Code of Conduct

Default Need help to identify this fragrance

I am in the library at the university doing so reading. I walk by a young man who smells amazing. I walked by 2 or 3 times and the smell eminates in an aura. It is very fresh and reminds me of Fendi Life Essence. However, since that is not readily available in this area or anywhere else for that matter, what could this be that is most likely sold at department stores. My hunch feels it could be D&G light blue for men. This smelled like Fendi LE with remnants of light blue for women.

I have worn light blue in the past for men but have never smelled it on anyone. Is this it or is there another you think? Thanks!

BTW, I didn't have the courage to ask although I wanted to and almost did. I suppose this could be another article in "Almost Magazine"! LOL

Default Re: Need help to identify this fragrance

You were afraid he would think you were hitting on him?

Don't be shy!

Lucius

It still think it could be light blue but it could also be Unforgiveable perhaps. I have a sample of both and I am considering to fill two containers with 100 F water with a tissue sprayed with the sample taped to the outside to simulate body heat. I want to determine which one can produce that type of sillage.

Edit: I know body temp is 98.6 F but remember, the water will begin to cool so heating a couple degrees higher will simulate a workout condition and as the water cools down to body temp, I hope the fragrance will have had time to reach initial phases of drydown.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 2nd April 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    It still think it could be light blue but it could also be Unforgiveable perhaps. I have a sample of both and I am considering to fill two containers with 100 F water with a tissue sprayed with the sample taped to the outside to simulate body heat. I want to determine which one can produce that type of sillage.

Edit: I know body temp is 98.6 F but remember, the water will begin to cool so heating a couple degrees higher will simulate a workout condition and as the water cools down to body temp, I hope the fragrance will have had time to reach initial phases of drydown.
    Now that's what I call dedication.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

It was simpler to be bold and ask!

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    It was simpler to be bold and ask!

We really need a thread about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    We really need a thread about this.
    Done!

I was lucky in determining this but as it turns out, it was light blue. Unforgiveable simply dies in 3 minutes and has no sillage compared to light blue. The smell that lingered was light blue. I was so lucky in being able to determine what it was and lucky that I happen to have a sample. Next time, I believe I will ask!

Did you actually do your little experiment?

Did you actually do your little experiment?
    Yes I did. This was my first attempt in doing such a thing and was a crude experiment but I feel it worked. I feel that heat from the trans-thermal container allowed the top notes to burn off more quickly and also made it project all it was going to so I could see how the sillage would do. This was the closest rig I could think of to simulate the fragrance being on another human being. Since I have dry skin and no oil to mix and change the nature of the scent, I feel this also gave me a good idea of how it would smell on me when others passed by. How effective is this? I would need to repeat it with other fragrances to see if I had similar results. One thing is for sure, unforgiveable is pure crap. Sorry to the fans.

Edit: This would be a more effective experiment if I had a hot plate and a erlenmeyer flass filled with water. This will allow you to keep the temp at a constant 98.6 F.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 3rd April 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Very interesting, but getting an "accurate" result out of your experiment is something you can't do. You're still not smelling what people will smell when they pass by or come near you, since smelling is different from person to person, and what seems to be an obvious note in a fragrance for someone could be undetectable to someone else. This could be effective to test how much the fragrance projects, but in determining the smell, don't try to tweak your experiment for better results, since it is still your nose that's causing the inaccuracy.

Very interesting, but getting an "accurate" result out of your experiment is something you can't do. You're still not smelling what people will smell when they pass by or come near you, since smelling is different from person to person, and what seems to be an obvious note in a fragrance for someone could be undetectable to someone else. This could be effective to test how much the fragrance projects, but in determining the smell, don't try to tweak your experiment for better results, since it is still your nose that's causing the inaccuracy.
    Yes you are right and good point. However, I think my point was, that I wanted to see how it would smell on me according to my nose. It seems that when wearing a fragrance, either nose fatigue can set in or you simply get use to it. Regarding sillage, I was trying to see how much was present according to my perception because you are right, not everyone will detect the molecules at varrying distances.

His methodology was quite good, actually. It could be improved only if he invited his mother/sister/brother to participate in the experiment.