Code of Conduct

Default Ormande Man - restored my faith in fragrance!

(*edit* sorry guys typo in the title)

Just thought I would let you know. I was getting a bit frustrated as I had not come accross a proper WOW fragrance for quite a while... until I discovered Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne. Thanks has to go to tvlampboy as having read his thread concerning it's similarity and superiority of YSL's M7 I decided I must try it.

It does bare a striking similarity to M7 but to my nose it is much more refined and of a lot higher quality. It's strange but it has a sort of calming effect on me. It's almost as if it creates in my a quiet confidence and leaves me feeling distinguished and of a higher class.

I have order a full bottle and can hardly wait for it to arrive as my tester has been bled dry!!
    Last edited by r2s; 17th January 2008 at 10:00 PM.
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

Default Re: Ormande Man - restored my faith in fragrance!

Isn't it lovely? The pink pepper notes in it are very similar to Arpège pour Homme, but then the M7 similarities kick in, with the gorgeous black hemlock (an addition I'd not smelled prior to OJ Man) mixing things up more than a bit.

Btw, we both have Jock_With_Scents to thank for our entrees to this frag, as he's the one who initially sent me a sample.

I'm going to wait a while to snag a full bottle, as the nice folks at Ormonde Jayne in London have informed me that their U.S. website should be up and running within the year.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th January 2008 at 03:05 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Hi TV - keep us informed as you weren't the only one that JwS has shared this nice fragrance with and I am quite excited about this one too! Hopefully, when the open the US store, they will be very kind to us Basenoters by giving some nice discount too?!?
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Will gladly keep everyone informed, you betcha.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

O-M is the only fragrance left on my to-buy list, at least at full retail. I'm still nursing my sample, and it is exceptional. Sometime this year I'll break down and splurge on a full bottle...

Sounds like our BN'ers with the inside-luckyscent track need to encourage them to carry this one...

Post Re: Ormande Man - restored my faith in fragrance!

This is my Sotd, and after about 6 hrs. this still smell's great. It's interesting how a perfumer can take notes that have been around for a hundred years or so, and play, and tweek them until they end up with something as beautiful, and as assured as this fragrance is. A perfumer has to be totally on top of his or her game to create something as compelling as this.Perfect accords top to bottom. I'm not good at review's so I am not going down that road, but I will say this is amongst the very best that I have ever worn, in my humble opinion it dosn't have too many peer's. Equals for sure, but not too damn many better.

Great to hear others share my awe of this fragrance it truly is exceptional!

Big thanks to Jock_With_Scents for enlightening tvlampboy otherwise I would be without this little gem

Ron I know what you mean, I applied perhaps six sprays from the tiny 2ml tester I got which can only amount to just over 1 spray from a full size bottle before I went to work when I first got it. When I finished work and got to the gym maybe 10 hours later it was still beautifully present. Such a shame this house only has two mens fragrances (and even worse I am not knocked out by their newest release.. way to much lime for my liking) but I will be watching closely for a new release... anyone know if there is one planned soon?
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

I'm also a huge fan!

My decant is almost empty. Time to buy!

Isfarkand is the other great Ormande.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I'm wearing Ormonde Man as my SotD today... I love its transparent pepper accords as well, but I do feel it will be a scent with little staying power on my skin. I was a little woried that some here had likened it to M7 because I dont particularly like M7. I do see some similarities, but I feel its different enough to make it enjoyable for me!

Isfarkand I tried a little of yesterday as well... the opening notes seemed sooooooo familiar and at the time I just couldnt pick it. Then this morning whilst choosing my SoTD, I sniffed the atomiser of my Trussardi Inside For Him and was astonished that the two scents share a very similar leather/bergamot opening quality. On the whole Isfakand is a nice scent but an extremely sheer one. This may work on a hairless Anglo, but I feel will disappear on my wooly olive mediterranean complexion.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd March 2008 at 08:14 AM.

Isfarkand is equally as impressive man! Try it out....citrus, pink pepper...soo good!

Erm, I did. haha. Re-read my post Pugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    Isfarkand is equally as impressive man! Try it out....citrus, pink pepper...soo good!
    I'm afraid you might be right there. (I've got a decant on its way.)

As for similarities between OJM and M7, to my scent brain, they are quite different. Could it be that my OJM is an earlier version and they're adding more oud lately??? I do get plenty of what must be black hemlock, though. Hmmm I'm going to have to do some more comparing.
    Last edited by Delmar; 24th March 2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Went a little off on a tangent there.

I adore Ormonde Man, buying a full bottle blind after reviews on BN. I'm very glad I did.

I got a sample of Ishfarkand at the same time, and funnily enough I find it quite similar to Ormonde Man, so I'm not sure if I'd buy a full bottle (though I'm leaning toward it).

But I also find Ormonde Man VERY close to M7 Fresh. The Ormonde is better composed and made from better ingredients. The M7 Fresh is minutely more fruity in its opening and lasts a bit longer, but when compared directly it is a bit harsher.

I look forward to future Ormonde fragrances for men...

OJM to me smells much more similar to Vera Wang than M7 fresh...

i just got a decant of this and was very excited to try it after all the great reviews i've heard. but it smells just like l'instant de guerlain (for women!) to me. did i get the right thing?

Does anyone else whose tried both get the M7 Fresh and Ormande Man similarities? Are they really that similar?