Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default "Hip" / "Youthful" Creed Fragrance for a Beginner

So, I've already scoured the forums, and I think I've answer my own question; however I feel it necessary to receive the opinions of individuals more versed with their nostrils than I.

I'm looking to acquire a Creed cologne that speak of being hip, youthful, and reflects me as an original individual. Something I could wear out to a club as easily as I could my classroom (I'm a 10th / 11th grade English teacher, and am currently 24 yrs old). My current wardrobe consists of:

-Acqua Di Gio
    -Polo Blue
    -Polo Black
    -A*Men
    -Burberry London
    -Bulgari Aqua Marine
    -Prada For Men
    -Armani Code
    -Lucky Number 6
    -Michael by Michael Kors
    -Cool Water

and most recently: Bois Du Portugal (which feels a little too....stiff? for me right now)

So, my horizons are set on trying out on Tuesday at the ONE Neiman Marcus in my state:

-Himilaya
    -Silver Mountain Water
    -Erolfa

The last time I was there I received samples of Original Santal, Original Vetiver and Orange Spice. I really like both OV and OS...just curious what the aforementioned three will be like.

So, now I turn to you, my fellow BN'ers...what will tickle my fancy and set me up well for the future?

Default Re: "Hip" / "Youthful" Creed Fragrance for a Beginner

For my tastes, Erolfa is the best casual scent and OS is probably the best clubbing scent...

...but if you want one to serve both purposes (and that is hard) maybe Himalaya? OV is extraordinarily good too.

Is there any reason you haven't mentioned GIT? Don't be scared off by it's alleged popularity - it's pretty rarified air we breathe on Basenotes, so while it may seem common and humdrum here, in the real world it is as rare as hen's teeth. And t has worked VERY well for me both clubbing and in professional environments.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Sur la Plage

I would recommend trying Acier Aluminium
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would recommend trying Acier Aluminium
    Acier Aluminium is my personal holy grail scent, however, "Hip" and "Youthful" it is not. The OP should go for Erolfa and Silver Mountain Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    For my tastes, Erolfa is the best casual scent and OS is probably the best clubbing scent...

...but if you want one to serve both purposes (and that is hard) maybe Himalaya? OV is extraordinarily good too.

Is there any reason you haven't mentioned GIT? Don't be scared off by it's alleged popularity - it's pretty rarified air we breathe on Basenotes, so while it may seem common and humdrum here, in the real world it is as rare as hen's teeth. And t has worked VERY well for me both clubbing and in professional environments.

Ged
    Is OS Original Spice or Original Santal?

I haven't mentioned GIT because I found it strikingly similar to my Cool Water...why kill one bird with two stones when one will work just fine?

Why is Acier Aluminum not "hip" or "youthful"? What about it takes away from that category?

Erolfa but probably more so Himalaya or Silver Mountain Water
    Last edited by Mattybumpkin; 31st March 2008 at 02:45 AM.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Have you tried the new Tabarome? Its sparkling ginger, opening note smells very modern to me. Erolfa is also a good idea. I find Silver Mountain Water's fruit/black current note a bit tiresome. Original Vetiver is quite nice, too, but I agree with those that say Mugler Cologne is a better deal and quite similar.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st March 2008 at 03:05 AM.

I'd go with the Original Vetiver... Virgin Island Water would work as well...
    Last edited by KMF; 31st March 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Dependent

What is the importance of it being Creed?

Millesime Imperial is really nice stuff that fits your description. Give that a sniff next time you are in NM.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I am 23 and had similar criteria in my buying Creeds. I ended up buying GIT, MI, and Erolfa, and I would rank them in the order I have listed.

I don't find Creeds to be "Youthful" lol. Maybe Original Vetiver or Millesime Imperial...
    --------------------------------------
    Look outside the box. Penhaligon's Endymion is hip and youthful.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 31st March 2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I don't find Creeds to be "Youthful" lol. Maybe Original Vetiver or Millesime Imperial...Look outside the box. Penhaligon's Endymion is hip and youthful.
    When I was in my late teens, living in NYC, going out to art school during the day and Studio 54, Danceteria and The Pyramid at night, hanging out with Persian exiles - we called it Disco Punk, you get the picture - I bathed in Van Cleef and Arpels. I wanted to appear more sophisticated than I really was, and on some level, I thought that wearing something strong and European, in a elegant bottle, trimmed in gold, would disguise the fact that I grew up in a small town that I had managed to escape. By the mid-80's I really lost all interest in fragrances.
    About 5 years ago. Now in my middle age, I rediscovered fragrance as something to savor and explore. I really only wear them for myself now.
    Perhaps males start out more conservative and loosen up as they get older.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st March 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Acier Aluminium is my personal holy grail scent, however, "Hip" and "Youthful" it is not. The OP should go for Erolfa and Silver Mountain Water.
    I personally do not know I would classify any Creed as "hip and youthful". I don't think that is what Creed is all about. Although Creed scents can be worn by everyone, young and old. I think Acier Aluminium would fit the "individual original" quality he mentioned - not a lot of people wear it. Plus if he hasn't smelled it before, I think it would be an opportunity just to do so at Neimans.

If I had to classify any Creeds as hip and youthful I guess I would say Original Santal, Milliseme Imperial, and Green Irish Tweed - just because the other colognes that people claim "borrowed" the scents from Creed are/were considered "trendy".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Silver Mountain Water

If you think GIT is too similar to CW you'll LOVE Polo Bl...err, I mean Erolfa of course To my nose Polo Blue is an exact replica of Erolfa. I'd suggest Millésime Imperial as the most youthful Creed scent.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Look outside the box. Penhaligon's Endymion is hip and youthful.
    My friend Paul had exactly the opposite to say about Endymion! He said that it smelled like something a mature, distinguished businessman would wear! I think that it is both of the above, along with mysterious and sexy and masculine!

