Code of Conduct

Default Staying Fresh for a Very Long Time

I love citruses and classical colognes. They are my favorite types of fragrance. They are uplifiting, versatile, refreshing, sharp, sunny and manly. But they usually last for a very short time on my skin. It is frustrating. So, what I want to know is this:

Which citrus or classic cologne has the greatest longevity? Please reply with only one fragrance, the winner.

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 30th March 2008 at 03:13 PM.

Default Re: Staying Fresh for a Very Long Time

Have you ever tried Creed's Royal Water? I don't know how it's possible, but citrus, especially verbena is very prominent throughout it's long lifespan. I guess because it's highlighted with peppermint which keeps the fresh aspect of it alive. Nothing lasts 12 hours on me, but this lasts about as long as anything. It's a safe wear, conservative yet uplifling in the impression it gives, great for summer, and has enough interesting notes (particularly some kind of grain and vegetal notes) to keep it from being boring. It's not especially manly, and to me is right in the center of the unisex spectrum.

For a pure orange that has a much longer lifespan than most, but shorter than Royal Water, Aqua di Parma's Arancia is excellent.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 30th March 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

The King of citrus longevity - - Bigarade Concentree

Armani Eau PH
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Have you ever tried Creed's Royal Water? I don't know how it's possible, but citrus, especially verbena is very prominent throughout it's long lifespan. I guess because it's highlighted with peppermint which keeps the fresh aspect of it alive. Nothing lasts 12 hours on me, but this lasts about as long as anything. It's a safe wear, conservative yet uplifling in the impression it gives, great for summer, and has enough interesting notes (particularly some kind of grain and vegetal notes) to keep it from being boring. It's not especially manly, and to me is right in the center of the unisex spectrum.

For a pure orange that has a much longer lifespan than most, but shorter than Royal Water, Aqua di Parma's Arancia is excellent.
    I love Royal Water, but longevity isn't 12 minutes on me, so I thru my bottle in the trash a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, I suspected that a citrus by Creed could not have great longevity. I have Bois de Cedrat, and it lasts a few milliseconds.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 31st March 2008 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I love Royal Water, but longevity isn't 12 minutes on me, so I thru my bottle in the trash a couple of weeks ago.
    In the *trash*?! What size was the bottle? You could have sold that for good money! Or at least donated it to needy basenoters!

That was my experience with Citrus Bigarrade, literally 10 minutes, but I sold it for $70 afterwards instead of donating it to the town dump!

I'm surprised it was so short lived on you - like I said before, things tend to not last as long on my skin as other on other peoples' and that's why I was really surprised at the longevity of Royal Water.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Hugh Parsons Traditional (blue) is about the longest-lasting Lemon I know of. Lemon and wood and some aquatic/ozonic(?)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Azzaro Chrome.

Other scents either conk out or get washed away in the midst of physical activity and heavy perspiration in hot weather.

Yet Chrome abides.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Yes, I was suspicious that a citrus by Creed could not have great longevity. I have Bois de Cedrat, and it lasts a few milliseconds.

Bois de Cedrat and Citrus Bigarrade are EDT's and have really different compositions from Royal Water. They're watery and minimal, while Royal Water is alot more robust. CB lasts 10 seconds on me, but Royal Water goes all day into evening. I'm really surprised that thebeck found it so short, since most fragrances don't last all that long on me. I'm even more surprised he trashed it!

I hope you bought it for cheap and didn't pay retail!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Azzaro Chrome.

Other scents either conk out or get washed away in the midst of physical activity and heavy perspiration in hot weather.

Yet Chrome abides.
    Renato
    Another vote for Chrome. It lasts a long time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Try Adp Colonia Assoluta. Perfectly blended and lasts a long time.

Post Re: Staying Fresh for a Very Long Time

Many so called fresh desinger scents some people classify citrus fragrances - Chrome is a good example - doesn't remind me of any existing citrus fruit. Royal Water is a good suggestion, but my vote goes to Trumper's GFT. It's zesty and very longlasting. As a sidenote, it's not very impressive, if a fragrance with citrus beginning lasts long, but this one stays true to it's fresh nature throughout.

12 sprays of YSL Live Jazz should do it
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

A citrus, classic scent with pretty good longevity: YSL pour Homme (1971.)
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    12 sprays of YSL Live Jazz should do it
    Or else you could try three or four sprays of Calypso pour Homme instead.

Seriously, since you wrote "citrus OR classical", instead of "citrus AND classical" I think it's save to recommend this to someone for the second time this week.

It's a bright tangerine (I believe it's renamed Tangerine also, but I'm not 100% sure, I still have some 25% left of the old bottle) with some tea and lemon, some hyacinth and a drydown of white musk and some very light amber.

