Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 5, 2008 >> Florals

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~ Orientals Feb. 2007~ Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~ Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~ Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~ SpicyDec. 2007 GourmandJan. 2008~OrientalsFeb. 2008~ AnimalicsMarch 2008~Chypres
    [For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 5, 2008 >> Florals

Good stuff. As soon as Diversity month was over I thought Right then, what next? and remembered the first Saturday, and Florals. I may even know what my choice will be, though I don't like to plan ahead that much. I'll say nothing till Saturday.

Oh boy!! Flowers flowers flowers!! Nose and bod are all aquiver!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I may be trapped at work, drat !
    But my choice will be my new passion:
    JOY de Patou....

If THAT ain't floral-
    I dunno what is.

I'm working and there are people allergic to strong floral scents....So not sure what to wear yet.Will probably go for Bois d'iris or SL Fleur d'orange sparingly and Sa majeste la rose for the evening.But I might change my mind
    Last edited by ineespenes; 4th April 2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: additional scents

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I may be trapped at work, drat !
    But my choice will be my new passion:
    JOY de Patou....

If THAT ain't floral-
    I dunno what is.
    Oh, I am SO with you, Girl!! Right now it's a toss-up for me - Joy or ...ta da...La Rose Jacqueminot.
    Film at 11:00.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yikes!!! So many options!!!!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Today I was in the mood for something boring and inoffensive... however I got distracted by a neglected Lys Mediteranee sample. Spritzed that on one wrist and regretted it, but at least it fits with the floral SnS Kinda reminds me of Anais Anais - maybe the lily and orange blossom?

Dabbed some Perlissima from a sample on my other wrist. Cannot find a decent list of the notes - all the notes I can find are: water fruits, lotus, peach, rose and amber. Tis not bad though

It's raining and stormy, cold.

But I'm in Hové's Lilas d' Avril, pure flowers in a bottle. It's spring!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I have no idea what made me reach for the pink atomiser this morning...I had forgotten all about our Florals SnS!
    But when I sprayed - and liberally - a wonderful aura of fresh flowers saturated the air around me and settled on my skin. Carnations?!?? Yes. Finally. For the first time EVER, I smell this glorious fragrance as she was meant to be...all spicy carnations underscored by ylang ylang on the creamiest amber-vanilla base. Maybe all she needed was springtime.

It is Guerlain's

Métallica

and now that she has decided to reveal all the facets of her beautiful self to me, I love her even more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I'm wearing ORRIS, by Andy Tauer, a limited edition of which I'm very lucky to have a sample.

Notes are orris, agarwood, dark rose, spices, and mysore sandalwood.

I recently described this as skank in a case of mistaken identity. This orris is quite dense and brooding in a maginificent way. I love it.

Have a good weekend evryone.

Brulure de Rose - Parfumerie Generale!

I'm in love, it's what i'd classify mainly as a Rose solifore, and usually, i'm not excited by solifores, but this one just has a magical quality, it's like roasting turkish delight that's been seasoned with slight spices. Its sweet, slightly powdery but has fantastic smokey undertones, i'm hoping some of the sweetness will go away, and i'll be left with some smokey rose

Showered off the Lys Mediteranee and opted for Flowerbomb. Also found my jasmine scented socks and wearing those. Smells yummy but I'm not sure how accurate the jasmine smell is. It certainly doesn't smell like A La Nuit which is supposed to be full of jasmine, right?
    Last edited by jillsy; 5th April 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Morning all!
    I'm about to finally get out of my PJs and into some Joy (thanks Tao!). Haven't really tried this properly before and I figure today HAS to be the day for it - especially with such strong recommendations from Chaya and Tao.

Scented socks, Jillsy? Blimey! What will they think of next?

Later:
    You know how some dresses look a bit daunting on the hanger and you think "that's not going to suit me" and you try it on and it's lovely? Well that's what Joy is like on me. I haven't tried it because sniffing the decant Tao kindly sent me made me think 'it's too big'. Too many flowers, too much spice, just too much. But on? It's lovely. I did spritz lightly, but it's beautiful and surprisingly airy. Definitely a bouquet of flowers but not a cloying one.

