Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Men who wear women's fragrances?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • You only wear women's (developed for women) fragrances

2 1.12%
  • You only wear men's scents

22 12.36%
  • You wear both women's (developed for women) and men's scents

115 64.61%
  • you wear men's and shared scents

69 38.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Men who wear women's fragrances

Hello Gentlemen,

I am curious to know how many of you wear women's fragrances on a regular basis?
    "Fragrance weaves a necklace of perfumed memories" M.B.
    "If perfume be the food of love, spray on' M.B.

Default Re: Men who wear women's fragrances

At this point in time, I think I'm wearing more women's designated scents than unisex or men's. I enjoy florals and for me, the women get all the best choices. I can't think of a men's floral chypre that compares to 24, Faubourg, Eau Delicate.
    I went to the Met Opera tonight to see Prokofiev's The Gambler, I sprayed Lady Caron under my shirt before I left home. Gergiev's conducting was sublime, but I have to admit, I smelled a bit like a basket of rotting peaches by the end of the night.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st April 2008 at 05:19 AM.

I like wearing unisex frags that are borderline femme (these are usually niche), but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a women's designer scent (too common and recognizable). Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue and Creed Spring Flower were the only women's scents I wore a few times, but ultimately I was more comfortable wearing similar but unisex niche scents such as Montale Soleil de Capri.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Well, I have several fragrances that say they are made for a women, but I really don't see how they can be more for a woman than for a man. And yet several "made for men" smell more feminine than some "made for women". I don't read labels... I trust my (and other's) nose(s)!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I like wearing unisex frags that are borderline femme (these are usually niche), but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a women's designer scent (too common and recognizable). Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue and Creed Spring Flower were the only women's scents I wore a few times, but ultimately I was more comfortable wearing similar but unisex niche scents such as Montale Soleil de Capri.

have you ever tried Bond #9 Nuits De Noho?.....thats a female fragrance and i think it goes in line with Musc Ravageur type of smell + Sur De Nil.....creamy musky fruit.

I also wear Un Jardin en Meditarenne which is considered a female fragrance....

designer female fragrances dont seem to project on me...and i dont have the knowledge to know which niche female fragrances i should try.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Well, I have several fragrances that say they are made for a women, but I really don't see how they can be more for a woman than for a man. And yet several "made for men" smell more feminine than some "made for women". I don't read labels... I trust my (and other's) nose(s)!

Schach.....trust me on this one....

try Bond #9 Nuits De Noho.....i generally am not a fan of Bond line but I find that fragrance absolutely outstanding.....very unique, defined and bold.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 1st April 2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

in my five years of fragrance fanaticism, i've only bought full bottles of men's fragrances (or at least what i consider fragrances made with men in mind) so far. but i try tons of samples of everything--men's, women's, and unisex. if i find one i love and think works for me, i'll buy it.

I used to occasionally use D & G Light Blue (ladies') and Cheap and Chic I Love Love/Moschino. But, it is rare that I do so lately. I sometimes still use Habanita de Molinard.

Most of my collection are men's and shared scents but I do own 1 or 2 bottles of women's fragrance that are my staples... so option 3 from the poll above.

christian Dior Dune for the ladies is just incredible...i think it's also the most underrated one in here...i just love it.

I stopped counting, but more than 10% of my fragrances carry the 'femme' label. I think I wear less than 10%. But as Schachman says - some of these shouldn't even count because they are rather masculine by standards of the new century. I am thinking of what they now call the 'fur perfumes' reminding of the era when ladies' mink, ozelot and other coats, jackets and stoles were the background in commercials of Femme (Rochas) or Miss Dior, and several others - deep, rich, smoky, and sweet in a well controlled manner.

I love florals that imitate nature. If a perfume smells strongly of natural rose, iris or jasmine I may wear it exactly for that reason. But I haven't worn Une Rose to a wedding where people, strangers almost, hug and kiss you left and right. Why? I don't want people to worry that I am wearing lace and silky slips under my suit! Isn't it funny how men have a carnation attached to their jacket in women wear hats that are more exotic than Camilla Parkers - at weddings exclusively? How did the carnation become a black tie accessory? It wasn't Hollywood, they only spread it across the globe!
    Last edited by narcus; 1st April 2008 at 09:41 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I've always envied women with their license to be flower gardens on the move - as though they owned roses, jasmines, lilacs, gardenias ...

Crystal

Many years ago I was looking for something very different......I wandered over to the women's counter and sniffed the Chanel offerings and fell in love with this one. Wore it for years and got many many compliments and women were very surprised to learn that it was a "women's" fragrance. After that experience, I was not any longer bound by the male female tags on perfumes.

Sur la Plage

Option 3

I don't get hung up on the how the frangrance is perceived/marketed - male, female, unisex. I wear what I like.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't wear any designated female fragrances - although that seems to be about to change.

One of my favourites is Guerlain's Coriolan. That is being relaunched as L'Ame D'Un Hero (the soul/spirit of a hero). I notice that Basenotes has already put this in female fragrances pending its launch.

Thing is, yes, it's a soft fragrance but I don't think it's necessarily female. Regardless, it works on my skin and I get complimented on it, so I'll continue to wear it regardless!

My criteria are the same as for fragrances designed for men; anything but the sick, sweet, synthetic crap that is so common these days, which often make me wish my sense of smell could be turned on and off at wish...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    One of my favourites is Guerlain's Coriolan. That is being relaunched as L'Ame D'Un Hero (the soul/spirit of a hero). I notice that Basenotes has already put this in female fragrances pending its launch.

