Code of Conduct

Default [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

I currently own Creed RD but I'm curious about REL since it's the first Creed and all... I've never sniffed REL but they both seem to be leather based scents with mandarin in it. Seeing as how it's not available in The Netherlands I'd have to make either a blind purchase online or buy it when I'm in Paris for some reason. I was wondering about how similar the two are and whether it's justified buying REL when one already owns RD?

Thanks (and my sincerest apologies for yet another Creed thread )
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I currently own Creed RD but I'm curious about REL since it's the first Creed and all... I've never sniffed REL but they both seem to be leather based scents with mandarin in it. Seeing as how it's not available in The Netherlands I'd have to make either a blind purchase online or buy it when I'm in Paris for some reason. I was wondering about how similar the two are and whether it's justified buying REL when one already owns RD?

Thanks (and my sincerest apologies for yet another Creed thread )
    Royal Delight reminds me of Habit Rouge, while REL reminds me of Knize 10. Two different animals entirely.

I've to add just a personal annotation. I own both, but I prefer Royal Delight. It has much more "going on", seems quite multi-faceted, compared to Royal English Leather. I hold Royal Delight in high regards for combining sensuality and seriousness. All I get from Royal English Leather is seriousness... It's certainly a venerable leather composition, but the one-dimensionality with which it "performs" on my skin doesn't appeal to me any longer.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 3rd April 2008 at 01:19 PM.

Not Available in the Netherlands?

I bet you haven't been to Skins Cosmetics, for they do have it.

You can find one here: http://www.skins.nl/locaties.htm
    Last edited by Domingo; 3rd April 2008 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Not Available in the Netherlands?

I bet you haven't been to Skins Cosmetics, for they do have it.

You can find one here: http://www.skins.nl/locaties.htm
    I have a Skins in my hometown of Groningen where I buy most of my stuff and also in the town where my folks live (Rotterdam). Both of these don't stock REL, nor is it available through the webshop so I highly doubt that Amsterdam sells REL. EDIT: I see that the webshop now sells REL, but only in 250ml flacons.

Ruggles: do you think they're sufficiently similar to get a good impression of REL by sniffing K10?
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 02:35 PM.

I have a Skins in my hometown of Groningen where I buy most of my stuff and also in the town where my folks live (Rotterdam). Both of these don't stock REL, nor is it available through the webshop so I highly doubt that Amsterdam sells REL. EDIT: I see that the webshop now sells REL, but only in 250ml flacons.
    Well, you could always give them a call, ask if they have it and if you can come by to sample it. 020 528 6922

It's easier than going to Paris, and cheaper than buying blind with the risk that you don't like it. But that's my opinion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    But that's my opinion. Good luck.
    If I came across as rude I apologize. A couple of weeks ago I checked the webshop for REL and they didn't have it (or I didn't look in the right place). So rechecking helped and I rang them up for a sample, thanks!
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 04:31 PM.

No, not at all. No need to apologize.

I guess you didn't used the search the first time, for if you just go to their Creed section, you won't find it listed.

But good you called and if they are sending you a sample that's even better!

Btw, I can't imagine they won't be able to order a smaller bottle, if you should happen to like it.
    Last edited by Domingo; 3rd April 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Just get Acier Aluminium and live in euphoria.

They're both great compositions. RD is certainly more complex, but I rarely find an opportunity to wear its baroque opulence. REL is straightforward (in an ingenious more than in a boring way, IMHO) sweet leather and I find nothing more satisfying when at leisure or in black tie. It wears easily and is a constant source of pleasure to me (I inhale). RD is Belle Epoque historicism, REL is Georgian neo-classicism, it's a matter of stylistic preference.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd April 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    RD is Belle Epoque historicism, REL is Georgian neo-classicism, it's a matter of stylistic preference.
    Well put! Which would you consider more modern, judged from the general appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Well put! Which would you consider more modern, judged from the general appeal?
    Well, I would reserve the adjective modern for Creeds such as MI, SMW, Himalaya but my guess would be that REL would work better (or rather less badly) for your average (male) perfume consumer, simply because it's not as headily floral and thick. You'd have to like Versailles to like RD, I think, but people who dig dunhill London would probably run screaming from anything like this .
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds, but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds [...]
    Would be a mission for James Bond 007 to get into possession of Creed's sales figures...

but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    I visited my local shop today and the lady there told me that RD was her third best seller (after GIT and MI). Of course, the 100:1 could still be true. Nice comparison to historical eras btw! I look forward to trying it, hope to have the sample by tomorrow.
    Last edited by Merlino; 3rd April 2008 at 07:48 PM.

Ruggles: do you think they're sufficiently similar to get a good impression of REL by sniffing K10?
    They both are based around birch tar. If you haven't any experience with birch tar, Knize 10 will give you a good idea of what REL is all about. Personally, I find REL to a bit of a museum piece rather than a classic. Miller Harris makes a lovely leather called Cuir de Oranger. I find it much more interesting. Happy hunting!

Well, I would reserve the adjective modern for Creeds such as MI, SMW, Himalaya but my guess would be that REL would work better (or rather less badly) for your average (male) perfume consumer, simply because it's not as headily floral and thick. You'd have to like Versailles to like RD, I think, but people who dig dunhill London would probably run screaming from anything like this .
    It would be interesting to see the sales figures for Creeds, but I'm pretty sure GIT outsells REL or RD 100:1.
    can you explain me a bit more of the similarities between versailles and royal delight, I own versailles and I like it very much so id love to have something similar to it