Code of Conduct

Default the vintage dream perfume arrived....

I posted awhile back with a question - if you spotted your vintage dream perfume for $95 at an antique store - couldn't sniff if, don't know the concentration, just had to go by the outside package - would you purchase?

The overwhelming majority of people said "absolutely yes".

Yesterday evening, returning home after running errands, I received the package. Placed in a styrofoam peanuts filled box, I find a bubble wrapped square. The bubble wrap comes off and there is the fragrance box: pale blue silk with ivory/cream "JP" initials evenly scattered in white embroidery covering the sides and top. There is a dark navy blue ribbon, perhaps 3/4 inch wide, encircling the lower third of the box. The ribbon has been neatly cut at the sides of the box and the cut looks recent, as there is very little fraying from the ribbon. The outside of the box is clearly vintage - when have you last purchased a scent with a silk, embroidered covered box?!...and there is one small scuff mark at the upper right, about 1 cm x 0.5 cm in dimension.

I turn the box over and there is a rectangular white sticker with navy print centered on the navy blue ribbon that says: "PARFUM", the name of the fragrance, "JEAN PATOU", the number "2107" on the left, and "PARIS" on the right, with "Made in France" on the bottom. Printed onto the box is "Box Made in France" below the white sticker.

I open the box and the embroidered light blue silk and ivory fabric lines the entire inside top and bottom of the box. Nestled into the bottom of the box is a space, outlined with what feels like soft white muslin or cotton, for the perfume bottle. I take the perfume bottle out of its space and inspect the top - it has a goldtone screw top lid with no wear whatsoever. The fluid is light gold. The bottle is smooth and somewhat flat, like a smooth river stone. Although I wouldn't consider the bottle beautiful or eyecatching, it has a solid simplicity about it that is lovely and it matches the elegance of the packaging.

On the bottom of the bottle it says "Bottle Made in France" and "Jean Patou". On the front of the bottle, at the bottom, is "JEAN PATOU, Paris"...and in simple, beautiful script on the front center, the name of my vintage dream perfume...

...Caline.

Thanks to you all and your encouragement, I think I have a one ounce bottle of Caline parfum.

Default Re: the vintage dream perfume arrived....

Out of breath here having done all this reading sitting on the edge of my chair.

Caline! Wowsers big time --> Congratulations! Let us now how it behaves on you, OK?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/timein.../item/14PCB347

Does it look like this? Have you smelled it yet? You must be walking with your feet off the ground. Can any "real life" people around you appreciate your thrill?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Congratulations on your new treasure. I read a good review of the reissued Caline (that was again discontinued) and I am sure the vintage would be even more beautiful - I find that vintage parfum that has aldehydes develop with a richer and deeper aroma. Let us know how it smells on you.

Swoon!

Smile Re: the vintage dream perfume arrived....

You found your treasure! Lucky you! keep us informed, will you?

Quarry - that's the one I purchased! Thank you for posting those photos! Now you can all have a better look at what I tried to describe. If I wasn't so unskilled with the computer, I could have just posted photos instead of all those words!

The top was on the bottle fairly tight - I presume from the seller taking precautions about spillage. I opened the bottle immediately last night and took a sniff and knew I had the parfum formulation - even though I've never smelled it, the depth was there. I was on my way out to dinner and was running a tad late, so I didn't apply.

This morning, I am wearing Caline parfum and feel like a princess. My first and only experience with Caline was through the Ma collection - purchased perhaps four years ago - I have a 6 ml small mini of EDT and fell straight away for it as I was going through the entire collection.

The parfum is deeper and more complex, much like a pronounded chypre accord at first; I'm not sure if this is due to age or the formulation. I've been wearing a very small amount - a q-tip doesn't entirely fit into the bottle top, so the tip only slightly moistens when I turn the bottle over to apply with a q-tip - for about 4 hours and it's divine - I get that shimmering green/floral/soapy/soft aldehyde affect that I'm so fond of in the EDT, co-mingled with a deep, but subtle and refined base. The fragrance that I'm most familiar with that Caline parfum best corresponds to is the original First, but Caline isn't as sophisticated or mature or rich; this would be a young, developing First - two sides of a beautiful spectrum.

The only house I could imagine coming up with a green floral this beautiful - at this point - is Caron. I've been very, very patiently waiting for Caron to do a fantastic, classy women's green floral frag. So many greens lack depth - or they're too atringent - or they're too foral - or they're too masculine - or they're too wimpy - or they're too sweet - or they're too sour - or they're too cloying, etc., etc. If a green floral is done just right (and there are so few examples that I know of, so that must be a tough task for the perfumer - or perhaps the market demand just isn't there, I don't know), there is no better/classier perfume smell in this world, IMO.

I've never worn vintage, so this is a real treat - beyond my wildest hopes perfumewise.

The woman I purchased from was totally responsive and reliable and had great customer service- she gets a high recommendation from me.

If I chatted about this with "real life people", they'd be happy for me, but not the way you would be, as they would not entirely understand how difficult this scent is to come by.

Thanks again for your encouragement - I'm so happy I took the risk.

According to Jan Moran's Fabulous Fragrances book:

top: greens, aldehydes, mimosa, mandarin, bergamot, basil
    heart: iris, orange blossom, patchouli, moss, coriander
    base: musk, amber
    Last edited by seattlelight; 30th March 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot to post notes

Well done, seattlelight, I'm so pleased for you. It sounds fabulous. May you enjoy every drop.

Seattlelight, what an enticing account of getting to know the package. I'm so happy for you.

Blog Entries

What fun! I am so jealous of you!

How lovely! I'm delighted for you....and also a little jealous!

really happy to share a little bit of your excitement!

summer means fireflys

I am so happy for you! A little risk was so worth it in this case.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Congratulations! I love happy endings! It's a bit like a life lesson about taking chances. I'll remember your good fortune next time I'm on the fence about something.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Fabulous seattlelight! I love happy endings too and I am so pleased for you!

cool I was following this thread earlier, im glad you got all you hoped for

ps - I voted for the "just buy it option"

Oh congratulations!
    As An_Oud_Girl pointed out, your tale is one to remember for the future.
    Sometimes it does all work out.
    *contented sigh*
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thank you for the feedback - it was my first foray into the vintage world and I appreciate the encouragement I received to give it a try. For sure, I wouldn't have purchased if it weren't for the BN community support. Also, please don't be jealous of the acquisition - I've been on the lookout for four or five years. That's longer than it took me to acquire degrees, that's longer than every romantic relationship I've ever had. This was an exercise in persistence and patience and, even then, I wasn't entirely sure what to do once I found it! For me, there are many life lessons in this experience.

Good for you, and I'm happy it smells as good as it looksI Congratulations!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I am so happy for you!

As a vintage scent lover it is always a thrill to find something you thought you could only dream of having!
    Enjoy it!

It is so nice to see you bubbling over with excitement and joy.

I am so glad this worked out the way enchanted tales are supposed to!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost