Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The smell of Dial Gold Soap

I'd *really* love to get a cologne that smells like Dial Gold Soap. I have already tried "Open" by Roger & Gallet but for me it's just not close enough....too much smoke/sandalwood in the dry down.

I have done a little research on Dial Gold and could only come up with "clover" as a description of its smell.

Has anyone come across anything else that smells like it? For me its quite a delicious and clean smell and I'd love to keep that with me for longer than the soap lasts. I suppose I could keep washing my hands all day but I think I might get classified as having OCD.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by atrac; 29th March 2008 at 08:51 AM.

Default Re: The smell of Dial Gold Soap

I think L' Eau Neuve by Lubin smells like the cleanest soap I've ever smelled. I smell freshly scrubbed whenever I wear it. I will probably have to get a full bottle soon. It is clean and freshness in a bottle. Smells very much like Dial - but even better with its slight thyme herbal middle notes. You might try a sample of it from Luckyscent.

Commes des Garcons 2Man, maybe?

Smile Re: The smell of Dial Gold Soap

Used to use dial in our family while growing up. The scent that reminds me the most of it is Gucci Pour homme. The original vintage formula. I believe it is discontinued now.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Freakin' weird coincidence! I was just thinking this same thing today! Thats the soap I use.

At first sniff, it just smells like normal soap, but if you actually hold it up to your nose, you can smell a whole lot of different elements that are quite nice and masculine, imo.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Honestly, Creed Ambre Canelle comes to mind.

i have heard aramis compared to dial gold soap as well
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Santa Maria Novella Gold Musk, read the reviews

I also see that Monsieur Musk has been compared to Dial Soap. Anyone agree? I haven't smelled it yet.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well!

I have a sample of SMN Gold Musk comming in so perhaps I can report back this week.

I haven't smelled Dial gold bars in a long time (my mom bought this my entire childhood) but the first time I sprayed Acqua di Parma Colonia I thought of Dial gold soap. They are both bright and fresh smelling.

Back when I bought Comme des Garçons 2 MAN, my brother said it smelled like yellow Dial soap and also a pile of sticks.

Dial Gold, the mac and cheese of comfort soaps.

To my nose, Bvlgari Pour Homme has a similar smell.

Fred Hayman did such a good job on his Neutrogena Rainbath "Inspired" Touch for Men -- I wish he would get to work on a Dial Gold scent as well!

Ok, I received my sample of SMN Gold Musk and I agree 100% without reservation that if you want a fragance that smells exactly like dial gold soap, this is it. Order it and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Ok, I received my sample of SMN Gold Musk and I agree 100% without reservation that if you want a fragance that smells exactly like dial gold soap, this is it. Order it and enjoy!
    Wow, you have me incredibly curious now. I don't suppose you have ever smelled Open by Roger & Gallet? Another BN'er insisted with as much enthusiasm that it smells like Dial Gold...but I didn't find that quite true. I wonder if SMN Gold Musk & Open Smell alike?

More importantly, can you tell me where I can also order a SMN Gold Musk sample from? At $96 + per bottle, I can't afford a blind buy on this one (Open was only $25 so that was a tolerable mistake -- and I actually like Open but for different reasons).

Another thing I forgot to mention is I have noticed there is a slight difference between the Liquid Dial Soap Gold smell vs. the bar soap version. I actually prefer the liquid one, so when I smelled Open I was underwhelmed. Having since purchased some of the bar soap, I can detect *more* of a similarity. The bar soap has more of the "woody/smoke" smell that I was referring to in my original post.

Dial Gold Liquid also has more longevity and sillage (as far as soaps go of course).

