Code of Conduct

Default Another "Critique what I have and suggest things" thread

Edit: Additional Info. I'm 20, currently employed part-time and in my final year of a Chemical Engineering degree at university. I don't have access to test many 'niche' fragrances since most of the testing places near mine are your typical Aussie department stores, with mainly designer stock. I wear fragrances mainly for myself, a bit for my partner and a bit for making an impression on those around me. Some of my favorite notes are sandalwood, lemon / citrus, musks & tea (eg the base-notes in Bulgari pH) and 'ocean' smelling fragrances, eg if Bvlgari Aqua lasted like le Male, it would be my holy grail.

In my current wardrobe I have:

JPG: le Male, Was bought this in Dec (Australian summer), cant wait for winter to wear it properly

Paco Rabanne: XS, Black XS. XS is good sometimes, others gives me a headache. Black XS is my 'late night out' fragrance, seems to be appropriate for night clubs etc.

Bulgari: pH & Aqua: Both definate favorites, but I hate how quickly they die!

YSL: Live Jazz, Kouros(mini), Rive Gauche pH: Live Jazz was a staple in summer, Kouros... is not for me, and Rive Gauche is my 'special occaision' / job interview fragrance.

Joop!: Nightflight, Jump: Nightflight is my girlfriends absolute favorite, I've been trying to find something similar but as of yet I havent found anything. Also I cant smell this after about 2 hours, but apparently other people can. Something in Jump gives me a massive headache after 30 mins, its just not for me!

Thierry Mugler: Cologne. Bought two 75 ml bottles of this since it was very cheap and pleasant, only problem is how some days I can barely smell it! But definately one of my favorites.

Paul Smith: London. Its just too dark, heavy and boozy for me. Nice in small doses, but I couldnt imagine wearing it much in Australian weather.

Other randoms : FCUK Him, Polo Blue, Diesel ++. I gave all these away to some of my 'less fragrant' friends, either because I got bored with them or there was bad memories associated with them.

I've been looking at the moment:
    YSL M7, Halston: Catalyst, Gucci Envy (had a sample and enjoyed it, but not sure how much Id wear it), Chanel Pour Monsieur and Anteus, Kenzo Air, Guerlain Vetiver & Terre d'Hermes (these 3 have the 'earthy vetiver' thing going on, but Guerlain and Terre both gave me headaches, and Air dissapeared within an hour).
    Basically I'm wanting something quite different to what I currently have, but none of these quite "tickle my pickle."
    I'm also thinking of the original Polo, and some more Vanilla fragrances, but unfortunately I found Opium pH and Obsession both very cloying.
    Any suggestions are appreciated! And sorry for *another* one of these types of threads!
    Last edited by Anthony87; 2nd April 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Default Re: Another "Critique what I have and suggest things" thread

Now, do NOT overspray Nightflight. That fragrance has some serious sillage. You are only experiencing nose fatigue with several of your fragrances. One way to avoid that is to spray on your chest and not on your neck.
    I suggest you to try Egoiste. Elegant Vanilla roses and sandalwood (though I can Bareilly get sandalwood). Alternatives good fragrances are Code and Varvatos Vintage.
    I also recommend you to try the Dreamer, when I first tried it I though of a mixture of Nightflight and Bulgary black. Also try Fragonard’s concerto or Clairborne Sport.
    Last edited by irish; 2nd April 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Sur la Plage

Have you tried Aqua di Parma Colonia or Colonia Intensa or Colonia Assoluta? The notes include Bergamot, Citrus, Lemon, Bitter Orange, Sweet Orange, English Lavender, Rose, Verbena, Sage, Rosemary, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss.

Some other department store fragrance suggestions would be:

Burberry London for Men
    Burberry Brit for Men
    Narciso Rodriguez for Men
    Prada Amber pour Homme
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste

If your local store does not carry a fragrance you are interested in sampling, you can always order samples online - It's a good way to try a lot of different fragrances without spending an exorbitant amount of money. Or you can check the Basenotes Sale and Swap boards to see what other members may be looking to sell or swap.

Good luck with your search.

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think you may have a young man's tendency to overspray. Guerlain Vetiver and Terre D'Hermes do not need heavy application.

I have both and apply no more than one spray to each side of my face. They both have terrific sillage and staying power and need very little else. These are powerful fragrances and will over-power if you don't apply sensibly.