Coriolan is the Guerlain fragrance I picked up to replace their Vetiver which I liked very much but was informed by my friends it gave them headaches. :-( When I was wearing Coriolan, I had a small cocktail party at which one of my guest DOWSED himself with it. Then I had to sit in a car with him to go to another party in one of the burbs......20 minutes in that car with the heat on and half a bottle of spilled Coriolan I was ready to hurl. After that I could never wear it again......but for about one year it was one of my favorites......not very many people knew of it and the bottle is interesting as well.

I said that I wear both mens' and womens' scents, but I don't wear womens' scents regularly, only every now and then.

Probably my favorite category in all of perfumery is womens' chypres, and those are mainly what I wear when I go femme.

Quote Originally Posted by josechan1 View Post
    Coriolan is the Guerlain fragrance I picked up to replace their Vetiver which I liked very much but was informed by my friends it gave them headaches. :-( When I was wearing Coriolan, I had a small cocktail party at which one of my guest DOWSED himself with it. Then I had to sit in a car with him to go to another party in one of the burbs......20 minutes in that car with the heat on and half a bottle of spilled Coriolan I was ready to hurl. After that I could never wear it again......but for about one year it was one of my favorites......not very many people knew of it and the bottle is interesting as well.
    I think like all great frags it should be worn in moderation! It's a shame you had that experience though because it ruined a really good fragrance for you.

I love it, it's wonderfully subtle and does not have a megawatt sillage - more one of those that women who get close to you go "wow, you smell fantastic, what are you wearing?"

Overkill on any fragrance is a bit like being violently sick after eating something - you can never fancy eating it again!
    Last edited by HDS1963; 1st April 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Realised I'd missed a "not" in the last sentence - Coriolan does not have megawatt sillage

I chose option 4 because the female frags I wear are, so far, limited: Bandit, Ormolu, and Lavandula. I'd say that those are commonly considered more unisex despite their female marketed label. So, maybe I should have picked 3, but to be honest, I wasn't comfortable making that commitment to female frags.

By the way- Lavandula worn with Opus 1870 is awesome. Opus beefs up Lavandula's softer side with it's peppery dry down and Lavandula brings a brightness and vitality to Opus' otherwise apprehensive opening.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

I wear only men's fragrances. Somehow it would make me uneasy wearing something I myself think is created for women. Of course the boundaries are not firm. Say, though I couldn't imagine to wear the original Dior PH, but the Cologne version might be a purchase soon.

I wear Cabaret, Shalimar, Kingdom and Black Cashmere all the time.
    I wear Cinnabar when I'm out of JHL.

I wear Je Reviens (esp. in its bath oil form) around the house only as a "comfort frag."

I wish I could pull of my very favorite (Ysatis), but I simply cannot -- not without smelling like a Parisian drag queen on a three day bender, anyway.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd April 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Hey Y'all-
    I sometime wear Shalimar, even out of tha' house... It was one of the first frags that I fell in love with. Some how I never thought of it as being really feminine, 'tho I know is it.

I disagree -- I find Shalimar to be very unisex (save in its pure perfume form).

Rich, complex vanilla-y goodness.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well, maybe sort of unisex but "very"? I wore it once thinking I was getting away with something but I couldn't even fool myself after an hour. It was just too soft on me.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

I wear unisex perfumes, such as Le Jardin en Mediterraneee and Le Jardin Sur Le Nil. I have a bottle of Shalimar, but I wear it in hiding, only at home. I am ashamed of wearing it in public.

I wear Kingdom, Eau des Merveilles, Fleurs de Bulgarie, and Jardin Sur Le Nil in public... and proudly! Ruggle, now do I get my certificate?

I think that most of you may overlook the fact that one's OWN body odor adds to the fragrance they wear...

So a feminine fragrance, will never smell as feminine on a man as it does on a woman anyway.

In fact, it's impossible to objectively judge your own scent (as a whole), when you wear a fragrance. That's why I don't worry too much about these gender things.

Ow, it's not that I wear a LOT of womens perfumes, but that's mainly because 'in general' I find men's fragrances smell far more interesting. Most feminine frags are either floral or sweet, with male frags there is much more choice.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 11:36 PM.

I wear plenty and wish I hadn't given so many away to girlfriends and cousins already. Really wish I had that Vent Vert back, for example. I'm also glad I decided not to give a cousin that fantastic bottle of Parure.

Were anyone to see me putting on a fragrance marketed to women I'd turn and say, "Let me show you how a real man gets a dose of good fragrance."
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I don't wear any designated female fragrances - although that seems to be about to change.

Thing is, yes, it's a soft fragrance but I don't think it's necessarily female. Regardless, it works on my skin and I get complimented on it, so I'll continue to wear it regardless!
    There better be no misunderstanding: Coriolan / l'Ame dun Heros has been created for men and was given a man's name (old and new). Only its arrow darts in the wrong direction, a small error that can easily be corrected.

Men, what actually happens when you wear a perfume that isn't shy, but unmistakably feminine ? I am thinking of any of those flamboyant aldehydic fragrances, or those classical rose-jasmine-lily-o-t-v blends?
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd April 2008 at 01:45 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Re: Men who wear women's fragrances

Neroli EDP.... L'Occitane
    Bois des Iles....Chanel
    Black Cashmere....Donna Karen
    Cinnabar....Estee Lauder
    And numerous others, yeah no problem what so ever. # 3
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....