SO, a comparison of Open to Dial Gold soap in bar form is not as far off as I originally indicated -- I just prefer the more citrus aspects of the liquid hand soap. But I DO like both!
    Last edited by atrac; 5th April 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Hello atrac, forget the R&G, they are nothing alike. You have two members here that agree about the Gold Musk. You can order a sample from aedes.com. I can tell you that the smell is unmistakable. I know Dial Gold quite well and this is it. Gold musk has incredible sillage and longevity as well. I am smelling it as I am typing now. It is on a tissue in front of me and the smell is comming up to my nose. It will be my on next to-get list. Out of all my samples, Encre Noir and Gold Musk captivated me the most. Good luck!

Man I SO want to buy SMN Gold Musk. $96 would be the most I have ever spent on one bottle of cologne though. Eeek.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled Gold Musk this Sunday at the Santa Maria Novella store in Beverly Hills - yes...it is the smell of Dial Gold in all it's soapy, amber-esque glory. Not my thing...but if you want the smell of Dial Gold then GM is the real deal.

Bulgari Pour Homme gives a similar fresh feeling...

* If you shower with Dial gold, then spray on Right Guard deodorant - you will smell like my dad!!!

One of the cheapest bar soaps available = one of the more expensive colognes.

Wahhhh...it's not fair!

You may want to try "King." The drydown smells very much like gold Dial soap, and it's only ten bucks at your local Walgreens.

I smelled "King" before and didn't notice any Dial Soap drydown. But I will definitely give it another try as "Dial" wasn't on my mind that day.

Thanks for the tip!

Azuree, a frag at the Estee Lauder counter, smells of Dial Gold to me - in the drydown (4-5 hours). It might be worth a try.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 20th May 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Banned

I think a BNer here pointed out the similarities between Nasomatto Silver Musk and Gold Dial soap

I don't can't smell it though...

this BNer didn't notice any similarity there. . .

gold musk has occasionally come up on ebay and you might save $30 that way but you'll have to wait I also get something of the gym shower mildew along with the dial soap from the SMN

you should also try cumming, which is not like dial soap but has a locker room vibe nonetheless

While not "Dial Gold" Soap, I did end up buying "Pure Soap" by Demeter; it is Ivory Soap inspired and quite nice.

Although it doesn't last too long, it was a great bargain for $7.99 at Marshall's.

Too bad Demeter chose to tackle Ivory over Dial Gold. But hey, it's better than nothing for my budget!

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/Prod...ProductID=1118
    Last edited by atrac; 30th May 2008 at 12:33 AM.

I love the smell of Ivory and sorely miss the ivory shampoo and conditioner!

Edit: Pantene is a close substitute
    Last edited by Scentologist; 30th May 2008 at 03:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    While not "Dial Gold" Soap, I did end up buying "Pure Soap" by Demeter; it is Ivory Soap inspired and quite nice.

Although it doesn't last too long, it was a great bargain for $7.99 at Marshall's.
    The only problem with the Demeter is it's incredibly short longevity. For a longer lasting Ivory Soap smell test Chemistry by Clinique, next time you pass a Clinique for Men counter. It's the olfactory equivalent of Ivory Soap and it's got average longevity.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The only problem with the Demeter is it's incredibly short longevity. For a longer lasting Ivory Soap smell test Chemistry by Clinique, next time you pass a Clinique for Men counter. It's the olfactory equivalent of Ivory Soap and it's got average longevity.
    Incredibly short indeed! I keep reapplying the dang thing and my bottle is already starting to dwindle after just one day! So much for being frugal!

Clinique counter, here I come! Thanks for that tip! It's not discontinued yet, is it? There is a bottle on eBay and of course they claim it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I love the smell of Ivory and sorely miss the ivory shampoo and conditioner!

Edit: Pantene is a close substitute
    It's funny actually...I used to LOVE Ivory shampoo and conditioner as well. Then Pert Plus came out and I moved on to that, then Pantene came out and the whole "Panthenol" Pro-V craze hit and I went to that.

So a few years ago I decided to revisit the "Ivory" shampoo and conditioner. I went to the store, looked around, and bought from the "Dove" line. Yep, I completely interchanged the brand names and had no idea. I used it and thought "man, this is nothing like I remember it." I ended up never going back.