Even later: not to be outdone, the WordChick has asked for a squirt as well and is joining us in the gently floral and rather rosey Clarins Eau Resourcante. I'm hoping it will help keep her calm as we negotiate IKEA.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 5th April 2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Had to tell everyone what my 3-year-old was wearing.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Scented socks, Jillsy? Blimey! What will they think of next?
    Yeah we found them in Melbourne - I think they called them "aromatherapy socks". There were all different colours and smells, mostly flowers or fruits. My mother bought a pair of lemon ones. The mens ones were much fewer - only vanilla or peppermint I think. Probably should have bought more while we were there.
    Last edited by jillsy; 5th April 2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I have no idea what made me reach for the pink atomiser this morning...I had forgotten all about our Florals SnS!
    But when I sprayed - and liberally - a wonderful aura of fresh flowers saturated the air around me and settled on my skin. Carnations?!?? Yes. Finally. For the first time EVER, I smell this glorious fragrance as she was meant to be...all spicy carnations underscored by ylang ylang on the creamiest amber-vanilla base. Maybe all she needed was springtime.

It is Guerlain's

Métallica

and now that she has decided to reveal all the facets of her beautiful self to me, I love her even more.

That sounds gorgeous! I bet you smell divine.

Sillily in the course of baby-wrangling I picked up the wrong phial, so I can't join in my first sns till I have vanquished the current smell.

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Yeah we found them in Melbourne - I think they called them "aromatherapy socks". There were all different colours and smells, mostly flowers or fruits. My mother bought a pair of lemon ones. The mens ones were much fewer - only vanilla or peppermint I think. Probably should have bought more while we were there.

Ha! I have a friend in Melbourne who was just asking me what I wanted for my birthday. Now I know!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

LISAAA Got my samples yet?

Ahh, the Brulure is getting sweeter, and smokier, but the rose is fading a little. Vivek is not happy. He hopes that the rose will come back into play and that we'll have yummy smokey rose!

21 DAYSSS TO MY BIRTHDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post

It is Guerlain's

Métallica

Ah, she finally sings for you
    Pink carnations, I bet. I am so glad!!

And so I will follow you in this beauty. For me as well today:

Métallica

The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

My wife likes to join us on Sniff 'n' Speak days.

After much consideration, she decided to wear an old favorite - Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta. It smells absolutely wonderful on her. I wonder if she was wearing this when we met!

Me, I am wearing Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. This was a hard month selectionwise as I have a limited number of florals from which to choose.

Have a great day everyone!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

SOTM Apr 5: Ralph Lauren Blue EDT
    This has become my casual, running around the house and grocery shopping scent. It is just right to go with my tracksuit pants and birkenstock.
    Notes from Osmoz:
    Topnotes: Lotus Flower, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Pink Peony, Gardenia
    Heartnotes: May Rose, Nantucket, Tuberose, Orange Blossom
    Basenotes: Sandalwood, Musk, Ambrette, Moss, Vetiver

SOTA: Eau de Naphe by CSP
    This is one of my latest purchase. It has a very harsh or sharp opening but it is also very fleeting on my skin. Not sure if anyone here feels the same. The perfume dries down to a nice mellow orange blossom, I didn't detect a lot of wood.
    Topnotes: Orange, Bergamot, Elemi
    Heart notes: Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang
    Basenotes: Cedar Wood, White Musks

SOTE: Paul Smith Rose
    Also one of my latest purchase. I was struggle to choose between this or Stella. I really enjoy this clean, uncomplicated rose. It is simple and very girly. It smells so alive that I think it has the resemblance to the pink roses.
    Topnotes: Violet, Rose
    Heartnotes: Turkish Rose, Magnolia
    Basenotes: Cedarwood, Musks

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    My wife likes to join us on Sniff 'n' Speak days.

After much consideration, she decided to wear an old favorite - Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta. It smells absolutely wonderful on her. I wonder if she was wearing this when we met!

Me, I am wearing Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. This was a hard month selectionwise as I have a limited number of florals from which to choose.