Yeah, I don't really find Creeds to be a "youthful" - smelling line of fragrances, but the ones that I'd find most appropriate for a younger guy in his early twenties would be: Silver Mountain Water, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Original Vetiver, Citrus Bigarrade, Neroli Savauge, Zesty Mandarine Pamplemousse, Himalaya, Bois de Cedrat, Green Valley, Royal Water, and Virgin Island Water (if you live somewhere hot - and you don't! )
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I think Ruggles's suggestion of Tabarome Millésime is a good one, but I'd also add that I think Orange Spice is fantastic and would work well for the settings you describe.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    To my nose Polo Blue is an exact replica of Erolfa.
    Ammmm.... No.
    hate to be an as****e but shouldn't this go under the Just Starting Out forum?
    Last edited by irish; 31st March 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Himalaya would fit that category. Erolfa, even though really fresh, might not be "youthful".

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Ammmm.... No.
    hate to be an as****e but shouldn't this go under the Just Starting Out forum?
    I think it's called the "Just Starting Out on Creed" forum.

The only Creed that qualifies for being "hip" and "youthful" at the same time is GIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Perhaps males start out more conservative and loosen up as they get older.
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think it's called the "Just Starting Out on Creed" forum.
    Yeah, it's high time we had one
    Last edited by Amit; 31st March 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Ammmm.... No.
    Well, maybe it smells differently on your skin but I did a side by side comparison (PB on the left, Erolfa on the right wrist) and I could hardly detect any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I think Ruggles's suggestion of Tabarome Millésime is a good one, but I'd also add that I think Orange Spice is fantastic and would work well for the settings you describe.
    I'm actually wearing a sample of Orange Spice today, and must say that I really like it! It does kind of remind me of something that a younger individual, more youthful / playful would enjoy wearing. How does Orange Spice compare to Neroli Savauge?

From what I'm hearing, SMW might be a strong candidate. I've been bouncing back and forth between Original Vetiver and Original Santal the past couple of days...I just feel as though there is something more in-tune with what I'm looking for. Erolfa sounds interesting. Before a couple of days ago I had never heard of it before!

Please, keep the opinions coming, this is an awesome thread so far!

Quote Originally Posted by angle View Post
    I'm actually wearing a sample of Orange Spice today, and must say that I really like it! It does kind of remind me of something that a younger individual, more youthful / playful would enjoy wearing. How does Orange Spice compare to Neroli Savauge?
    Orange Spice and Kouros are nearly identical. Neroli Sauvage compares to Citrus Bigarrade. Erolfa smells like the salty ocean. I bet you would really like Erolfa as it is quite unique and energetic.

I've heard that SMW (I believe) has something of an "ink" note in it. Now, I can't say I've ever actually "smelled" ink...what do they mean by that?

Virgin Island Water
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by angle View Post
    I've heard that SMW (I believe) has something of an "ink" note in it. Now, I can't say I've ever actually "smelled" ink...what do they mean by that?
    Ink actually does have a very distinct smell to it. But I don't nearly know SMW well enough to tell you whether there is an ink note.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    Millesime Imperial is really nice stuff that fits your description. Give that a sniff next time you are in NM.
    I agree. Millesime Imperial seems to fit what you're looking for.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

My BF is "very" into Creed and we have smelled a lot of them. I think Virgin Island Water would be a great choice for you. I also don't know anyone who does not love SMW. Green Irish Tweed is a big favorite too. I am not crazy about Creed's Vetiver - I think Guerlain's Vetiver is peerless and blows away all others.

Another Creed you may want to smell is Imperial MIllesime.

Avoid the Tabarome - ugh...

Erolfa and MI are gorgeous, but "hip" and "youthful" don't come to mind with either.

For my money, I'd make it Silver Mountain Water (very interesting and even somewhat edgy -- also easily unisex).

Himalaya's great, but you can spend far less money and get Paco Rabanne XS for almost the exact same frag.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I concur with both of samplermike's points here; AA is a superb, distinguishing, complex fragrance which goes through many changes on the olfactory journey it takes you on... it's fabulous! However 'youthful' would not be a suitable description... this is one to look forward to!

SMW, on the other hand, is youthful. It's clean, beautiful, very distinctive and my favourite fragrance of all. Though it gets talked about a lot here I don't know anybody else, personally, who wears it. When I have been complimented on it and enquired as to what it is I'm wearing, I have never had any sign of recognition when I say that it's Creed Silver Mountain Water. I'm from England though, maybe it's not so rare in the US.

Erolfa is my second favourite daytime fragrance. It's clean, marine freshness done better that anyone else and yes, this too could be described as youthful.

I wouldn't be without either of them. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemimagold View Post
    I am not crazy about Creed's Vetiver - I think Guerlain's Vetiver is peerless and blows away all others.
    I am also 'very into Creed' but have tried both their Vetivers (the '48 and the Original) and been impressed with niether. I find the first too harsh and the second like somekind of bathroom cleaner (nice bottle though!).

The Guerlain is the only Vetiver for me too - Love it!
    Last edited by Silver Mountaineer; 4th April 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm with Agent Provocateur - Virgin Island Water. It's very youthful and relaxed.
    And now you have a nice shortlist of things to smell when you go to the Creed counter next time.
    (Plus, nip across to Guerlain and try their Vetiver - it really is excellent.)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729