Now I see why! LOL. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm sad to learn now that it's gone!

the CB accord #200 "White Soap" is one of the most potent and long lasting CB creations and it's cheap and it's awesome and really has great projection too.

I mean #279 not 200.

Quote Originally Posted by chasefairfax View Post
    the CB accord #200 "White Soap" is one of the most potent and long lasting CB creations and it's cheap and it's awesome and really has great projection too.
    I've been looking over the CB website and have no idea how to actually order the #279 accord "White Soap."

On the "Accords A-Z" page http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBaccordsAZ.html the link for Soap, White is http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBcleanaccords.html and that takes me to a page that only shows "Beautiful Laundrette." I guess that means it's sold out? The site should indicate that.

At any rate, I'll keep an eye open for it. Thanks!
    Last edited by atrac; 30th May 2008 at 11:15 AM.

I'm sure you if you contact them and ask for it by name/number it'll be no problem. fantastic for layering too with anything you can imagine a soap version of being nice, vetiver, spezie, etc. . .

you should also ask them about possible dial soap analogues, I think they may have a "gold soap" ... I knoew they have white soap and musk...
    Last edited by chasefairfax; 30th May 2008 at 08:22 PM.

A perfume that smells exactly like the Ivory Shampoo and conditioner is Datura Noir by Serge Lutens.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    For a longer lasting Ivory Soap smell test Chemistry by Clinique, next time you pass a Clinique for Men counter. It's the olfactory equivalent of Ivory Soap and it's got average longevity.
    *EDIT* I'm re-writing history here. I DO think Chemistry smells like Ivory Soap when it dries down. What I said before...stupid...wrong. I agree 100% now and frankly don't know what I was thinking!!

Thank you mikeperez23 for pointing it out.....Chemistry is now and has been since I bought it in June, a permanent part of my rotation!
    Last edited by atrac; 16th October 2008 at 08:45 AM.

who is that in your avatar?

who is that in your avatar?
    It's Rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_(singer))
    Last edited by atrac; 31st May 2008 at 03:52 AM.

ah, thanks. didn't he just have his film debut, I seem to remember reading something about it.

ah, thanks. didn't he just have his film debut, I seem to remember reading something about it.
    He has been in TV Shows and a Movie in Korea, but he made his U.S. feature debut this summer in "Speed Racer."

I wore King today. You really need to try this. If you were trying to make a men's cologne that smells "like" Dial soap (but not "identical" to it), this would be it. Don't be put off by the initial blast. Give it about an hour to drydown and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    I wore King today. You really need to try this. If you were trying to make a men's cologne that smells "like" Dial soap (but not "identical" to it), this would be it. Don't be put off by the initial blast. Give it about an hour to drydown and you'll see what I mean.
    You read my mind today (or vice-versa) because one of my errands was to find King and give it another chance.

I did, and now own it. You're exactly right about the initial blast too...that's what I based my previous judgment on. After the dry-down, it does smell similar to the liquid Dial Gold soap! (To me, the liquid and the bar version smell a little different; I prefer the liquid one!).

Like I said in the other post, I think "King" is a bad name for it. I feel like it should be "Auric."

Oh right speed racer, Rex Reed was very cruel and just sort of dismissed him. That of course means nothing!

Dail soap = YSL Jazz

or maybe Dior Higher

Old thread, but I was in Target today and saw something that made me want to run home and take a shower: Dial Gold Shower Gel! Took them long enough, but it's finally available. Still not the same as having a cologne version of it, but much better than showering with the hand soap gel (yes, I actually tried that once -- didn't work out so well).

http://www.dialsoap.com/bw_dial_gold.html
    Last edited by atrac; 14th October 2012 at 10:44 PM.

CDG 8 88 smells like Dial as does Bandit parfum before it dries totally. I grew up smelling Dial every morning for years. Reminds me of having to get up early for school. I've recently smell the gold bars, and they pretty much smell the same to me.

