Code of Conduct

Default Beginner in cologne world

One time I was surfing the net and accidentally stumbled upon this site. Soon I found tons of information about cologne and know I am willing to buy my first fragrance. Now I am in 12th grade and soon I will have to face with exams. So I would like to cheer my spirits with good scent and I think that it will also boost my confidence, and I need that. Basenote community could you suggest me some fragrances that could be worn in spring and also in summer for daytime and going out with friends. I am willing to spend 60~90$. Also could you give me some online shop sites that ships internationally, because I live in Lithuania and itís hard to find shops that ship to my country. All your suggestions and tips are very welcome. Thank you

Default Re: Beginner in cologne world

Everybody will give you a different list of fragrances to test. You need to go out there and test a lot of fragrances on your skin, and you will come across something you really like. When you've narrowed it down to, say, three or four fragrances that really got you interested, you then research them, look up the notes, ask about their longevity and strength. You'll find many people willing to help you here if you ask about specific fragrances. Your first fragrance needs to be something you can wear to any place, at day or night. It needs to be safe but not boring. Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz, Yves Saint Laurent L'homme, L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake, and Polo Double Black all come to mind.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

The best way to find the scent you want is to go and test them in stores.

For Spring and Summer, I would recommend L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake.

Quote Originally Posted by zmogedra View Post
    One time I was surfing the net and accidentally stumbled upon this site. Soon I found tons of information about cologne and know I am willing to buy my first fragrance. Now I am in 12th grade and soon I will have to face with exams. So I would like to cheer my spirits with good scent and I think that it will also boost my confidence, and I need that. Basenote community could you suggest me some fragrances that could be worn in spring and also in summer for daytime and going out with friends. I am willing to spend 60~90$. Also could you give me some online shop sites that ships internationally, because I live in Lithuania and itís hard to find shops that ship to my country. All your suggestions and tips are very welcome. Thank you
    well donno if this is gonna help you but I'd suggest.......................... Eau Sauvage? JPG Le Male - sorry I dont really know your taste

Look no further than Clinique Happy, my friend.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Look no further than Clinique Happy, my friend.
    I'll second that and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by silverbullet; 30th March 2008 at 05:19 AM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

I recommend Iceberg Twice, purely for the beauty of it plus the bargain price.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Smile Re: Beginner in cologne world

I think Bulgari pour homme could be nice. I also, like everyone else here, recommend that you sample, sample, sample. Go to the store. Find one you think you might like. Spray some on your wrist and do some more shopping. Once your body heats it up a bit it will smell different than it did on that hunk of paper you spritzed on. There is absolutly nothing quite like trying it on your skin. You will get a more genuine idea of how it will be like to wear it.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I followed your tips and went to see for my self. I couldn’t find clinique happy or iceberg twice, but I was able to find other fragrances. First I tried Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey about 15min blast of lemon cream, after that it cooled down to something interesting, but I can’t tell what . My second try was YSL L’homme I loved it from the beginning. It was sweet, creamy, with some spices and it lasted about 4h and then started to fade away. I tried JPG Le male, but after one whiff I realised that my classmate uses it. This isn’t scent on my top list, but it smells nice, sweet with a sharp bitter note. And last two I was able to test on a stripe, because my both wrist wore preoccupied those wore YSL Live Jazz and Polo Double Black. First I found Jazz scent to be minty and fresh, I couldn’t tell the other notes. To me this cologne seems to be a bit mysterious, don’t ask why . Double Black was a very pleasant scent, sweet, but not to sweet and it had some spices in it (I think pepper) and now I can’t take my nose of the stripe :]. So my top list would be YSL L’homme, Polo Double Black, L'eau D'issey. What would you suggest to buy as a first fragrance? And I think it won’t be the last ;]

Quote Originally Posted by zmogedra View Post
    So my top list would be YSL Líhomme, Polo Double Black, L'eau D'issey. What would you suggest to buy as a first fragrance? And I think it wonít be the last ;]
    The first fragrance I bought when I joined Basenotes was Double Black. For me, this scent never got boring one bit. Until quite recently my wardrobe has been limited to only three fragrances, so sometimes I wore Double Black four times a week, but it *never* got me bored of it. I like it even more with every wearing. On my skin, it lasts the whole day, and the drydown is just beautiful.

The directory lists the notes as
    Top Notes: Mango, Pepper.
    Middle Notes: Roasted Coffee, Indonesian Nutmeg.
    Base Notes: Rich Woods, Cardamom, Juniper Berry.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Sounds like Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey may suit you well.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER