Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Merlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,905

    Default [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    I currently own Creed RD but I'm curious about REL since it's the first Creed and all... I've never sniffed REL but they both seem to be leather based scents with mandarin in it. Seeing as how it's not available in The Netherlands I'd have to make either a blind purchase online or buy it when I'm in Paris for some reason. I was wondering about how similar the two are and whether it's justified buying REL when one already owns RD?

    Thanks (and my sincerest apologies for yet another Creed thread )
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I currently own Creed RD but I'm curious about REL since it's the first Creed and all... I've never sniffed REL but they both seem to be leather based scents with mandarin in it. Seeing as how it's not available in The Netherlands I'd have to make either a blind purchase online or buy it when I'm in Paris for some reason. I was wondering about how similar the two are and whether it's justified buying REL when one already owns RD?

    Thanks (and my sincerest apologies for yet another Creed thread )
    Royal Delight reminds me of Habit Rouge, while REL reminds me of Knize 10. Two different animals entirely.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    I've to add just a personal annotation. I own both, but I prefer Royal Delight. It has much more "going on", seems quite multi-faceted, compared to Royal English Leather. I hold Royal Delight in high regards for combining sensuality and seriousness. All I get from Royal English Leather is seriousness... It's certainly a venerable leather composition, but the one-dimensionality with which it "performs" on my skin doesn't appeal to me any longer.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 3rd April 2008 at 01:19 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Not Available in the Netherlands?

    I bet you haven't been to Skins Cosmetics, for they do have it.

    You can find one here: http://www.skins.nl/locaties.htm
    Last edited by Domingo; 3rd April 2008 at 01:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Merlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Not Available in the Netherlands?

    I bet you haven't been to Skins Cosmetics, for they do have it.

    You can find one here: http://www.skins.nl/locaties.htm
    I have a Skins in my hometown of Groningen where I buy most of my stuff and also in the town where my folks live (Rotterdam). Both of these don't stock REL, nor is it available through the webshop so I highly doubt that Amsterdam sells REL. EDIT: I see that the webshop now sells REL, but only in 250ml flacons.

    Ruggles: do you think they're sufficiently similar to get a good impression of REL by sniffing K10?
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 02:35 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I have a Skins in my hometown of Groningen where I buy most of my stuff and also in the town where my folks live (Rotterdam). Both of these don't stock REL, nor is it available through the webshop so I highly doubt that Amsterdam sells REL. EDIT: I see that the webshop now sells REL, but only in 250ml flacons.
    Well, you could always give them a call, ask if they have it and if you can come by to sample it. 020 528 6922

    It's easier than going to Paris, and cheaper than buying blind with the risk that you don't like it. But that's my opinion. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Merlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    But that's my opinion. Good luck.
    If I came across as rude I apologize. A couple of weeks ago I checked the webshop for REL and they didn't have it (or I didn't look in the right place). So rechecking helped and I rang them up for a sample, thanks!
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 04:31 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    No, not at all. No need to apologize.

    I guess you didn't used the search the first time, for if you just go to their Creed section, you won't find it listed.

    But good you called and if they are sending you a sample that's even better!

    Btw, I can't imagine they won't be able to order a smaller bottle, if you should happen to like it.
    Last edited by Domingo; 3rd April 2008 at 04:51 PM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Just get Acier Aluminium and live in euphoria.

  10. #10

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    They're both great compositions. RD is certainly more complex, but I rarely find an opportunity to wear its baroque opulence. REL is straightforward (in an ingenious more than in a boring way, IMHO) sweet leather and I find nothing more satisfying when at leisure or in black tie. It wears easily and is a constant source of pleasure to me (I inhale). RD is Belle Epoque historicism, REL is Georgian neo-classicism, it's a matter of stylistic preference.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd April 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    RD is Belle Epoque historicism, REL is Georgian neo-classicism, it's a matter of stylistic preference.
    Well put! Which would you consider more modern, judged from the general appeal?

  12. #12

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Well put! Which would you consider more modern, judged from the general appeal?
    Well, I would reserve the adjective modern for Creeds such as MI, SMW, Himalaya but my guess would be that REL would work better (or rather less badly) for your average (male) perfume consumer, simply because it's not as headily floral and thick. You'd have to like Versailles to like RD, I think, but people who dig dunhill London would probably run screaming from anything like this .
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds, but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds [...]
    Would be a mission for James Bond 007 to get into possession of Creed's sales figures...

  14. #14
    Merlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    I visited my local shop today and the lady there told me that RD was her third best seller (after GIT and MI). Of course, the 100:1 could still be true. Nice comparison to historical eras btw! I look forward to trying it, hope to have the sample by tomorrow.
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 07:48 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I have a Skins in my hometown of Groningen where I buy most of my stuff and also in the town where my folks live (Rotterdam). Both of these don't stock REL, nor is it available through the webshop so I highly doubt that Amsterdam sells REL. EDIT: I see that the webshop now sells REL, but only in 250ml flacons.

    Ruggles: do you think they're sufficiently similar to get a good impression of REL by sniffing K10?
    They both are based around birch tar. If you haven't any experience with birch tar, Knize 10 will give you a good idea of what REL is all about. Personally, I find REL to a bit of a museum piece rather than a classic. Miller Harris makes a lovely leather called Cuir de Oranger. I find it much more interesting. Happy hunting!

  16. #16

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, I would reserve the adjective modern for Creeds such as MI, SMW, Himalaya but my guess would be that REL would work better (or rather less badly) for your average (male) perfume consumer, simply because it's not as headily floral and thick. You'd have to like Versailles to like RD, I think, but people who dig dunhill London would probably run screaming from anything like this .
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds, but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    can you explain me a bit more of the similarities between versailles and royal delight, I own versailles and I like it very much so id love to have something similar to it

  17. #17
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Bumping this thread hoping for a lot more current feedback and responses.

    I am contemplating between these 2 at present, getting 2ml of Royal English Leather tomorrow which I am anxiously awaiting.

    Haven't tried Royal Delight - only some i've read are saying it is near identical to Joop Femme??

    Guess can only sample both before choosing which one to fork out the big $ on
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  18. #18

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Bumping this thread hoping for a lot more current feedback and responses.

    I am contemplating between these 2 at present, getting 2ml of Royal English Leather tomorrow which I am anxiously awaiting.

    Haven't tried Royal Delight - only some i've read are saying it is near identical to Joop Femme??

    Guess can only sample both before choosing which one to fork out the big $ on
    I had RD and I have some vintage Joop! Femme; they are definitely quite similar. I'm not a huge fan of this composition so I didn't see the "need" for both.

  19. #19
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,213

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    I am contemplating between these 2 at present, getting 2ml of Royal English Leather tomorrow which I am anxiously awaiting.
    You're in for a big treat!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  20. #20
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You're in for a big treat!


    Thanks Hednic! I hope in a good way ....? LoL
    This is probably the most anxious ive ever been waiting on a scent.
    Theres lots of mixed reviews about REL.

    Leathers are my fav.. just havent found the right one.

    Im trying chanel cuir de russie this weekend ----》 i will decide from there which leather suits me most
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  21. #21

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    If having to choose only one, would go for REL
    Currently wearing: Ungaro III by Ungaro

  22. #22
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,213

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Im trying chanel cuir de russie this weekend ----》 i will decide from there which leather suits me most
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    In an hours time..awaiting for me at home is my decant of Royal English Leather!!!!

    So excited and cant believe im about to finally try it !!!
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  24. #24
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Not sure if im a minority ... but i was very disappointed.

    R.E.L was nothing like i was anticipating - i had hoped for so much more.

    At least now my mind can be at peace lol.

    I find it a toned down, lighter version of Acier Aluminium.

    Acier Aluminium i love, but i was expecting R.E.L to be very different and be very dominant and prominant in Leather.

    I get more leather out of Acier so that will do just fine

    Now onto my next obscure Creed ...
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  25. #25
    User of Toilet Water
    Bangkok Hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    1,514

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Not sure if im a minority ... but i was very disappointed.

    R.E.L was nothing like i was anticipating - i had hoped for so much more.

    At least now my mind can be at peace lol.

    I find it a toned down, lighter version of Acier Aluminium.

    Acier Aluminium i love, but i was expecting R.E.L to be very different and be very dominant and prominant in Leather.

    I get more leather out of Acier so that will do just fine

    Now onto my next obscure Creed ...
    I understand high expectations getting in the way of reality. I have a small decant of REL and while I haven't given it a proper wearing, I have tested it a couple of times. It actually reminded me of Dior's Cuir Cannage. The Creed is certainly less floral and rougher (and therefore more masculine), but I think I prefer the Dior.

    I can't really see any similarity between REL and Acier Aluminium. Very different kinds of scents to my nose. All of the discontinued Creeds I've tried have been kind of disappointing to me. They tend to come across as dusty, musty, and old.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I understand high expectations getting in the way of reality. I have a small decant of REL and while I haven't given it a proper wearing, I have tested it a couple of times. It actually reminded me of Dior's Cuir Cannage. The Creed is certainly less floral and rougher (and therefore more masculine), but I think I prefer the Dior.

    I can't really see any similarity between REL and Acier Aluminium. Very different kinds of scents to my nose. All of the discontinued Creeds I've tried have been kind of disappointing to me. They tend to come across as dusty, musty, and old.
    Agree with your thoughts completely on the discontinued Creeds!
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  27. #27
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Received today thanks to a very kind BN member - love it, its the vintage version. A really nice addition to my Creed Collection and looks great side by side with R.E.L

    Have finally now tried all the Creeds and own the ones I love
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  28. #28
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,858
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I understand high expectations getting in the way of reality. I have a small decant of REL and while I haven't given it a proper wearing, I have tested it a couple of times. It actually reminded me of Dior's Cuir Cannage. The Creed is certainly less floral and rougher (and therefore more masculine), but I think I prefer the Dior.

    I can't really see any similarity between REL and Acier Aluminium. Very different kinds of scents to my nose. All of the discontinued Creeds I've tried have been kind of disappointing to me. They tend to come across as dusty, musty, and old.
    Exactly my thoughts regarding Dior's Cuir Cannage, a superior alternative to REL in my opinion. It is pretty much a smoother REL. And the floral nuances are a welcome addition.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Junkie MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Royal Delight I can honestly say now that I have it, that I don't find it feminine at all. Its a true gentleman scent!
    Currently wearing: Royal Delight by Creed

  30. #30
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,213

    Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

    Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Received today thanks to a very kind BN member - love it, its the vintage version. A really nice addition to my Creed Collection and looks great side by side with R.E.L

    Have finally now tried all the Creeds and own the ones I love
    Good to hear!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000