Code of Conduct

Default Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage / French Lover

Can anyone verify if these are the same scents? Originally I had read that French Lover was to be "reformulated" as well as renamed for US market and I'd read a post on a review blog which stated that it smelled a bit different. I emailed both Editions de Parfum as well as Barney's a couple of weeks ago but sadly never recieved a reply.

Can anyone who's smelled both of them confirm that they are in fact exactly the same?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ab74; 31st March 2008 at 04:26 AM.

Default Re: Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage / French Lover

I think they are..but man I love Bois D Orage

I can't verify the smell the same part but the SA at Barney's in Boston which has a big display of all of the Malle frags said that they are the same. He did not make any mention of any re-formulation.
    So take that for what ever its worth. Around $.02 I believe is the going rate
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just renamed for marketing in the U.S.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Blog Entries

I really want to try this...

47: i only wanted to post to verify that ur avatar creeps the heck out of me. i swatted at my screen!
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

If you care to look into the early threads of 'French Lover', you'll notice that the name of this perfume was discussed (and dismissed) more than its smell. To me this was a rather astounding phenomenon particularly as most of the criticism seemed to come from America. But there may be associations connected to 'french lover' that Europeans obviously do not share.

Imagine two persons meeting for lunch near Washington Square in New York. She gives him a cordial hug and notices a cologne she had never smelled on him before. Half surprised, half questioning she says laudingly: "Oh! French lover!" He gives her a kiss and a rather amused smile back, and off they go to lunch. It really happened in the spirit of the moment. I wasn't witness, of course, but someone close to him told me this story. That's how the name was born for his latest release which had been created under the brief / job title 'Bois d'Orage'. Later, there seem to have been serious objections against the name, and it was recommended to Malle to use the original job title instead. But I am glad that Malle left things unchanged for the European market! Everybody seems to like the name French Lover over here - it's playful and expresses a certain kind of French humor. Fortunately there are a few independent minds everywhere in the world, or else Barney's Boston wouldn't sell both bottles (which again amuses this poster).
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Wonderful fragrance...

I got a bottle of French Lover sent from France because I liked the name better (and at the time it wasn't in Barneys yet). I think it smells exactly the same.

What is the longevity like on this one? I have only sniffed it at Barneys and have never given it a full wearing.
    I have heard it is weak from some and great from others. I cannot get a firm read on this one from the forum discussion so far.

Blog Entries

I'm curious about this one as well, this was the one scent the Malle questionnaire said I couldn't live without. Should be getting a sample soon.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Just to make sure I was clear. In the Malle display at Barney's in Boston the bottles are labeled "Bois d'Orage". The SA just informed me that it was the same scent sold as "French Lover" everywhere else.
    I went into Barney's to try this as after filling out the online questionnaire and cosulting with Tiphaine we agreed that this would be the one for me to try.
    After trying it out I am in the camp that it seemed weak to me as well. Especially in counterpoint to both Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices. I have a sample which I'm going to try out in the next week or so at which time I'll see how it stands up, or not, on my skin.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

It's definitely weaker than Musk Ravageur, but that's not a bad thing. I find it long-lasting enough. I find it to be a very nice vetiver scent with a hint of angelica, very smoothly done, no rough edges or fireworks. I like it a lot.

I wearing this one for nearly one year. Maximum 2 sprays on the neck. Holds the whole day. It is not weak. It is ruff and also smooth...very manly and animalistic...nothing sweet or fresh...sometimes it reminds me of Terre d´ Hermés or Gucci PH

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    After trying it out I am in the camp that it seemed weak to me as well. Especially in counterpoint to both Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices.
    Oh definitely. Both MR and NE have a phenomenal presence and good sillage. French Lover is by no means a nose rapist. It's quite subtle and therefore suited for a different personality, or different situations. Don't underestimate its longevity though - 8 hours or more, and when it hits my jacket: >24h! Gucci PH? In a way, yes. Fortunately it does not remind me of TdH though. I like TdH, but only on others and for a short while.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st March 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

According to The Perfumed Court website, they claim the fragrance has been slightly altered for the USA market along with the name change.
    Sorry I can't confirm, I haven't sampled either version.

Eric

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    What is the longevity like on this one? I have only sniffed it at Barneys and have never given it a full wearing.
    I have heard it is weak from some and great from others. I cannot get a firm read on this one from the forum discussion so far.
    It's one of those scents that you really have to over apply to 'get' - I liken it to a CdG. It's the angelica which really ramps it up at the beginning (if you all remember, I thought it smelled like Jaisalmer at the middle notes) and then the base is very plant-based animalic vetiver (if that makes sense).

Back on topic: It's the same juice!!