Rather than Egoiste, I would suggest Platinum Egoiste which I think is a more approachable (and actually nicer) fragrance. Interesting how Calvin Klein seem to have gone after Platinum Egoiste with their new one, Man. I've been wearing PE for a while now, but on a recent trip to New York, whilst in JFK on the way back, I sprayed PE on the back of one hand and Egoiste on the other. Without a shadow of a doubt, the more pleasing to my nose was the Platinum Egoiste, both lasted well through the seven hour flight back to London and beyond.

Although not a fragrance which has people falling over themselves with praise on BN, try Presence by Mont Blanc, it's delicious and women seem to like it.
    --------------------------------------
    Joe - big thumbs up on Prada Amber Homme from me too - fantastic fragrance that always attracts positive responses from women. Fantastic fragrance, I wear it often.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 2nd April 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Platinum Egoiste, while definately agreeable, didn't appeal to me when I sprayed it on my wrist; nothing discerned it from most of the other fragrances I have tried. I will try it again though, as I'm always interested in a second testing (I didn't like Rive Gauche on first testing)

I will have to try the Prada mens frags (is there more than one? *scratches head*), as I've been recommended this by a very honest SA I spoke to a few days ago as "her favorite mens fragrance."

I have not yet tried Antidote and Egoiste, Egoiste is very rare in Aus and I will probably have to resort to ordering it online, and Antidote I will try after work on Friday.

Also, Vetiver and Terre were both single sprays on my left wrist. Even sitting at my computer, that gave me a headache - so I'd hate to think what 2+ sprays on my actual neck / chest / inner elbow would be like!

I've tried The Dreamer a while ago when I had not really gotten into this addiction, so I will go back and give it another shot... As for being similar to Nightflight / Bulgari Black, I was under the assumption that this was a predominantly tobacco / vanilla / ambery affair?

Anthony, I would not recommend buying Egoiste without trying it first. If you don't like PE I would be surprised if you like Egoiste which (IMO) is a much heavier and unsubtle fragrance by comparison, try it first because it's a very expensive purchase to make and not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post

I've tried The Dreamer a while ago when I had not really gotten into this addiction, so I will go back and give it another shot... As for being similar to Nightflight / Bulgari Black, I was under the assumption that this was a predominantly tobacco / vanilla / ambery affair?
    Terrible opening, wonderful drydown, so be warned...

I would suggest Kyoto from Comme des Garcons, I have a feeling you might like this a lot. Or are these to difficult to get in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Well, let me change the Bulgari Black for Le male. THe dreamer Changes a lot from top to middle and base notes. The top notes reminded me of NF without the pinnaple and the drydown is more like a refined Le male. So... Maybe this one will only bring redundancy to your wardrobe... for something different I second the incense series of CdG and the Aoud line of montale.

Maybe some Pi for your vanilla craving?
    Last edited by irish; 2nd April 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I see an absence of aoud fragrances in your post - have you tried Black Aoud by Montale? If this is 'out of reach' for you where you live, try M7 by YSL, another scent with oud but handled a little more differently.

BTW - I liked the Dreamer when I wore it, but after a month or so it was a little too much. Please try this before you buy.

In addition to the recommendations of Prada, Antidote, and Adp Colonia, all of which I think will work well with the weather there, I'd recommend trying Caron's L'Anarchiste if you can find it.

It's not sweet, but not overly coniferous. It's extremely uplifting with the mint-like notes and ever present menthol character, and the woods and faint orange notes coupled with musk leave it smelling not only extremely classy and elegant but the musk adds that human element and lends it a slightly sexy vibe. Overspraying or even concentrated sprays are not recommended though, as they can lead to an ash tray/bug spray accord. :P

M7 is a good recommendation as well. It's got a nice bit of sweetness in there. Another frag to check out is Lacoste's Elegance. I'm not a huge fan of it personally, but it does have a lot of vanilla present - it smells like vanilla cream soda to me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Aqua di Parma Colonia or Colonia Intensa or Colonia Assoluta
    Burberry London for Men
    Narciso Rodriguez for Men
    Prada Amber pour Homme
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote

Joe
    Ditto for these.

Good on you for thinking of good ol' Polo - what a forgotten gem! I'd add to that it's brother Safari, a bit more refined and less in your face, both are absolute classics.

I'd also add:

*Armani Eau PH (the original)
    Armani Mania (similar white musk base to Bvlgari but with saffron rather than tea)
    *Dior Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit 32
    *Guerlain L'Instant

I'm casting a pretty broad net here, but out of those you should find one of two that you like, and I know they're easily available in Aus. The * are particular favourites of mine FWIW. Hmmm, L'Instant in particular, definitely try that one I think you'd like it.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime