Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Un Jardin apres la Mousson review

My friend send me a bottle of this scent.

Overall impression - good, but not overwhelming.

It is like 8 hours drinking some spicy and refreshing cocktails in fashionable molecular bar - every cocktail is interesting combination of different spices, juices and molecules to drink - but still clear and sober.
    You would need to get a glass of Barolo or Albarino (or even 50g of Laphroaig) after to feel a bit dizzy...

It`s asthenique, with no body, no muscles, like hologram instead of a man. So it fits like the office scent, or cologne for unscented meetings, or scented air in fitness hall. Clean, unoffensive, half-transparent, office-like, fitness, purists...

Clean-n-fresh scent reminds me about a glass of water with thin slice of ginger, and mango cutted near, and a cold scent of cardamom pods crushed in hands (cardamom is the only note I like in it)... Flowery note (that of ginger-flower in press-release description) is half-sweet and stands between rose and geranium, pale and metallic. Something in it smells like a citation from Declaration Cartier - the note reminds smell inside fresh sunflowers seeds... Pepper and coriander also not natural - maybe pepperwood molecule?
    And vetiver is not true vetiver - just a part of it. So it has clear message - "hey, people! naturals rules, they are the best! but you like those fresh-n-smoothy, so - we made it for you!"

Allover looks like a trick by olphactive illusionist JCEllena who tells about The Kerala Spices Scent, but shows us purified seawater in a glass, with chemical additions that smells of spices. I`d stay with my Hermessences.

Bottle is marvellous. As always. With deep blue at bottom that goes to pale green at the top of bottle.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Default Re: Hermes Un Jardin apres la Mousson review

moon_fish, thanks for the review. From your description, it sounds very much like the Hermessence line... How is it compared to the other two in the garden line, any similarities?

Thank you very much for your insightful post about this new juice moon_fish!
    I think JCE has more and more taken this mood for depurated lil worlds rebuilt in vitro along his minimal aestethics, but I also think he's gone to (maybe) something that's become a bit deja vu and too much repetitive, quite all in the same sause that maybe has already axpressed his potential in past juices (as you said Declaration, but also Bulgari au the vert etc...) and that now begins to taste a bit as a re-heated sup, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    moon_fish, thanks for the review. From your description, it sounds very much like the Hermessence line... How is it compared to the other two in the garden line, any similarities?
    Yes, similarities are apparent: all three are light, fresh, green-n-watery, transparent, fast-fading...
    they all tend to imitate natural freshness by good work of hands and talented nose from chemicals...
    and all of them are good watercolors.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Thank you very much for your insightful post about this new juice moon_fish!
    I think JCE has more and more taken this mood for depurated lil worlds rebuilt in vitro along his minimal aestethics, but I also think he's gone to (maybe) something that's become a bit deja vu and too much repetitive, quite all in the same sause that maybe has already axpressed his potential in past juices (as you said Declaration, but also Bulgari au the vert etc...) and that now begins to taste a bit as a re-heated sup, doesn't it?
    Not at all, Magnifiscent! It is the sacred duty of every brother-Basenoter!

I`d rather call that repetitive works - The Style of JCE. So those who loves previous Jardins - would buy the next just to get the NEW fresh green-watery scent instead of old juice. Those who did not find them appealing, could be sure without sniffing - "that`s those good old JCE watercolors that I don`t like to wear"... I mean - it would not build more new customers for Hermes.

I have a deep respect for JCE and his works (Hermessences, partially Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile), so no regrets or blamings. Just one more cologne that does not fit me (here and now. but who knows about there and then?)

And did I mentioned - that this juice is on masculine side of unisex road?

Something in this Jardin reminds me 8 88 by CDG too.
    Last edited by moon_fish; 2nd April 2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post

Something in this Jardin reminds me 8 88 by CDG too.
    Is that like the effervescent part at the beginning with the slight spice?

I`d rather call that repetitive works - The Style of JCE.
    Me too, but I think that, according to his own style, a nose should always also try to find new keys of lecture, new perspectives to explore his language, otherwise what's the purpose of making a new scent aside bucks? As Coco said once, "one must always be different to be unreplacable" and I think she knew something about her style

I have a deep respect for JCE and his works (Hermessences, partially Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile), so no regrets or blamings..
    I have respect and admiration for JCE works having been a huge fan of Declaration (just to name one) and I hope to see many more juices from him. I hope to test the new jardin soon and to find anyway some interesting aspects in it as I found in mediterranée (but not so much in le nil for example). I'm glad also this one is maybe a bit masculine cuz I think after EdV, Hermès needed another rather masculine "summer blast"
    Hopefully it will be soon in the Hermès boutiques

Nice review Moonfish. I didn't even know this scent was in the works, but it's something I'll be looking for. I've recently been broadsided by the lush beauty of Un Jardin En Mediterranee. Really a vivid, lively fragrance. I haven't tried Sur le Nil, but I hope to soon.

