Code of Conduct

Exclamation Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Since our launch in 2000, we have actively encouraged our visitors to submit their own reviews of fragrances listed in our database. Presently we have over 30,000 fragrance reviews on the site.

After eight years of showing a wide range of opinions, it is with a tinge of sadness that we are announcing a change in policy. Due to falling sales of fragrances (which affects our business), we have come to an arrangement with the top fragrance houses, that we will only publish positive reviews. We feel that this will cause a boost in sales and lead to a healthier industry.

From 1st May only positive reviews will be accepted. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by Grant; 1st April 2008 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Dear Sir,

Since late 2006 I have been a frequent visitor of Basenotes. In my opinion this is one the best websites to find information on, and comment on, fragrances. I have learned a lot about fragrances because of Basenotes.

I am an avid user of the Fragrance Directory precisely because it provides me with a wide range of opinions: positive, negative, and neutral. The Fragrance Directory is a decisive guideline when I decide to purchase a fragrance (or not to purchase it).

Even though I do not want to reduce the Basenotes' value to just the Fragrance Directory, because there is always the Community, I find the decision to only post positive a very sad and discomforting development.

"Only positive reviews will be accepted?" What kind of attitude is that? You are giving in to the fragrance industry. Is it really so that, the day Basenotes only accepts positive reviews, the "falling sales of fragrances" trend will be reversed? Is that your job? To be a spokesperson for the industry? You cannot even begin to understand how disappointed I am. What about freedom of speech and opinion?

You, dear Sir, are a sellout. I believe you are making the wrong decision.

Sincerely,

Atlas

Blog Entries

::snickers::

Wink Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Hah! Nice! Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!!

In that case, let me begin - I think that B*Men and Gucci Pour Homme II are the finest fragrances in existence. I have spoken!

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

I haven't written a review yet, but have been looking forward to it. It seems like it might be good to do a trial run to be sure it meets the new editorial standards. So, without further ado, I present my first potential review (comments, suggestions, critiques are welcome):

Creed Neroli Sauvage: This scent not only wowed me with its initial punch of neroli and transported me to a football stadium filled to the brim with ripe oranges (hence, the Orange Bowl in America) in which I frolicked unhindered by clothing. It not only did that, it also arranged for my purchase of a villa in Umbria; it made me a passionate, considerate lover; it changed day to night; and it did my dishes.

I don't know if this applies to all of Creed's wonderful range of fragrances (I regularly bathe in Royal Water because I can afford it now), but it doesn't seem likely that you'll be disappointed. Salut, Creed!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Hah, you got me on that one. That's the best joke yet.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 1st April 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Angry Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Wow..Freedom of speech snatched!! Wonder if the IMDB will follow suit?

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by holyjes View Post
    ::snickers::
    hehehe, April Fools!?

I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    You, dear Sir, are a sellout. I believe you are making the wrong decision.
    Never believe ANYTHING announced on April 1st on the Internet. Ever.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Post Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

You almost got me!! This is good stuff.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Never believe ANYTHING announced on April 1st on the Internet. Ever.
    Ok. Wait....then

I for one applaud censorship. It keeps us, the ignorant masses, in line. We don't have to think about anything because the all-knowing corporations tell us what is best.

Lol, whilst reading through it, I thought we would have to like make up a secret code for getting negative reviews across :P

Well I guess I can appreciate the new policy since it is probably hurting the industry somewhat. So, I comply. Not.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 2nd April 2008 at 02:45 PM.

I'm embarrassed to admit I fell for it. I'm so gullible.

Another gullible BNer here... Took me 'til half way through the thread to realize. Good one, Grant!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

...and I purchased the rights to Aramis Havana because it has only positive reviews!

Excellent, Grant, enough with the negativity! I further move that we only review Bois du Portugal. For me even thinking positive thoughts about a bunch of different frags can be confusing. And maybe also require that members refer to it in their reviews as Bois du Freedom.
    Happy April 1!

G, that was a good one. You almost had me for a sec!