You can sample it from Luckyscent. How come this fragrance never get mentioned around here? It's fantastic! Every summer again, I end up wearing this for weeks straight...

O, and yes, It does last for a long time also!
    Last edited by Domingo; 30th March 2008 at 04:39 PM.

My vote goes to Acqua di Parma Colonia - lasts a long time on me and I love the rose in it.

(Extra Vieille lasts a good seven or eight hours on me as well, while CdG 2Man just disappears - go figure!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Many so called fresh desinger scents some people classify citrus fragrances - Chrome is a good example - doesn't remind me of any existing citrus fruit.
    OsMoz classify Chrome as Citrus-Aromatic.
    And list,

Top note : Lemon, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Pineapple
    Middle note : Coriander, Jasmine, Cyclamen, Orris
    Base note : Cedarwood, Moss, Tonka, Musk

Perfumeworld list it as
    Olfactive family:Aromatic Citrus
    Olfactive description:Fresh Citrus Aromatic Marine Green Floral Woody Musky

Renato

Post Re: Staying Fresh for a Very Long Time

This one fly's under the radar, for some reason here, and that is Eau pour Le Jeune by MPG. Opens with the most embracing Orange that you can imagine, joined by a touch of Lemon, and a hint of Bergamot.Shortly joined by a hint of nutmeg, and a note that I am familar with, but can't quite put my finger on.dry down is prolonged, with the most enjoyable gentle woods, and a hint of Musk. Can't say enough about this fragrance, but you be the judge! Last's a good 6-7 Hrs. on me. Get a sample!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Talking Re: Staying Fresh for a Very Long Time

Hermes - Concentree d'Orange Verte

Though a bit hard to find because it's a limited release, Castle Forbes Neroli lasts the longest of my citrus based scents. It's also the most masculine neroli i have tried, with a base of warm woods and resin. Creed's Orange Spice is the longest lasting of their citrus scents i have tried.

The greatest citrus I have ever tried is Geo F. Trumper's GFT. It is very refreshing and lasts a good 12 hours on me. IMO, the perfect scent for hot and sticky days.

Blog Entries

I'm particular to lime fragrances and recently found one that smells great (just like limes), lasts at least 12 hours when applied to clothing, lasts about 3-4 hours on skin with a dry down to a mild, clean scent that lasts another couple of hours. It's strong and has some sillage when applied to clothing but, overall, stays close to the skin.

So, I recommend i Profumi di Firenze's Agrumi di Sicilia.

For a blended, general citrus with staying power, I recommend AdP Colonia.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Moschino Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I'm particular to lime fragrances and recently found one that smells great (just like limes), lasts at least 12 hours when applied to clothing, lasts about 3-4 hours on skin with a dry down to a mild, clean scent that lasts another couple of hours. It's strong and has some sillage when applied to clothing but, overall, stays close to the skin.

So, I recommend i Profumi di Firenze's Agrumi di Sicilia.

For a blended, general citrus with staying power, I recommend AdP Colonia.

I enjoy lime sometimes too. A fun one that lasts is a cbihateperfume accord "Mexican Lime Absolute"

$25.00 for 15ml.

Basenotes Institution

Acqua Viva by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Acqua Viva by Profumum

Absolutely. Great recommendation. I have a bottle. It's funny. Sometimes it goes a little "pledge like" on me in the dry down. Not always, just sometimes. Also a little bit of a draw back is the price, $215.00f or 100ml for essentially a one note frag. Big bucks to smell like a lemon, but that's what it takes for longevity in a citrus frag, and I'm big on longevity.

Speaking of Lime, I forgot Montale's Aromatic Lime - an amazing 3-D Lime Peel fragrance that's rich and fresh and long lasting. Very special.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Speaking of Lime, I forgot Montale's Aromatic Lime - an amazing 3-D Lime Peel fragrance that's rich and fresh and long lasting. Very special.

I have a 5ml decant of Aromatic Lime I just got last week. Very nice indeed. Fresh lime with a woody dry down. Longevity is Ok with me, not great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    This one fly's under the radar, for some reason here, and that is Eau pour Le Jeune by MPG. Opens with the most embracing Orange that you can imagine, joined by a touch of Lemon, and a hint of Bergamot.Shortly joined by a hint of nutmeg, and a note that I am familar with, but can't quite put my finger on.dry down is prolonged, with the most enjoyable gentle woods, and a hint of Musk. Can't say enough about this fragrance, but you be the judge! Last's a good 6-7 Hrs. on me. Get a sample!
    I have a sample but haven't tried it out just yet. Just a minute..
    *Applies to wrist*.
    Hmmm..
    Opening is extremely orange. Not quite fond of it though. Tomorrow should be a good day to try this full day. Going to be warm.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrblowtorch View Post
    Hermes - Concentree d'Orange Verte
    This one lasts maybe 5 mins.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Boucheron Pour Homme eau de parfum

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert.

