Code of Conduct

Default A quick question about mixing colognes

Hello Everybody,

I am just a newbie and have been reading members postings about mixing colognes in parts that create a beautiful blend. This morning- i meekly tried doing that in my own rudimentary way. I sprayed two sprays of Gucci Envy and one spray of Guerlains Vetiver and the results are really amazing.

I know my way was very rudimentary so I wanted to know is there a better way to blend two or more colognes.Could the senior members share this with us newbies please?

Also could you share your unique blends on this thread please

Awaiting your responses

Thank you
    Zephyr

Default Re: A quick question about mixing colognes

If you get an atomiser, spray the colognes in the proportions you want into it, and then spray them on your skin, you get a proper 'mix'

If layering, having one on top of the other can also make a difference, experiment !

Blog Entries

Good question. Something I've been thinking about. I have a few frags down that I like and seem to work well. They're all share some similar notes (citrus/bergamot). And thought they might mix/layer well. A quick search turned up some additional threads:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=layering

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=mixing

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...creed+layering

The last two deal more with the Creed line of frags and layering them.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Good question. Something I've been thinking about. I have a few frags down that I like and seem to work well. They're all share some similar notes (citrus/bergamot). And thought they might mix/layer well..... .

Agreed......I found Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien works well to "lighten up" some of the heavier fragrances.....including their own Sables....with the grapefruit/bergamot notes. Also, the empty AG bottles makes great atomizers as they are simple screw-tops.

One spray of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood and one spray of C & E Tricorn gives me an amazing result. Tricorn adds longevity to the Sandalwood and Sandalwood tones down Tricorn's sharp edge.

One spray of Halston Z14 mixes great with one spray of AdP Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress. They smell similar to my nose, yet I get much better longevity than with just one of them alone.

Thumbs up Re: A quick question about mixing colognes

1 Part Green Irish Tweed.
    2 parts Millesime Imperial
    1 Part Original Vetiver

"New Money"

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    One spray of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood and one spray of C & E Tricorn gives me an amazing result. One spray of Halston Z14 mixes great with one spray of AdP Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress.

You've just mentioned two perfumes that I absolutely hate: Z14 and Casswel Masswey Tricorn. They are so artificial and medicinal! I sold my Tricorn and use Z14 as bathroom deodorizer...

[QUOTE=LuciusVorenus;1192532]You've just mentioned two perfumes that I absolutely hate: Z14 and Casswel Masswey Tricorn.QUOTE]

Then, we can never be buddies. JUST JOKING WITH YOU.

Actually, L.V., I think synthetics are under-rated. I don't find Tricorn particularly synthetic, though. However, it definitely contains a sharper variety of sandalwood (Bangalore, as opposed to Mysore.)

Yet, though I recognize and respect the discriminating nose held by my esteemed Brazilian compatriot, Lucius Vorenus, I cannot bring myself to set my Z-14 atop the toilet tank.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 1st April 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Is it the bangalore? I initially thought it was something chemical.... I don't have anything against artificial substances, but they must smell natural, otherwise I don't like them as much. For example, I love The "Jardin" perfumes by Hermes, because the fruit notes are so natural.

Thanks for the compliments to my nose.... I am still developing it, but it is improving fast!

Muitas Felicidades, e um abraco,

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st April 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    1 Part Green Irish Tweed.
    2 parts Millesime Imperial
    1 Part Original Vetiver

"New Money"
    this mix does work...the real question is...what goes where
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

well, i have never got good results by mixing colognes...however, i get good result when i apply a little sandal wood oil and then spray lagerfeld classic on it...smells divine...i sourced this sandal wood oil from mauritius. i know, india is the place for sourcing sandalwood oil....!!
    Last edited by jenson; 1st April 2008 at 06:19 AM.

The only two frags I actually mixed in a atomizer are L'Homme Sage and Ignition from Lomani. Some may consider this a sin (or worse), but these two go extremely well together.

I sort of discovered this combination by accident while I was trying to pick a frag for an upcoming date. One of the things that always kind of annoyed me is the fact that 'most' women are very fond of sweet frags for men, while this happens the be the one group I really cannot stand on myself. Think: Angel, Pi etc...

But this is a perfect middle ground. it's 'dry' enough for me to enjoy and most women go all 'ooh ' and 'aah' over it.

Of course I still rather wear Sage by itself.

Hmmm. Never knew there was a question on this matter. I just naturally layer and mix frags to get the perfect fit for the occasion or mood. Vivek said, "experiment". I agree, just find what works. Don't worry about what's right or try to find a formula. I will say that generally, layering works better that one spritz on the left and one spritz on the right. But again, it depends on the outcome desired.

My latest discovery has been a layer of Lavandula with Opus 1870 on top. The florals and pepper balance nicely. There is enough green in the Lavandula to ease it into the woody qualities of the Opus.
    Last edited by argogos; 1st April 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.