Question Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

it's an april's fools joke, right?
    i hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm embarrassed to admit I fell for it. I'm so gullible.
    Ditto....

Well done Grant!

Inventive whimsical nonsense in the best of English tradition!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Red face Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Yikes! Ok, got me. Was building up a head of rage until I read the other comments. Newbie here.

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

..my blood ran cold...I wet my pants...I wondered the streets for hours, looking for an honest reviewer..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

But hey, good news, you can add reviews again!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Ok, fooled me. What can I say, I'm gullible... :-)

Riiigghht...LOL!! Good one- Happy April Fools,Y'all!

Angry Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Darn It! at 2 min before Apr. 2 Grant was the only one to get me

I'm all for positive reviews!

-Poisson d'Avril.

Cool Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

M7 cures everything.
    It also increases penis size and brings rain to the desert.
    M7 is Elvis
    It is The Sound of One Hand Clapping
    M7 is better than WD-40

Amen
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Red face Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Hook, line and sinker. My poor cats got a ranting dissertation on the "Decline of Ethical Fortitude in the Corporate World". Then I read on, now I feel silly. Hope it's all for not!

Yes, April Fool! btw you can actually review [and edit] reviews again

Hi - I visited the JAR store in Paris last month and want to write an overall review of myexperience. Is that possible? I see JAR listed as a Brand but don't see the individual perfumes listed, or whether it is possible to write a review about JAR in general.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jemimagold; 2nd April 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    M7 cures everything.
    It also increases penis size and brings rain to the desert.
    M7 is Elvis
    It is The Sound of One Hand Clapping
    M7 is better than WD-40

Amen
    Tee-hee-heee...(better at what??!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

haha I fell for it, considering what they did to decanters on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Yes, April Fool! btw you can actually review [and edit] reviews again
    I totally fell for it for the first 30 seconds, oh, that would have been horrible! Only positive reviews would be so useless!

Grant, even if I spend the entire year trying to figure out how to trick everyone on April Fool's Day I could never come up with anything for my blog... And after that one I won't even try
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

OMG. You totally had me!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I was so glad becauseit was the first of April and for the first time I wasn't caught... well till I read your annoucement...Pfffff , well

On a serious note, how long does it take a review to show up after you submit it? I wrote a review of Pino Silvestre yesterday and it still isn't showing.

Considering reviews haven't been around in a while, I'm guessing LOTS of members have been writing reviews of everything they have back-logged. I've written a few myself a few days ago, they're not up yet either. You might have to wait a while!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    On a serious note, how long does it take a review to show up after you submit it? I wrote a review of Pino Silvestre yesterday and it still isn't showing.
    We've still got reviews pending from December!

Once the review system is complete, we'll get up to date!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Since our launch in 2000, we have actively encouraged our visitors to submit their own reviews of fragrances listed in our database. Presently we have over 30,000 fragrance reviews on the site.

After eight years of showing a wide range of opinions, it is with a tinge of sadness that we are announcing a change in policy. Due to falling sales of fragrances (which affects our business), we have come to an arrangement with the top fragrance houses, that we will only publish positive reviews. We feel that this will cause a boost in sales and lead to a healthier industry.

From 1st May only positive reviews will be accepted. Thank you for your understanding.
    Hmm, you got me....Nice April fools joke
    Last edited by greendragon; 5th April 2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Wink Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

Knee jerk reflex working just fine thanks!
    Alswys pays to read a post carefully before replying dunnit?

I'll admit that a certain chill went down my spine as I thought about Grant caving in to the corporatist will.

almost 50 posts

good thread

Question Re: Policy change - consumer reviews on Basenotes

My first day at basenotes, my first communique and my first prayer: Me hopes this is nothing more than an April Fools stunt. If it is, you've scored a TEN; what could be more unimaginable than a basenotes review without some narccisse moi; if it's not, you've scored the first recorded civet- cloud- burst in April....April showers bring May...? I'm prayin', I'm prayin'!