Have a great day everyone!
    Welcome, Mrs. TwoRoads, you smell like happy memories to me. I had more or less forgotten this lovely scent, but now.......
    And Mr. TwoRoads....hmmm.....delicious lavender
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

"The year was 1904. The place was the Grands Magasins de Louvre, a major Parisian department store. Coty had come to show his latest creation, La Rose Jacqueminot. ...the store's buyer was showing Coty the door — without allowing Coty to even open the bottle!

At this point Coty — by design or in anger — smashed his sample bottle on a counter or on the floor. Immediately the aroma of La Rose Jacqueminot filled the air ... and brought women swarming to Coty's side, asking the name of this wonderful fragrance ... and where they could buy it. .... that evening Coty received an order for twelve bottles of La Rose Jacqueminot. Within weeks, stores were demanding La Rose Jacqueminot.

Coty's business was launched and in a matter of months he had made his first million."
    (The Perfume Projects)

....a lovely creamy rose. None can compete.....
    For Floral S'n'S Saturday

P.S. Lisa...SO glad you're lovin' Joy she's my go-to frag for ANY occasion!!! ....And Coco...I get a hint of cedar and a lovely purr of musk. Newly acquired EdN and think it's gonna be a wonderful summer companion!

Wow everyone smells wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Ha! I have a friend in Melbourne who was just asking me what I wanted for my birthday. Now I know!
    Twas at the Queen Victoria Markets if that helps. "Melbin" is a biiiig place!

Anyway it's just past midnight here so I think I shall go sleep in Datura Noir.

Started the day in Mahora. Now it has reached the coconut stage that seems so out of place on this rainy afternoon. I'll change into Fracas to go out later. I've been getting compliments lately so feel encouraged to wear it more often.Ah, vanity...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Many weeks go DeeOlive sent me some CB I Hate Perfume Narcissus, which I could tell was very nice, but I just wasn't feeling it during winter temps. As it's now truly spring-like outside, I am today reveling inNarcissus!

If you know the smell of actual narcissus/paperwhites/daffodils, then you might understand when I say the flowers are actually kind of stinky, in addition to smelling flowery. Happily, although this liquid smells true to the flower, it doesn't reek of that peculiar funk. In fact, this fragrance has a lilac undertone, which makes it even lovelier for spring. If you like Highland Lilac, SL Un Lys, and MS Stephanie florals, then you will like this floral too. Thank you, Dee!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Started out in YR Rose Absolue- gorgeous.
    Then, added TDC's Rose Poivree to the mix...good so far; love the vetiver and civet.
    Will probably do Or et Noir as the loooong day progresses-
    I'm craving roses, and Caron's is da bomb !

[If I were home, I'd be in Joy- snuggling in my cat-ass blankie. But I don't think my chemo folk would be too keen on civet, LOL]

What a glorious scent bouquet you all have composed today!!!

Jillsy, I don't know *anyone* in Melbourne, but those "aromatherapy socks" sound like great fun! Wear them in good health, and if anyone sees them available in the US, please let me know!!!

For today's Floral Sniff & Speak, I wanted to smell like spring... so I am awash in lilacs.

On one arm, Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle En Passant, and on the other Neil Morris Fragrances Flowers for Men: Lilac.

Two completely different and wonderful takes on lilac.

En Passant, created by Olivia Giacobetti, is light and clear -- white lilacs smelled outdoors, in a small town somewhere in Europe. I adore this, it's gentle and smells like promise and hope.
    Flowers for Men: Lilac is, to my nose, a successfully pulled off big, butch floral (as unlikely as that sounds). Deep purple lilac and leather with faint hints of soap and spicy notes, FFML conjures an image of a huge spray of purple lilacs, spilling out of the florist's paper, tucked in (and filling) a man's freshly conditioned leather briefcase.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

After much thought - DSH Wild Honeysuckle.

You remember the smell of walking past a honeysuckle bush in bloom?

Green and light floral. Perfect for this cloudy spring day.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Blog Entries

Everyone smells Luverly!!!!!

Quarry glad you tried the CB Narcissus.