Sometimes weaker isn't necessarily a bad thing. I say 'weak-er' because I don't personally think Bios d'Orage/FL is weak, and I'd personally feel more at ease wearing it in more situations than say, Anteus. Call it subdued, but don't call it weak.

Alas, if I didn't already have a cabinet of excellent fragrances, FL would probably be on my to-buy list.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

People often have a hard time smelling chypres properly. Bois d'Orage a virile chypre that becomes a part of you rather than surrounding you like a halo. Like any good masculine fragrance should be, it's perceptible but not brash, never surrounding you like a halo. As Malle once said, you shouldn't be able to smell a man's fragrance from more than three feet away. The output is as redolent and the scent lasts a long time.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th July 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks all for the helpful discussion on FL/Bois d'Orage. I am starting to feel that this one in terms of sillage and nature may be one I need to give a closer look. I sometimes have a heavy hand, so frags that are discreet and hard to overspray are of interest. Also, as a lover of vetiver and all things earthy these days, I came back to this one as a possible decant purchase to live with for awhile.

The Barneys SA in Dallas told me she had sold Bois d'Orage to several Physicians and Dentists, because ot the frag's discreet but classy characteristics. She was trying hard to sell me a bottle that day. I ended up getting Absinth - Nasomatto.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Thanks all for the helpful discussion on FL/Bois d'Orage. I am starting to feel that this one in terms of sillage and nature may be one I need to give a closer look. I sometimes have a heavy hand, so frags that are discreet and hard to overspray are of interest. Also, as a lover of vetiver and all things earthy these days, I came back to this one as a possible decant purchase to live with for awhile.

The Barneys SA in Dallas told me she had sold Bois d'Orage to several Physicians and Dentists, because ot the frag's discreet but classy characteristics. She was trying hard to sell me a bottle that day. I ended up getting Absinth - Nasomatto.
    Yes j_w_s - I highly recommend you get a decant to play with first. I did, and ultimately respected it but decided not to buy a bottle. This juice is too expensive to buy with hesitation IMO.

I got a sample of this yesterday along with Bigarade Concentree and Musc Ravageur. Of the three, I think French Lover/Bois d'Orage is my favorite. It is a brisk fragrance with a note of darkness at its heart. At first I thought I didn't like it, but I kept coming back and sniffing it again and again.

I haven't worn any of the three for a whole day yet, so I don't know about the longevity and sillage. To me, it smells very chic and masculine without having to resort to the metals and musks that so many scents just seem to sort of randomly throw in to reassure us male wearers that we don't smell, you know, like a big girly mess.

I'm probably going to wear it for the day tomorrow to see how we get along, Frawnch lover and I. I think it may end up being something I would rather smell on a man I was kissing than on myself. Maybe I should skip the cologne and try to find an actual French lover. Hmmmmm....

This one is just too heavy on the orange (rind?) for my tastes. Cloying in the most evil ways, almost on a Joop Homme level. Though I can admire it's originality, I can not deal with its entrails.

Anybody in the US want the rest of my sample for free (not a carded sample but a decant as Barney's had to decant it)? I'd rather gift it than pitch it. PM me if interested
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    This one is just too heavy on the orange (rind?) for my tastes. Cloying in the most evil ways, almost on a Joop Homme level. Though I can admire it's originality, I can not deal with its entrails.

Anybody in the US want the rest of my sample for free (not a carded sample but a decant as Barney's had to decant it)? I'd rather gift it than pitch it. PM me if interested
    I have no idea what you are talking about - in Franch Lover Bois d'Orage there is not one speck of citrus rind - its a vetiver scent first and foremost - and bone dry at that. I would call them and tell them there has to have been a mix up.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about - in Franch Lover Bois d'Orage there is not one speck of citrus rind - its a vetiver scent first and foremost - and bone dry at that. I would call them and tell them there has to have been a mix up.
    Agree. Perhaps the SA got it mixed up with Noir Epices. French Lover starts with Angelica.

A new interpretation of Angelica, a mid-aromatic, mid-spicy note.
    A raw material linked to natural complements, such as Cedar wood and Vetiver, magnified by Iris from Florence, spiced up by Pimento and Galbanum, and lying on Patchouli, Incense and Musks: a vegetal animality to serve a confident virility.
    Pierre Bourdon and Frederic Malle worked on the idea of creating the ultimate man fragrance: a modern, eternal and refined scent.

Maximum 2 sprays not more...it is very strong...I hope somebody believe me...I wears this now for 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Agree. Perhaps the SA got it mixed up with Noir Epices. French Lover starts with Angelica.
    No, it twas me that got mixed up. It is Noir Epices that has the ugly orange in it. That's what happens when you get 3 Malle samples and 1 decant.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976