Silver Mountain Water and Chrome are to very fresh scents that last, but neither are real citrus.
    Dunhill fresh lasts and lasts, and is almost too fresh, but not citrus at all.
    And the secret to citrus longevity is spraying on clothes/cuffs/collars (except white).

I bought Bois de Cedrat for a very good price, only 65 bucks. But still, I was disappointed. I wanted it to have more "body". I never pay retail prices, except for the british perfumes, which are never on sale.

Bois de Cedrat and Citrus Bigarrade are EDT's and have really different compositions from Royal Water. They're watery and minimal, while Royal Water is alot more robust. CB lasts 10 seconds on me, but Royal Water goes all day into evening. I'm really surprised that thebeck found it so short, since most fragrances don't last all that long on me. I'm even more surprised he trashed it!

I hope you bought it for cheap and didn't pay retail!

Creed Orange Spice is my favorite citrus scent and it last for days on my skin.

Basenotes Institution

Absolutely. Great recommendation. I have a bottle. It's funny. Sometimes it goes a little "pledge like" on me in the dry down. Not always, just sometimes. Also a little bit of a draw back is the price, $215.00f or 100ml for essentially a one note frag. Big bucks to smell like a lemon, but that's what it takes for longevity in a citrus frag, and I'm big on longevity.
    Yes the 'Lemon Pledge' scent association...I wonder if non US Basenoters get confused when we Americans speak of a fragrance smelling 'pledge like'??

But yes, sometimes it is hard not to associate certain lemon scents with lemon scented furniture polish. It's not that the perfume is actually bad, or cheap - but if you grew up smelling lemon scented furniture polish, it's hard not to associate a fragrance with this olfactory memory.

Nonetheless, I am happy to report I get no Lemon Pledge associations with Acqua Viva.

Now I know what Pledge is....

Sung Homme? It's a long lasting one.... and Aigner Black Icedrops, it has a 6 hour longevity on me with about 8 sprays.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yes the 'Lemon Pledge' scent association...I wonder if non US Basenoters get confused when we Americans speak of a fragrance smelling 'pledge like'??

Very considerate of you. I had guessed it might be something like it. We probably have the same, but under a different label. Bad stink! Of course they recommend to use it any time one goes around dusting, and the office smells accordingly on Monday morning. It's really vile. I feel the stench in my nose, just thinking about it.
    If you could now post those infamous 'Urinal cakes', please?....
    Last edited by narcus; 31st March 2008 at 08:41 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

next time you throw a bottle in the trash can you usps it to me instead ill pay shipping

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Very considerate of you. I had guessed it might be something like it. We probably have the same, but under a different label. Bad stink! Of course they recommend to use it any time one goes around dusting, and the office smells accordingly on Monday morning. It's really vile. I feel the stench in my nose, just thinking about it.
    If you could now post those infamous 'Urinal cakes', please?....
    Urinal cakes, 3 oz. I think these are cherry scented (thus the wonderful pink color)

I think you should give Monsieur Balmain a try. It can be had for cheap and is an excellent lemon scent with some spicy undertones. I find it to be long lasting, at least for a lemon scent. Don't let the price fool you on this one!

Urinal cakes, 3 oz. I think these are cherry scented (thus the wonderful pink color)

Mmmm, they look delicious and I bet they smell wonderful. Uhm... not!

new hugo boss pure, good sillage and very good longevity, and is definitely citrus-dominated. but it's not natural citrus, it's the unmistakable smell of tangerine/peach chewing gum.

I am stocked up for staying fresh - hidden away, I have collected:

Bois d' Cedrat - the NOW of fresh!
    Citrus Bigarrade - fresh, but not too fresh . . . .
    Outrageous - over the top and outside the box of freshness
    Signoricci - under the radar and too cool to even apply for the job.
    Live Jazz - mint, grapefruit, coriander - yes.
    Captain by Molyneaux - oceans of fresh - almost forgotten, but still carving the horizon!
    CdG Soda - zing! the uncitrus of freshness.
    Gendarme - sophisticated & fresh.

... fresh and set!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 2nd April 2008 at 04:19 AM.

frequent showers will keep you fresh always!

I tried Fresh Herperides---Wow! What a strong citris bomb it was for me. Not what I'd wear regularly though.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

The orange in Le Roy de Soleil won't quit, but you had better like sandalwood. The lemon in Montana blue box (2001) lasts a long time too.