I am sitting in an airport terminal somewhere in Illinois - waiting for a plane to Chicago, then another long wait till I can change to get to Albany NY, then a drive home. Sigh. But I am fuming the airport with Rose Muskissime

Notes:
    Moroccan rose, passion fruit, mango, papaya, black currant, carnation, iris, sandalwood, ambergris, musk

Lucky me - my little bottle made it through the security restrictions.

I had forgotten sniff and speak - but brought roses with me on this trip so I fit in to the theme of the day. I hate flying and rose scents calm me in the plane.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I am a bit of a white-knuckled flyer myself! It's the take off and turbulence that have me cluctching the armrests!

Today I am starting in Paula Dorf's Zita a springy green rose.

I may move on to something warmer for work, like Byzantine

I am starting off today with Champs Elysee but will probably wear something else for dinner later on.

Will figure it out as the day progresses,

Basenotes Plus

For well crafted, complex, full bodied florals, one could do worse than look to the amazing offerings of Caron. For today's Floral Sniff 'n Speak I chose Farnesiana extrait, Caron's paean to mimosa. It is soft, fluffy, sweet and luscious, with a stylized edible/gourmand quality and a tender, powdery drydown. Comforting and soothing, it is a joy to wear.

Notes: cassie flower, mimosa, bergamot, jasmine, lilly of the valley, violet, lilac, opoponax, vanilla, sandalwood, and musk (I could swear there's heliotrope in here too, even though it isn't listed)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Wearing La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'artisan. I am happy about this Sniff 'n Speak, because I have been AVOIDING florals like whoa! They scare me--isn't that funny? So I never touched this sample I got from Perfumed Court until today!

Whoa! I really like it in the initial 15 minutes. It is gentle. I have heard it will get more intense with some tuberose showing its head, which usually gives me a headache--but in this case, I am about to go on a walk on a beautiful breezy day, so it should be a bit more gentle!

My boyfriend is becoming so attuned to my scents--he is sitting in the other room, and he said, "You are wearing something new today, arent you?"

La Chasse Aux Papillons notes (according to lucky scent)
    Linden blossom, lemon tree blossom, orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose

Hello Ladies my first time joining in the fun on the XX chromosome board. So that I could come out and play with y'all I had to make a trip to Neiman-Marcus last night. Yes, yes I know the horror of it all
    I met the very lovely Chelsea who was the Prada rep and I explained what I was up to and to no one's surprise she suggested I try a Prada creation for our floral exercise. After receiving a sample here I am.
    I am wearing a sample of Prada Infusion d'Iris. For this one I get not just one but two floral accords right off the top with orange blossom to go with the Iris. Whoops wait a minute Iris Pallida, Chelsea would bean me if I got that wrong considering how much she told me about it. I really like the way both of these combine. This top really makes it feel like spring here in dreary Boston this first Saturday in April. What really sold this to me on the card last night and subsequently on my skin this morning and afternoon is the dry down to a woody incense with a little vetiver. This change in the scent as it moves through its paces to the dry-down really makes this a scent of two contradictory characters. The fleeting floral top, down to the woody, grassy base. I am really liking this and it is definitely not a women's only scent, those with a Y chromosome can appreciate it, too.
    Thanks for letting me play ladies I'm heading back over to the boys now so I can belly bump and watch basketball.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Tried SL Fleur d'oranger and Sa majeste la rose today. Orange flowers are fairly new to me,so not quite sure how the actual flower smell...But if it smells anything like Fleur d'oranger it's lovely On me it was almost sparkling and very bright.A very happy scent.Almost felt yellow. a real mood booster. Silage was quite big,so not really apropriate for work,though :P

Sa majeste la rose....Where do I even begin? I love roses and this scent is very true to the actual flower,I think. The opening is quite green and sharp,but it gradually develops into a scent with an almost velvety feel to it. Florals in general scare me.Often they make me feel like I'm wearing someone else's scent...So I tend to avoid them.Sa majeste la rose is defenitely FBW,though

Wordbird-
    I love your lil' face !
    So lovely to see you-
    You're much younger than you make yourself out to be.

What good smellerbees you all are !

Les Parfums de Rosine creates a sunny day in June in a bottle... lush yellow roses, innocent sensuality, and a touch of fruit.

