Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Shalimar

I only recently discovered this site, and a greater overall appreciation of fragrances in general. I recently purchased several bottles of vintage Shalimar parfum (extrait) for my wife on ebay. I've learned that vintage Shalimar is darker in color than the modern version, a maple syrup color rather than a lemon yellow. Supposedly, the fragrance is deeper and richer as well, though I have not yet had the opportunity to compare side by side. The vintage label says "Shalimar" whereas the newer label says "Shalimar by Guerlain". Also, beginning in 1962 the fan shaped stopper had a plastic cap whereas prior versions has frosted glass stoppers. Does anyone have any other specific information regarding the differences between the vintage and newer versions of this classic scent. Did the darker color appear in a specific year? Was the label changed in a specific year? This perfume is absolutely beautiful, and uniquely different from everything else out there that I've experienced. Granted, I'm a novice, but even I can identify the unique beauty of Shalimar. If anyone has any other information on this classic, please post if possible.

Thanks and regards to all.

Rich

Default Re: Vintage Shalimar

Did no one ever have any info for this?

Vintage Shalimar Bottles - Wal Cecil Collection small.jpg

These are Vintage Shalimar huge bottles from 1930 I believe...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Some info here - always a good Guerlain resource - there is a corresponding Facebook page you might like to look into - sometimes some interesting discussion and also photos from collectors etc.

http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.hk.../shalimar.html

I own several incarnations of Shalimar and enjoy the darker smokiness of vintage. The recent Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route de Madagascar in quite an interesting throwback to that quality of the composition.

Given the fact that Shalimar has been around for a century or so it's a hard one to pin down, and along with the more widely available Limited Editions probably almost impossible to chronicle everything. Nice that you came across some good vintage

I just bought one and it hasn't arrived yet, but this is a photo from ebay. it is so hard to find anything out about them that pinpoints the production date.

this is the bottom, which you can't see much myabe when it arrive i can find more info
    Last edited by Rizack; 26th April 2013 at 05:08 PM.

I have a bottle of the bat wing Shalimar, vintage, with a base that has absolutely nothing written on it. Can anyone shed light on mine?Shalimar-parfum.jpg

Mine is certainly real vintage Shalimar, but I would also love to know the date. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I searched for information and wasn't one hundred per cent happy with what I found.

My bottle has what could best be described as rich honey coloured juice. It's by no means dark, though agreed, it is darker than the current Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    I have a bottle of the bat wing Shalimar, vintage, with a base that has absolutely nothing written on it. Can anyone shed light on mine?Shalimar-parfum.jpg

Mine is certainly real vintage Shalimar, but I would also love to know the date. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I searched for information and wasn't one hundred per cent happy with what I found.

My bottle has what could best be described as rich honey coloured juice. It's by no means dark, though agreed, it is darker than the current Shalimar.
    If it has a ground glass stopper it is pre-1962. If the stopper is plastic at the bottom, then it's after 1962. The label says simply "Shalimar", so it is pre-1980's. Around 1981 (I believe) they started printing "Guerlain, Paris" in small print above "Shalimar."
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Its stopper is one hundred per cent glass. It's therefore much older than I realized. Possibly that's why it's such a rich, liqueur like perfume.

So, the fact that there is no engraving on the base of the bottle isn't suspicious?

Mind you, if it were a fake, whatever they put in is worth bottling in its own right. They shouldn't be wasting their time on fakes, instead producing their own perfumes. It was sealed when I got it!!

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    Its stopper is one hundred per cent glass. It's therefore much older than I realized. Possibly that's why it's such a rich, liqueur like perfume.

So, the fact that there is no engraving on the base of the bottle isn't suspicious?

Mind you, if it were a fake, whatever they put in is worth bottling in its own right. They shouldn't be wasting their time on fakes, instead producing their own perfumes. It was sealed when I got it!!
    Yes, then it is older and, I'm sure, fantastic! Not all bottles have stamping or engraving on the bottom. Guerlain used a number of manufacturers. There are some internet guides that go into the bottle manufacturers and their marks (or lack thereof) in depth.

The fact that you bought it sealed should give you 100% confidence.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I got mine through an estate seller. I felt it was the bargain of the year having got it for $135 for a 40 or 45ml bottle.

The size raised some skepticism on this board, because some people felt they never made that size. However, someone else told me that there were a variety of different sizes exclusive to Central and South America.

So, it was with trepidation that I waited for it. It turned out so lovely, I felt it couldn't be anything but vintage Shalimar. The aroma, when you take the stopper out, is so intense and so rich, it could only be the best of vintage Guerlain that I am sniffing. Being in Australia, I don't have access to flea markets or thrift stores where people pick up the true bargains and rarities. If I find something rare and wonderful, it's only because the scouts out there in the US have missed it.