Code of Conduct

Default Anyone Here Wears Real Oud Oils?

I ask because I did notice that many of you mention the Montale line of Ouds (or Aoud, as he spells it) quite often.

Now I really don't intent to start a flame or anything, but to me these are but a shadow of the real thing, and I would never ever pay for a bottle of this line.

They have absolutely nothing of the characteristics of real Ouds, only some resemblance in smell, well, parts of it, that is, which can be easily be done with synthetics. A store called 'The Perfumer's Apprentice' sells some of these for a couple of bucks, if you want to give it a try.

So that's why I was wondering if the people who seem to like the Montales, also have had any experience with the real stuff.

See, most of the time when I don't like a perfume all that much myself, I do understand why others like it, or even admire it, in this case however I honestly don't...
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 12:48 PM.

Default Re: Anyone Here Wears Real Oud Oils?

You should check out this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...axwell+oud+oil

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Oeps, OK thanks, sorry about that.

If oud oil is the same as Agarwood oil, then Yes I have tried it. Interesting note, bad perfume. For me the floral, lime, fruty notes have to compliment the oud. By itself it is just stinky. ANother thing, Agarwood oil is not cheap.
    Last edited by irish; 1st April 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    If oud oil is the same as Agarwood oil, then Yes I have tried it. Interesting note, bad perfume. For me the floral, lime, fruty notes have to compliment the oud. By itself it is just stinky. ANother thing, Agarwood oil is not cheap.

Yep, it's the same. But whether it stinks or not depends a lot on the type/quality.

It's quite interesting tho that you mention things like "floral" and "fruity", because these (and more!) can all be present in the Oud itself!

And no, they are not cheap, but neither is a bottle of Montale...
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Well, it does not stink in itself, what I meant is that even a tiny little quasi-drop gives me headaches. It has to be diluted with carrier oil and some other notes for me to like it. What Gives me hope is that the recent m7 and montale line make oud notes trendy and they start to produce similar edts
    Last edited by irish; 1st April 2008 at 01:38 PM.

I've tried various oud oils myself, over the last couple of years, but am still a fan of Montale ouds for two reasons:

1) The best ouds worth obtaining are extremely expensive. There are cheaper alternatives (or lower grades) but it's not the same - I fail to gain much enjoyment from wearing them. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to try out much of the top grade stuff but have acknowledged that it's the stuff to aim for. For me, Montale may not use the highest-grade oud oils but, for a reasonable price, it's the closest you're going to get to the really good stuff.

2) I'm still very much into spraying than dabbing. Maybe I really need to try the expensive oud oils to realise the error of my ways but I doubt that will alter my personal preference. For example, a friend bought me some oud oil when he visited Iran (I was intending to travel with him but had to bail out) and it's the best quality oud I've come across so far. Unfortunately, due to my habits, I never get round to wearing the stuff. That's where the Montales come in.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Well, it does not stink in itself, what I meant is that even a tiny little quasi-drop gives me headaches. It has to be diluted with carrier oil and some other notes for me to like it. What Gives me hope is that the recent m7 and montale line make oud notes trendy and they start to produce similar edts
    Really? That never happened to me, and I always use it pure.

Anyway, so many different tastes, eh?

But do you like the Montale Aoud line?
    --------------------------------------
    @Trebor, I understand. But I simply cannot agree...

The Montales (or any Oud perfume for that matter, I guess) are at best 'just' the 'scent' of Oud. But that's the whole point; you can't take (an) Oud and bring it down to one note, and then say that THIS is the Oud! That's impossible!

Bah, damn' my English, I'm afraid I can't fully explain what I mean by that.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes, I wear real oud oils, but only occasionally.

I live in Saudi Arabia and have access to a number of shops selling oud oils and oud based fragrances. I have several pure oud oils as well as a couple dozen other oud based fragrances in my collection.

I'm not a big fan of Montale aouds, and I only own three of them, Aoud Lime, Aoud Damascus, and the special market Classic Cema. I've sampled most of the others, but just don't see the point. I don't find anything wrong with the way they are made, but I find them less interesting than the products sold by Arabian Oud, Al-Qurashi, Ajmal, Wazir, Ashgar Ali, and others in the area. To me the local products just smell better. They are more complex, rounder, and fuller than the Montales, which seem simple and somewhat thin in comparison. I cannot comment on the relative quality of oils used, because I really don't know. I just know which I like better.

If I lived in the States or in Europe I'd probably find the Montale Aouds more interesting than I do. But living where I do, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather buy a traditional oil than a Montale.

Having said that, I much prefer the oud blends with amber, saffron, sandalwood, rose, and other ingredients to pure oud oil. To me they are more complex and also more wearable. But I do agree that there is a very wide array of smells in various oud oils. I own a very expensive one that is so dark and tarry that it is nearly impossible to wear. And others are lighter and have almost a slight floral quality.

I agree that a good quality oud oil is more complex smelling than anything in the Montale line, at least to my nose. I've lived in the Middle East for nearly eight years, and have grown very accustomed to the smell of oud. But I can easily understand how someone unused to oud could prefer the Montales over the pure stuff.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 1st April 2008 at 03:03 PM.

-----
    Last edited by Trebor; 1st April 2008 at 02:30 PM.

I'll add that the Montale Aouds are available here in Saudi Arabia, and they do sell. People who are used to tradtional oud oils buy the Montales and wear them.

The Montales do smell good. They are well blended and are usually lighter than the traditonal stuff, and the younger people seem to like them better than the heavier oils. That old man smell, you know.

I think Pierre Montale has some connection to Saudi Arabia. I think he has done custom work for members of the Saudi royal family, but I'm not certain.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 1st April 2008 at 02:36 PM.

I find pure oud oil a lot like pure cocoa: it is nice and high quality, but not something I want to eat whenever I crave chocolate. That being said, I do wear and enjoy pure oud, but find Montales and other blends much more accessible. Pure oud oil works well for meditation and the like, but as far as wearing it on the daily? Not for me.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Yes, I wear real oud oils, but only occasionally.

I live in Saudi Arabia and have access to a number of shops selling oud oils and oud based fragrances. I have several pure oud oils as well as a couple dozen other oud based fragrances in my collection.

I'm not a big fan of Montale aouds, and I only own three of them, Aoud Lime, Aoud Damascus, and the special market Classic Cema. I've sampled most of the others, but just don't see the point. I don't find anything wrong with the way they are made, but I find them less interesting than the products sold by Arabian Oud, Al-Qurashi, Ajmal, Wazir, Ashgar Ali, and others in the area. To me the local products just smell better. They are more complex, rounder, and fuller than the Montales, which seem simple and somewhat thin in comparison. I cannot comment on the relative quality of oils used, because I really don't know. I just know which I like better.

If I lived in the States or in Europe I'd probably find the Montale Aouds more interesting than I do. But living where I do, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather buy a traditional oil than a Montale.

Having said that, I much prefer the oud blends with amber, saffron, sandalwood, rose, and other ingredients to pure oud oil. To me they are more complex and also more wearable. But I do agree that there is a very wide array of smells in various oud oils. I own a very expensive one that is so dark and tarry that it is nearly impossible to wear. And others are lighter and have almost a slight floral quality.

I agree that a good quality oud oil is much more complex smelling than anything in the Montale line, at least to my nose. But I've lived in the Middle East for nearly eight years, and have grown very accustomed to the smell of oud. I can easily understand how someone unused to oud could prefer the Montales over the real stuff.

noggs
    Thanks for sharing this, noggs! I emailed Al-Qurashi (after reading an earlier post of yours) and received a kind email in return which sounded like they were in the planning stages to ship fragrances abroad through online purchasing. I also ordered and received a small sample (cost me enough) of Oriscents Borneo 3000 which I wanted to have as a kind of "reference oud" - a result of the earlier "oud thread" which Maxwell started. I'm very new to oud but having a decant of Tom Ford's Oud Wood - I found Borneo 3000 closer to Tom Ford's Oud Wood than to the Montale Aouds. I have a nice decant coming of Montale's Aoud Lime - so far my favorite of the Montale aouds. The Montale Aouds are certainly strong and I think I would only "lightly dab" - rather the spray them on.

Trebor,

I noticed that you are selling a bottle of Arabian Oud Siraj. Are you selling it because you don't like it or for other reasons?

I also own Siraj and like it very much. I'm interested in your opinion, and whether you like it or not I'd like to know what you think of it.

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I find pure oud oil a lot like pure cocoa: it is nice and high quality, but not something I want to eat whenever I crave chocolate. That being said, I do wear and enjoy pure oud, but find Montales and other blends much more accessible. Pure oud oil works well for meditation and the like, but as far as wearing it on the daily? Not for me.
    No, not daily. Of course not. Is there any fragrance that you wear everyday?

But whenever I feel like wearing Oud, I prefer something like Borneo 3000, or Sweet China from Oriscent over a Montale anytime.

O, and when I eat chocolate, I do prefer the most dark one's with the highest percentage of cacao. 75% and up please.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Yes, I like them, although I am yet to purchase my first bottle. I looking for something in a 20ml presentation. Weird thing is that I find Oud Lime to be a lot more stronger than Black, white and red Oud (and M7 for that matter). I bought a sample of it thinking that it would be the most accesible of the line.

