Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Angel - What a revelation its been

A*men/Angel Men:
    i used to dismiss this masterpiece thinkin of the notes mentioned (chocolate, caramel. coffee, vanilla etal) i thought what kind of dandy would wear such a scent..my second mistake was i always tested it on paper and never on skin..in my mind it was gourmand as in Rochas Man, but no, it not! ..only recently i thought i will chk it out on my wrist to see wht this hype is all about...and oh boy..what struck me was how dry it was...and how the notes had been blended so finely into an amazing concoction...it was not sweet at all on my skin...i would put it in the same family as encre noir by lalique or a M7 in terms of the dryness and the spicy woodsy nature... and talk about lasting...it just lasts forever and keeps evolving...

for those who dismissed this earlier on paper, its worth a visit, especially if you respect scents like M7 (no comparison in the smell, character- yes)

Pardon me if its already posted..
    Last edited by jenson; 1st April 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Angel - What a revelation its been

You seem to be describing A*men/ Angel men rather than Angel.

After about an hour, when all the interesting top and middle notes have mostly worn away, I have a hard time telling the difference between A*men and Rochas man, other than that A*men lasts much longer than Rochas Man's good longevity.

Renato

I absolutely hate A*Men. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. I do not understand why people fawn over this at all. It's like being locked in a cupboard with one of those incense burners they use in church services.

I've tried this a few times, thinking that I've got it wrong. I've tried it on paper, I've tried it on skin and boy is trying it on skin a horror. It just won't go away - you have to really wash to shift it - it infiltrates clothes that come into contact with it and it just stays there like an unwelcome guest. I can't think of any occasion I would wear this unless it were to a job interview for a job I didn't want or to a date where I knew the date was going to look like a Picasso nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I absolutely hate A*Men. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. I do not understand why people fawn over this at all. It's like being locked in a cupboard with one of those incense burners they use in church services.

I've tried this a few times, thinking that I've got it wrong. I've tried it on paper, I've tried it on skin and boy is trying it on skin a horror. It just won't go away - you have to really wash to shift it - it infiltrates clothes that come into contact with it and it just stays there like an unwelcome guest. I can't think of any occasion I would wear this unless it were to a job interview for a job I didn't want or to a date where I knew the date was going to look like a Picasso nightmare.
    well, i totally respect your opinion...if you dont mind sharing, do you like M7 and encre noir....?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You seem to be describing A*men/ Angel men rather than Angel.

After about an hour, when all the interesting top and middle notes have mostly worn away, I have a hard time telling the difference between A*men and Rochas man, other than that A*men lasts much longer than Rochas Man's good longevity.

Renato
    hmm thts surprising coz Rochas man smells too edible on my skin...kinda cloying...
    Last edited by jenson; 1st April 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Jenson - sorry if I came across as overly damning... lol

Er, I do have M7 but I wear it in moderation. Once the cough mixture top end dissipates it dries down on my skin to a nice kind of creamy caramel and works well. I can't put too much on though else it walks walks round shouting in my ear that I'm wearing M7. In moderation though it's a fantastic scent. I find A*Men in any quantity like an even shoutier, steroid-muscle-pumped version of M7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Jenson - sorry if I came across as overly damning... lol

Er, I do have M7 but I wear it in moderation. Once the cough mixture top end dissipates it dries down on my skin to a nice kind of creamy caramel and works well. I can't put too much on though else it walks walks round shouting in my ear that I'm wearing M7. In moderation though it's a fantastic scent. I find A*Men in any quantity like an even shoutier, steroid-muscle-pumped version of M7.
    yes, i agree with you. a*men too needs to be worn in moderation. one spray lasted 7 hrs on me and ozzed monster sillage..
    Last edited by jenson; 1st April 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Angel Men! Haven't heard of it recently. Count me as an admirer, if not a lover. But one "from a distance". It is fun wearing Angel Men, but not something I'd choose in a formal environment. If not applied too heavily it's a scent to charm women, especially younger ones. I have made the experience that more women comment on it than on other scents I wear. Why? Maybe it is just noticeable, and it certainly feels exotic in our dominantly "aquatized", fresh, polite world of fragrances. Speak softly love!

If we're talking other kind of gourmande fragrances, I have grown to like Dior Homme which is very sweet on the drydown with the vanilla/cocoa flavour at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

quite honestly, i would not put a*men in the gourmand category anymore...you may smell dry coffee powder or caramel in the base or chocolate in the back ground..but thrs a lot goin around it which confuses one to locate th chocolate, coffee, caramel etal...quite intriguing...

Post Thanks / Like

A*Men is a great example for a "love it or hate it" scent. Some years ago I hated it. Today, I love it. Tomorrow? Who knows?!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    ...Maybe it is just noticeable...
    If I have just one word at disposal to describe A*Men I'd use that word - noticeable.
    A*Men looks to me like some hyper-extroverted person. You look that person and you just can't remain indifferent.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    A*Men is a great example for a "love it or hate it" scent. Some years ago I hated it. Today, I love it. Tomorrow? Who knows?!

If I have just one word at disposal to describe A*Men I'd use that word - noticeable.
    A*Men looks to me like some hyper-extroverted person. You look that person and you just can't remain indifferent.
    I love A*Men. But then I usually love a lot of scents that have that polarizing "love it or hate it" label - Jicky and Kouros to name just a few.

What I like most about A*Men is that it is unique and it has character. It is not one of the run-of-the-mill, generic, wimpy, designer fragrances that have flooded the market - and continue to do so. The ones that smell the same as 50 other ones. Sometimes I think they just bottle the same "juice" in different bottles and slap different labels on them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread