Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think they changed Santal Noble

Someone commented that MPG Route du Vetiver in the new bottle doesn't smell as earthy and raw as the one in the old bottle. Well I just got a new 100 ml bottle of Santal Noble and compared it to the little I have left in my old 90 ml bottle. These definitely do not smell the same. The old one is stronger with a deep coffee note. The new one the coffee note is much weaker but the sandalwood is more obvious but more synthetic smelling. Still a good scent but I really wish they wouldn't mess with their fragrances. Has anyone else noticed this difference with Santal Noble or other MPG's? I also got a new bottle of Racine but I don't have an old bottle to compare it to.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 31st March 2008 at 01:58 AM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: I think they changed Santal Noble

I bought a new 100 ml bottle too, but I had an older sample, and I did notice a small difference too. Yet, I wasn't sure if it was really a bad change... I did get some Route du Vetiver, but I got the older 90 ml bottle and it matched my sample. But you're right, I wish they wouldn't mess with it. Particularly I spend a good bit of $$'s on samples, and then when you actually do find something that is bottle worthy ( I have to smile in remembrance of "Seinfeld" Spongeworthiness!) they go and change the thing. I'm waiting for a bottle of Iris Bleu Gris now, and I definitely hope it smells like my sample!
    Last edited by Schachman; 31st March 2008 at 02:17 AM.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, off topic. I thought "spongeworthy" was from Seinfeld?

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I did get some Route du Vetiver, but I got the older 90 ml bottle and it matched my sample.
    Oh, ok. Good.

(I bumped that vetiver thread before I saw this here)

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Sorry, off topic. I thought "spongeworthy" was from Seinfeld?
    Yep... you're right! Fixed it! I was typing faster than my head was thinking!
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. It is one of my favorite episodes from the show!

If they have changed the formulations then I will hold off ordering a new bottle of Route du Vetiver and see about getting a vintage bottle! Thanks for the heads up.

Ah the joys of new ownership. Jean Laporte was a master perfumer; why anyone would mess with those frags of his is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind seeing the women's line, with its overused anemic musky base, overhauled though. Sanguine Muskissime would be a true masterpiece if its dry down was one fifth as good as its opening.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 31st March 2008 at 05:23 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Ah the joys of new ownership. Jean Laporte was a master perfumer; why anyone would mess with those frags of his is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind seeing the women's line, with its overused anemic musky base, overhauled though. Sanguine Muskissime would be a true masterpiece if its dry down was one fifth as good as its opening.

It's an ethereal scent, isn't it. I agree that the base (I get a weak sandalwood / musk on this one) could use more presence, but I think that Sanguine Muskissime is a masterpiece even with the weak base.

I just ordered Santal Noble and the 100ml bottle -- I hope it's not too much changed.
    Last edited by foetidus; 31st March 2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling