Code of Conduct

Default Annick Goutal Sables

So I was going to isolate myself in a room and do some studying for an exam I have tomorrow. On the way out of my room I thought isolation would be nicer if I had a scent on. I thought I should go for something I haven't tried, that way studying won't bore me to death, since every now and then I could stop and try to pick up the notes, experience the scent and generally get a feel of it. I was always reluctant to try Sables. Every time I sniff it out of the bottle I get a dominant curry smell which I don't find very pleasant. I got a little repelled by it every time. Then I thought there has to be more to this scent than what initially shows. I applied two sprays, and after exactly ten seconds I began to realize how wrong I have been. I can see this easily going to my favorite 10 fragrances.

The directory doesn't list the notes for Sables, but on my skin I can smell a dominant anise note, and I simply love it. There is one other note that I am certain that I know and have smelled before, but I can't name it just yet. Before, I thought Sables was quite eccentric, but now after experiencing it, I realize that Sable's eccentricity is beautiful.

And yes, I haven't studied a word.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Default Re: Annick Goutal Sables

It is beautiful (IMHO), but it's definitely a try-it-first kind of frag.
    That syrupy, herbal immortelle thing either enchants you or repels you -- there's no middle ground here.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Sur la Plage

I fell in love with Sables the first time I saw/tried it in France, and I immediately bought a bottle on the spot.

Excellent sillage and longevity - a little goes a long way. Definitely one of my top 5 fragrances!

Composition: wild immortelle flowers, vanilla, Mysore sandalwood, Indonesian and Madagascan pepper
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I fell in love with Sables the first time I saw/tried it in France, and I immediately bought a bottle on the spot.

Excellent sillage and longevity - a little goes a long way. Definitely one of my top 5 fragrances!

Composition: wild immortelle flowers, vanilla, Mysore sandalwood, Indonesian and Madagascan pepper
    Which one of those gives the anise smell? I'm sure there's an anise smell!
    And great sillage indeed. Two sprays are doing magic here!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    And great sillage indeed. Two sprays are doing magic here!
    I don't know, but that's a good question Mostapha.

I don't think I have ever smelled anise specifically from Sables. But something about it reminds me of Christmas time, especially the baking that my mother and aunt used to do. My family is 100% Italian, so many different types of Italian cookies/cakes were made for the holidays. This included pizzelle and biscotti, both which use anise in the recipe. So you definitley may be getting that smell!

I always wear Sables on Christmas day because it brings back many fond memories for me.

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know, but that's a good question Mostapha.

I don't think I have ever smelled anise specifically from Sables. But something about it reminds me of Christmas time, especially the baking that my mother and aunt used to do. My family is 100% Italian, so many different types of Italian cookies/cakes were made for the holidays. This included pizzelle and biscotti, both which use anise in the recipe. So you definitley may be getting that smell!

I always wear Sables on Christmas day because it brings back many fond memories for me.

Joe
    There you go. I couldn't miss the anise smell too, it's one of my favorite hot drinks besides we make anise cookies here too and I love it!

Is Sables more of a night scent?

Sur la Plage

There you go. I couldn't miss the anise smell too, it's one of my favorite hot drinks besides we make anise cookies here too and I love it!

Is Sables more of a night scent?
    I personally use it as a night/special occasion scent. I wouldn't wear it to work everyday or for casual weekend activities.

But to each his own......

Sables is definitely one of my top favorites. Very unsual fragrance..... I love wearing it in the winter with a big wool sweater.....makes me feel snuggly warm. I LOVE the way it smells two hours later....very masculine and sexy. I get more tobacco and leather from this than anise......I may be completely off but thats what it smells like to me.

If you like the anise note, try AG's Mandragore.....I found that one to have a stonger anise scent.

This is one of my favourites, although for some reason, they changed the formula. A friend of mine used to love this, but they now come out in a rash on their neck after spraying it on. I have no problems.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

The immortelle note - which smells like sweet pipe tobacco in it's packet - is the note that ultimately grabs my attention in Sables.
    Renato

Sables is excellent, and definitely in my top 5. It's one of the few fragrances where I've literally swooned after first sniffing.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

It's a good fragrance, and difficult to find.

To my nose, Dior Eau Noire ripped off Sables, big time.
    And both are good.

You know, I love Sables but there is something about the base notes that seem to last for days. I am not kidding, I have to be careful not to wear Sables on my wrist when I wear a leather watch band or it will magically take over my scent of the day even days later! It's sort of a burnt maple syrup kind of smell. I guess Immortelle is just potent stuff.

I've previously been on the verge of buying this one blind on ebay (seems to be the only source at the moment that I know of). Instead, I just put a sample in my "shopping cart" at TPC!

Basenotes Institution

Yes, Mostapaha it's the immortelle flower note you're smelling. It smells quite different blended with other notes and on different people's skin. On me, it smells slightly like celery seed and honey...yet when I ask others to smell it on me they describe it as maple syrup-esque and smoky.

Sables is a little too much for me, though. I prefer Eau Noire by Christian Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sables is a little too much for me, though. I prefer Eau Noire by Christian Dior.
    I can understand this. Two sprays are going non stop for nearly 24 hours now, with the first few hours being incredibly strong! Seriously this has never happened before. Neck sprays are usually gone in no time.

I love Sables, too!

I get mainly the smoky, maple syrup smell that Mike mentioned that others smell on him. I get no celery seed at all. It doesn't seem very complex to me, but damn, it smells so good!

I think Immortelle is known in English as Everlasting. I'm not sure if that refers to the lifespan of the plant or flowers or to the smell.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 1st April 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks for bringing up Sables on the agenda! I didn't forget it since my extensive wearings one year ago, but it was a negative comment from my mother (I won't repeat it here for not distracting you) that made me stop wearing it instantly. Ah, damn maternal authority!
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 1st April 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I think Immortelle is known in English as Everlasting. I'm not sure if that refers to the lifespan of the plant or flowers or to the smell.

noggs
    No, it definitely does not refer to the life of the plant - I have an immortelle plant in my garden, it was planted in the most perfect spot and the plant thrives. Everyone always comments about it, because it's so weird looking. In the US they call it everlasting because the densely hairy flower bulbs will always retain their shape and color when pulled off the plant, even after they're dried.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd April 2008 at 01:47 AM.

I was inspired to wear it today. 70 degrees and humid. I sprayed it on at 8:00AM and it is still going strong at 10:00PM.
    One of my all-time favs.

Yesterday a totally random questions jumped to my mind: Could AG Sables pass as unisex? I think yes. This is too eccentric to be listed as a male fragrance. I think a woman can easily pull it off and smell great.

Thumbs up Re: Annick Goutal Sables

So I was going to isolate myself in a room and do some studying for an exam I have tomorrow. On the way out of my room I thought isolation would be nicer if I had a scent on. I thought I should go for something I haven't tried, that way studying won't bore me to death, since every now and then I could stop and try to pick up the notes, experience the scent and generally get a feel of it. I was always reluctant to try Sables. Every time I sniff it out of the bottle I get a dominant curry smell which I don't find very pleasant. I got a little repelled by it every time. Then I thought there has to be more to this scent than what initially shows. I applied two sprays, and after exactly ten seconds I began to realize how wrong I have been. I can see this easily going to my favorite 10 fragrances.

The directory doesn't list the notes for Sables, but on my skin I can smell a dominant anise note, and I simply love it. There is one other note that I am certain that I know and have smelled before, but I can't name it just yet. Before, I thought Sables was quite eccentric, but now after experiencing it, I realize that Sable's eccentricity is beautiful.

And yes, I haven't studied a word.

Hi Mostapha, i was right and at last you are enjoying SABLES..(one of my favorite perfumes ).I am very glad my friend..Good luck for your exam..

What reminds you of anise is the smell of macchia (ital.) or maquis (fr.), a very strong and imortelle-like smelling kind of shrub you will find almost everywhere (esp. along the shore; Sables means sand) on Corsica and Sardinia!
    Annick Goutal and her husband used to make holidays on Corsica and they loved the smell of maquis. As a reminiscence she created Sables!

http://philevr.club.fr/blocadonf/Maq...quis_corse.php

Here you will find a Corsican singer who praises the maquis/macchia!

I've loved Sables since I first tried it in the early 80's. I'm glad that after a long time being difficult to find that it's back to being widely available

I don't know why I just keep passing Sables up for sampling. I'm beginnibg to realize I really enjoy "Immortelle" - L' homme Sage and Eau Noire are two that intoxicate me every time I wear them.
    Both contain immortelle - Gotta go - it's time to order a sample of Sables.

Yesterday a totally random questions jumped to my mind: Could AG Sables pass as unisex? I think yes. This is too eccentric to be listed as a male fragrance. I think a woman can easily pull it off and smell great.
    It's one of my fave men's scents and I feel totally at ease wearing it.

I love immortelle/maquis/macchia/everlasting flower note, and it's included in some other favourite fragrances, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

This frag seems to be very interesting....hmmmm??? What to do???

A great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    This frag seems to be very interesting....hmmmm??? What to do???
    Buy it :P

I've been pondering over purchasing Sables for a while, now after all the praise it's been getting on this thread I'm gunna make the plunge lol

This was one of the best fragrances that BN drew my attention to, although I already knew most of the Annick Goutal line. It is a comfort scent for me, though for many people it probably smells too weird to be considered comforting.

Reading on the reviews here, the way this fragrance smells, it reminds me of certain fragrances such as Furmerie Turque, Peau d'Espange by Santa Maria Novella, Marquis de Sade which I all love. Will I love Sables?

Basenotes Plus

It maybe less complex than 1740 Marquis de Sade but chances are you will love it. One of the best from Annick Goutal.

An excellent and unusual fragrance. I have sometimes thought of buying it, but I do realize I would wear it rarely.

Sables is a very unique fragrance. When I tried the new Amouage Fate man (which I love) for the first time, I immediately noticed something I have smelled before. It is the Immortelle, and my memory took me back to Sables. Sables was created in 85, but could easily have been one of the new releases from one of todays niche-houses.

One of my signature scents. Pretty unique, and a somptuous drydown... My preferred from Goutal. It's been a while since they released something as interesting. Their latest juices were really less adventurous imo.

Did this one get discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Did this one get discontinued?
    it's still on their website for purchase:

http://www.annickgoutal.com/en/perfu...sterCatalog%29
    (2587)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The only problem with Sables, is that whey you
    wear it just before you have along car drive with your wife and children
    and she asks you to rub it off, what to do then!!

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    The only problem with Sables, is that whey you
    wear it just before you have along car drive with your wife and children
    and she asks you to rub it off, what to do then!!
    You just tell her: "GET OUT"!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    You just tell her: "GET OUT"!
    Or buy her an expensive gift when you get to your destination.

(2604)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Either way, wont work,

I always have to shower again, and apply a counter-part scent!