My favorite oudh oil was from India and the most wonderful thing during 8 hours after the ugly bit (first ten minutes) was over. It's finished. Ever since that, I am looking for a replacement. What I found over the internet were oudh mixes or oils in lower concentrations, some of which were sweeter than what I really like. Except for two excellent blends purchased from Arabian sources, Montales Royal Aoud and Cuir d'Arabie are the best things I have in almost pure oudh quality.
    Last edited by narcus; 1st April 2008 at 03:18 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I prefer the slightly sweeter Ouds to the dark barnyard Ouds, matter of taste I guess. The greener one's I don't like either. I once read somewhere that the type of Oud you prefer has a lot to do with your own chemical make up, and skin tone, although this may just as well be BS, mumbo jumbo and marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Montales Royal Aoud.
    Are you serious?

I've tried several 'Royal Ouds', but these were all much deeper than the Montale. In fact, it was this one in particular that made me question the quality of Oud he uses in the first place. It's not my favo type of Oud, tho, like I said, I prefer them a tad lighter and sweeter.
    Btw, if you buy pure Oud oil, it shouldn't be mixed with anything at all! That's fraud if they do sell it as pure.

Mixtures (with or without Oud) are called 'attars' in India, but they should clearly state that.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've not had the opportunity to try any proper oud oils yet, though I'd very much like to and intend to. I'm not sure if I'm misreading your criticism Domingo, but I don't think it makes sense to compare Montale Aouds to oud oils - the Montale Aoud line scents are not predominantly Aoud scents with embellishments, rather the oud is just one note embelishing the rest. My favourites are Black Aoud and Oud Cuir d'Arabie, and the oud is faint in the leather one, and while it's much more prominent in the Black Aoud, the patchouli and Rose are just as strong if not moreso.

I think the proper comparison for Montales is to other perfumes that use oud in them, like the ones Noggs is talking about. Again, I don't have experience with those either so I can't tell, and maybe my mind would change once I tried the "real" stuff, but I very much enjoy the Montales I've tried. I very much prefer them in the higher concentrations though, it makes a big difference! And I dab the Montales as much as I spray them. I'd probably choke if I sprayed Red Aoud, though I like to spray Black Aoud.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm misreading your criticism Domingo, but I don't think it makes sense to compare Montale Aouds to oud oils - the Montale Aoud line scents are not predominantly Aoud scents with embellishments, rather the oud is just one note embelishing the rest.
    No, off course you are right about this. My main problem with this line is (and I tried to explain so earlier) that he takes a real clichè type/form (how do you put it?) of Oud, and presents it as THE Oud and starts building a series of frags arround it.

But I guarantee you, that particular 'type' or 'aspect' of Oud is not even very common in a lot, if not most, high(er) quality's of sinking grade Oud!

So that's why I find it difficult to understand why so many people like this line since it's clearly being presented as being all about Oud.

I must admit tho, that I cannot judge this matter as objectively as I would like, and maybe should, since I knew about Ouds long before I became seriously interested in perfumes.

I don't say this because I'm a snob, which I'm not, I prefer Stetson Black à $5 over Narciso Rodriquez, so go figure, it's just how it is in my case.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I ask because I did notice that many of you mention the Montale line of Ouds (or Aoud, as he spells it) quite often.

Now I really don't intent to start a flame or anything, but to me these are but a shadow of the real thing, and I would never ever pay for a bottle of this line.

They have absolutely nothing of the characteristics of real Ouds, only some resemblance in smell, well, parts of it, that is, which can be easily be done with synthetics. A store called 'The Perfumer's Apprentice' sells some of these for a couple of bucks, if you want to give it a try.

So that's why I was wondering if the people who seem to like the Montales, also have had any experience with the real stuff.

See, most of the time when I don't like a perfume all that much myself, I do understand why others like it, or even admire it, in this case however I honestly don't...

I wear real ouds, I generally try not to pay less than 100-150 per 3ml, otherwise theyre just crap, there are alot of sites selling crap even at 200$ per 3ml though so you have to watch out. luckily I have a friend in the biz...

Yeah, I know. Some cut it with cheaper grade non sinking Ouds, which comes from cultured trees, that's crap also. You can tell it's bad quality because it becomes solid at lower temperature, below 20 degrees, high grade Oud oil will not do this.
    Ow, and seriously, I mentioned The Perfumer's Apprentice earlier, I think that anyone who is interested in real Ouds and is thinking of buying some should try the synthetics they sell. For this will give you a very good impression of how good they can copy it these days.

