Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Battle of Roses

I have just received a sample of Czech and Speake's No 88. I was not sure I would get it, but they sent it for free, together with a sample of Neroli. But It was such a disappointment. I think N.88 is a simple perfume, a mixture of incense and a powerful greenish, fresh rose note not unlike that of Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop ($10 per bottle). It is not a vaporous rose like the one in Hammam Bouquet, nor it is a warm rose like in Acqua di Parma, nor it is a subdue rose like in Voleur de Roses (where patchouly stands out) . I don't think it is worth $115 for 3.3oz. I would rather ignite an incense in my room and spray Tea Rose on my chest. The effect would be the same.

Hammam Bouquet is still on the top of my podium of rose fragrances.

Lucius.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 2nd April 2008 at 01:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Battle of Roses

TDC Rose Poivree wins the battle against number two seated SL Rose de Nuit in my War of the Roses. L'Artisan Voleur des Roses comes in a very close third.

I haven't tried either C&S No,.88 or Hammam Bouquet. Perhaps I should.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: The Battle of Roses

1) Rose Opulente....MPG
    2) Hammam Bouquet....Penhaligon
    3) Opone....Diptyque
    4) AdP Colonia....AdP
    5) Voleur de Roses....L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

1. Black Oud
    2. Rose 31
    3. Twill Rose
    4. Roses Petals
    5. Queen Roses
    6. Rose Poivree (liked at first... but it's waning...)
    7. Domenico Caraceni 1913 (never really liked this much)

Wishing to try Voleur de Roses, Hamman Bouquet and Rose Opulente!
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

No.88's got rose in it, as does Egoiste and Domenico Caraceni, but I do not consider any of them a "rose" scent. They are far, far too complex for that. My favorite "rose" fragrances are as follows:

1. Rose 31
    2. Rose Poivree
    3. Montale Attar
    4. VdR

I will admit that there are many "rose" fragrances that I have not yet had the opportunity to sample, and the list above is subject to frequent, and probably radical, change once I get around to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the perspective from which Circa1905 makes his comments.

I make a similar distinction - except we are opposites. My favorites roses are the ones Circa1905 excludes and vice versa!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd April 2008 at 05:16 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

My favorite roses:

Black Aoud
    Attar
    Hammam Bouquet
    Voleur des Roses
    Iquitos
    Czech & Speake #88
    Cabaret pour Femme

I don't think I left one out, but . . .

Black Aoud still remains my favorite -- hands down, far and away.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm not sure why we have this rose discussion every couple of weeks, the answers haven't changed as far as roses for men go
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I enjoy as well the soapy rose in AdP, and even more in Assoluta.
    No. 88 incense load has as well always suffocated in a too decadent way the rose imo too. For a better effect try one of my latest discoveries: Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose. There what in No.88 is thick incense, is creamy balsams and resins, smooth, warm and dense like liqueur but not suffocating; the rose there is so still dewy and ethereal yet masculine.
    Other ones I like are L'ombre dans l'eau, Opus 1870 and voleur de roses as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that L'Ombre Dan L'Eau was more about green berry leaves than about roses!

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 2nd April 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose... creamy balsams and resins, smooth, warm and dense like liqueur but not suffocating; the rose there is so still dewy and ethereal yet masculine.
    Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose. 'the rose there is so still dewy and ethereal yet masculine'. This sounds like made to measure - for me! Magnifiscent, how would you see it in comparison to Caraceni 1913? And should you happen to know that also: what do Paestum Rose and DC1913 sell for in € ? I would love to know that before I visit our¨specialty shop for exotic dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I'm not sure why we have this rose discussion every couple of weeks, the answers haven't changed as far as roses for men go
    That's simple: some answers are so good you want to hear them twice! Or more seriously: the community is growing daily!

I love cologne
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd April 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I find the rose notes in both Caraceni and L'Ombre Dans L'Eau to be too green for my taste.
    I've yet to try Paestum Rose. I'm anxious to sample it, though, as I'm absolutely apeshit ga-ga for another offering from the same house (i.e., Bois d'Ombrie).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd April 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the vast minority here but I really don't like C&S No 88 or Montale Black Aoud much. I love Voleur des Roses though. I think for me the problem is I don't enjoy a rose note that is too obvious or floral. I know many will disagree with me. I did enjoy Caraceni 1913 from my sample.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!