Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Ciel Insight needed

I can't seem to push this fragrance out of my mind. It's a bit of a love/hate relationship. I have a very acute sense of smell...so much so that for as long as I can remember, I have been able to smell a female menstrating from a distance. Enough of that!

This issue of acute smell has lead me to abandon virtually every massed produced synthetic fragrance known to man for numberous reasons...too strong...too synthetic...various unpleasant notes.

My staple fragrance is ADP Colonia as it just seems to work all the time. GIT is another. Now, I've sampled Ciel three times and find it so overbearing the first 10 minutes that I cannot stand to be around myself in fear of becoming violently ill. At this point, I'm ready to throw my sample in the trash! However, twenty minutes later I'm in absolute heaven. I can't seem to get my head around this fragrance, but the dry down is amazing.

My question is whether I should abandon this fragrance or is there a better way to get around the initial blast that seems to ruin it for me...

Thanks to all,

CT

Default Re: Amouage Ciel Insight needed

I like the bottle, but that's all I can comment on

I've never made it to the drydown, I've always washed it off before then lol. Arcus and Dia are much better, IMHO.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Ciel is imo the most original and nice of the Amouage frags: something across hairspray and spring explosion in a bottle (like it in every moment)
    My only suggestion is that you can spray it and have a walk out for 20 minutes: after all the topnotes last 20 minutes, the rest is 6 hours

Amouage Ciel is beautiful! It`s one of my favorits from Amouage, and unfortunately probable the most overlooked. I like the fragrance from start to finish, but the dry down is real magic! The sillage and longevity are phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoprendo7 View Post
    My question is whether I should abandon this fragrance or is there a better way to get around the initial blast that seems to ruin it for me...

Thanks to all,

CT
    IMO I'd stick to Green Irish Tweed since it works well for you.

In general, dabbing fragrances reduces the initial blast, but leaves the drydown unchanged, so that's something you can try (ie you can transfer the content into a bottle with a dab). Perfumes in oil or in solid form also tone down the top, but Ciel doesn't come in this form.

cacio

The bitter/sour/floral Lavender/Bergamot/Rose opening is by far the worst aspect of Ciel Man. Everything else is wonderful and exquisite. Absolutely the most under-appreciated Amouage.

The opening is kinda scary. I washed it off the first time. I'm trying it again now, it's been about 4 hours. The drydown is actually very good.

10 minutes. So the opening is a bit much for you, then? It happens. How long can you hold you breath?

Testing it for the first time today. I've had it on 4-5 hours now. This reminds me a little bit of Millesime Imperial, the peach accord is somewhat similar to the melon, and the aquatic effect is there as well... Ciel isn't salty at all and is a lot more complex than MI, but I get a similar vibe.

In any case, I really like it a lot, better than MI for sure. It is probably the best frag I've yet tried that can be called fresh and aquatic. Good Stuff, I want a decant!