ROSE D'ETE

Olfactory family : Fresh and Floral. Top note : Galbanum, Green apple, Bergamot. Heart note : Yellow rose, Lime tree flowers, Mimosa, Lotus. Base note : Ambrette seeds, Musk.

Last edited by beachroses; 5th April 2008 at 06:46 PM.

I wore Lutens - Gris Clair in honor of April Florals Sniff and Speak!

"The lavender pervades the entire composition, evoking the scent of tiny purple flowers crushed between the fingers, their minty sweetness and herbal woodiness cooling the skin."

Sounds nice............. doesn't it?!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

sote:
    The Different Company
    Rose Poivre

Olfactory note: Strong rose, both heady and refreshing. Main components: Damascus rose, rose bay, pepper, coriander, vetiver, and civet.

Iris Pallida Eau de Parfum - 2007

Created by Anne Flipo for L'Artisan

If you don't mind, I'd like to extend to you some details of Iris Pallida as they appear in the L'Artisan Parfumeur's most recent catalogue:

In Tuscany, Italy the rhizomes (root) of the Iris Pallida are harvested and left to dry for three years (at the hands of Laboratoire Monique Remy). The scent that emerges after this time is warm, vibrant and woody. The subtle complexity of Iris Pallida 2007 gives a scent that is luminous, velvety and intimate.

I find L'Artisans' adjectives for this parfum to be quite accurate! There is a noticeable wafting of white cedar in the base of this glorious elixir, which allows this not so flowery floral to cross the lines of gender with fluid movement. For many, including myself, the pricetag of $295. is a hefty chunk of change...so I am writing this commentary with the assistance of my precious sample vial.

Reflecting on the many inventive fragrances I've tried from this exceptional house, I can't help but associate Mandarine tout Simplement. Other than the white cedar note, they seem to share a common character that I cannot pinpoint...maybe just the simple fact neither is flowery...at any rate, the two are drawn together in my mind.

I will continue to play the lottery, save coins from my purse bottom, pants pockets and sofa cushions, with the hope that a bottle of this fantastic potion will be mine someday!

Etro's Dianthus.

From a sample. This one perplexes me. It seems almost too floral for me but I keep coming back to the sample which is now almost gone. I suppose I will have to acquire a decant or a bottle

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Hello Ladies my first time joining in the fun on the XX chromosome board. So that I could come out and play with y'all I had to make a trip to Neiman-Marcus last night. ... I'm heading back over to the boys now so I can belly bump and watch basketball.
    Everyone smells simply divine. A special nod to SMM for visiting the gals' neighborhood AND seeking out a floral for SnS. (As a Joss Whedan fan, I appreciate your avatar.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Tried SL Fleur d'oranger and Sa majeste la rose today. Orange flowers are fairly new to me,so not quite sure how the actual flower smell...But if it smells anything like Fleur d'oranger it's lovely
    I sampled Fleur d'Oranger yesterday, and it instantly brought back memories of playing in my uncle's small orange grove in Florida. The scent is right on!

Today I too am trying SL's Sa Majeste la Rose. I'd meant to try this side by side with Paris to compare, but I forgot and applied to both wrists. Still, I think I see that is somehow darker, lusher. Today is a cool, spring day here, so it is not too lush for our current weather. My roses are not yet blooming (and I don't have Moroccans anyway, afaik) but my neighbor's are! I'm quite jealous as I carefully scrape aphids off the buds with my fingertips.

Boy, don't we all smell good!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 6th April 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thumbs up Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 5, 2008 >> Florals

I'm starting today with Evelyn (1993) By Crabtree & Evelyn. I bought this years ago with a rose order from Jackson and Perkins. The sent is mostly linear to dry down. It is smooth and creamy with some spice, and a sweet musk at the bottom. They have a new Evelyn out but I have not tried it. This Evelyn is very well done and very realistic.

Dug out my Champs Elysee which I have not worn in forever, mainly d/t it having NO longevity on me. Slathered it on (because it's not gonna last) and suddenly realized I was dripping in PARFUM, not the edt as I had supposed.

