Code of Conduct

Default has anyone tried making a sandalwood tincture out of sandalwood dust?

has anyone tried making a sandalwood tincture out of sandalwood dust?

should I use heat ? does anyone know how much volume of alcohol to use per sandalwood weight ?

Default Re: has anyone tried making a sandalwood tincture out of sandalwood dust?

Not sure if that would work but interested to see suggestions for this effort.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: has anyone tried making a sandalwood tincture out of sandalwood dust?

Any sandalwood dust you buy is likely to have already been steam distilled to extract the oil.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

your right, the results thus far have been quite unsatisfactory and its been almost two months, I suppose I won't throw it out but it doesnt seem like its gonna go anywhere.

my next experiment will be to double boil it a bit and see if that helps release anything

update for june: don't bother!

I want to leave a little update. I am having great luck with pure sandalwood powder in perfumers alcohol. It cant be used gram at a time in formulas. You need to use it as the alcohol in the mix. Lets say you are making a 15ml bottle of extrait parfum. You would pour 10ml of the pure tincture and then your 5ml of pure formula. But you would have to figure this into your formula. When the scent wears off ... sandalwood will remain .. for days.

Basenotes Plus

Darkwood, welcome! And thanks for the tip!

I've had great luck tincturing sandalwood as well. It was very high quality powder purchased from an incense manufacturer in Japan. This tincture was one of my favorite sandalwood fragrances - I just wore it straight.

Long, long ago, I had some red sandalwood dust and it wasn't expensive. I tinctured it for ages/years in ethanol and all it did was evaporate before it smelled. I then tried the same in oil and it was moderately more successful but hardly so. I think the dust would have to be of the very best kind to even bother. Bearing in mind that dust is extremely absorbent and so the ratio of dust to ethanol is very high, therefore making the concentration possibilities very low. My own verdict was to buy a very small quantity of the real deal (meaning the oil) to achieve the same value both timewise and economically.

Basenotes Plus

Mumsy, I have gotten the impression, from incense-making sites, that red sandalwood is actually a different species, and not used so much for scent as for filler and color in incense. Could that be true of what you tried to tincture?

The oil is nowhere near as rich and true to the scent of wood as a good tincture. The oil is wonderful and the tincture couldn't replace it but there are delightful aspects of high quality wood that sandalwood oil misses. Order some sandalwood powder from yamada matsu and tincture that... the smell will be impossible to miss! And yes, red sandalwood is a different species and is mainly a colorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Toujours Mink View Post
    Mumsy, I have gotten the impression, from incense-making sites, that red sandalwood is actually a different species, and not used so much for scent as for filler and color in incense. Could that be true of what you tried to tincture?
    Thank you. It absolutely must be the reason. I never even thought to question it at the time as I was a true newb then and couldn't afford all the different oils and was tincturing anything I could. I shall look into red sandalwood out of sheer interest. If it a material doesn't smell of much before tincturing, then it isn't magically going to afterwards.

edit.... lol. Spot the ignoramus called me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterocarpus_santalinus
    Last edited by mumsy; 16th December 2016 at 10:49 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Mumsy, I would never call you an ignoramus. We're all newbies at least for a while, and I think I still am. But you, my dear, are a wonderfully helpful "big sister" and an inspiration to many of us!

I tinctured Santalum album chips in ethanol using reflux. The result is a yellow liquid leaving a brief trace of scent on blotters reminiscent of sandalwood itself but mostly of old musty wood. The classical sandalwood infused Monoi Tiki Tahiti smells similar to it.

I used 30 grams of sandalwood and 200 ml ethanol so I suppose it's more or less equivalent to 0.1 % solution of sandalwood essential oil plus all the non-volatile stuff. Having more sandalwood I could easily upgrade this to 1% or more and maybe the impression of it on a blotter wouldn't be so brief.
    Last edited by xii; 17th December 2016 at 02:52 PM.

The issue is everyone expects everything to be strong when compared to an EO or absolute .. there IS no comparison. So people just write off some simple wood tinctures. I am telling you, you MUST use it as a LARGE portion of the alcohol content in your formula for it to work. Best is to start with the perfume size you make the most often , lay down your tincture as you 70-90% and then make a formula on top of it. It WILL smell of sandalwood big time and for days and days on end. I have a week old scent strip and it still smells great. The color is unreal as well!