The new one "Garden After a Monsoon" sounds interesting. Especially since you've said that it skews more to the masculine side. I know a lot of people dislike Ellena's stylistic bent, but I enjoy the path his fragrances take.

...Bottle is marvellous. As always. With deep blue at bottom that goes to pale green at the top of bottle.
    That's how I walked away from their the last time around. A deep sigh within me because my eyes seemed to want something much more than my nose did.
    I don't know if the essences were there before Serpent left. But I'll not forget his sombre predictions in 'The Fall of the House of Hermes'.

"Before JCE caught a severe case of minimalism and never recovered, he engineered full-figured French florals in the most baroque high style, as here in First"
    In case you haven't guessed who could have said this, please go to comments on Helgs Blog
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd April 2008 at 03:26 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks moonfish - I am dark green with envy of you being able to smell this juice. Wow!

Love your reference to the smell of 'the inside of sunflower seeds' - a little intricate note/accord like that means a lot to fans of minimalist scents like me. It's almost like trying to describe the smell of a shadow...turn a second and it's gone.

I can't wait to smell this. I also heard that this scent will be introduced in a body oil formula also, not just the body lotions that Hermes releases the Jardins in. Perhaps this might also put a different perspective on the notes/accords you mentioned.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd April 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Wonderful review Moon Fish. I look forward to smelling the scent myself soon, but when I do I won't be able to get your very insightful "watercolors" observation about JC Ellena scents out of my mind. Very accurate way to describe the Jardins series, I think.

We're all lucky you got to test the bottle this early. Hurray!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks for a great review. Not a fan of the Elena minimalist school at all, his recent scents just smell empty and trite to me.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I heard this will be available in U.S. Hermes boutiques next month. Is this accurate?

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I heard this will be available in U.S. Hermes boutiques next month. Is this accurate?

Teddius
    yes
    but i just called a boutique and asked, she says "around 2 months"
    Last edited by squirrelmilk; 3rd April 2008 at 01:16 AM.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post

Teddius
    Yes

My original thread here mentions May, in the first sentence of the press release

As a side note, compared to so many other "Luxury Brand" boutiques, going to a Hermes boutique is usually a very pleasant experience. Many of the other brands need to de-compress a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Is that like the effervescent part at the beginning with the slight spice?
    Vivek,
    I could describe the similarity like that:
    it is undescribable sweetness in overall impression PLUS wood-pepper accord that in 8 88 is made by Pepperwood TM molecule.
    But where 8 88 is dense - Jardin is airy transparent.
    Hope it make sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    That's how I walked away from their the last time around. A deep sigh within me because my eyes seemed to want something much more than my nose did.
    I don't know if the essences were there before Serpent left. But I'll not forget his sombre predictions in 'The Fall of the House of Hermes'.

"Before JCE caught a severe case of minimalism and never recovered, he engineered full-figured French florals in the most baroque high style, as here in First"
    In case you haven't guessed who could have said this, please go to comments on Helgs Blog
    Well, about the bottle, narcus.
    I`m with Hermes and Chanel in this strategy of brand-building.
    They made some good efforts to make excellent heavy bottles of one design which is immediately recognizable by form. And I like it.

Another thing I like - they made all the Jardins looks alike - green, blue, transparent, so we know that those bottles contains some fashionable watery-airy-greenish juices (and not classics!)
    I am only sad about reformulation of good old Equipage and Bel Ami - old versions I love more. And I have a bottle more of each vintage version just for the future to come
    Also I found perfume versions of Amazone and 24, Faubourg - for my wife to please her. She happen to like them!

And sorry, your link does not work...
    Thank you guys for your good words

I should mention also that third Jardin is keeping the track of serie. I doubt if it would make more new customers. All the fans of previous Jardins would rather like it, all the others will keep lukewarm polite smiles instead of buying it.

And Chris, I`m sorry that `watercolor` is not a metaphor of mine. I believe that it was previously applied to JCE scents by Victoria (Boisdejasmin blogger) and it is very true to Jardins serie. They are too watery by itself...
    Last edited by moon_fish; 3rd April 2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I can't wait to try this. I don't wear them often, but I do like the fragrances from this series very much.

Thanks moon_fish! I get what you mean Looking forward to it, thanks for the fantastic review

Allover looks like a trick by olphactive illusionist JCEllena who tells about The Kerala Spices Scent, but shows us purified seawater in a glass, with chemical additions that smells of spices. I`d stay with my Hermessences.
    This sounds like a perfume lab experiment gone wrong.
    -

I do think the Jardin fragrance series are fragrance flankers with no parent fragrance to base themselves upon? I wonder if we could reconstruct its parent called "Jardin"?
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 1st May 2008 at 06:29 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I do think the Jardin fragrance series are fragrance flankers with no parent fragrance to base themselves upon? I wonder if we could reconstruct its parent called "Jardin"?
    They are not exactly flankers, they're just a line of Hermès fragrances, all based on a different theme .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at