However, it's still going away.........bye..........you smelled so good..................
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

L'Artisan's Tubereuse for me. Fresh, watery and transparent. The scent of eternal spring.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th April 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Gosh Ruggles, that photograph is remarkably fresh! I love it!

SOTE, From the lovely Rose scent of Evelyn (1993), to the warm, amber rose vanilla of Rose Ispahan by Yves Rocher. This is a great comfort scent and it blends so smoothly with the rose of Evelyn that is still going strong

I'm falling asleep in Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal. I think it's the perfect scent for hors d'oeuvres and red wine, that's what the top notes make me crave when I put it on. I might be sampling the edt. Turkish roses, jasmine, ambrette seed and 150+ other essences, they say it took ten years to create. Nice picture, Ruggles.

Goodnight.
    Last edited by beachroses; 6th April 2008 at 04:32 AM.

I have an 81 yr old friend who was just admitted to the hospital. At home I wore Or et Noir- comforting but sad. To the hospital I wore Dioressence, hoping to bring some Spring into his hospital room.

Hope your friend is alright bluemoon! All the best.

What a lovely gesture, bluemoon, thoughts and prayers for your friend.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    Etro's Dianthus.

From a sample. This one perplexes me. It seems almost too floral for me but I keep coming back to the sample which is now almost gone. I suppose I will have to acquire a decant or a bottle
    Your post captured my attention and I've been thinking about it, whisperingleaves. I've never smelled this Etro, but dianthus is a flower that I found myself sticking my nose in repeatedly at the nursery and was I thinking of planting some in my garden this spring. They are strangely addicting and now I'm wondering if I might like this scent, as well. Carnation is a note I find similar, because of it's spiciness.
    Last edited by beachroses; 6th April 2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Your post captured my attention and I've been thinking about it, whisperingleaves. I've never smelled this Etro, but dianthus is a flower that I found myself sticking my nose in repeatedly at the nursery and was I thinking of planting some in my garden this spring. They are strangely addicting and now I'm wondering if I might like this scent, as well. Carnation is a note I find similar, because of it's spiciness.
    It is akin to the few other carnation scents I've smelled but much more intriguing at least to me. It has a hint of that spicy carnation but it draws me in instead of driving me away.

The only place I was able to find the notes on this was Etro's webpage page. These are extracted from a much more entrancing description

top notes: Florida orange, bourbon geranium rose absolute
    heart notes: red peeper, ginger carnation absolute
    base notes. atlas cedar wood, vanilla absolute, musk

-------------------------------------

bluemoon, my thoughts are with you and your friend as well

I've been craving geranium notes lately, too, I must check out this Etro. Thank you!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    I have an 81 yr old friend who was just admitted to the hospital. At home I wore Or et Noir- comforting but sad. To the hospital I wore Dioressence, hoping to bring some Spring into his hospital room.
    Hugs, bluemoon. "Elder-failing" is my emotional Achilles heel. It's so frustrating not to have god-like powers and make things better. Hope you did find comfort in your fragrances.

summer means fireflys

I wore Ralph Lauren Blue yesterday for Floral SnS day. I have to admit that I only bought it for the bottle and the name but Blue has found a place in my wardrobe. I don't have a lot of floral scents and the ones I do have tend to be more on the floriental side, but Blue is a needed fresh, light floral that I reach for mainly in the Spring and Summer. There is a watery-ness that keeps the florals sheer (must be the lotus note?) and well-behaved.

I would rate the sillage as light and the lasting power as so-so (lasted about 2-3 hours on the skin, a little longer on my clothes.)

Notes according to OsMoz:
    Top notes: Lotus Flower, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Pink Peony, Gardenia
    Heart note: May Rose, Nantucket, Tuberose, Orange Blossom
    Base note: Sandalwood, Musk, Ambrette, Moss, Vetiver
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thank you, jillsy, beachroses and Quarry, for your support. I'm relatively new here, and your kind words make basenotes feel like a very friendly and welcoming community. When I return to the hospital this evening I will tell Paul that, although he doesn't know them, there are some lovely ladies who are wishing him well from afar. I'm sure that will make him smile!