I just showered with the Dial Gold shower gel and it's a---mazing! It's strong!! My first inclination is to run back to Target and buy every last bottle before it gets discontinued (as all good things do). Even as I sit here and type this, I can still smell it. Obviously it's not as strong as an EDP or EDT, but I look forward to seeing how long it's going to last on me.

If you like Dial Gold, I highly recommend the new shower gel.

I am new to the forum; so I would like to say hi to everyone. And it is interesting to me that there are so many of us who like the smell of Dial Gold. First of all; there is now a Dial Gold Shower Gel - Target and Walmart carry it; but I am certain others will soon. And I have been in a search for a cologne that smells like it; and I think I have found it . . . and it could be for either men or women. It is Blvgari Pour Homme Extreme. I noticed another reader had mentioned the Blvgari Pour Homme - and that is true - but the Extreme is just that - a more intense version that smells almost exactly like Dial Gold. If you like a really just stepped out of the shower clean; try the scent from Dlish - Clean Women or Clean Men. Those scents, however, smell like a perfumed soap. Definitely a great smell; but not the Dial Gold we are all discussing. Just to save you some time - if you decide to try Blvgari - do so at a major retailer. Truly remarkable. I am very happy. Take care everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I suppose I could keep washing my hands all day but I think I might get classified as having OCD.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I know what you mean - LOL. Take care, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by briguy652002 View Post
    I am new to the forum; so I would like to say hi to everyone. And it is interesting to me that there are so many of us who like the smell of Dial Gold. First of all; there is now a Dial Gold Shower Gel - Target and Walmart carry it; but I am certain others will soon. And I have been in a search for a cologne that smells like it; and I think I have found it . . . and it could be for either men or women. It is Blvgari Pour Homme Extreme. I noticed another reader had mentioned the Blvgari Pour Homme - and that is true - but the Extreme is just that - a more intense version that smells almost exactly like Dial Gold. If you like a really just stepped out of the shower clean; try the scent from Dlish - Clean Women or Clean Men. Those scents, however, smell like a perfumed soap. Definitely a great smell; but not the Dial Gold we are all discussing. Just to save you some time - if you decide to try Blvgari - do so at a major retailer. Truly remarkable. I am very happy. Take care everyone!
    Personally, I think Open by Roger & Gallet is a dead ringer for Dial Gold.

Love Dial Gold. Not only a nice fragrance, but it's a good, stout soap for men. Haven't found another fragrance like it. I own Open and Ambre Canelle. Like them both, but neither remind me of Dial Gold.

I once stayed at a resort that had a peculiarly strong deodorant bar soap in the room, and when I strolled through the resort's common areas I could smell the soap radiating off other guests. It was an amusing effect. I often wonder if others smell Dial Gold wafting off me right after a shower. I like the scent, but I don't want to be soaked in it.

Basenotes Plus

Van Cleef and Arpels PH has a soapy note that I think someone compared to Gold Dial soap. I'm sorta mixed on the whole VCA PH progression though. Can get a little cloying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will look into that one. Sounds good. B

CDG 2 Man doesn't smell like Dial Gold, it smells ink.
    My current fav:

1. Patchouli Nobile
    2. A*Men
    3. Dolcelisir
    4. Ambra Nobile
    5. Aventus

Nope, I believe that's CdG 2 you're referring to and not 2 Man. They're mixed up quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    CDG 2 Man doesn't smell like Dial Gold, it smells ink.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. SantL - ONLY 190ml Remaining (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 10 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Blood Orange/Oakmoss/Resins/Animalic.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

Atrac, if you are in Los Angeles, you can always go to the SMN on Melrose Place and try it first--they might even give you a sample...... I love the smell of Dial soap, too!

I sit corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Nope, I believe that's CdG 2 you're referring to and not 2 Man. They're mixed up quite often.
    My current fav:

1. Patchouli Nobile
    2. A*Men
    3. Dolcelisir
    4. Ambra Nobile
    5. Aventus