However, you will also notice that there is NO development whatsoever, it stays the same till its gone, real Oud will NOT behave like that, ever, not even the cheaper one's.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st April 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey Domingo - do you think that maybe it's the way that the Montale Aouds are named that offends you? Like "Black Aoud" or "Red Aoud" implies that "this is definitive black version of aoud" etc?

I think in western perfumes, Aoud is so rare and unusual, that the Montales are named that way, even though Aoud is just one note among many, and often not even the main one, because Aoud is such a novelty.

Also, I think they're named that way because the bottles are 50$ more, and if Black Aoud was called "Black Rose Ether" instead it wouldn't feel like the extra $50 is justified.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Cool Re: Anyone Here Wears Real Oud Oils?

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hey Domingo - do you think that maybe it's the way that the Montale Aouds are named that offends you?

I
    Neh, I don't think so...

In fact, if I would have brought a line of Aoud perfumes on the market, I would have done the same thing.

How about 'Strawberry Aoud Forever'? Or 'Aoud au Lait'?

I wear both Montales and oils.
    All Montales are europeized and civilized scents - they has been made to meet european tastes, seems to me. But still I think they use oud oil - even they carry oud oil from Cambodja (around 500 euro per 10 ml?) and some of their shareholders have a plantation of agarwood.
    So they carry cultivated oud oil, but I believe not synthetic one.

My oils and agarwood are from India, Kambodja and Thailand. They are different, as Indians used the sandalwood oil in their technique of distilling very often. Two others are true oils from the factory.

And little more - I found chinese apothecaries very useful in order to find agarwood chips with higher grade by lower price. And a lot of other stuff too, like osmanthus absolute, etc...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Montales are not meant to be used in place of Oud oils. They are more complex fragrances that utilize oud as one note that are augmented with other notes.

They are not better or worse than oud oils, just different and not comparable, IMO.

Just like vetiver fragrances are different from vetiver oils.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

[1]I prefer the slightly sweeter Ouds to the dark barnyard Ouds, matter of taste I guess. The greener one's I don't like either. I once read somewhere that the type of Oud you prefer has a lot to do with your own chemical make up, and skin tone, although this may just as well be BS, mumbo jumbo and marketing.

[2] Are you serious?
    I've tried several 'Royal Ouds', but these were all much deeper than the Montale. In fact, it was this one in particular that made me question the quality of Oud he uses in the first place. It's not my favo type of Oud, tho, like I said, I prefer them a tad lighter and sweeter.

[3]Btw, if you buy pure Oud oil, it shouldn't be mixed with anything at all! That's fraud if they do sell it as pure. Mixtures (with or without Oud) are called 'attars' in India, but they should clearly state that.

ad 1
    : Yes, personal taste and preference plays here as in all matters of sensual pleasure. The 'best' oudh I had was indeed barnyard during the 1st ten minutes. I bet nobody in BN would accept something like that. It was a gift from a friend in India, and I know why he chose that for me: it developed into something so beautiful that I walked like in paradise the whole day. It had not too much sillage but more than was necessary to please myself. It was neither too soft nor too sweet and rather masculine.

ad 2: I, and a hundred other men on Basenotes haven't had access to the things that you may have access to. Within my own oudh horizon, which is at 66% a Montale horizon, I am as serious as one can be when it comes to most important inessentials like perfume ! I had mentioned Royal Aoudh and Cuir d'Arabie to characterise the rough and earthy character of oudhs I favor. I am sure there are different and better qualities. I am also well aware of quoted prices for best oudhs. Within their limits Montale are more than compatible on the western perfume market. They have changed my fragrant world forever, and I'll be always grateful to maisonstinky for having sent me first samples! Pierre Montale did work for the Saudi royal family in Arabia. It could well be that the all international activities of Montale Perfumes are in fact a Saudi investment.

ad3: I agree. But my impression is that vendors sell oudhs in different concentrations. While a highly concentrated oil sometimes screams to be thinned so you can enjoy it, others are just not concentrated enough for my taste. How can the buyer make sure to get the right stuff as concentrated as he wants it? I rather wear a potent attar with oudh predominance than a pure, thinned down oudh.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd April 2008 at 07:08 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Trebor,

I noticed that you are selling a bottle of Arabian Oud Siraj. Are you selling it because you don't like it or for other reasons?

I also own Siraj and like it very much. I'm interested in your opinion, and whether you like it or not I'd like to know what you think of it.

noggs
    Hi noggs,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I just don't find myself wearing it even though I love the way it smells. Rather than leave it to gather dust, I thought it'd be better to sell it.
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd April 2008 at 09:17 AM.

So those who are more experienced with this: Which Arabian lines (commercially available) would you recommend to a beginner in ouds? I don't mean the oil but blended fragrances available from one of the houses that YOU consider to be a decent representative as an oud fragrance?
    Thanks
    RM