags I keep for various reasons, but could easily live without.
    Somehow I just cannot get myself to part with them.

What I'm trying to say is, that I think a small collection of gems is preferable.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 6th January 2013 at 11:55 AM.

from now on I won't buy another same type frag I already have. Hopefully ! Like having two or more vanillas, from which I say I LOVE ONE most...nuts. Wish I had a list ready of the types I like..vanilla, oriental, tobacco, citrusy, and "only" have one of each...

I have 30 bottles (in one month....), I wear half of dozen happily, the rest are "ok, try it again to see why I don't like it, the reviews were good".

Yeah, I'm still in the infancy phase, so I've got bottles that I blind bought based on reviews and am keeping them as my tastes may change (im trying really hard to like Farenheit, but the petroleum just isn't working for me)

I'm going to stick with my favourites and get my fix by sampling, then getting decants of the samples I like. I only want to buy a bottle if I'm certain ill like it long-term.

I hate seeing full bottles that I know I don't really like.

Plus, there's the whole "expiry" issue. I just think its ludicrous having a massive collectiowhen you'll never be able to use them all.

I'm starting to think that this "hobby" is a little unhealthy

Most people would look at my collection of 20 bottles and think I'm mad

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The gems that wow me. I don't like having stuff just to have it. I'm not a fragrance hoarder lol
    I agree. I got up to about 60 bottles once and it just made me sick. I can't enjoy that many. When I keep it around 30 I pretty much use them all. I'm the same way with clothing. Use it or lose it.

It's quite funny looking through this thread, going back to 2008 and seeing how people's collections have increased or decreased. Lots of people that were going to slow down, never did. I fall into that category too. Great thread

I have 1940 different fragrances in my collection, so I think it's clear which way I lean. There are just too many great frags out there to limit myself to a few frags. And things have a way of adding up over time, anyway. But I do believe that my collection is excessively large and that I need to do some prunung.

I had around 60. I had 10-12 I did not wear, some started not liking. Sold many, so now I have 30+ bottles, that I like and 20+ decants/splits. I got into the niche game so rather buy decants and samples and maybe more of them. Cheaper and can afford more.
    ďArenít you a little short for a stormtrooper?Ē

I use the 'devil take the hindmost' approach.

When I realise I haven't used a frag for a while I put it to one side. Over a period of time I will find I have put 6 - 12 aside. Over the couse of a few weeks I give them all another try. Some go back into the wardrobe, and others find their way onto eBay...

Banned
    Blog Entries

idk. great question. i am starting to only use my samples (200). also having 200 bottles mainly 3.4 oz is very hard to use. but i amnot even thinking about downsizing!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

smaller collection of gems.

if i were to buy every single fragrance i thought was 3-star, i'd have no space or money left.

Smell is a bookmark for moments. I like to have a variation to keep a fresh perspective, and so I think the median works for me. Some scents I would like as time stamps while others I would rather have secluded from calling up memories. It is all personal, and you can't take any to the grave so enjoy it while you are here. A 20ml option(I wish this was a standard) would be ideal for tasting, while reserving FBs to the "Gems"

I think there are several other variations on collecting than (1) Huge collection of 3/4 star fragrances, and (2) small collection of gems. That is a choice between big or small collection of things you like. But there are other kinds of collectors.

(1) Brand Collecting - there are people who like to find particular brands and collect everything in the brand. Guerlain draws this kind of collector but so does Creed etc. These people often like to also collect knowledge of the brand, history, read newsletters and books etc. This collecting often starts with a sense of brand loyalty that becomes an obsession. This collector will try to find a brand that has at least several fragrances that they think are really good for them personally, then collect as much of the brand as they can find. Many are not happy until they have they entire collection, even old discontinued items and rare limited pieces - they want it all! But they remain loyal to that brand and are slow to jump to a new brand. I think Hednic is kind of like that if I understand his collecting strategy.

(2) Collecting Best of each type - For a long time I tried to have my favorite of a type of fragrance. Best vetiver, best leather, best oud, best rose, best gourmand, best evening fragr, best work scent, best for gym, best eau de cologne, best orange citrus, best incense. etc. etc. This goes on until you realize that there are more than one best in a series and then it becomes the best three rose, incense, etc. or the best 6 of a category. Some collectors will not even buy a fragrance unless they can get at least three from a brand - a best three strategy from a brand which is kind of like #1 and #2 above combined. This collector could be considered a collector of types of smells rather than bottles of fragrances. Some of these collectors get into collecting decants and smaller quantities to enable them to try more varieties and uses of ingredients that create new kinds of scents.

(3) Wardrobe of Possibilities . This approach is like building a "toolbox" that has everything you might conceivably need as possibilities for use in creating yourself. Some collectors of fragrance look at building the wardrobe as building a palette of colors or possibilities that they have to chose from. These collectors focus on what they enjoy wearing in different settings, activities, weather, times of year, attitudes and variations that the personality finds itself involved in, etc. This is a collection of possible choices from which to create an interesting day. Kind of like building a wardrobe of clothing possibilities from which you might style yourself for the future. Have you ever known a handyman or mechanic that had to have every kind of possible tool in his shop? Never know when you might need it. Well this is the same obsession collecting only with fragrance/smells/scent.

(4) A Signature Fragrance - matching ME. This collector only wants what fits their persona perfectly. This starts with one scent then expands to different situations, usually evening, outdoors, work, romance, etc. This kind of collector will end up with no more than a 4 - 10 fragrances which they will think is excessive because too many will dilute their sense of who they are in fragrance. My SO is like this. She loves fragrance, but is uncomfortable with more than about 6 fragrances because she wants her scent to always be a recognizable signature of who she is.

(5) Collection of Gems. This collector starts with just a few and only collects those gems that are worthy of his collection. Ultimately the small collection becomes a large collection and he ends up selling off the less gemlike ones on base notes marketplace to make room for more gems to be added. The collection is only limited to storage space to hold it and the ability to find new "gems".
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 11th April 2013 at 03:23 PM.

gems only... Max of 10 frags.

But Im a minimalist... I dont own very many things at all, but what I do have is very nice and never overlooked.
    To each their own..

I prefer a small collection. I only own around 25 bottles, but I already find myself selling the ones I don't reach for.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

When I first started out, I would try fragrances, and if I liked them enough, I would buy them. I didn't need to necessarily love them. Now, that's the bar. I need to be impressed, or atleast intrigued enough by the fragrance to make a purchase. Especially since I am looking to return to school, I decided that I had to start prioritizing, and my desire for fragrances can't supercede my desire to better myself. So I still have quite a few fragrances that I wish I had, and they will remain on my wish list until I gradually start buy them, little by little.

When started in Sep, I had about 2 bottles. Since then I have bought another 50 and sold 15, leaving me with a collection of 37 that I am really happy with, all at least 8/10 for me. I have 30 Designer and 7 Niche (and 4 x back up bottles which I don't count in the 37)

I also have 38 samples, mostly 1-2 ml
    Last edited by Dailey; 11th April 2013 at 08:23 PM.

I want about 30 bottles that i will actually use. I have about 4 bottles now that are under very cheap. I have about 20 samples and will continue to use samples until i'm done.
    ANDERSON = GOAT